Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwrWfmqAtvI&hd=1

For whatever reason, Game Freak went and made an actual sequel for the first time ever with the fifth generation of Pokémon. Rather than just "Here is an unrelated thing in a different region" it's flat out a sequel set two-years after the first game. They are cleverly called Black Version 2 and White Version 2.

Let me just say a lot of stupid poo poo has gone down in the two-years since Black. A lot of stupid poo poo and the stupid train is just increasing as the game goes on. I don't know if this is a spoiler but there might be a Final-Fantasy-Esque airship suddenly, randomly involved at a point.

This game definitely has a sort of, I guess "train-wreck" quality to it. It's not a bad game. It's got a lot of good new features and really just builds on everything Black and White set up:
—Pre Gen5 monsters appear in the region before the end of the game now
—The Pokédex has had a really handy upgrade that . . . did not get carried over to Gen6
—Move Tutors are back
—They added achievements. Yup.

It's overall just the sort of . . . the feel is different. You'll see, I think. I'm not going for real completion with this one like I did last time and I'm mostly just going to glide over the things that are basically the same as in Black.

The original Black LP can be read on our site, here. It's not really required but this game IS a direct sequel.

Try not to spoil upcoming things and try to keep the X/Y and Ruby Sapphire Remakes talk down in this thread. It's fun, it's great. Let's just embrace the bizarreness of Black2 for now.

Table of Contents
#01. I Hate Hugh
#02. The Friendly Fire-Haired Man
#03. Ranch Jackal
#04. Backtrack. Back Again
#05. Phone Calls and Sunflower Seeds
#06. Chemical Plant Blues
-Bianca's Science Journal #1
#07. The Toxic Girl
#08. More Than a Cameo
#09. Cities. Cities Don't Change Much.
#10. Sewer Level. With Zubat. And Hugh.
#11. A Painting of a Jackal Fighting a Leaf Insect
#12. Hyper-Realistic Blood Cloud
#13. Bones Bleaching in the Sun
#14. Bringing Things Together
#15. Heston Syndrome
#16. Electrified Catwalk
#17. Hugh Talks
#18. Heartbreaker
#19. Hexenmeistergefängnis
#20. Very Rood
#21. Theft of Victory
#22. Nerd Tournament
#23. Of Course It's a Pirate Ship
#24. Progress, then Backup
#25. Corky
#26. UDF: Emolga Armageddon
#27. The Town Where Nothing Changed
#28. Little Touches
-Bianca's Science Journal #2
#29. New Mexican Enclave
#30. Spook House
#31. My Afternoon with Bianca
#32. Roadblocks
#33. The Giant Broad
#34. Two Men in a Deer Suit Awaiting Passersby
#35. Bridgin' It
#36. And Then Things Took a Turn

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Choro Notes: Before we start, there's something we have to do.

On the start menu there's an option not usually there—Unova Link.

Unova Link allows you to do connections with Black, White, Black2 and White2.

The Memory Link allows you to link your Black or White save to Black2 or White2. What this does is not only sets up continuity with your previous save—in this case, Haley's adventure—you get to see flashback scenes explaining what's happened in the two years since Black/White. I've already set up the link to the save from the Black LP.

The Key System is a way to unlock certain things within the two sequels. It is an ok idea but also dumb as hell. The only one we're concerned with right now is Set Difficulty.

Normal mode is the only one unlocked at the start. Beating White2 unlocks the Easy Mode key, which can be transferred to Black2. Easy mode lowers the opponent AI and decreases the levels of monsters in trainer battles. Beating Black2 unlocks the Challenge Mode key, which can be transferred to White2. Challenge mode increases opponent AI, levels and in some cases even adds additional monsters to rosters and/or gives them hold-items. Needless to say that's the mode I'll be playing through this on.

The fact that you need to BEAT THE GAME or have someone else who has beaten it transfer their key to you is stupid, particularly the Easy mode one. Why the hell would you find it necessary to restrict Easy mode in a game? Who does that even benefit?

Either way we're all set up.

What up, how've you been the past month?

Wh- yes, I know. You said this to Haley like a year ago. This exact thing. The background was white that time, though. You're just going to say this is a world of pokémon and it's full of magical creatures.

Oh, your Minccino evolved. That's cool.

Yeeeuughghghhhh . . .

Geez. Look at those colors. Jesus.

Yes, because I can look at him and not think about Easter.

Yeah, what of it?

Yes, whatever.

Great. Good. Let's get started.

