Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Switched display outputs on my videocard for Pinball Arcade and now Portrait Mode is running fine on computer instead of it being sluggish on monitor 2.

However, I lost the ability to enter my initials as a high score with my gamepad in some of the games! I used to be able to hit 'A' to enter them in, now the plunger works on some of the games, but not all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mattfl posted:

Has anyone ever told you about visual pinball or future pinball? :)

Stop making me want to spend money in maybe the spergiest way possible :argh:

But yea I love Pinball Arcade and it has enough poo poo to keep me amused for a good bit now, so for a good bit I'm expecting my pinball hunger to be sated.

Until Season 3 of tables comes of course.

Also if I can get an endless loop of Medieval Madness' "TROOOOOOLLS" clip I'd never stop playing it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Visual and Future Pinball are free. They've got lots of recreations and original tables to play. Visual supports PinMAME so you can play SS tables in it. The physics and graphics in both are kinda dated and wonky and the quality of the art depends on the individual creator but they're pretty cool.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
So I know that nudging isn't working as intended in the PC version of PBA, but should I expect the plunger to be jerky with a gamepad? Wouldn't have bothered asking, but the Steam forums are worthless right now.

Also, I've gotten two random pauses in about an hour of play. One was with KB&M and one was with my 360 pad :stare: I haven't had anything remotely like that in any other game I've been playing.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Bovineicide posted:

So I know that nudging isn't working as intended in the PC version of PBA, but should I expect the plunger to be jerky with a gamepad? Wouldn't have bothered asking, but the Steam forums are worthless right now.

Also, I've gotten two random pauses in about an hour of play. One was with KB&M and one was with my 360 pad :stare: I haven't had anything remotely like that in any other game I've been playing.

For the plunger, try recalibrating the controller, and be sure to use the left stick instead of the D-Pad when it tells you to use the D-Pad (for some reason, the driver treats both of those as interchangeable, which will leave you with a stupid sensitive left analogue stick if you follow the instructions as written), the plunger was kind of janky for me too until I recalibrated.

The pauses just seem to happen sometimes. :shrug:

Farsight! :v:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Ernie Muppari posted:

The pauses just seem to happen sometimes. :shrug:

Farsight! :v:

gently caress it, I'll just play on PS3 until they get their poo poo together. If ever :v:

Good to know I'm not going crazy, thanks.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
It took a follow-up email, but Farsight converted the Kickstarter TZ table from XBox to Steam. They're apparently getting hounded by these requests right now so there's some delay, but if you're looking to change over now is a good time.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Bovineicide posted:

gently caress it, I'll just play on PS3 until they get their poo poo together. If ever :v:

Good to know I'm not going crazy, thanks.

Yeah, it's annoying when it happens, but it's pretty infrequent for me at least.

Also I don't have any other way to play TPA so my only option is to put up with it.

...or not play the game, but that's silly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I've been playing off and on all day and I've run into one pause, so it's at least not a major bug.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Anarch posted:

It took a follow-up email, but Farsight converted the Kickstarter TZ table from XBox to Steam. They're apparently getting hounded by these requests right now so there's some delay, but if you're looking to change over now is a good time.

Yeah, I'd already purchased TNG on pretty much every platform, so they offered me my choice of pro packs instead. Pretty decent of them, I suppose.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

quote:

- Dual-stage flippers On/Off in table settings.
- Event cameras On/Off in table settings.

Thank Christ. The PS3 version has needed these changes forever, so at least PC gets them.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Thank Christ. The PS3 version has needed these changes forever, so at least PC gets them.

Two stage flipper toggle has been out for a couple months now on PS3. As has the event camera I think.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The dualshock 4 is really awesome for this game. No more fighting the squishy buttons. Has farsight mentioned if this game/table dlc will have any ps3->ps4 discounts? I'm holding off grabbing s2 until that version is out or I can get a definitive answer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So got it installed on my cab.

1280x1920 on my 24" monitor works great.

The screen that says hyperpin is my backglass monitor, are there plans to add support for that in TPA?

I must say the whole game looks and probably plays a lot better than any version on visual pinball/future pinball and if they can get all the bugs worked out this will probably replace both those on my cabinet.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

So I finally got a chance to try Star Trek over at Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills, MI earlier today. It was a little annoying, because as I was walking up to it, this guy got in in front of me and put seven credits on it. After asking if I could give him a buck and use one of his credits, I played a round of LOTR while waiting for him to burn through them.

