Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

sitchelin posted:

I sent you a friend invite and you never responded. :(

Still, I'll help you juice up your guy because I'm cool like that.

I never saw a friend request show up. Just sent it again saying your from SA and I will accept it.

[edit] Also amusing got the last person who used my pawn's rift coins and items after starting a new game. Probably helps she the same name and all.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also picked this up thanks to PS+, I think I'll be doing Warrior > Assassin just because holy poo poo open world Devil May Cry

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also picked this up thanks to PS+, I think I'll be doing Warrior > Assassin just because holy poo poo open world Devil May Cry

Nifty, it's on Plus now. I can finally play through the Dark Arisen stuff. I can't even imagine how much garbage my pawn has collected since last year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Enjoy. The Dark Arisen content is what happens when you polish the things Dragon's Dogma does well to a mirror shine. Even the story has a lot to look forward to.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Harrow posted:

Enjoy. The Dark Arisen content is what happens when you polish the things Dragon's Dogma does well to a mirror shine. Even the story has a lot to look forward to.
Yeah, Capcom really hit the sweet spot with this game for me. I can only hope that a sequel is in the works for the next gen consoles.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, Capcom really hit the sweet spot with this game for me. I can only hope that a sequel is in the works for the next gen consoles.

Well, Capcom is releasing Deep Down for the ps4 sometime in the future. It's a procedurally generated multiplayer(?) dungeon crawling thing that looks pretty similar to BBI in terms of execution, though it's not part of the Dragma IP.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 6, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Well, Capcom is releasing Deep Down for the ps4 sometime in the future. It's a procedurally generated multiplayer(?) dungeon crawling thing that looks pretty similar to BBI in terms of execution, though it's not part of the Dragma IP.

I'm interested in how Deep Down seems to handle melee combat. The one gameplay video I've seen has the player using a spear exclusively, but it shows that you can aim with melee weapons to target different parts of enemies' bodies, which looks pretty awesome. The spear doesn't have any "combo attacks" or anything, though, so it's mostly just poking, and I'd love to see how it works with other weapon types.

Also, and this is just me caring way too much about interfaces, there wasn't any health indicator I could see (and the player didn't seem to take much damage from attacks, probably for demo purposes). I'm wondering if there'll be a health meter of some sort in the actual release, or if it's going to do one of those "damage shows on your character" things instead.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also, and this is just me caring way too much about interfaces, there wasn't any health indicator I could see (and the player didn't seem to take much damage from attacks, probably for demo purposes). I'm wondering if there'll be a health meter of some sort in the actual release, or if it's going to do one of those "damage shows on your character" things instead.

One of the articles I read said that there is a casual mode available (for the demo at the very least) that made things safer.

It would be awesome if you could cripple/chop off enemy's limbs by how you direct your attacks. Reminds me of Shadow Tower Abyss, a bit.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've played the poo poo out of this on the XBox, and dont' at all mind the justification to start a fresh game courtesy of my PS+ privileges. Is there any way to 'trick' DA into perceiving an older version was played, in order to get the perks?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

5er posted:

I've played the poo poo out of this on the XBox, and dont' at all mind the justification to start a fresh game courtesy of my PS+ privileges. Is there any way to 'trick' DA into perceiving an older version was played, in order to get the perks?

If you don't have a save file from DD you can't get the import bonuses. You can get a save online and edit it to be useable by your account, if you want (I saw a post by Gibbed telling how to do this while skimming the thread, no idea where it is).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

5er posted:

It will ask you if you want to import your dragon's dogma save. Doesn't work cross-platform though.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
From the Playstation Store thread:

Rirse posted:

Oh sweet, I was able to use BruteForce Save Editor to change the Dragon Dogma (original) on Gamefaqs to my PS3 so I can get the import bonus on Dark Arisen :toot:.

