Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Forktoss posted:

Oh come now, let Zygons be Zygons

Can't we sll just get beyond Thunderdome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ashpanash posted:

Can't we sll just get beyond Thunderdome?

You made a typo, man, and you didn't even have a setup. Poor show.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

DoctorWhat posted:

You made a typo, man, and you didn't even have a setup. Poor show.

If he had an ounce of pride, he would tender his resignation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Official Synopsis for The Day of the Doctor

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/11/brief-synopsis-for-doctor-who-50th.html

“In 2013, something terrible is awakening in London’s National Gallery; in 1562, a murderous plot is afoot in Elizabethan England; and somewhere in space an ancient battle reaches its devastating conclusion. All of reality is at stake as the Doctor’s own dangerous past comes back to haunt him.”

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

“In 2013, something terrible is awakening in London’s National Gallery; in 1562, a murderous plot is afoot in Elizabethan England; and somewhere in space an ancient battle reaches its devastating conclusion. All of reality is at stake as the Doctor’s own dangerous past comes back to haunt him.”

He has to pay the fourth doctor's pub tab

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

egon_beeblebrox posted:

NOT AGAIN!?!?

I just finished cleaning it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I guess it doesn't have the same cachet if it was just 'some of Slough is at stake!'

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

The_Doctor posted:

I guess it doesn't have the same cachet if it was just 'some of Slough is at stake!'

I'd personally dig an adventure where only a small UK town is at stake for a change. "The Doctor must race to save Hazlemere!" :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd personally dig an adventure where only a small UK town is at stake for a change. "The Doctor must race to save Hazlemere!" :v:

Not even the Doctor would want to go to Chelsea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doctor Who Saves Belfast.

It worked out fine for Captain Planet.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's like somebody looked at the set spoiler pics and wrote a synopsis. :golfclap:

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I don't know if there's been any confirmation yet, but from the Children in Need advert I just saw on BBC Two, it looks like we'll be getting a proper trailer via Pudsey on the 15th of November.

We got the first few minutes of End of Time that way didn't we?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd personally dig an adventure where only a small UK town is at stake for a change.

It's a Wonderful Life was about saving a single life. And for all the poo poo people give RTD, he frequently recognized and exulted the inherent value in a single human's existence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

It's a Wonderful Life was about saving a single life. And for all the poo poo people give RTD, he frequently recognized and exulted the inherent value in a single human's existence.

I have heard (it might have been in The Writer's Tale but I'm not completely sure) that he originally planned for "The End Of Time" to be a more low-key affair, and Ten would've regenerated after sacrificing his life to save a single alien family.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was still pretty neat the way it was, he was in the clear but had to sacrifice himself to save that one old dude. I liked his little rant about it a lot. For all his faults, Russell T could write some good dialogue and do interesting things with the character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration. It felt so weird for Ten to forestall the process and actually complain about having to go. Every other Doc accepted that his time was up. Eleven should do the same.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration. It felt so weird for Ten to forestall the process and actually complain about having to go. Every other Doc accepted that his time was up. Eleven should do the same.

I think it helps underline the fact that each incarnation of the Doctor is a different facet of the same person. It makes total sense that at least one incarnation of the Doctor wanted more time; and it was set up as part of the story. The whole cafe scene with Wilf stressed that from a certain point of view, regeneration is still death. 10 dies, 11 walks away.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

It was still pretty neat the way it was, he was in the clear but had to sacrifice himself to save that one old dude. I liked his little rant about it a lot. For all his faults, Russell T could write some good dialogue and do interesting things with the character.

Sure, there were some pretty good scenes in it. Shame about everything else.

Part of the problem with "The End Of Time" is that it can be difficult to divorce the fact that it's the last Tenth Doctor story from the corresponding fact that it's also the last RTD and David Tennant story. I suppose there's an element of that in every regeneration episode, but I found it especially distracting in "The End Of Time" because, well, aside from the telefilm and Christopher Eccleston's last episode, I wasn't actually alive when any of the other regeneration stories were broadcast.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it was less complaining and more fear of mortality. Since interviews and such indicated Moffat is addressing the regeneration limit, it stands to reason that 10 knew he was 1 life closer to dying and that was coming sooner than later. Depending on where Doctor Hurt fits in, he knew he was regenerating into his 3rd or 2nd to last body. It's understandable that he'd be upset.

I would expect more of the same when 11 goes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration.

The last time Eleven faced imminent death, he took the time to put on a tuxedo. The dude is nothing if not dignified.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Another synopsis:

quote:

The Doctor and Clara are still stuck in the Doctor's timeline, and the only way out is to open the lock on the Doctor's darkest day, The Time War.

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...7noa8lfuw%3d%3d

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My friends and I were discussing that possibility recently, the last time we saw them they ran away, we saw John Hurt and then TO BE CONTINUED. We never actually see them escape.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Run time 86 minutes?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Metal Loaf posted:

... I wasn't actually alive when any of the other regeneration stories were broadcast.

You're only 17? :colbert:

vvv Oh, my mistake. I missed that and just assumed thay he ignored the TV movie like a lot of people do.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 5, 2013

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Blasphemeral posted:

He did mention besides the telefilm

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

No, I'm 21.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Twisted Perspective posted:

Run time 86 minutes?