I liked the table more than I was expecting. It was fun, and I'm not sure which firmware it was running, but I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed that I, while only hitting around 30 million, lasted almost as long as his seven games did. I guess I play a slower game with catches vs. simply flipping away at everything. Anyways, fun game!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Two stage flipper toggle has been out for a couple months now on PS3. As has the event camera I think.

That's good to hear. I haven't played the PS3 version in a few months.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kilometers Davis posted:

The dualshock 4 is really awesome for this game. No more fighting the squishy buttons. Has farsight mentioned if this game/table dlc will have any ps3->ps4 discounts? I'm holding off grabbing s2 until that version is out or I can get a definitive answer.

Does the Dualshock 4 do plug and play with Windows, or does it require the same kind of fuckery necessary for the DS3?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Medieval Madness technique question. Chasing the white whale again and got to the battle for the kingdom. Made the first round of shots and started in on the castle for the final time - where the trolls pop up and they aren't affected by shots. I knew this was the case and had saved troll bombs - dropped both of them right when they came up. I made 4 of the 6 shots on the castle, and then botched it.

Question to those who have done it a bunch - should you take the trolls down? Obviously it makes the shot on the castle easier, but also increases your risk of STDM crap coming off the gate. If you have the troll bombs in reserve - do you use them or not?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Medieval Madness technique question. Chasing the white whale again and got to the battle for the kingdom. Made the first round of shots and started in on the castle for the final time - where the trolls pop up and they aren't affected by shots. I knew this was the case and had saved troll bombs - dropped both of them right when they came up. I made 4 of the 6 shots on the castle, and then botched it.

Question to those who have done it a bunch - should you take the trolls down? Obviously it makes the shot on the castle easier, but also increases your risk of STDM crap coming off the gate. If you have the troll bombs in reserve - do you use them or not?

I will without hesitation always burn any troll bombs I have in battle for the kingdom. I can nudge a ball coming from the gate 95% of the time to a flipper. I can't do it if it happens from a troll.

Also re: Kilometers Davis, Bobby King confirmed discounts for people who own PS3 packs on the PS4 in the podcast the fan forum guys did a couple weeks back. I can't recall what the amounts mentioned were or find anything in writing though so go look that up or just wait for better info.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 12, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Visual and Future Pinball are free. They've got lots of recreations and original tables to play. Visual supports PinMAME so you can play SS tables in it. The physics and graphics in both are kinda dated and wonky and the quality of the art depends on the individual creator but they're pretty cool.

I like Future Pinball just for the sheer amount of obscure stuff that people are recreating, like old 1930's and 40's games like the original Ballyhoo and stuff like that. You're probably not going to find anything like that in Pinball Arcade.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Anybody know anything about creating tables for Visual/Future Pinball? I've got stupid ideas for pinball tables I'd like to make if I had any mechanical skills and it'd be cool to at least realize them virtually.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Always. I never start Battle For The Kingdom until I have at least 2 troll bombs. You can avoid STDM off the gate with proper nudging.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Werthog 95 posted:

Anybody know anything about creating tables for Visual/Future Pinball? I've got stupid ideas for pinball tables I'd like to make if I had any mechanical skills and it'd be cool to at least realize them virtually.
For VP, take your time and follow a long installation guide like this.

After that, the editor is pretty decent for decade-old noncommercial/open source software. The 9.1.6 alpha adds some good stuff for the editor like layers.

The hard part is making it look good. The scripting is VBScript and it's a hundred-line pain to get primitives moving smoothly. Primitives are apparently limited if you're not importing from a 3D modeling program, and they don't interact with the ball.

I'll post what I've made if I can get virtualdub working.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, I managed to become Lost in the Zone tonight, so I'm happy. I was rather shocked, however, that 1.288 billion wasn't enough to beat the default high score on the table. :stare:

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Yeah, get a pair of bombs and use them, you don't want to get down to one ball because of bad bounces and get the ball stuck behind the right troll, watching helplessly as the timer ticks down (also to make castle shots easier). :v:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Both season packs for TPA are available on Steam now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/238270/?snr=1_4_4__103

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Both season packs for TPA are available on Steam now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/238270/?snr=1_4_4__103

Aaaaand Steam doesn't recognize that you already own the packs if you previously bought them in-game.

Of course.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ovaries posted:

Aaaaand Steam doesn't recognize that you already own the packs if you previously bought them in-game.

Of course.

We really need a :farsight: icon in vein of :dice:.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Terminally Bored posted:

We really need a :farsight: icon in vein of :dice:.