All you have to do is just copy a save you have on the PS3 over, download BruteForce Save Editor and get the console information from it and then just update the owner of the Gamefaqs save (found here) and the game will now notice it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Huh, only 26 people used my pawn in over a year. Guess he was pretty high level but still, I'm surprised. 591,797 rift crystals though. Blows the upgrade reward out of the water. Nobody gave me anything, either. Does that stuff not carry over from the base game?

hah, and his average review was two stars but he still has five in everything so gently caress those jerks anyway. :colbert:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Thanks for the help, seems somewhat convoluted but worth trying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Huh, only 26 people used my pawn in over a year. Guess he was pretty high level but still, I'm surprised. 591,797 rift crystals though. Blows the upgrade reward out of the water. Nobody gave me anything, either. Does that stuff not carry over from the base game?

hah, and his average review was two stars but he still has five in everything so gently caress those jerks anyway. :colbert:

Dark Arisen players can't gift anything to vanilla pawns, so that might explain why you didn't get any gifts, at least partially. And ratings can get dragged down pretty bad by players letting your pawn die (or fall of bridges, or into the brine, or anything else like that), since that automatically sends them back with 3 stars in every category and no gift.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Makes sense. Where do I go to start the Dark Arisen content? I left the game last time in the end game of NG+, I dunno if that affects anything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Makes sense. Where do I go to start the Dark Arisen content? I left the game last time in the end game of NG+, I dunno if that affects anything.

Go to the Cassardis docks at nighttime.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Go to the Cassardis docks at nighttime.

Cool, thanks.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I'm still hoping for a real sequel since what I've read about Deep Down hasn't really convinced me yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm still hoping for a real sequel since what I've read about Deep Down hasn't really convinced me yet.

Deep Down is definitely much more reminiscent of Demon's Souls (but with randomized environments) than Dragon's Dogma, that's for sure. The gameplay looks nothing like Dragon's Dogma, for one thing, though it still looks like a game I'll enjoy. I really, really hope there'll be an actual sequel to DD down the line as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would be so disappointed if they didn't do that. Also a PC port of Dark Arisen, though that'll never happen. They only need to do three things to make one of the best games, period:

-Fix the open world. It's garbage in DD.
-Fix the quests. I don't mind there being miscellaneous "kill X Y amount of times" quests but that's basically every quest in the game.
-Make the entire plot like everything that happens when the dragon reappears and beyond. Most of the plot is so dull and bland but then it goes insane in the best way possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The plot of Dark Arisen makes it seem like Capcom realized what the best part of Dragon's Dogma was. It has a narrower focus and expands on the lore of the dragon and the Arisen in some interesting ways. Plus, it's willing to show a little emotion.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OK, clearly the starting equipment is wholly inadequate for anything at all because these bandits are impossible for me to defeat on Easy. Where can I get upgraded gear? The only shop I found in the starting town sold herbs and the encampment only had the inn (at least that's the only thing that shows up on the map).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Zurai posted:

OK, clearly the starting equipment is wholly inadequate for anything at all because these bandits are impossible for me to defeat on Easy. Where can I get upgraded gear? The only shop I found in the starting town sold herbs and the encampment only had the inn (at least that's the only thing that shows up on the map).

Gran Soren is the main hub and is where you can buy upgraded gear, you'll get there when you finish a few plot missions.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Zurai posted:

The guy you save from those goblins should be standing around the Encampment selling equipment.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Also if you're doing the quest where you're following Quina into witchwood, you can just run past the bandits on the way there, the witchwood itself has only weak enemies.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Emong posted:

The guy you save from those goblins should be standing around the Encampment selling equipment.

Thanks, found him. Most of the characters look so similar that my eyes just slide over them but now I see that he has a pack and more colorful clothes. I assume other peddlers will look similar, which is good to know. Upgraded all my gear, hopefully that will make up for my newbieness.

Okasvi posted:

Also if you're doing the quest where you're following Quina into witchwood, you can just run past the bandits on the way there, the witchwood itself has only weak enemies.

