Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hi, poopsocker here. Loved the show, but...
How can anyone actually believe Walt is doing what he's doing for any reason other than pride after he turns down
1. A well-paying job where he'd actually be respected
and 2. Full payment for his chemo treatment
for no reason other than "I loving hate those guys and won't take their charity" even though both Elliot and Gretchen were shown to be super nice and awesome (Elliot genuinely appreciating Walt's gift of Ramen after getting a thousand dollar guitar comes to mind)? I get he had personal issues with them given his history with Gretchen and how that turned out but how the hell can you possibly justify choosing cooking meth over being a goddamned adult about things that happened 20+ years ago?
And for that matter, how the hell did Walt end up teaching loving high school? Why doesn't he teach at a university or work at a lab?

I only sperg about this because the show is so loving perfect about everything else but it feels like Walt was never Mr. Chips and was always a loving prideful rear end in a top hat who was a huge baby about not being The Big Man, and his cancer diagnosis was what made him stop pretending to be anything else.

Well, that's the point. Walt himself says he was going it for himself at the end. In-show, though, the only people who learn the deal about turning down the payment and not having insurance are Gretchen and Skyler, the latter of whom called him on his bullshit repeatedly after figuring it out. Jesse didn't know he had the offer from Gretchen and Elliot, and the other people who knew he's a criminal generally didn't care.

Or are you asking how the viewers can think that? That case, hell if I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I guess then my question is: do I have a stick up my rear end, or is everyone who thought Walt was a good man after episode four either terrible at story comprehension or at morality?
Morality isn't black or white though. If you're saying he was a bad guy as soon as he turned down the money, why not just say he's a bad guy the second he decides to cook crystal meth? Also, keep in mind that the show (at least early on) seems very focused on making the audience side with Walt.

e: From my ropey memory Walt gets several opportunities to leave "the business" and never does, the point of the show is a good man deciding to do bad things for personal gain.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 6, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Redundant posted:

Morality isn't black or white though. If you're saying he was a bad guy as soon as he turned down the money, why not just say he's a bad guy the second he decides to cook crystal meth? Also, keep in mind that the show (at least early on) seems very focused on making the audience side with Walt.
See, I don't know about that. I think the second he hangs up on Gretchen and says to Jesse "Hey. Wanna cook?" is the moment where it goes from "Man doing bad thing because he has no other way to provide for his family" to "Man doing bad thing because he wants to be in control."

Roland Jones posted:

Or are you asking how the viewers can think that? That case, hell if I know.
Yes, that one. That is the question I'm asking. If I had gone into the show cold I would have seen Walt's arc as "Mild-mannered man turns out to be world's biggest rear end in a top hat when push comes to shove and also well before that" rather than "Mr. Chips to Scarface".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Did you not watch the final episode

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I guess then my question is: do I have a stick up my rear end, or is everyone who thought Walt was a good man after episode four either terrible at story comprehension or at morality?

Its a lot easier to root for walt early on. He's portrayed fairly sympathetically and most of the people he's in direct contact with are most definitely bad people. And once you're invested in a character for a couple of seasons its a lot easier to forgive their indiscretions. And they get a little worse each episode but you rationalize it. And then at some point you realize this guy is a monster and you aren't sure why you ever liked him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Great Beer posted:

Its a lot easier to root for walt early on. He's portrayed fairly sympathetically and most of the people he's in direct contact with are most definitely bad people. And once you're invested in a character for a couple of seasons its a lot easier to forgive their indiscretions. And they get a little worse each episode but you rationalize it. And then at some point you realize this guy is a monster and you aren't sure why you ever liked him.

Exactly. I've been rewatching Season 1 and they go out of their way to set up Walt as literally the most sympathetic man in the world. In the pilot episode alone, we've got:

- Kid with CP, wife is pregnant with second kid
- Sad sex life/boring marriage
- rear end in a top hat brother-in-law who's a loving DEA hero and is popular.
- High school teacher who was clearly destined for better things, evidenced by the Nobel Prize research plaque.
- Has to work a degrading second job at a car wash where he gets mocked by his students.
- And finally, cherry on top, inoperable terminal lung cancer. For a non-smoker.

That much sympathy allows you to create excuses for Walt's choices, and right up until he rejects the Schwartzes offer, I was 100% on Team Walt. I'll never understand pride on that level, where you refuse help from people who care about you, and right around then is when I started to realize Walt was doing it because he wanted to do it.

