Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Rowmote Plus. It's $5. It's a combination of remote mouse and keyboard and app-specific controls for stuff like iTunes or MPlayerX.

edit: I wish Apple would put iMessage on iCloud.com. They're already doing that web-based iWork crap. If anybody with an Apple ID could use iMessage, I think it would explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

fleshweasel posted:

I like Rowmote Plus. It's $5. It's a combination of remote mouse and keyboard and app-specific controls for stuff like iTunes or MPlayerX.

edit: I wish Apple would put iMessage on iCloud.com. They're already doing that web-based iWork crap. If anybody with an Apple ID could use iMessage, I think it would explode.

The software sells the hardware. iMessage is a huge reason people stay in the iOS ecosystem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

What's the go-to software for using >1080p res on an rMBP? SwitchResX seems to have the best feature list but costs $$, QuckRes is cheaper but seems to be very barebones, and Retina DisplayMenu is free, but also doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. Am I missing one, or is it worth it to spend for SwitchResX?

I found Pupil and have been very happy with it. I tried the other two and found nothing they could do any better than Pupil. You can try it free for a couple weeks and if you want to buy it it's only $5.

http://www.pupil.io/

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Just got a new Retina Pro to replace an old polycarb Macbook.

Love the machine, but I can't say I'm a fan of the new version of Pages. There's probably no easy way to go back to the 2011 version due to how the App Store works, is there?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thauros posted:

Just got a new Retina Pro to replace an old polycarb Macbook.

Love the machine, but I can't say I'm a fan of the new version of Pages. There's probably no easy way to go back to the 2011 version due to how the App Store works, is there?
If you had it (like migrated from previous machine), it'll still be there in its own iWork 09 folder (yes it's that old!). If you didn't migrate them over and never bought it from the App Store, uh, try copying them over I guess.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

What's the go-to software for using >1080p res on an rMBP? SwitchResX seems to have the best feature list but costs $$, QuckRes is cheaper but seems to be very barebones, and Retina DisplayMenu is free, but also doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. Am I missing one, or is it worth it to spend for SwitchResX?

I use an Alfred extension: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/1296-switch-retina-resolution/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Upgrading to Mavericks sounds great, because who doesn't like free stuff?

However, I've never upgraded from Leopard, so I at least have to upgrade from that first. Is my only option going to an Apple store, or buying the software online? I don't mind paying for an upgrade, but I hate the idea of waiting for it - can't I just pay the $20 and download something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Red posted:

However, I've never upgraded from Leopard, so I at least have to upgrade from that first. Is my only option going to an Apple store, or buying the software online? I don't mind paying for an upgrade, but I hate the idea of waiting for it - can't I just pay the $20 and download something?

Can you just make or borrow a USB installer?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Red posted:

My mother updated straight from Tiger or something 3 years old in one step without a problem. Without me even in the same city as her even. If she can do it online you should be able to do so too.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was probably snow leopard cause earlier versions don't have the App Store.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah. Keeping track of which cat was which OS version isn't that easy for me. California theme named OSs won't help either.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Is there anyone here using Arq to backup their data and suddenly found out that most of their backup sets in S3 are suddenly missing? That seems to have been the case with mine and I'm wondering what on earth happened.

geera
May 20, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Is there anyone here using Arq to backup their data and suddenly found out that most of their backup sets in S3 are suddenly missing? That seems to have been the case with mine and I'm wondering what on earth happened.
I use Arq but haven't had that issue thankfully (though I've heard of it happening to others before). The developer is pretty responsive on Twitter (@arqbackup), he may have some advice for you.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

alkanphel posted:

I used to use Arq, but had re-indexing issues all over the place, to the tune where it twice tried to reupload my entire backup to S3 without any real notification. This was before Comcast removed their data caps, so let's just say they were none too pleased. It's been awhile since I've last used it so I might be mistaken, but I think the app is better suited to small, targeted backups of a very specific nature, rather than your entire system.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

pipes! posted:

I used to use Arq, but had re-indexing issues all over the place, to the tune where it twice tried to reupload my entire backup to S3 without any real notification. This was before Comcast removed their data caps, so let's just say they were none too pleased. It's been awhile since I've last used it so I might be mistaken, but I think the app is better suited to small, targeted backups of a very specific nature, rather than your entire system.

I do Glacier backups of my entire home directory, minus cruft like caches, and haven't had any problems. I used to only back up specific things to S3, but since the introduction of Glacier I just throw everything at it. Seems to work fine as a secondary, offsite backup.

Specific backups are great but I always end up needing/losing something I forgot to include or wasn't there when I set up the original directories.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

snakeater posted:

I do Glacier backups of my entire home directory, minus cruft like caches, and haven't had any problems. I used to only back up specific things to S3, but since the introduction of Glacier I just throw everything at it. Seems to work fine as a secondary, offsite backup.