Yeah, that's what I was doingbeing killed by. If I still can't beat the guys with armor, swords, and shields (the others aren't too bad) I'll just run past them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I would be so disappointed if they didn't do that. Also a PC port of Dark Arisen, though that'll never happen. They only need to do three things to make one of the best games, period:

-Fix the open world. It's garbage in DD.

I disagree. It could definitely be a bit more interesting, having more varied locales and maybe some dungeons you can explore that aren't tied to quests, but otherwise it's pretty fun, at least now that it has a fast travel system. I'd hope a sequel would be like DA in that most of the game is open world, but there's a large area that's a really tough dungeon that's best done in chunks as you progress through the story.

quote:

-Fix the quests. I don't mind there being miscellaneous "kill X Y amount of times" quests but that's basically every quest in the game.

So? There's still plenty of good/fun quests (or at least ones that are more interesting). The kill X or gather Y materials quests aren't meant to be done by themselves, they're there so you get bonuses when you're doing other quests.

quote:

-Make the entire plot like everything that happens when the dragon reappears and beyond. Most of the plot is so dull and bland but then it goes insane in the best way possible.

I'd say it's less that the plot's bland and more that there isn't much of a plot prior to the dragon stuff. Otherwise yeah, more plot stuff like what happens after Grigori would be awesome. I do kinda like how you're doing basically nothing or worth for most of the game, instead just being an errand boy. It fits into how the Duke prefers that Grigori stays alive.

Zurai posted:

The lovely rusted stuff you start with is fine so long as Rook enchants your weapon(s) with fire. Otherwise you can buy some decent upgrades from a shop in Cassardia, or you can try and brave BBI and do chest runs for slightly higher tier equipment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zurai posted:

Bandits are hardcore in Dragon's Dogma. Until you're level 15 or 20 or so, groups of bandits will give you a serious fight, even with slightly better gear.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are you supposed to be able to do the quest in the well in the first town right when you get it? The monsters down there seem really tough.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Super top level tip: once you've knocked them down run up on them and hold the grab button to pin them to the ground so that your pawns can get free hits in. This has the bonus of teaching your pawns to do the same. Also very effective against wolves who like to run around a lot.

e: whoops lost that post oh well

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 7, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are you supposed to be able to do the quest in the well in the first town right when you get it? The monsters down there seem really tough.

It's totally doable. For best chances you want a full party, ideally with a mage that can buff your weapons, and better weapons than rusted (you can buy slight upgrades from a shop in Cassardis). Like your pawns (are hopefully) advising you, aim for their tails; cutting them off greatly reduces their defences. If you started as Fighter, by any chance, spam the sword skill you started with; it should take 2 or 3 in a row to knock a Saurian on its rear end.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was missing the tail being their weakness. It wasn't all that bad after that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So, I've fought two bosses now in Dark Arisen (the super cyclops and beholder) and I'm surprised they give you ledges in both fights to hide on. You can still be attacked by the beholder, but if you're a mage you can completely trivialize the cyclops by just chilling out above where he can hurt you. Surprised at the lack of equipment and new spells thus far, but I guess that's all in the cursed relics (or ridiculously expensive in the shop, as per usual).

Item weight continues to be the worst mechanic in video games. :sigh:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, I've fought two bosses now in Dark Arisen (the super cyclops and beholder) and I'm surprised they give you ledges in both fights to hide on. You can still be attacked by the beholder, but if you're a mage you can completely trivialize the cyclops by just chilling out above where he can hurt you. Surprised at the lack of equipment and new spells thus far, but I guess that's all in the cursed relics (or ridiculously expensive in the shop, as per usual).