The scene in the pilot when he sees Jesse escape from the topless neighbor's window is what sells it. Walt sees that and is like "That's everything I want." Excitement, pulling one over on the DEA, sex with beautiful women, loving Pinkman's living the dream! You can tell right then that he wants to do this, wants it more than anything else he's ever wanted. It's confirmed/bookended by the scene after he blows up Tuco's place when he's celebrating in the car. That moment is the happiest Walt has ever felt in his entire life, and the rest of the series is a result of him chasing that feeling.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

beep by grandpa posted:

Did you not watch the final episode
Looked over my post and realized I organized it terribly. The part that I referred to as sperging out wasn't Walt's arc. I get that, I just don't get how so many people stayed on his side for so long.
What I do think the show should have addressed is wow, why is this genius chemist a loving high school teacher? Surely he should be teaching at a university or working in a lab.
I get why the situation is the way it is for the purposes of the show. You need Walt to be a genius chemist so he can make the bestest meth ever, but you also need him to have a lovely low-paying job. If you wanna say he completely shut down after the Gray Matter incident (which I don't need to know the details of) that would be one thing, but we know he worked at a place called Sandia Labs when he first moved to Albuquerque that (Season 3 finale flashback). So did Walt just constantly burn bridges to the point where he could only get a job teaching high school, or is he so hosed in the head that he finds giving Fs to kids who don't give a poo poo more rewarding than working with equals?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 6, 2013

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The part that I referred to as sperging out wasn't Walt's arc. I get that, I just don't get how so many people stayed on his side for so long.
Like Great Beer said, character investment meant that I was willing to overlook certain things as "necessary". Plus, he's really good at what he does and it's sometimes fun to root for the bad guy. I understand people not liking Walt but it's not totally out of left field that people like him right to the very end. There were certain things that would have turned me against Walt but I wanted him to succeed basically from beginning to end.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What I do think the show should have addressed is wow, why is this genius chemist a loving high school teacher? Surely his credentials are good enough to get lab work somewhere.
I get why the situation is the way it is for the purposes of the show. You need Walt to be a genius chemist so he can make the bestest meth ever, but you also need him to have a lovely low-paying job. If you wanna say he completely shut down after the Gray Matter incident (which I don't need to know the details of) that would be one thing, but we know he worked at a place called Sandia Labs before that (Season 3 finale flashback). So did Walt just constantly burn bridges to the point where he could only get a job teaching high school, or is he so hosed in the head that he finds giving Fs to kids who don't give a poo poo more rewarding than working with equals?
There are a lot of possible reasons for Walt to have ended up where he is, the show doesn't bother with them though because Walt ending up in a situation that is perfect for him to break bad isn't the point of the show, him deciding to do bad stuff is. It's not implausible for a very capable man to end up in a low paying, lovely job and spending time dwelling on it wouldn't have really added much to the show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Redundant posted:

Like Great Beer said, character investment meant that I was willing to overlook certain things as "necessary". Plus, he's really good at what he does and it's sometimes fun to root for the bad guy. I understand people not liking Walt but it's not totally out of left field that people like him right to the very end. There were certain things that would have turned me against Walt but I wanted him to succeed basically from beginning to end.
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I totally get why people want Walt to succeed in providing for his family. I just don't get how anyone could root for him to be a part of the family by the end of it.
And yeah, rooting for the bad guy is fun when it comes to poo poo like "how is he going to get out of this one?" like when Walt made a loving laser to get free of the radiator. That poo poo is magic and fun to watch.
What I don't get is how you can see Walt choose Meth Adventures over swallowing his pride and accepting charity from people who have nothing but respect for him and think "This man puts family first."

quote:

There are a lot of possible reasons for Walt to have ended up where he is, the show doesn't bother with them though because Walt ending up in a situation that is perfect for him to break bad isn't the point of the show, him deciding to do bad stuff is. It's not implausible for a very capable man to end up in a low paying, lovely job and spending time dwelling on it wouldn't have really added much to the show.
As someone who thought the plane crash was loving ingenious and completely appropriate, I suppose it would be hypocritical of me to not accept that line of reasoning.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So did Walt just constantly burn bridges to the point where he could only get a job teaching high school, or is he so hosed in the head that he finds giving Fs to kids who don't give a poo poo more rewarding than working with equals?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What I don't get is how you can see Walt choose Meth Adventures over swallowing his pride and accepting charity from people who have nothing but respect for him and think "This man puts family first."

I think the answer is hubris. Ordinary hubris with normal consequences up until he started cooking, then gigantic hubris as long as he was a kingpin followed by extraordinary downfall, as exemplified in Ozymandias, both the poem and the episode. It was a classic human tragedy played out to its logical extreme, brilliantly. Plus, it was Brian Cranston in the lead role, who doesn't love that guy?

edit: as for the audience thinking he put his family first, after the first couple of episodes I don't think anybody believed that, which is part of what made the show so interesting. We knew more about him than his own family did, so we watched to see what would happen if/when his family found out what he was really doing.

