Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Far less impressive fauna:

I mixed my own collodion for the first time (about a month ago), and had a go at shooting it today. The collodion seemed to be okay, I couldn't get the development right, far too long and too much of it I think. It's pretty drat fun shooting tin-type, but it regularly tests your patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

This is nice, how much movement can you get with a 65mm lens?

On the topic of the Mod54 reel... I've found that if I do actual inversions it's likely a sheet pops out of it's little section, so I just use the twirly stick thing that came with the Paterson tank. Am I being to vigorous with my agitation or am I supposed to be using the spinner with it?

It varies by lens - some don't even cover 4x5 (meant for 6x9) but this one (Caltar II-N 65mm f/4.5 - a rebranded Rodenstock Grandagon) covers 4x5 with enough room for ~10mm of movement at infinity, and a little more with closer subjects like this one. There's definitely also a little vignetting, which is why center filters exist, but they're unreasonably expensive, so I'm flying without.

I had the same problem with inversions in the Mod54 reel at first, so I switched to using the twirly stick - but then I got pretty bad overdevelopment near the 'fingers' on the reel. What I do now is really, really slow inversions, like 5-10 seconds for one inversion, so the liquid doesn't move around so forcefully, and I'm getting much better (but still not perfect) results.

On Tuesday I'll be getting a new tank for my Jobo so I can use it for 4x5. I can't loving wait.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Back to TMAX 400!

Outram, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
My aunt just have me a book from 1927 with over 20 developer recipes, as well as paper and lantern slides. Any interest in them?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

ShotgunWillie posted:

My aunt just have me a book from 1927 with over 20 developer recipes, as well as paper and lantern slides. Any interest in them?

why you even gotta ask

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Scan'em and upload them somewhere, it'd be really interesting to read.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Spedman posted:

Scan'em and upload them somewhere, it'd be really interesting to read.

No scanner, but I'll transcribe a list tomorrow.

The book is titled, "Henley's Twentieth Century Home & Workshop Formulas Recipes & Processes"

It also includes recipes for various amalgams of gold, and, turning to a random page, saponaceous tooth pastes. You have your choice of cocaine, chloroform, chalk, or pumice!

ShotgunWillie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 11, 2013

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So i'm finally moving up from 645. I just bought a Pentax 67 body. Now I need to decide on the 90/2.8 or the 105/2.4. Any thoughts from people who've used either?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Im That One Guy posted:

So i'm finally moving up from 645. I just bought a Pentax 67 body. Now I need to decide on the 90/2.8 or the 105/2.4. Any thoughts from people who've used either?

I've used the 105/2.4, it's good even wide open. The 90/2.8 is a little bit later design, slower but wider. That's really your main decision to make there - the 105/2.4 corresponds to a traditional 55mm normal lens (technically 52.5mm), the 90/2.8 corresponds to a 45mm lens. The 105 will have a slight bit more depth-of-field control between the longer focal length and the extra half stop of speed.

Think about what lenses you might want to buy down the road and how you would put together a kit. You probably won't use lenses that are too close to another lens you like - eg 75+90mm is kind of a waste.

Generally when I go out I take a 105 and a 55, plus a long lens if I'm going to shoot portraits. Or the 75mm or 105mm if I'm only going to take one lens.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 11, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I recently lost access to an okay monitor so I have to edit photos on my laptop. Now, when I edit the photo on the laptop I think it looks alright. When I view it on my tablet, it's not as saturated and more green. On my phone it looks greenish but not as much as on the tablet.

I know not to trust phone and tablet displays too much, even though they're nexuses with non-lovely displays, but can anyone with a calibrated monitor tell me how they see the photo below in terms of color?

I'm curious to know which screens are lying to me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I know I'll sound like an iPhone/apple snob, but every android phone/tablet I've looked at seems have terrible colour calibration, they always look overly green and saturated to my eye.

On my uncalibrated laptop, that image looks good to me, and comes out a tiny bit warmer on my iPhone 5s.

/applefanboi

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
more m7

The Master Bedroom, Massachusetts by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

The Kitchen, Massachusetts by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Leaves, Massachusetts by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

I know I'll sound like an iPhone/apple snob, but every android phone/tablet I've looked at seems have terrible colour calibration, they always look overly green and saturated to my eye.