I've never had a problem with it in DD. Just store stuff like materials on your pawn until you can unload it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yep, the vast majority of new equipment is in the cursed relics. Think of it like identifying items in a dungeon crawler. You might want to look up the Dragon's Dogma wiki article on purification, since the color of your Arisen and main pawn's vocation often determines what an item is once it's purified. Bitterblack Weapons and Armor will always be something useable by a vocation that shares a color with either your Arisen or main pawn's vocation, and Bitterblack Gear (rings) tend to follow the same pattern as well. "Blue" vocations like Sorcerer and Mage get archistaves or regular staves, while "yellow" vocations like Strider and Ranger get bows, daggers, longbows, and magick bows. Hybrid vocations confuse the process a bit, since, say, Magick Archer counts as both yellow and blue, so there's a chance for either, but Magick Archer gear is coded yellow in Bitterblack. That means if you're specifically looking for Magick Archer gear, you should change both your Arisen and main pawn to Strider or Ranger before purifying.

It's weird, I know.

Some of the "Bitterblack Gear" items can be rings that upgrade your skills. For example, the Staff-Bearer's Band might upgrade High Levin to Grand Levin, or a Magick Bowman's Ring can upgrade Sixfold Bolt to Ninefold Bolt. Not every skill has an upgraded version, but the ones that do are often really good. You have to wear the ring to have the upgraded version, though.

As for item weight, it's all about Sinew and forcing your pawns to carry poo poo for you. If you dismiss a hired pawn (or it dies) while it's holding some of your stuff it just gets deposited into your storage anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

That means if you're specifically looking for Magick Archer gear, you should change both your Arisen and main pawn to Strider or Ranger before purifying.

Aren't the items you get from cursed items set at obtaining the cursed item?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Aren't the items you get from cursed items set at obtaining the cursed item?

Sort of.

I'm not sure how it works for Gear, but Bitterblack Weapons and Armor usually have an array of three possible items that they're set as when you pick up the item. For example, a Bitterblack Weapon Lv.2 might have a possibility of being either Cursed Light, Sapfire Daggers, or Chilling Focus. (That's an actual array, by the way--a lot of them are on the wiki.) If you and your main pawn are in blue vocations when you purify it, you'll get Chilling Focus. If you reload your save and purify the same item as yellow vocations, you'll get Sapfire Daggers; and if you do the same as red vocations, you'll get Cursed Light.

So while its possibilities are set in stone when you pick it up, the exact item isn't decided until you purify it, and the color of your Arisen and pawn's vocations when you purify are what determine what that is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

As for item weight, it's all about Sinew and forcing your pawns to carry poo poo for you. If you dismiss a hired pawn (or it dies) while it's holding some of your stuff it just gets deposited into your storage anyway.

I know you can give pawns your crap, but as a mage even healing items start to bring you down pretty quick and you can't just hand those off. My inventory is generally nothing but quest items and healing stuff and I'm usually still pretty close to average weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know you can give pawns your crap, but as a mage even healing items start to bring you down pretty quick and you can't just hand those off. My inventory is generally nothing but quest items and healing stuff and I'm usually still pretty close to average weight.

You packin' Sinew? It makes a really huge difference in how much you can carry.

Also, you might be overzealous with your healing items. I like to consolidate when I can. I carry 10 Salubrious Brews or Lordly Tonics, 5 Auspicious Incenses, and 5 Sobering Wines (which I bought in bulk from Fournival) for purging really nasty debilitations if the party Mage or Sorcerer isn't on the ball. The Sobering Wines are what make a huge difference--they're not light, but they're a ton lighter than carrying cures for each individual debilitation, and they affect the whole party. If I'm playing a stamina-heavy vocation I'll throw a pile of (pretty light) Large Mushrooms in there. I also usually carry 2-3 Ferrystones, 2-3 Liftstones, an Elite Lantern, one Flask of Oil, and usually 12 to 20 Demon's Periapts. Oh, and the Wyrmking's Ring.

It all comes out to around 25-30 weight units, but with Sinew that's still in Very Light. And then I make my pawns carry all the materials, equipment, and Bitterblack cursed items we pick up.

• Locked thread