Also, I don't think it was possible at first for the average viewer to separate Bryan Cranston, the actor, from Walter White/Heisendberg. His most well-known role prior to BB was a powerless but lovable goofball playing opposite a strong no-nonsense female. So when we first see Walter in his classroom, that's who I thought of. But almost immediately the show broke that illusion and from then on I watched in fascination as Bryan Cranston the actor played against type, revealing powerful talent and energy as he grew into the role and transformed his reputation as an actor. That was a huge reason for the magnetism of the series, seeing the hidden depths of all the actors, but especially Cranston. That's why I rooted for him all the way and didn't want it to end, the acting was just unexpectedly magnificent.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 6, 2013

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really, really want to see (preferably make) a Killdozer movie. That guy was awesome. And has a ton of story potential.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hahaha oh my god, since I'm a new fan to the show this is probably old as gently caress and super common knowledge but I was just rewatching the "This is not meth" episode from Season 1 and I noticed at the tail end of the explosion the sound team mixed in the loving Dean Scream :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O47UY80VKfo
@ 2:33

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

For what it's worth, in one of the many many podcasts Gilligan said that for himself that was the moment for him where he thought it was clear that Walt was unquestionably an rear end in a top hat. Obviously there is a huge dubious area of morality between making a bet that you can become involved in the drug trade and leave unscathed and melting people in a barrel/being an international drug lord.

There lies the conflation that BB threads have trodden through a million times -- there wouldn't be a show if Walt hadn't been so prideful (and it's entertaining as hell to watch). It does, however, get weird when people parrot Walt's rationalizations as the reason why what he did was okay.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 7, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think Walt actually did get more out of a kick giving Fs to high school students then working in a lab. Remember he can't work with Gale in season 3 because Gale is an equal (or close to) and Walt NEEDS to feel intellectually superior. So out Gale, in Jessie. Every time he worked in a lab or similar environment before that (like Grey Matter) it was out Walt in __.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

WampaLord posted:

That much sympathy allows you to create excuses for Walt's choices, and right up until he rejects the Schwartzes offer, I was 100% on Team Walt. I'll never understand pride on that level, where you refuse help from people who care about you, and right around then is when I started to realize Walt was doing it because he wanted to do it.

Did they ever come out and actually say there was a love triangle between Walt and the Schwartzes, with Gretchen leaving Walt for Elliott? That was how I read it on rewatching anyway, Walt never got over failing where Elliott succeeded and by the time they offer to help him he's spent decades seething with anger and jealousy and feelings of betrayal. It also explains why he never tried to get involved with Gray Matter again after they went big.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hiddenmovement posted:

I think Walt actually did get more out of a kick giving Fs to high school students then working in a lab. Remember he can't work with Gale in season 3 because Gale is an equal (or close to) and Walt NEEDS to feel intellectually superior. So out Gale, in Jessie. Every time he worked in a lab or similar environment before that (like Grey Matter) it was out Walt in __.

Eh, he replaced Gale with Jesse because he needed to bribe Jesse into not pressing charges against Hank. I don't think it necessarily went deeper than that. He didn't seem to have any problem with Gale before he needed to make that deal.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2013

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

hiddenmovement posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought he was more than fine with having Gale around? He only pushed so hard to get Jesse in because he wanted to keep him from causing problems.

quote:

Did they ever come out and actually say there was a love triangle between Walt and the Schwartzes, with Gretchen leaving Walt for Elliott?
They said right out that Walt left Gretchen. Her ending up with Elliott could easily have rubbed him the wrong way, though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crashbee posted:

Did they ever come out and actually say there was a love triangle between Walt and the Schwartzes, with Gretchen leaving Walt for Elliott? That was how I read it on rewatching anyway, Walt never got over failing where Elliott succeeded and by the time they offer to help him he's spent decades seething with anger and jealousy and feelings of betrayal. It also explains why he never tried to get involved with Gray Matter again after they went big.

