Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
What kind of framerate is everyone getting?

I just picked up an R9 280X (rebranded ATI card, equal to a 7970 IIRC) and it's buttery smooth on most maps - but I do get some drops to the 40s from time to time.

(On an old i5 2500k)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

MrBims posted:

I'm fine with one guy being able to do it, but two people is too much. I don't really consider it teamwork for one person to be putting in effort while two of his friends hold down their left mouse button - that isn't a very fun way to play for 2 of the 3 people involved, and it shouldn't be rewarded with allowing the third to be a twitch.tv pubstar.

It's fun when you get to use your launchers and stuff.

One thing I wish they did was have the guy in the co-pilot seat be able to use weapons. You know, shoot through the glass, mark targets or repair the helicopter. While the other two passengers can do everything they do right now except for repair the chopper.

That way you have an extremely deadly helicopter when everyone is working together but are still limited by the repair speed of one engineer. Similar to how attack boats can have one guy repairing and two gunning.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

MrBims posted:

I'm fine with one guy being able to do it, but two people is too much. I don't really consider it teamwork for one person to be putting in effort while two of his friends hold down their left mouse button - that isn't a very fun way to play for 2 of the 3 people involved, and it shouldn't be rewarded with allowing the third to be a twitch.tv pubstar.

To be fair this is a really easy way to unlock things for the scout heli and also get Engie Kit points.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Liberatore posted:

That way you have an extremely deadly helicopter when everyone is working together but are still limited by the repair speed of one engineer. Similar to how attack boats can have one guy repairing and two gunning.

To be fair though the dudes on the back of an attack boat usually die very fast and it takes much longer to repair than the helo. I feel like if when hit by stingers or IGLA/lock ons they had a significant chance to kill the passengers it could be balanced, but right now you can peg a little bird with a stinger and both engineers will have it back up to full before your next missile hits.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wang posted:

To be fair this is a really easy way to unlock things for the scout heli and also get Engie Kit points.

And SMAW triple kills.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

NaDy posted:

I don't particularly get why people complain about chopper pilots with engineers repairing them. This is a game that encourages teamwork and that's a good example of it. If the other team was working together to gang up on the chopper, not just 1 person with an IGLA, you could pretty quickly take it down.

Also, every game I played today crashed. :negative: Might go finish Arkham Origins until the client crashes are fixed.

I don't know how to fly helos for poo poo. I kind of blunder about the sky and consider it a victory if I don't plough into a skyscraper.

If there are 2 people in the back of my chopper repairing I don't die, and I'm shrugging off rocket impacts that while they may not be coordinated, are certainly happening close together.

It's kind of broken and if nothing else thematically stupid that a little bird, never mind the larger transport helos, can be massively more resistant to damage than a dedicated, heavily armoured gunship.

(I like the AA tanks. Gunships are food to me. Transport Helos and scout Helos? I've seen those things shrug off ludicrous sustained punishment, although I see less of them get out of it now I run active missiles)

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Red87 posted:

To be fair though the dudes on the back of an attack boat usually die very fast and it takes much longer to repair than the helo. I feel like if when hit by stingers or IGLA/lock ons they had a significant chance to kill the passengers it could be balanced, but right now you can peg a little bird with a stinger and both engineers will have it back up to full before your next missile hits.

True, but I think attack boats are less reliant on it too. See the MAA for instance. Without someone repairing your scout helicopter, you pretty much can't go anywhere in its line of sight if the guy has active radar missiles and is half-way decent at using them. Boats aren't that vulnerable to anything in the game short of other boats.

As it is you can take out a scout helicopter with two engineers repairing it by using the SRAW with a laser designator, hitting it with an IGLA/Stinger at the same time a MAA hits it with active radar missiles, or having three engineers with an IGLA/Stinger hit it. There's also TV missiles, hitting them with a RPG 7/SMAW/SRAW by yourself, (I think) laser designated javelins and TOW missiles, among other methods. Needless to say, most of those require some level of coordination that the average team won't have.

But if you had only one Engineer repairing the helicopter, you'd have more viable options for taking them out.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 11, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I'm kind of the opposite of the do-nothing snipers everyone hates--I'm always trying to gain ground and clear objectives, but it usually ends with a score of, say, 3-20. It's pretty frustrating :(

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
It's because the helicopter versus lock-on weapon balance is so out of whack right now that you're seeing the ability for two repair guys to fix a scout in less then two seconds. It's almost like Dice realized at the very last minute of development that after introducing all these new lock-on weapons/buffing the existing ones that choppers wouldn't stand a chance in a full game, and said 'Well, we can't help it that attack choppers are going to constantly get poo poo on but I guess we can allow two repairmen to fix a scout quick to sort of make up for it, so I guess works??'. I expect if they ever properly balance air vehicles versus anti air you'll see a reduction in repair tool speed in scouts, and if not then they will just leave it as it is.