On my uncalibrated laptop, that image looks good to me, and comes out a tiny bit warmer on my iPhone 5s.

/applefanboi

As much of an android fan that I am, apple makes great displays.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Looks perfect on my imac

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Looks perfect on my imac

As it does on my iMac as well.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Santa is strapped posted:

I recently lost access to an okay monitor so I have to edit photos on my laptop. Now, when I edit the photo on the laptop I think it looks alright. When I view it on my tablet, it's not as saturated and more green. On my phone it looks greenish but not as much as on the tablet.

I know not to trust phone and tablet displays too much, even though they're nexuses with non-lovely displays, but can anyone with a calibrated monitor tell me how they see the photo below in terms of color?

Looks perfect on my calibrated Dell monitors.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

My monitor isn't calibrated so I checked it with a screen reader which didn't mention any colour issues.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

I was going to say the colour looks perfect but I was bored so I fired it up in photoshop and it does a very slight green tint (I'm talking moving down the green curve 2-5 points). You can test without having a calibrated monitor by using the colour sample tool set to CMYK on her skin on the face. Generally you want the M and Y to be close for white people, but you were pretty close to begin with so I guess it's a matter of opinion/style.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's great news then. PushingKingston, I never knew that CMYK trick, thanks!

big scary monsters posted:

My monitor isn't calibrated so I checked it with a screen reader which didn't mention any colour issues.

What's a screen reader?

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 12, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

What's a screen reader?

A program that reads the text on the screen out loud for people with vision problems.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ha! That wooshed right over my head! I was thinking, "no way he's talking about text-to-voice!". I guess I wasn't thinking.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I am sorry, it was a pretty bad joke and I feel bad about it now.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

big scary monsters posted:

I am sorry, it was a pretty bad joke and I feel bad about it now.

Presumably there's a small number of photographers who need screen readers.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ZippySLC posted:

Presumably there's a small number of photographers who need screen readers.

One of my worst fears is losing one of my eyes. This is why every day I make sure to look straight into the sun through my camera for a couple minutes. It hardens the crust and makes the eye more resilient to spikes, iron syringes and low flying teeth.

On topic: Are old soviet MF lenses and cameras any good? I'm thinking of getting into MF and I may be able to source that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

No Gravitas posted:

On topic: Are old soviet MF lenses and cameras any good? I'm thinking of getting into MF and I may be able to source that.

It totally depends. They range between garbage and stuff that is literally made on Zeiss equipment and tooling. Generally speaking, your quality varies widely. Two sequential cameras off the line could be vastly different in quality depending on how drunk the workers were at the time (on Saiga shotguns, some of them are known as "vodka specials").

Moskva-5s are generally considered pretty good. Iskras are good but finicky. Volna lenses aren't bad, Kiev-60 bodies are a bit on the janky side. The Kiev-88 hasselblad copies have a reputation for fragility. There's also some TLR copies and stuff.

These days my opinion has shifted against Russian stuff. Medium format stuff is so cheap anyway that unless you can pick it up for basically free you're not coming out much ahead. If you don't pay for someone else (Fedka, ARAX) to deal with it for you, you're playing Russian Roulette with a couple hundred bucks. There's no reason to risk $150 on an ebay Kiev-6c (or $600 on one from ARAX) when you could get a Pentax 6x7 kit, working condition, 6 month warranty, for $325. The good news is that many of the common problems aren't too bad to fix, so if you're willing to fiddle a little bit and risk your camera you can do a lot of that yourself.

There's still some things that are useful for other reasons. For example the Arsat 35mm fisheye is widely adapted to other systems, which is nice on systems that either have no fisheye or where it costs as much as a small house.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you get one with a P6 mount, like a Kiev 6C, 60, 90 or 88CM, you get to use Zeiss Jena glass which is pretty nice stuff. Arsat/Arsenal glass is a bit hit or miss in terms of optics and the build quality is generally not great, not sure what their cameras are like.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
There needs to be some kind of breathylizer attached to my computer so I can't log into Keh when I've had several beers. In other words, a beautiful, new-to-me RZ67 showed up today! The body is in amazing condition, the 110/2.8 lens looks perfect, the WLF had a tiny amount of foam fall out of it when I cycled it up and down the first time, and the 'bargain' rated back seems to function great with the notable exception of letting the shutter fire while the darkslide is in. I have to say I was expecting this anvil to be even larger than it is based on what everyone's said online, but it doesn't seem terribly more unwieldy than the 501C I used years ago. Still pretty darn huge, but I'm super excited! :coal:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

the 'bargain' rated back seems to function great with the notable exception of letting the shutter fire while the darkslide is in.