#01. I Hate Hugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RegGxgGBy1k&hd=1

Music: Pokémon Black2/White2 - Aspertia City

Choro Notes: H-hello?

Choro Notes: Oh, you're on the phone. Sorry, yeah I'll just leave.

"Wait, what?"

"Are . . . are you sure?"

"As is, he just sits in that room all day drawing. Always sketching."

"I still haven't forgotten about Spring Break '97."

first time in ages!"

I dunno. I've got a lot of things to do. Sketches and . . . . sketches.

As long as it's something cool. Something I can express myself to. Yes.

What? Yes. It's a Pokémon Index. I don't even need to know what it is, what else could "-dex" mean?

Ok, now you're just explaining to me what it does even though I already knew.

Not really. I'm not sure what use I really have for it to be honest.

:I

FINE I WANT THE POKEDEX.

Yeah! I noticed! Free-will is an illusion!

a big, green hat!"
Is she the same Prof. Juniper's assistant who was on the news recently during the Today show? The one who fell asleep while showing off that Minccino?

Ok, got it. Great.

. . . you just want the house to yourself, don't you?

GEEZ, FINE. I'M LEAVING.

Stupid patronization.

I didn't the last 500 times you've asked me why the HELL would I have one this time?

So, why don't you go outside and fight the trainers that AREN'T in town? I gotta go find a Bianca and get a Pokémon so that my mom will stop bothering me but so that you'll bother me even more which is SOMEHOW possible I'm sure.

Yup. Gonna do that.

No, I got this.

Wait, wh—

Great. Let's go.

What?

What? No. It's just the highest spot. You can see everything from there. Why the hell would she just be up here?

Oh, or she'll just be up here.

Music: Pokémon Black 2/White 2 - Bianca

Eh, Garden State.

Nnno.

"Your mom said you would answer 'no' to my questions. C="

. . . didn't somebody do that two years ago? So really the answer I guess is no but I'm going to assume it's a yes I have to say anyway.

Yeah that's likely.

Choro Notes: Saaame starters as Black and White.

Yeah, why not.

. . . wh-what the gently caress is that supposed to mean?! You tryin' to say I'm a snake?! Or are you tryin to say I'm stuck up? You wanna go?!

Great. This automatically records, right? I don't need to manually do this?

Nope! Just minimizing my effort towards it.

someone clear out here, right?"
I can't imagine how you would feel if you were sent out to New Jersey and I just did not show up.

HUGH, GO HOME.

I don't have to answer those.

of Snivy."

BIANCA NO, HE'LL LATCH ONTO YOU. HE'S LIKE A BARNACLE.

SEE?!

He's Hugh. The Barnacle.

to search for something very important!"

. . .

He can have mine.

ago, so the more, the merrier!"
Great, good. I'll focus on the ones who weren't here last year. There've gotta be like what, 8?

Sure, great.

Music: Pokémon Black2/White2 - Vs. Hugh

Let's get this over with so I can do something else.

Choro Notes: Because I'm in challenge mode, his Tepig has an extra level. Wooooo~ I'm still gonna just hit their faces together so.

. . . what?

Dude, chill out.

wild Pokémon."
DUDE, I AM NOT THE ONLY TRAINER IN THE WORLD.

a trainer I can count on!"

I guess.

"Better than a Pokécoroner anyway. Ha ha! Ha!"

"Mehhhh."

HulkaMatt named Curly, btw

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 8, 2013

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
HOLY poo poo A BOY CHARACTER?!?!?!!??

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
This is the only game in the portable series that I never played (came out too soon after Black/White) so I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Sitting in the sidecar totally blind this time!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Stalgren posted:

AND HIS NAME IS VINNY!!!

Having not opened up this game yet I'm pretty excited to see you go through the whole thing.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

HulkaMatt posted:

AND HIS NAME IS VINNY!!!

Oh my God, Hulkmatt. OH MY GOD!!!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

To quote Shang Tsung: IT HAS BEGUN!

Zorak posted:

This is the only game in the portable series that I never played (came out too soon after Black/White) so I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Sitting in the sidecar totally blind this time!
I too am in the crowd who hasn't played this one either. Mostly because by the time I got my hands on Black, this got announced, so I skipped over Black 2.

Also, I'm glad to see Choro finally take the reigns as a male character. Who has (relatively) normalish hair, oddly enough. Then again, the female lead did inspire some...quirky fanart when she first got revealed because of her own hairstyle.

There's a Segway joke somewhere in there, but I just can't put it to comprehensible words.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, those first four replies after the update went a little bit... :circlefap:

Seriously though, it's always good to see another of these. Looking forward to seeing another Pokemon game I haven't bothered playing myself.

