Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cloudy McPouty posted:

You were fast roping but you can't have p-mags? Where do you work?

I'm not talking poo poo, I'm just kind of baffled...

Yeah, they were banned last year because they MIGHT, maybe did once, possibly, melt or some poo poo when used with the IAR/M27. I'm sure if you're on an actual combat deployment they could care less. You definitely see dudes using them. My unit sucks, in short. We aren't allowed poo poo like that. The mag-pull (?)pieces you put on the end of the mags to yank them out (whatever they're called), personal slings, fingerless trigger finger gloves, p-mags, and god forbid you put some American flag patch or your blood type patch anywhere on your gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Christoff posted:

Yeah, they were banned last year because they MIGHT, maybe did once, possibly, melt or some poo poo when used with the IAR/M27. I'm sure if you're on an actual combat deployment they could care less. You definitely see dudes using them. My unit sucks, in short. We aren't allowed poo poo like that. The mag-pull (?)pieces you put on the end of the mags to yank them out (whatever they're called), personal slings, fingerless trigger finger gloves, p-mags, and god forbid you put some American flag patch or your blood type patch anywhere on your gear.

Today I learned what the M27 is! I had never even heard of that weapon system before now :(

Is it an adequate replacement for the SAW? I would feel nervous only having a 30rd magazine...

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

As long as the M27 is actually functional with a magazine, it's an improvement. Running a SAW with a STANAG was an exercise in "plink" wiggle magazine "plink" wiggle magazine ad-nauseum.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Carteret posted:

As long as the M27 is actually functional with a magazine, it's an improvement. Running a SAW with a STANAG was an exercise in "plink" wiggle magazine "plink" wiggle magazine ad-nauseum.

i would hope it's fully functional with a magazine as it's only magazine fed

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

haha

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Seriously though. The entire role of the SAW is to be the most casualty producing weapon within a Fireteam (I don't see how an M27 fills this role with such a small magazine size). How is the M27 any different than a M4 that is fully auto? From the pictures it looks like it has a "slightly" longer barrel than an M4, but aside from that I feel like I am missing the point.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Carteret posted:

Everyone who is assigned a 249 tries it out with a magazine once. Once. If you were seriously in a spot where that was an idea you'd really be way better off letting the dudes with M4s keep their mags.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
We got this grizzled old staff sergeant who is 48 years old, and that fucker makes it work. He uses the magazine like a monopod and using the force or voodoo or whatever knows how to tilt the mag so its actually reasonably reliable.

It appears to be loving terrible for your mags though.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

gleep gloop posted:

Everyone who is assigned a 249 tries it out with a magazine once. Once. If you were seriously in a spot where that was an idea you'd really be way better off letting the dudes with M4s keep their mags.

I was the SAW guy. If you put one hand on the mag, you could wiggle that poo poo as you fired to the point where you could almost make it serviceable. But seriously, gently caress that noise. If you ran out of belt ammo, you are most likely in a world of hurt.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Now I'm imagining a SAW with a drum magazine and how ridiculous it would look. Seriously making me giggle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Today I learned what the M27 is! I had never even heard of that weapon system before now :(

Is it an adequate replacement for the SAW? I would feel nervous only having a 30rd magazine...

From what I understand it was supposed to be a complete replacement and then they realized how fast a 30 round clip goes on full auto. Not sure why they don't just issue bigger clips. I'm not sure how long it's actually been field tested in Afghanistan. I don't think it's been out too long. All that being said we still have 2 saw gunners per platoon now. (I think they added this fairly recently)

There are some M4A1s around but only for people like recon, snipers, and FAST teams. Don't think normal grunts get them. Either way I don't know poo poo about guns.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Christoff posted:

From what I understand it was supposed to be a complete replacement and then they realized how fast a 30 round clip goes on full auto. Not sure why they don't just issue bigger clips. I'm not sure how long it's actually been field tested in Afghanistan. I don't think it's been out too long. All that being said we still have 2 saw gunners per platoon now. (I think they added this fairly recently)

There are some M4A1s around but only for people like recon, snipers, and FAST teams. Don't think normal grunts get them. Either way I don't know poo poo about guns.

probably cause larger magazines like the cmags are hilariously unreliable

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The new high cap surefire mags work great though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I just looked those up and they look loving hilariously fun.