It's an interesting question, but I think he would have refused charity from anyone, regardless of past romantic involvement. His loving pride was his downfall.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If he accepts their charity he is not a man, simple as that. I understand why a lot of you would have trouble understanding this concept considering this website is mostly comprised of children pretending to be men, but try to think of it from a different perspective please. He was beaten down by life for decades and didn't fight back once the entire time, then he is supposed to just accept his pat on the head and lay down quietly and die? That's not what a man does, it's what some pet little bitch does. It's loving pathetic on every level and he had an entire lifetime's worth of rage to spend doing this right so why would he accept some charity from those stuck up assholes who are partly responsible for his lot in life to begin with? That is insult to injury, the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae. Oh but he should have been safe and boring instead then we could've had a great show about a pathetic guy dying a pathetic death, that's much more sensible.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If he accepts their charity he is not a man, simple as that. I understand why a lot of you would have trouble understanding this concept considering this website is mostly comprised of children pretending to be men

Are you literally 14? Like Gus said, a man provides. Walt could have taken that cushy Grey Matter job and provided for his family, but instead he wanted to be an arrogant little dickhead and destroyed their lives instead so he could feel powerful.

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If he accepts their charity he is not a man, simple as that. I understand why a lot of you would have trouble understanding this concept considering this website is mostly comprised of children pretending to be men, but try to think of it from a different perspective please.

Maybe that's true in his world (and yours apparently). How's it feel being on the same level emotionally as the guy who killed 10+ people in the process of furthering his meth empire.

He literally could not take a job at the company he helped found that would utilize his skills, instead he chose to pedal addictive drugs and commit numerous violent crimes. If that's your definition of being a man then I feel sorry for the people in your life. Most people would think sucking up your pride and accepting the job (even for a short time) would be the right thing for a man to do.

Pride vs Wellfare of family. Which is more important?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Sorry that was so ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh.

What he should have done morally and what he should have done because it makes good TV are two separate things.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If he accepts their charity he is not a man, simple as that. I understand why a lot of you would have trouble understanding this concept considering this website is mostly comprised of children pretending to be men, but try to think of it from a different perspective please. He was beaten down by life for decades and didn't fight back once the entire time, then he is supposed to just accept his pat on the head and lay down quietly and die? That's not what a man does, it's what some pet little bitch does. It's loving pathetic on every level and he had an entire lifetime's worth of rage to spend doing this right so why would he accept some charity from those stuck up assholes who are partly responsible for his lot in life to begin with? That is insult to injury, the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae. Oh but he should have been safe and boring instead then we could've had a great show about a pathetic guy dying a pathetic death, that's much more sensible.
Spending your life being passive aggressive and resenting everyone around you isn't the same as being beaten down. Nobody stole Gray Matter from Walt, and it's pretty clear that Gretchen and Elliot would have given him his share of the success if he asked. If Skyler was a lovely wife then Walt could've been a grown-up and divorced her. If he wasn't coping well with his son's disability he could have seen a therapist. If he was bothered by some of Hank's jokes, he could have taken him aside and said something.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

It's an interesting question, but I think he would have refused charity from anyone, regardless of past romantic involvement. His loving pride was his downfall.
He couldn't even stand to get charity from himself, as seen with how pissed he got about savewalterwhite.com.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If he accepts their charity he is not a man, simple as that. I understand why a lot of you would have trouble understanding this concept considering this website is mostly comprised of children pretending to be men, but try to think of it from a different perspective please. He was beaten down by life for decades and didn't fight back once the entire time, then he is supposed to just accept his pat on the head and lay down quietly and die? That's not what a man does, it's what some pet little bitch does. It's loving pathetic on every level and he had an entire lifetime's worth of rage to spend doing this right so why would he accept some charity from those stuck up assholes who are partly responsible for his lot in life to begin with? That is insult to injury, the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae.
You are out of your goddamn mind.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

beep by grandpa posted:

Hahaha oh my god, since I'm a new fan to the show this is probably old as gently caress and super common knowledge but I was just rewatching the "This is not meth" episode from Season 1 and I noticed at the tail end of the explosion the sound team mixed in the loving Dean Scream :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O47UY80VKfo
@ 2:33

Haha holy poo poo. I hope that becomes the new Wilhelm Scream.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Taking the Grey Matter job would be charity. Walt hasn't been in research for years; he'd be useless in the lab. He says all that stuff to Elliot out right, and Elliot didn't deny it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Taking the Grey Matter job would be charity. Walt hasn't been in research for years; he'd be useless in the lab. He says all that stuff to Elliot out right, and Elliot didn't deny it.
I somehow doubt that the man who invented the meth equivalent of Classic Coke couldn't be useful in a research laboratory.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dongsbot 9000 posted:

To be fair, for Walt's meth to work the way it does on the show, he would have to essentially be making one of the biggest discoveries in pharmaceuticals. He's not just a talented chemist, he's Reed Richards.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Look everyone, Tuco has come back from the grave to post with us!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Tao Jones posted:

Look everyone, Tuco has come back from the grave to post with us!