I'm thinking something like :xcom:, but with the eye logo and "TILT".

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
People are seriously just trying to find stuff to complain about at this point. Besides there's so much worse poo poo wrong with the game why is that even a thing.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Nurge posted:

People are seriously just trying to find stuff to complain about at this point. Besides there's so much worse poo poo wrong with the game why is that even a thing.

I'd like the game to stay in my library if I ever uninstall it. Because I paid for it. I recognize that this problem is entirely on Steam's end and it's something that I brought up literally on day one of the game's release.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

ovaries posted:

Of course.

It's also reported that if you buy a pack off Steam (and not in-game) you don't get additional card drops. :farsight:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Not that anyone cares but me, but another failed Battle for the Kingdom. Crap. Started the final shots on the castle with 3 balls left out of the 4, but only one troll bomb. It took out the left troll rather than the right one that I would have preferred. Right troll was the best goalie of all time. Got three shots on the gate, but drained out.

Did beat that stupid video mode though.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Not that anyone cares but me, but another failed Battle for the Kingdom. Crap. Started the final shots on the castle with 3 balls left out of the 4, but only one troll bomb. It took out the left troll rather than the right one that I would have preferred. Right troll was the best goalie of all time. Got three shots on the gate, but drained out.

Did beat that stupid video mode though.

I'm not sure I've ever even managed to start a video mode in medieval in probably at least 20 hours of playing the table between PC and PS3. Is there some trick to that?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Nurge posted:

I'm not sure I've ever even managed to start a video mode in medieval in probably at least 20 hours of playing the table between PC and PS3. Is there some trick to that?

Merlin's Hole makes it seem like it may be a random choice but it isn't. You need to complete the FIRE rollovers 8 (or is it 20?) times, and then you'll get it as the next Merlin award. Not really a trick, but it's the only way as far as I'm aware.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Same Great Paste posted:

Merlin's Hole makes it seem like it may be a random choice but it isn't. You need to complete the FIRE rollovers 8 (or is it 20?) times, and then you'll get it as the next Merlin award. Not really a trick, but it's the only way as far as I'm aware.

8 for the first one, then something like 40 for the second.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ovaries posted:

I'd like the game to stay in my library if I ever uninstall it. Because I paid for it. I recognize that this problem is entirely on Steam's end and it's something that I brought up literally on day one of the game's release.

Yeah, and I pointed out yesterday that you lose access to all your purchased tables if you're offline, which is loving bullshit.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

I'm curious, did you buy the season pack or individual tables?

I just tested this and my season 1 pack worked just fine. To clarify - I purchased through in game store and not listed steam DLC. I tested two ways.

1 - I restarted Steam in Offline mode. It worked. Exited.
2 - Unplugged network from my desktop and did the same as in step 1. Launched and all was still well.

pvax fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 12, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pvax posted:

I'm curious, did you buy the season pack or individual tables?

I just tested this and my season 1 pack worked just fine. To clarify - I purchased through in game store and not listed steam DLC. I tested two ways.

1 - I restarted Steam in Offline mode. It worked. Exited.
2 - Unplugged network from my desktop and did the same as in step 1. Launched and all was still well.

Huh, the only thing I bought was Star Trek. Restarted Steam in offline mode, turned off computer, left town, and when I launched PA with no internet access, could not access Star Trek, only TOTAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Nurge posted:

As others have mentioned, you have to light the F-I-R-E lanes 8 times to enable it. Merlin shows it as a possible award but you won't get it. Not sure if it's possible without lighting the lanes first, but I don't think so. As Some Great Paste mentioned though - if you light the lanes 8 times you will get it on your next Merlin's Magic guaranteed.

Also - kinda like pressing launch in the video mode for Attack From Mars, if you have them, Troll Bombs will kill all the buzzards on the screen at once. A nice feature if you're close to beating the video mode and have one to spare. Note that you really do want 2 Troll Bombs for the final battle if you get there, so I wouldn't do this if you don't have three or more. Not sure if you can use this feature more than once per video mode.

EDIT - Huh. Reading a bit, and you may just get one launch press per video mode regardless. Not sure if it uses a Troll Bomb or not.

Lastly - if you launch 3 cows in a row with the catapult, the children in the video mode that you're trying to save are replaced by calves. Unconfirmed by me, but I've read that the buzzards lift them slower, making the video mode easier to win. I enjoy the Barnyard Madness way too much to bother shooting only cows though.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 12, 2013