Not 160 bucks + fun, but pretty fun.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
It takes a while to get use to the weight of the 100 rnd one.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Can someone tell me what rules this guy is breaking in taking this stupid loving pic if any?

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

No rules really, just confirming how gay it is to hot swap bunks with 2 other dudes.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

about_face posted:

Can someone tell me what rules this guy is breaking in taking this stupid loving pic if any?

being a gigantic human being is about it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

being a gigantic human being is about it

Took the exact words right out of my mouth.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I forget the exact wording of the black glove definition but I'm pretty sure it excludes motorcycle gloves.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

about_face posted:

Why the gently caress does the navy have a water camouflage pattern anyway? They are on a boat...if I fall in the water...I want people to loving SEE ME. Make my uniform bright rear end orange

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

about_face posted:

the lighting is all hosed (seriously who uses a flash), shot is crooked, grainy and unfocused, some weird blue thumb thing in the corner, trim on the wall is going straight through the subject's head

a disgrace

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Maybe it's the camera operator's Parkinson's, maybe it's the lighting, but that rifle looks plastic as gently caress.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The dust cover looks weird.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just noticed the my little pony stuff. Wow.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Carteret posted:

The dust cover looks weird.
Also no brass deflector, no holes for pins (could be the lovely picture) and generally a mish-mash of odd parts. I can certainly see something like that coming out of the very back of an arms room, but the more likely answer is Airsoft.

VVV The original KAC rails aren't free float.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 10, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Something looks wrong about that quad rail too. It doesn't look like it's free floated.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Uhh...those...those are motorcycle gloves. Not Mechanix or whatnot. :stare:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

looks like this sailor is having a fashion emergency

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Saw some guy at the veterans parade wearing full nwus riding a motorcycle

Was made cool by th fact that he had long flowing locks like Skynard cover band length

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Beria posted:

Was made cool by th fact that he had long flowing locks like Skynard cover band length

lol at retirees wearing full ACUs or other working uniforms

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Beria posted:

You should respond by wearing coveralls with large medals.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
I think the only things I will ever wear are pea coat or maybe parka in inclement weather

about_face posted:

lol at retirees wearing full ACUs or other working uniforms

He was e4 so I highly doubt he retired

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Beria posted:

inclement weather

Have you even left the military?!

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Beria posted:

I think the only things I will ever wear are pea coat or maybe parka in inclement weather

I will never look as cool as my Dad did in the 1980s, when he would put on his Vietnam era trench coat for the cold weather. Instead, my children will laugh at me when I put on an ACU gortex with its lovely hood.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Have you even left the military?!

I just lke the phrase, ok ??

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cloudy McPouty posted:

I will never look as cool as my Dad did in the 1980s, when he would put on his Vietnam era trench coat for the cold weather. Instead, my children will laugh at me when I put on an ACU gortex with its lovely hood.

I keep scouring the local version of goodwill for a lovely tore-up gore-tex jacket or gloves so I can test dye it. I've got a never used APECS goretex, but the internet is inconclusive on whether the dying process will ruin it or not.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Godholio posted:

I keep scouring the local version of goodwill for a lovely tore-up gore-tex jacket or gloves so I can test dye it. I've got a never used APECS goretex, but the internet is inconclusive on whether the dying process will ruin it or not.

Are you trying to change its color? I'm curious because I have never heard of anyone trying such a thing before.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yes. I want it either dark green or black. But the only dyes that work on the materials are the kind that need to be boiled into the fabric. The internet seems split on whether this will destroy all the internal seals and possibly clog the gore-tex's pores, so I want to test it on something I don't give a poo poo about and can buy for $10.

It's a nice coat, but there's not a chance in hell I want to wear babby's first attempt at gravel-camo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
However it happens can you post a picture of what it looks like?

• Locked thread