Edit: Thanks, HulkaMatt.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 8, 2013

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Is Vinny Haley's son from the future who's been sent back to stop the Evil Pokegod from destroying the world? Or is that kind of hair/hat combo just super-popular in Unova?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Glad to see you started with a new LP, Chorocojo!

I like where you are characterizing Vinny. Also pairing him with Snivy is a great fit.

And you're right: gently caress Hugh.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 8, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Hugh is the best character and hopefully our young Vincent will learn to cut loose and let all that snark as good old fashioned shonen yell fighting.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Stalgren posted:

Have you seen the female protagonist's design? I wouldn't want to draw that either.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Glad to see you get right to this LP, Red. I tried playing Black 2 for the past year, but gave up about midway into the game. Dunno why, but something about the game just didn't click liked Diamond (never got to play Platinum) or Y did.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hardly remember anything about this game other than how amazing Hugh's theme song is and how terrible Hugh is, but that might be because Porygon-Z and Chandelure is kind of an overpowered combo for the main game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One thing I mused over is that Hugh already has his Pokemon before you select your own. It's sort of a Schrodingers' Pokemon in a way, but part of me reasons that whoever your playing as purposefully picks the Pokemon that's weak to Hugh's knowing that it'll still beat him down anyway because gently caress Hugh.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Out of curiosity, how did you get Memory Link set up on an emulator?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you get Memory Link set up on an emulator?

I used a not-emulator.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really hate Hugh and aside from the Gen 6 crew I think he's probably the absolute worst rival, so I'm taking this updates name as a point to that even if it wasn't meant to be.

I played this game on launch but don't remember ever really doing much with it because it just felt so... samey, and I really, really did not like Hugh so bumping into him always caused me to roll my eyes. Though maybe I'm wrong, can't wait to find out! (Not wrong about Hugh though. Reeeally don't like that guy)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I only played B2/W2 for the first time a little while ago. They have a LOT of stuff in them, although some of it is pretty dumb. I was also blown away by the fact that there is a Pokemon Center and a Pokemon Gym in the starting town. :aaa: This series is good at making really tiny changes seem like revelations.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

On the plus side Black 2 gives you more Pokemon to play around with and the world isn't nearly as linear and just more fun to explore, even if it is a second time around. But Hugh is probably the worst character in all of Pokemon. You have not begun to dislike Hugh.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
There are legless lizards, maybe there can be... legged... snakes? :psyduck:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, those first four replies went a little bit... :circlefap:

I agree the first update really was circlejerky as hell and almost sent this thread right off the rails.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

But Hugh is probably the worst character in all of Pokemon. You have not begun to dislike Hugh.

But he's so enthusiastic!!!

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
For some reason I bought both versions because I thought replaying this would be fun enough to justify it.
It ended up working out in the end because my Black 2, which was of course the one with all my poo poo on it, disappeared on me, but I really don't know what I was planning to do.

This game is... an interesting case. There are certain moments that really baffled me and I'm curious to see how you react to some of the mandatory bullshit that's included.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rose Spirit posted:

There are legless lizards, maybe there can be... legged... snakes? :psyduck:

Snakes DID have legs way way back in the day. Still kinda do have remnants of those, so, yeah, legged snakes? V:v:V Still kinda see a bit of an anole in Snivy's design too.

Kinda surprised to see this up so soon, but hey, not complaining. BW2's a LOT of fun but it has... issues that BW1 didn't have. Whatever "bad" that's been added is mostly balanced out with all the good, though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

In terms of gameplay and quality-of-life, my experience with BW2 was pretty positive. It's just the story that takes a poo poo (compared to BW1). Admittedly it's a pretty big poo poo.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

HulkaMatt posted:

I agree the first update really was circlejerky as hell and almost sent this thread right off the rails.

...Ah, right. The first update isn't in the OP, silly me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
I like how your mother asks if you know Professor Juniper, you mean one of the 12 people in the town? You'd have to be incredibly antisocial not to know everyone in a town that small.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

On the plus side Black 2 gives you more Pokemon to play around with and the world isn't nearly as linear and just more fun to explore, even if it is a second time around.

It does feel a little strange when you come from Black or White and it's similar to a point, at which time it diverges and starts to get better.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Blue Ghost posted:

I like how your mother asks if you know Professor Juniper, you mean one of the 12 people in the town? You'd have to be incredibly antisocial not to know everyone in a town that small.

