Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Those people are chronically wrong.

Because reasons!

But not really. I'm not sure what's better about Doom 1. The pathetically easy enemies and lack of danger? Excessive forced trips into damage sectors? Bizarre and random level design? Being first?

eta: The only way I could see it being an even remotely reasonable argument is if you only counted Knee Deep in the Dead, which is definitely good, but you also have to deal with The Shores of Hell, which sucks.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Bizarre and random level design?
Wait, is this argument about Doom or Doom 2? :D

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You know, Doom 2's concept of "Downtown" might be a bunch of big bland square buildings arranged in a square, but at least I can correlate the level title with the level itself (also the game is called Hell on Earth).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Map packs that name their levels after actual places, instead of mysterious, ominous phrases, or nebulous concepts, can eat my rear end.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I find D2TWID goes well with this Inverted Music WAD that came out a couple of weeks ago. It takes the normal Doom and Doom II music and changes all the notes - low becomes high and vice versa.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zero Star posted:

I find D2TWID goes well with this Inverted Music WAD that came out a couple of weeks ago. It takes the normal Doom and Doom II music and changes all the notes - low becomes high and vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6VZE9WC2kM

It's like falling into the world's most horrifying carnival.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Third Episode
MAP21: Solitude
MAP22: Despair
MAP23: Anger
MAP24: Hatred
MAP25: Envy
MAP26: Fear
MAP27: Terror
MAP28: Run From It
MAP29: Hell on Earth
MAP30: Fire and Ice

God bless Scythe.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6VZE9WC2kM

It's like falling into the world's most horrifying carnival.

This is terrifying

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Map packs that name their levels after actual places, instead of mysterious, ominous phrases, or nebulous concepts, can eat my rear end.

You're right, the Marathon games have much better level titles than the Doom games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh god what have I started :ohdear:

I was mostly being facetious. I like Doom II, but I feel its only saving grace is the increased monster diversity. I find most of the maps just terrible.

RyokoTK posted:

You know, Doom 2's concept of "Downtown" might be a bunch of big bland square buildings arranged in a square, but at least I can correlate the level title with the level itself (also the game is called Hell on Earth).

I suppose I can appreciate this, even if I find it difficult to identify with. I guess if I feel like being immersed in a game world Doom is one of the last games I would turn to. I'm more than willing to suspend belief if it means having way fewer open levels littered with giant rectangles.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My problem is more that Doom's level design is very random and nonsensical; most of the levels don't really have a "form" you can associate with them, or some kind of core component that makes one map distinct from another. At least with Doom 2, I can think of any two levels and how they're definitely different. There's usually a combination of setting choices, texturing decisions, and enemy usage or compositions that make each level have a distinct challenge. Even Doom 2's weird levels (like Monster Condo or Gotcha!) are miles ahead of horseshit like Limbo or Deimos Lab.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Why is it called a 'hangar', you can't land a spaceship on a lake of acid

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just gonna pour some gas on this sparking argument and say that, especially in comparison to the better level packs available now, there's not much reason to play either Doom or Doom 2's vanilla sets. Neither have aged particularly well, and it's clear that iD were still learning the ropes and refining their tools through the whole process.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I dunno, the nonsensical level design of Doom I&II is part of the games' charm, as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dominic White posted:

Just gonna pour some gas on this sparking argument and say that, especially in comparison to the better level packs available now, there's not much reason to play either Doom or Doom 2's vanilla sets. Neither have aged particularly well, and it's clear that iD were still learning the ropes and refining their tools through the whole process.

They were also made in the early 1990s.

I think this is what made DTWID (the first one) really good. It's like, let's take 20 years of mapping skill and level design knowledge and make a game like Doom 1 with the design conventions that modern day Doom fans are used to. DTWID is really good.

D2TWID is not very good, at least to me, and in reality the first time I played one of the earlier release candidates I thought it was a subtle "Doom 2 sucks!" dig because the early levels in particular are really, really boring, bland, and under-thought. MAP05 is called The Boiler and has several extended sequences of forced running through damage sectors, which is absolutely the PYF Thing Dragging Doom 1 Down. It improves in the middle but it doesn't really feel right to me, whereas DTWID was executed really well.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Doom 2 has better balanced gameplay, counterbalanced by absolutely awful maps. Doom 1's map quality takes a nosedive after episode 1 and it gets really loving tiresome killing poo poo with the regular shotgun.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Zero Star posted:

Why is it called a 'hangar', you can't land a spaceship on a lake of acid

Obviously the "Hangar" portion of Hangar resides behind the door you entered the map from, geez. Doomguy was probably stuck with "watch the landing craft" duty up until the moment everyone else died, so that's where the expansive, properly-scaled and immaculately-detailed landing bay would be.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Doom 2 has better balanced gameplay, counterbalanced by absolutely awful maps. Doom 1's map quality takes a nosedive after episode 1 and it gets really loving tiresome killing poo poo with the regular shotgun.

Inferno's maps are as good, if not better, than Knee-Deep in the Dead's maps :colbert:

I will admit that The Shores of Hell and Thy Flesh Consumed are sub-par, but I do tend to enjoy them more than a majority of Doom II's levels. Then again, I generally like Thy Flesh Consumed overall, which is often derided.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
e: I'm done derailing about Doom vs Doom 2.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

RyokoTK posted:

e: I'm done derailing about Doom vs Doom 2.

I don't think its a derail to talk about classic fps games in the classic fps games thread.