Yeah, this was definitely before Glacier was an option. How much does your Glacier store cost you, if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like a nice extra layer of redundancy.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

snakeater posted:

Specific backups are great but I always end up needing/losing something I forgot to include or wasn't there when I set up the original directories.

Great idea. Does it diff at the file or block level? The problem I always have with online, or even offline, backup is the problem of managing small changes in massive VMWare files.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

pipes! posted:

Yeah, this was definitely before Glacier was an option. How much does your Glacier store cost you, if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like a nice extra layer of redundancy.

About $1.87 a month, with most of that ($1.55) being requests rather than storage (28.969GB).

It might average a lot less than that but I've been formatting my machine and re-uploading everything (instead of adopting backup sets) recently so I've probably uploaded a lot more than usual.

Lexicon posted:

Does it diff at the file or block level?

No idea I'm afraid.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm running VMWare 6.0.1 in Mavericks, and I've got two installs: XP and Windows 7. Ever since making the upgrade, my mouse (USB and Magic Mouse) won't work in Windows 7. I click on the screen and it just instantly dies - I have to hit ctrl-cmd to escape out of it. The mouse works fine in XP. I've looked at the settings and it's using the default profile - I've tried the Mac profile and it's no different. Under bluetooth settings I've checked "Share bluetooth devices with Windows," to no effect. The only thing left is to check "Apple bluetooth USB host controller under "Connect USB devices" (in the hopes of at least getting my USB mouse to work), because when I check that it asks for the Boot Camp driver disk, which I'd have to get from IT. Any ideas?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

jackpot posted:

I'm running VMWare 6.0.1 in Mavericks, and I've got two installs: XP and Windows 7. Ever since making the upgrade, my mouse (USB and Magic Mouse) won't work in Windows 7. I click on the screen and it just instantly dies - I have to hit ctrl-cmd to escape out of it. The mouse works fine in XP. I've looked at the settings and it's using the default profile - I've tried the Mac profile and it's no different. Under bluetooth settings I've checked "Share bluetooth devices with Windows," to no effect. The only thing left is to check "Apple bluetooth USB host controller under "Connect USB devices" (in the hopes of at least getting my USB mouse to work), because when I check that it asks for the Boot Camp driver disk, which I'd have to get from IT. Any ideas?

You updated/reinstalled VMware tools on the guest OS' ?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Is there anything better than Grab for saving a screenshot of a single window?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pipes! posted:

Arq's page says Glacier is $0.01/GB, so pretty good up until massive data like full media collections I guess. No clue about the other fees though.

I'm thinking about just backing up everything, so I've been thinking about either Crashplan or Backblaze. Both about $50/year for unlimited I think. I'm not completely sold on either for one thing or another though.

TINA TURNER posted:

Is there anything better than Grab for saving a screenshot of a single window?
Command-shift-4 then spacebar, add control if you want to copy to the clipboard instead of sending it to the desktop.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

Command-shift-4 then spacebar, add control if you want to copy to the clipboard instead of sending it to the desktop.
This is what I generally do because it's way faster, but is there a way to make it not capture the window's drop shadow? I thought I saw a .plist change posted at one point.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This is what I generally do because it's way faster, but is there a way to make it not capture the window's drop shadow? I thought I saw a .plist change posted at one point.

There is. Don't know the name, but TinkerTool can do it for you.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I remember that too, found this in a post from 2011 so hell if I know if it still works:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture disable-shadow -bool true

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

I've got a 1tb external drive that I'm using to back up photos from my MBP. It's formatted NTFS (and has too much poo poo on it to reformat it) so I know I can only read it from the mac side, I can't write (although goddamn, if there's a free and easy fix for this I'd love to hear it). So what I'm doing is connecting it to vmware, via windows XP, and dragging everything over to it that way. Tedious (because I have to wait for it to copy from the mac side to windows, then from Windows to the external drive), but it works. Problem is, it seems to use up my XP's hard drive space and never let go until I restart. So if I start with 3gb free on XP, and I drag over 1gb worth of stuff for the external drive, once it's done XP shows only 2gb free. Can I free up this hard disk space without having to restart windows?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

snakeater posted:

About $1.87 a month, with most of that ($1.55) being requests rather than storage (28.969GB).

It might average a lot less than that but I've been formatting my machine and re-uploading everything (instead of adopting backup sets) recently so I've probably uploaded a lot more than usual.

japtor posted:

Arq's page says Glacier is $0.01/GB, so pretty good up until massive data like full media collections I guess. No clue about the other fees though.

Awesome, thanks! That's definitely a price worth considering.

japtor posted:

I'm thinking about just backing up everything, so I've been thinking about either Crashplan or Backblaze. Both about $50/year for unlimited I think. I'm not completely sold on either for one thing or another though.

After Arq I switched to CrashPlan, and for the record, I absolutely love it. It's set and forget unless you want to tinker around, and I believe they'll also ship you a hard drive for initial seeding if you need it.

japtor posted:

Someone also wrote a nice Alfred workflow for it (doing a lot of shilling today, it seems).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

geera posted:

I use Arq but haven't had that issue thankfully (though I've heard of it happening to others before). The developer is pretty responsive on Twitter (@arqbackup), he may have some advice for you.