Also remember as long as certain rocket launchers do OHK damage against choppers they will never truly be 'invulnerable', just keep practicing your SRAW, RPG, SMAW ect shots and once you get the hang of it you'll wonder how you ever thought those lovely choppers were ever invincible.

edit: new info about Second Assault as well: https://twitter.com/BFDaily/status/399451483046830081/photo/1

"Second Assault map descriptions & features! (Five new weapons, an all-new vehicle, Capture the Flag game mode"

Someguy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 11, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Even with all the instability issues of BF4 I love the game enough to get a "gaming" monitor and ordered a BenQ XL2420TE from Amazon as it's on sale there. Can't wait for it to come in.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Can premium be had anywhere for cheaper than full price?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Ciaphas posted:

I think I'm kind of the opposite of the do-nothing snipers everyone hates--I'm always trying to gain ground and clear objectives, but it usually ends with a score of, say, 3-20. It's pretty frustrating :(

Snipers can't do anything involving firefights by themselves. If you're a solo sniper your should spend the majority of your time using your awesome tools to give everyone on your team wallhacks and laser targets. If you have an opportunity to backcap or take shots at guys trying to flank your teammates that's cool too, but it isn't really your job.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I was shooting barrels with my sniper in the test range when I got a conquest service star.

Any idea how to keep it :v:?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

MrBims posted:

Actually that's literally teamwork and it doesn't matter what you think. I love repairing ships that are dominating, so please take your judgements elsewhere. Thanks.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Actually that's literally teamwork and it doesn't matter what you think. I love repairing ships that are dominating, so please take your judgements elsewhere. Thanks.

It's still a bad gameplay mechanic but whatever I'm sure it's a feature by now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4oMLGyOaQ

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Time to fill up the server again. If anyone is bored come gently caress around with us:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/servers/show/pc/c9e267f0-bbb3-4534-b8c6-0a8a50cec150

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The biggest problem maps with the scout helicopter are the ones where the MAA is tied to holding a point (Resort and Paracel which you'll note are also infantry heavy maps with only a few light vehicles). If one team has both the MAA and a two engineer scout chopper on those maps you aren't ever going to kill that chopper without a lucky-ish AT rocket shot, a jet ramming it, the pilot losing control after a missile hit, or a literal teamwide/mapwide gauntlet of Stingers/IGLA's. Paracel isn't so bad because taking B is fairly simple and the MAA usually hangs around there any way so its easier to kill. But taking C in Resort is a motherfucker against an entrenched team with all their armor there, being supported by a nigh-unkillable helicopter, unless your team has its act together.

In BF3 DICE did a small balance of Wake Island by tying the MAA on that map to one of the "side" points, D I think, so the US team could theoretically take it away a lot easier. Since Resort and Paracel aren't Conquest Assault maps it'll be harder to balance but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change like that, barring some kind of repair speed change to scout choppers. I still think my idea of having a form of "suppression" affecting the repair speed of vehicles under fire is the best one though :colbert:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The problem is that it takes a unbalanced amount of teamwork to bring it down, (probably) killing yourself along with the chopper, or the dedicated anti-air vehicle which, I've noted above, is not always available. A scout chopper shouldn't be able to withstand more punishment then a tank. A tank, even with two engineers repairing it, will not survive more than 3 rear shots without firing back. A scout chopper can absorb nearly infinite missiles from infantry unless they are fired extremely close together without firing a shot or even retreating, and that's even assuming no flares are ever used.

Ciaphas posted:

The first thing to do is unlock a carbine.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 11, 2013

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Ciaphas posted:

I do this too but I tend to play the sniper more as a designated marksman. The actually DMR's are terrible but a iron sighted scout elite is a point and click solution. (my scores are marginally better than yours)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I meant as any class, not just Recon :v:

Assault seems to be the best fit for my playstyle of "gently caress IT JUST GO" but I'm never really sure what to do when I encounter enemy vehicles besides die. Do they unlock any anti-armor eventually?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone have advice on using the SRAW? I just unlocked it, and am excited to learn it, but I have yet to hit an air vehicle, and it doesn't seem to do much damage to land vehicles.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone have advice on using the SRAW? I just unlocked it, and am excited to learn it, but I have yet to hit an air vehicle, and it doesn't seem to do much damage to land vehicles.

I've been trying it all day. I think it might've been nerfed in the AA aspect. It's still pretty nice against tanks since you can hit them at such range.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Recon is actually useful this time around, now that you have access to the entire Carbine/Shotgun tech trees, along with C4 and some other team-helping goodies. If you're squad leader Recon with a carbine actually makes more sense as "support", as you can lase targets, drop spawn points, throw wiz balls all while carrying a carbine (or shotgun) for short-mid and mid-long range to actually support your squad. Good times.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I've only hit a heli once in 20+ tries but unless it's hovering or coming straight at you, the missile has to be led quite a bit.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Same as any of the dumbfire launchers really. Positioning is everything. Just because you have a rocket launcher that can land hits across the map doesn't mean you should be taking those shots all the time.