Prof. Juniper hasn't moved. She's still all the way east in Nuvema town and we won't meet her for a long while. We're in Aspertia City all the way to the west in New Jersey.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I guess I'm in the minority of actually liking Black 2? But then again I live in New Jersey so maybe it's just bias.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I guess I'm in the minority of actually liking Black 2? But then again I live in New Jersey so maybe it's just bias.

It has its good moments, but also a lot of bad ones. I'm also a big fan of some of the new wild areas they added, and the big change to the gyms that sadly didn't carry over.

But hey, haven't done this on challenge mode (Because gently caress having to complete the game once over to get it) so it'll be interesting to see how this all goes. Also interested to see how a sidequest much, much later in the game will be handled

HulkaMatt posted:

But he's so enthusiastic!!!

Know who else had enthusiasm? Jorge

... I miss Jorge already

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
I've been looking forward to this! They're a bit weird, but I think Black 2/White 2 are my favourite games in the series v:shobon:v Admittedly I haven't played it in a while, but I like the region, I like almost all of the fifth generation Pokemon, and the new areas and characters are pretty great.

...Except for Hugh. gently caress Hugh. Worst rival by a wide margin.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
This is the only game in the series I can say that I don't like, and it's mostly because it's so incredibly same-y compared to Black/White 1 (which I feel are the best in the series, and no, "more of the same" does not mean Black 2 and White 2 are just as good). I'll try not to go on long tangents, but just from the first update you can see that:

-The starters are the same as BW1
-The game is heavy on tutorials as usual
-The characters are clingy, and believe me, this gets worse
-The difficulty levels are...I don't even know how to describe it
-The illusion of choice rears its ugly head
-The rival conveniently previously raised a Pokémon that has an advantage against your choice

Off to a great start ain't it?

Timall
Dec 20, 2008
I'm actually really surprised to see a new LP so soon after Black finished. Was expecting to wait a year at least. Looking forward to it! Apart from Hugh 'Rage' Worstrival. And the story that kind of feels tacked on just to get another set of Gen V games out. That said I immensely enjoyed the game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Is there a Pokemon White Castle in Pokemon New Jersey? I really hope there is.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

Prof. Juniper hasn't moved. She's still all the way east in Nuvema town and we won't meet her for a long while. We're in Aspertia City all the way to the west in New Jersey.

Oh yeah, I guess not knowing someone over the other side of the continent isn't been antisocial, if anything, knowing them when you have no interest in their work would be creepy.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Blue Ghost posted:

Oh yeah, I guess not knowing someone over the other side of the continent isn't been antisocial, if anything, knowing them when you have no interest in their work would be creepy.

It's one major metro area over. Pokemon regions are basically just a city.

Turos Kensei
Dec 13, 2009
This was a pleasant surprise. I'll be following this. :)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really hate Hugh and aside from the Gen 6 crew I think he's probably the absolute worst rival, so I'm taking this updates name as a point to that even if it wasn't meant to be.

I feel like he's at least better than Brendan/May back in Gen III. :colbert:

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how different Vinny's adventure'll be from Haley's! I really enjoyed Black 2 and I'm a little discouraged by all of the negativity, but I dunno, I guess if we're talking about the main game, it's not as good, but I thought the post game was great.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

Ephraim225 posted:

This is the only game in the series I can say that I don't like, and it's mostly because it's so incredibly same-y compared to Black/White 1 (which I feel are the best in the series, and no, "more of the same" does not mean Black 2 and White 2 are just as good). I'll try not to go on long tangents, but just from the first update you can see that:

-The starters are the same as BW1
-The game is heavy on tutorials as usual
-The characters are clingy, and believe me, this gets worse
-The difficulty levels are...I don't even know how to describe it
-The illusion of choice rears its ugly head
-The rival conveniently previously raised a Pokémon that has an advantage against your choice

Off to a great start ain't it?

On the other hand, it keeps BW's really, really, really amazing musical style.

For the tracks that are actually new, anyway.

I had fun with BW2, and I'm glad Gamefreak took a detour from its usual pattern with the "third game", but the writing is probably some of the poorest in the series. Also, yeah, those difficulty settings are bullshit. What the gently caress GF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I dunno I like BW2. The story? Eh I could take it or leave it but compared to N one of the characters we meet in the game is awesome. As for Hugh, he's... something alright, it's hard not to laugh at him until one event, then it's less funny... Then you remember it's HUGH and he's still a prick.

But yeah, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed several features from it. I just wish I had someone in the area I could have given my Key too so I could have actually played Challenge Mode.

• Locked thread