Yeah this is the first time such an issue happened across a few years. I did have an email correspondence with the developer and even sent him various log files but he couldn't figure it out because nothing in his program had changed when the problem occurred so it's an issue with S3 and the way it is releasing information to Arq about what's inside.

pipes! posted:

Yeah I totally agree with you on the way to use it but my region doesn't support Glacier just yet so it's all S3 for now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Crashplan or Backblaze (and probably others) will give you unlimited cloud backup for $5/month or less.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

jackpot posted:

Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

I've got a 1tb external drive that I'm using to back up photos from my MBP. It's formatted NTFS (and has too much poo poo on it to reformat it) so I know I can only read it from the mac side, I can't write (although goddamn, if there's a free and easy fix for this I'd love to hear it). So what I'm doing is connecting it to vmware, via windows XP, and dragging everything over to it that way. Tedious (because I have to wait for it to copy from the mac side to windows, then from Windows to the external drive), but it works. Problem is, it seems to use up my XP's hard drive space and never let go until I restart. So if I start with 3gb free on XP, and I drag over 1gb worth of stuff for the external drive, once it's done XP shows only 2gb free. Can I free up this hard disk space without having to restart windows?

Spend $20 and get Paragon NTFS for Mac, there is a free option but in my experience it did not work too well.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

How can I get ical to understand that when I quick add the text "07:30 13 november 2013 activityName" that it's in the morning and not in the evening? I would write it as 07:30am, but I'm copying and pasting this information from a booking confirmation email, so it would get tedious.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
I"m not an iTunes user, so forgive me if I'm missing something simple.

I have a lot of music stored on a Buffalo NAS. I'd like for it to be able to play everything in iTunes, but I have no desire for it to actually copy the music to my Mac. Apparently "Add to Library" isn't the option I'm looking for.

I had a previous NAS that had an iTunes server option, but this one doesn't. How do I go about having this just play the files where they're at?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

NecessaryEvil posted:

I"m not an iTunes user, so forgive me if I'm missing something simple.

I have a lot of music stored on a Buffalo NAS. I'd like for it to be able to play everything in iTunes, but I have no desire for it to actually copy the music to my Mac. Apparently "Add to Library" isn't the option I'm looking for.

I had a previous NAS that had an iTunes server option, but this one doesn't. How do I go about having this just play the files where they're at?
In your iTunes preferences, under the 'Advanced' tab, there are options to 'Keep Music Folder Organized' and 'Copy Files to This Computer When Adding to Library'. Uncheck them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So when I hit "Check for Available Downloads" in iTunes I get this:

Is there any way to fix it without a reinstall? I saw something about the iTunes Store cache in the Advanced settings, but I don't really want to download all my TV shows again.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Thinking about running a VPN on my ol' mac mini core duo for safer interwebs on my iMac late 2012.

What are my options, and is a waste of time/digging myself too deep?

Both are running Mavericks, if that helps. I know nothing about this stuff really.
The mac mini could run any osx from 10.6.8 - 10.9 if it had to and it made a difference.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

the_lion posted:

Thinking about running a VPN on my ol' mac mini core duo for safer interwebs on my iMac late 2012.

What are my options, and is a waste of time/digging myself too deep?

Both are running Mavericks, if that helps. I know nothing about this stuff really.
The mac mini could run any osx from 10.6.8 - 10.9 if it had to and it made a difference.

Unless you are trying to access your iMac remotely in a more secure manner, VPN is not what you are looking for.

If you are, Mac OS X Server ($20 app now) is an easy way to set up VPN access to your network.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

So when I hit "Check for Available Downloads" in iTunes I get this:

Is there any way to fix it without a reinstall? I saw something about the iTunes Store cache in the Advanced settings, but I don't really want to download all my TV shows again.

So after googling the error message it seems that nobody else has any ideas either :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So it looks like the Migration Assistant update is an update to make Mac users/techs lives harder, because it makes disk images impossible to use.

When you run MA, as soon as it gets to the part where it asks you if you want to restore from another machine on the network or a local disk, it immediately dismounts all disk images. Try to mount them again, as long as MA is running they get booted off.

If anyone has run the 'new' Migration Assistant update and has been able to directly use a disk image to restore from WITHOUT having to restore it to a blank disk/partition please let me know so I know I'm not crazy.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

imnotinsane posted:

Spend $20 and get Paragon NTFS for Mac, there is a free option but in my experience it did not work too well.
And they even have a ten-day trial! Perfect, thanks; this'll literally save me hours by the time I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Unless you are trying to access your iMac remotely in a more secure manner, VPN is not what you are looking for.

If you are, Mac OS X Server ($20 app now) is an easy way to set up VPN access to your network.

Keep in mind Server does not currently work in Mavericks and from what I can tell has been pulled from the app store.