Don't attack them from the front, or at an extreme distance from any angle, unless they're already being attacked. That's one of the main advantages of the SRAW, you can back up any battle as long as you have line of sight to it.

If you've used the SMAW frequently before, that's about the range where you will be effective by yourself, but once again, you should try to get those mobility hits to prevent them from retreating.

As for air-attacks, practice on the AC-130, close range helos, or the orbiting drones in the TEST RANGE! That will help you get a feel for how the rocket's flight handles.

Use it to pick off those redline snipers who are going for those 500 meter headshots. Also don't forget to drop the scope when you're confident the missile will hit so you can reload the launcher sooner!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can premium be had anywhere for cheaper than full price?

Green Man Gaming with one of their random codes

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kibayasu posted:

The biggest problem maps with the scout helicopter are the ones where the MAA is tied to holding a point (Resort and Paracel which you'll note are also infantry heavy maps with only a few light vehicles). If one team has both the MAA and a two engineer scout chopper on those maps you aren't ever going to kill that chopper without a lucky-ish AT rocket shot, a jet ramming it, the pilot losing control after a missile hit, or a literal teamwide/mapwide gauntlet of Stingers/IGLA's. Paracel isn't so bad because taking B is fairly simple and the MAA usually hangs around there any way so its easier to kill. But taking C in Resort is a motherfucker against an entrenched team with all their armor there, being supported by a nigh-unkillable helicopter, unless your team has its act together.

In BF3 DICE did a small balance of Wake Island by tying the MAA on that map to one of the "side" points, D I think, so the US team could theoretically take it away a lot easier. Since Resort and Paracel aren't Conquest Assault maps it'll be harder to balance but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change like that, barring some kind of repair speed change to scout choppers. I still think my idea of having a form of "suppression" affecting the repair speed of vehicles under fire is the best one though :colbert:

I think a much bigger problem with the maps is people's tendencies to just flock to the rooftops and sit around sniping all day long which leads to non stop rocket/stinger barrages from the sky. They really should give the commanders some always around artillery or something to not only give them something to do (which is a huge problem when being the commander, even when people follow your orders and you are winning theres not much to do but click a button every couple of seconds with no real care) but some artillery would discourage people from just sitting around in AA trucks and on roof tops. I played a round on some random 70p server on the downtown map with the exploding pipeline and I swear 80% of both teams were on different rooftops just trying to be bad rear end snipers.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Has anybody figured out a use for the MP-APS yet? Seems kinda pointless aside from annoying enemy engineers by sticking one down next to a squadmate in a tank.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
So is the SCAR pretty much the only weapon that I'll ever need as Assault?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

n0n0 posted:

So is the SCAR pretty much the only weapon that I'll ever need as Assault?
[insert AR here] with stubby/potato grip and muzzle brake/compensator is all you'll ever need.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Ciaphas posted:

I meant as any class, not just Recon :v:

Assault seems to be the best fit for my playstyle of "gently caress IT JUST GO" but I'm never really sure what to do when I encounter enemy vehicles besides die. Do they unlock any anti-armor eventually?
Nope. Have fun dodging tanks!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

Nope. Have fun dodging tanks!

Welp, back to Engineer then. 'least they've got carbines, I suppose.

Miss that grenade launcher and health pack, though :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Welp, back to Engineer then. 'least they've got carbines, I suppose.

Miss that grenade launcher and health pack, though :(

This may sound strange but you're allowed to hide when tanks are nearby. You don't have to actually try to do anything against them :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

This may sound strange but you're allowed to hide when tanks are nearby. You don't have to actually try to do anything against them :v:

I know, I just get annoyed when I run into something like that, then die without being able to do a drat thing. :shrug:

Speaking of engineer, can the LAW autoaim for planes or just ground armor?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

If the helicopter/plane gets close to the rocket (or vice-versa), then yes. But it has to be pretty drat close.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Acquilae posted:

[insert AR here] with stubby/potato grip and muzzle brake/compensator is all you'll ever need.
Yeah, kinda impressed with how good each rifle is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

If the helicopter/plane gets close to the rocket (or vice-versa), then yes. But it has to be pretty drat close.

Noted, thanks.

Is there any point at all in using the PLD while solo on a public server?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone else notice the sound loop bug happening more often when playing with friends? I mean, it still happens a fair bit otherwise, but I'm finding the past couple days if I join a friend's game I'm pretty much guaranteed a crash within five minutes.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Acquilae posted:

Stubby / potato grip is actually kind of useless IMO. Angled / Folding and Vertical/ Ergo has a much larger effect on your weapons performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Acquilae posted:

It's actually Ergo/Vertical grip and HB/Silencer once you get better. Though the compensator has its uses. Muzzle brake is only a crutch before a player learns to control a gun's recoil.

• Locked thread