There's an 86-minute cut that was certified by the BBFC last month for the theatrical showing of The Day of the Doctor; the additional ten minutes comprise a behind-the-scenes segment.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Third Doctor hung about in the vortex for several weeks until he was returned to his lab at UNIT HQ.

And the Second was rather indignant about his forced regeneration.

And the Seventh was murdered by a companion. (some count Grace as a companion.)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 5, 2013

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The Third Doctor hung about in the vortex for several weeks until he was returned to his lab at UNIT HQ.

And the Second was rather indignant about his forced regeneration.

And the Seventh was murdered by a companion. (some count Grace as a companion.)

Five goes out in a screaming circle of regret and immediately strangles his companion, Four looks exhausted with his entire existence, and there is nothing dignified about the Colin Baker wig. I get that The End of Time has its problems, but I've never thought Ten regretting his regeneration was one of them and actually think its one of the better parts of the episodes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How does making regeneration more traumatic and more like death give it less dignity

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Doctor Who fans: crying over imagined slights to a TV show that never existed.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I have heard (it might have been in The Writer's Tale but I'm not completely sure) that he originally planned for "The End Of Time" to be a more low-key affair, and Ten would've regenerated after sacrificing his life to save a single alien family.

Well, and at the very end, he kinda does. He's already saved the day and beaten all bad guys and stopped the Master and should be ready to jet off for yet another adventure in time and space. The Doctor could just let Wilf die; Wilf's an old man who's already lived a long life, and no one would ever know. But if he did that, then he wouldn't be the Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

Well, and at the very end, he kinda does. He's already saved the day and beaten all bad guys and stopped the Master and should be ready to jet off for yet another adventure in time and space. The Doctor could just let Wilf die; Wilf's an old man who's already lived a long life, and no one would ever know. But if he did that, then he wouldn't be the Doctor.

Plus the way he yells at Wilf, then kind of realizes he's being a dick and says "You live too long..." is a nice little human moment. The RTD years could be over-heavy on the melodrama to be sure, but some of the stuff like Tennant and Wilf, the Davros speech and whatnot do kind of take the Doctor off of his pedestal and make him face up to the side effects of his philosophy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spoilers Below posted:

Oh, yeah, absolutely. It's just that from what I've heard that was going to be a bigger thing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but as I thought about it, I thought it was brilliant. It's a wonderful parallel to Human Nature/Family of Blood. John Smith was terrified to go, to give up his life and memories, even if many of them were fake. Even when it was elaborated upon that he would live on in the Doctor, he was still afraid and thought it wasn't fair. But he was brave and still chose to "die" to save everyone else.

The Doctor retains John Smith's memories, the way he felt, and his personality, just as he has those things of all the other Doctors. It seems like he was deeply affected by his brief time as a human, and him being terrified of dying and having another man carry on with his memories is likely a carry-over from how John Smith felt. But, just like John Smith, he chooses to die so that another may live. But instead of dying so that somebody important may live, or to save a large number of people, it's the reverse. The Doctor faces his "mortality" in order to save somebody who is, in the grand scheme of things, insignificant -- just like John Smith was.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 6, 2013

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jsor posted:

I wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but as I about thought it, I thought it was brilliant. It's a wonderful parallel to Human Nature/Family of Blood. John Smith was terrified to go, to give up his life and memories, even if many of them were fake. Even when it was elaborated upon that he would live on in the Doctor, he was still afraid and thought it wasn't fair. But he was brave and still chose to "die" to save everyone else.

The Doctor retains John Smith's memories, the way he felt, and his personality, just as he has those things of all the other Doctors. It seems like he was deeply affected by his brief time as a human, and him being terrified of dying and having another man carry on with his memories is likely a carry-over from how John Smith felt. But, just like John Smith, he chooses to die so that another may live. But instead of dying so that somebody important may live, or to save a large number of people, it's the reverse. The Doctor faces his "mortality" in order to save somebody who is, in the grand scheme of things, insignificant -- just like John Smith was.

I really like that interpretation. Even if I don't really think it was intentional.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I really like that interpretation. Even if I don't really think it was intentional.

Davis goes out of his way to show that Ten is thinking about the emotional resonance of those events by having him go to the book signing for A Journal of Impossible Things - he ties the two episodes together very clearly in that scene.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Bicyclops posted:

Five goes out in a screaming circle of regret and immediately strangles his companion...

You're thinking of six. Five dies of poisonous gas inhalation after giving his companion the only dose of antitoxin. He hallucinates his previous companions urging him to keep fighting and stay alive.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Blasphemeral posted:

You're thinking of six. Five dies of poisonous gas inhalation after giving his companion the only dose of antitoxin. He hallucinates his previous companions urging him to keep fighting and stay alive.

Five seeing Adric one last time made Six want to lash out at the Nearest Available living thing. Which I think is a pretty normal reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blasphemeral posted:

Right, I meant that Five went out in the circle of regret (his companions all circling him and making him feel miserable) and upon regeneration into Six strangled somebody.

Either way, regeneration hasn't usually had a hell of a lot of dignity to it.

• Locked thread