With the shutter in mechanical backup mode (orange dot) it'll fire even with the darkslide in. If it's firing with darkslide in even in the normal electronic shutter mode (white dot) then the darkslide interlock is broken and you should exchange the back and/or camera, which they'll do for free, because even BGN stuff is supposed to be functionally perfect.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yup it's doing it even in white dot mode. I'm assuming it's the back just because the body seems so new, but I definitely plan on taking full advantage of Keh's generous support. :)

What a dark, bottomless hole of film expense I'm staring down. I love it.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

There needs to be some kind of breathylizer attached to my computer so I can't log into Keh when I've had several beers.

I can hardly avoid just throwing the CC down on the KEH site when I'm sober. I could hardly imagine it when I've had a few beers.

A MF system is in my near future. I just have to be patient.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

I can hardly avoid just throwing the CC down on the KEH site when I'm sober. I could hardly imagine it when I've had a few beers.

A MF system is in my near future. I just have to be patient.

What are your objectives? Size? Quality?

Medium format slides have been kind of horrifying for me, because I now realize how awesome 8x10 slides would be. :smith:

e: If I remember, you need to drunkenly send your Mamiya Six off to get fixed :doom:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 13, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Yup it's doing it even in white dot mode. I'm assuming it's the back just because the body seems so new, but I definitely plan on taking full advantage of Keh's generous support. :)

What a dark, bottomless hole of film expense I'm staring down. I love it.

One thing that it occurred to me to check before you send anything back - does the shutter fire with no back on the camera at all? If so, the body is the problem.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Paul MaudDib posted:

What are your objectives? Size? Quality?

Medium format slides have been kind of horrifying for me, because I now realize how awesome 8x10 slides would be. :smith:

e: If I remember, you need to get your Mamiya Six fixed :doom:

Right now I'm just thinking about biting the bullet and getting a Pentax 645N. My objectives are taking really good looking pictures without a painful amount of hassle - that's it.

The 645N would probably cost less than fixing the Mamiya Six at the end of the day.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

Right now I'm just thinking about biting the bullet and getting a Pentax 645N. My objectives are taking really good looking pictures without a painful amount of hassle - that's it.

The cheapest path from your current position is to send the Mamiya Six off to get cleaned. It'll cost less than buying a system in good condition, even 645. If you'd prefer a SLR to a rangefinder, go for it, but the Mamiya Six will take really good looking pictures.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 13, 2013

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Paul MaudDib posted:

The cheapest path from your current position is to send the Mamiya Six off to get cleaned. It'll cost less than buying a system in good condition, even 645. If you'd prefer a SLR to a rangefinder, go for it, but the Mamiya Six will take really good looking pictures.

Well it has a shutter that has who knows what kind of problems with it, and a really foggy rangefinder. I could potentially fix it for $100, or it could potentially cost $500.

I'm not discounting fixing it eventually, but being able to get into a really good MF system for <$400 sounds pretty good to me.

Edit: But actually at the end of the day I'm not doing anything until I get the CC's paid down a little more. There's a lot of Portra and Tri-X that I can run through my K1000 until the time is right.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

One thing that it occurred to me to check before you send anything back - does the shutter fire with no back on the camera at all? If so, the body is the problem.

Thanks for the tip; it doesn't fire without a back installed, I just get the ol' check engine light. So I guess buying the back that cost $39 when all the others were twice or more is the problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

After finally getting a battery for the SQ-A and hoping the test roll of Ektar 100 went through OK, I got my first MF negs back today:

Flower by Quantum of Phallus, on Flickr

Oisín by Quantum of Phallus, on Flickr

Socrates by Quantum of Phallus, on Flickr

Medium Format :whatup:

Can't wait to get some Portra or slide film into this thing :allears:

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

So I bought a Kiev 60 on ebay that, according to the seller, has never been used. Now I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it arrived today and seems to be in good condition. Pretty happy with my purchase.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

---_2022 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_1987 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_1994 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_2000 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_1999 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

i guess i've been taking pictures again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What are you scanning with dorkasaurus?

• Locked thread