Inferno has some great maps but its visually so much messier than kditd

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Duke Nukem 3D: Duke it Out in DC

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Doom 2's city levels are so boring and bad I haven't finished the game yet. Doom 1 has that one level that literally hurt my eyes and wasn't much fun to play. I can't remember what map it was though, I thought it was House of Pain, but I guess it wasn't? I think it was in Inferno.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Who cares about Doom II's base maps, come on.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

catlord posted:

Doom 2's city levels are so boring and bad I haven't finished the game yet. Doom 1 has that one level that literally hurt my eyes and wasn't much fun to play. I can't remember what map it was though, I thought it was House of Pain, but I guess it wasn't? I think it was in Inferno.

You're probably talking about Mt. Erebus

on another note, am I the only one who prefers the episodic format in doom 1 over Doom II's?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

NoodleBox posted:

on another note, am I the only one who prefers the episodic format in doom 1 over Doom II's?

I'm back and forth on it. The thing I hate about most wads is that first level where you only get the boring, weak guns and fight only boring, weak enemies. I don't need another refresher course where I use my pistol and chainsaw against a couple dozen imps, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

NoodleBox posted:

Yup, that is indeed the one. gently caress Mt. Erebus.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

OK, D2TWID is officially a great WAD. Sure, it starts off slow, but the final boss battle is epic and makes ingenious use of the enemy AI (the only way out of the red key room is to wait for a monster to come and open the door from the outside), and MAP32 is a one-on-one battle against the Dopefish in an 8-bit underwater-themed maze.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I used to defend Doom 2's map design, and then I eventually realized I was doing it entirely for the sake of Tricks and Traps. I love that map. :v:

Some of the city levels, though. Jesus. Downtown stopped a Brutal Doom run me and my friends were doing because the map is so dull.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

You're right, the Marathon games have much better level titles than the Doom games.

This better not be sarcasm because for my money there are few level names as classic as "Eat It, Vid Boi," "You Think You're Big Time? You're Gonna Die Big Time!," and "(The Big Floaty) Thing What Kicks (Our Asses)"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"If I Had A Rocket Launcher I'd Make Somebody Pay" is the best level name anywhere ever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Who cares about deetootwid when a much better addon was released recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0AdWBmiQY

Vintage graphics with modern game design sensibilities. Best of both worlds.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

haveblue posted:

"If I Had A Rocket Launcher I'd Make Somebody Pay" is the best level name anywhere ever.

I had to go back and listen to that song because the only line I remembered was "If I had a rocket launcher, some son of a bitch would die."

So, are there any upcoming mods you guys are looking forward to? I found this, and I started wondering if there was anything else that people were looking forward to.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

Who cares about deetootwid when a much better addon was released recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0AdWBmiQY

Vintage graphics with modern game design sensibilities. Best of both worlds.

"Chubzdoomer
1 day ago
in reply to joyrock

Must be why everyone but you seems to be getting a real kick out of it. I'm going to do you, me, and everyone else a favor and block your little prissy rear end. Have a nice day!"

:qq:

Is this an Arthmoor mod.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Going through more Doom-but-on-the-Amiga games, Gloom's "STAY ALERT! WATCH OUT FOR AGGRO SKINHEADS!" is the best level name. They also make you appreciate how much Doom got right in terms of level design.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

This better not be sarcasm because for my money there are few level names as classic as "Eat It, Vid Boi," "You Think You're Big Time? You're Gonna Die Big Time!," and "(The Big Floaty) Thing What Kicks (Our Asses)"

It is absolutely not sarcasm, they are my favorite games ever.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Speaking of FPSs on systems that shouldn't handle them there's this little indie Gameboy styel game called Boom, iirc it's actually a real rom, I could be misremembering though
http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/boom/652/

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

It is absolutely not sarcasm, they are my favorite games ever.

I figured, but in a heated "what Doom game has the least worst levels" conversation emotions can run wild and it can be hard to distinguish sincerity

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChickenHeart posted:

Obviously the "Hangar" portion of Hangar resides behind the door you entered the map from, geez. Doomguy was probably stuck with "watch the landing craft" duty up until the moment everyone else died, so that's where the expansive, properly-scaled and immaculately-detailed landing bay would be.

That's literally Doom's story. DoomGuy was stuck with guard duty on the landing craft (probably because he was shipped off to Mars after assaulting his superior officer and they wanted to give him the crap duty) and after listening to everyone die on his radio he decided "welp I don't know how to fly this thing, let's go get killed sooner rather than later." So the start of Hangar is actually him leaving the hangar and seeing the first of his dead comrades.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Reive posted:

Speaking of FPSs on systems that shouldn't handle them there's this little indie Gameboy styel game called Boom, iirc it's actually a real rom, I could be misremembering though
http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/boom/652/

An FPS for the actual Game Boy, released in 1991, and capable of up to 16 simultaneous players when you chained together 4 of the 4 player multitaps for the link cables:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZq31JUYf8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Edit: ^^ Holy poo poo, I remember that. I was on a plane once, when I was really young, and there was a kid next to me with a Gameboy who let me play it and that was the game.

I'm trying to get Metropolitan Mayhem for Duke3D running. I sorta can, but there's these weird bits with transparency, where transparent bits, like around enemies, or bloody footprints, show through the level and show the skybox. I'm not certain if I'm installing the mod wrong or what, it's been a while since I've installed a mod on eDuke. You have to rename the .CON file in the folder, right? If I don't do that, the mod won't run. I'd think it'd be a graphics settings options, but when I play the standard game it doesn't do it.