Or possibly Gus, with entirely understandable brain damage.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

BreakAtmo posted:

Or possibly Gus, with entirely understandable brain damage.

What does a man do? He does not act like a pet little bitch, nor does he eat the poo poo cherry atop the poo poo sundae. I hope I have adequately voiced my concerns to you, now eat poo poo.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think one factor in walt not taking the grey matter job is the fact that at that point in the show he'd already killed krazy 8. I can see an element of the sunk cost mentality in effect there - once you've already made a commitment to something its harder to back down. The guys already become a murderer, so gently caress it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I somehow doubt that the man who invented the meth equivalent of Classic Coke couldn't be useful in a research laboratory.

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, for Walt's meth to work the way it does on the show, he would have to essentially be making one of the biggest discoveries in pharmaceuticals. He's not just a talented chemist, he's Reed Richards.
Walt makes really, really pure meth that the writers happened to make blue to differentiate it from the rest so a trail is easy to find. His meth isn't magic, it is literally called "biker meth" multiple times because it's the same poo poo bikers used to cook just done really well because the guy takes his lab work seriously and understands the science.

Being able to perform rudimentary lab operations that bikers have been doing since the 60s does not make you cut out for a position in research.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Redundant posted:

Walt makes really, really pure meth that the writers happened to make blue to differentiate it from the rest so a trail is easy to find. His meth isn't magic, it is literally called "biker meth" multiple times because it's the same poo poo bikers used to cook just done really well because the guy takes his lab work seriously and understands the science.

Being able to perform rudimentary lab operations that bikers have been doing since the 60s does not make you cut out for a position in research.
Consider that Gale, who had an MS in Organic Chemistry with a specialty in X-Ray Crystallography, was only able to get to 96% purity, while Walt got a 99.1% pure product, a difference Gale described as astronomical. There's more to Walt's formula than clean lab equipment and tried and true methods.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Consider that Gale, who had an MS in Organic Chemistry with a specialty in X-Ray Crystallography, was only able to get to 96% purity, while Walt got a 99.1% pure product, a difference Gale described as astronomical. There's more to Walt's formula than clean lab equipment and tried and true methods.

Exactly, plus Gale said he couldn't yet account for the blue color. Walt wasn't just cooking biker meth really well, he had mastered it on the first try.

I'm sure he could catch up on research pretty quickly.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
By magic, people aren't referring to Walt's process, they're referring to how it gives meth-heads super-highs and makes them go wild for it. That part's not a real thing.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 7, 2013

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's not like Walt has some magic process or secret ingredient, if he did Gale would have spotted it quickly and never needed Walt again. Think of it like race car driving; I could get a car around the track, Gale can get it around much faster than me and Walt could get it around just a bit quicker than Gale. That doesn't mean that any of us are ready to fly a jet. Making meth and doing research science (probably using tools and methods that Walt has never used before) are very different things.

e: I'm not saying he shouldn't have taken the job, just that it was clearly charity since he'd be dead weight, but dead weight that Gray Matter could easily carry.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 7, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

By "magic", he wasn't referring to the Walt's process, he's referring to how it gives meth-heads super-highs and makes them go wild for it. That part's not a real thing.
The entire premise of the show only works if you assume that Walt is literally the best meth chef ever, and that he's done something no one else has thought to do. Consider how Hank spoke of Gale's notes, calling him a genius who could have done some real good in the world if he had decided to do something other than become a meth chef.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Redundant posted:

It's not like Walt has some magic process or secret ingredient, if he did Gale would have spotted it quickly and never needed Walt again. Think of it like race car driving; I could get a car around the track, Gale can get it around much faster than me and Walt could get it around just a bit quicker than Gale. That doesn't mean that any of us are ready to fly a jet. Making meth and doing research science (probably using tools and methods that Walt has never used before) are very different things.
Well, accept it or not, that's the concept that's vital to the show. Walt is uniquely good at making super-meth, and there's no real world science to explain how he does it. It's based on in-universe magi-science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Lycus posted:

Well, accept it or not, that's the concept that's vital to the show. Walt is uniquely good at making super-meth, and there's no real world science to explain how he does it. It's based on in-universe magi-science.
I'm not saying Walt doesn't make super-meth, I'm saying that making super-meth isn't equivalent to being able to cut it on the very cutting edge of research science (after literally years out of the business) which seems to be Gray Matters MO. People are acting like he could have gone into research science, won another nobel prize and everyone would have lived happily ever after because he makes really good meth, and that isn't really portrayed in the show at all.

• Locked thread