Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Best: Hard choice between G1 Grimlock and RTS Lugnut.
Grimlock was the second TF I bought back when I started collecting about 18 months ago, once I found a decent one on ebay, and I still think it's a cool transformation/bit of engineering for being ~30 yrs old. Plus, childhood memories and justification - how do you argue with the enthusiasm that goes with "it's an awesome looking robot that turns into a loving T-Rex? His characterization in the US comics/cartoon can kiss my arse though.

Lugnut I bought on recommendation from this thread having not heard of him before. First CHUG I got, and holy poo poo this is what they can do with engineering these days? Magic all round.
(This opinion may change as I have MP Smokescreen on pre-order, and MP Soundwave to pick up from a friends this week)

Worst: Generations Blitzwing. You all know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Worst, Generations Octane. I hate him more than Generations Galvatron

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Worst for me is easy:

The only decent thing I can say about him is the alt mode looks okay, for a boring mid-level car. Otherwise not one redeeming feature.

Best for me is harder because I have trouble separating the character from the mold. If there was a fire and I could only save one figure I'd pick MP-10 Prime, because he encapsulates Transformers like no other single figure for me, but I don't consider him the pinnacle of Transformer engineering or anything.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Knormal posted:

Worst for me is easy:

What the gently caress is that

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

The Rage posted:

What the gently caress is that

That's Armada Sideswipe.

My favorite far and away is Cybertron Prime.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
In a lot of ways, I find the Mazda RX8 Jazz/Meister to be the pinnacle of the concept. The car mode isn't just gorgeous, it manages to have as near a perfect and believable car interior I've ever seen in a TF. Rear loving seats! No sign of anything untoward except the centre bar the canopy is attached to. Plus the bonnet and boot still open, the wheel steering's linked, the suicide doors are present, the robot mode is a very good likeness of Jazz...

It's just a genuinely wonderful example of a robot in disguise.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Animated Rodimus would probably be my favourite Transformer I've ever picked up. Small, sleek, compact, yet it unfolds into this gigantic thing through engineering that I've always found to be quite intuitive. To me it always represented perfectly what Transformers mainline should aspire to.

Worst like, i dunno, I think ROTF Arcee takes that pretty handily. Just this weird, ugly, awkward, awful toy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

drat straight! My first Optimus, the flagship of the line that got me into Transformers, and almost flawless even by 2013 standards - I can count its "outdated" aspects on one hand! It wasn't afraid to partsform in order to do its job - that job being "represent the TV design accurately, complete with articulation and personality". I STILL need a replacement Magnus, but I love my RID Prime.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

In a lot of ways, I find the Mazda RX8 Jazz/Meister to be the pinnacle of the concept. The car mode isn't just gorgeous, it manages to have as near a perfect and believable car interior I've ever seen in a TF. Rear loving seats! No sign of anything untoward except the centre bar the canopy is attached to. Plus the bonnet and boot still open, the wheel steering's linked, the suicide doors are present, the robot mode is a very good likeness of Jazz...

It's just a genuinely wonderful example of a robot in disguise.

I had the Shockwave version of that mold and could never transform it without the hood popping off.

I found the new Deluxe Prowl and I have to say; I like even more than the Smokescreen. The head sculpt is great. And as a funny aside, the instructions show the rubber armor for the car mode and the "webbing" that goes with the missile, but the toy doesn't have it in the package. Now, this is one those "last of the wave" toys that become rare, so if you see one and have even the slightest interest in Prowl or the mold, pick it up.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, BH Prowl is a much better use of the mold, and the remolded head is fantastic.

I still recommend you pick up Night Shadow Bumblebee from the same wave, he's an awesome dead-eyed murder machine. The best black BB repaint since Cyberfire 'bee.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
My love mainly lies with the Binaltechs. Jazz and Shockware are both gorgeous in both their car and robot modes, Shockwave manages to evoke his G1 form and style by design alone, and the paintjobs are beyond beautiful in Binaltech. Along with that, the S2000 mold is quite solid, easy to transform and looks great as well(I have the Overdrive and Arcee versions, Arcee has the nice subtle glitter paintjob too) Hell, I even like Corvette Ravage for being sleek and black, and Grimlock despite his complexity. He really does evoke a dinobot in both modes.

As for others, G1 Soundwave holds a special place in my heart. RiD Scourge is also great(I have the Black Convoy version) I also highly enjoy RiD Omega Prime, despite him being a bit top heavy. I will also never tire of transforming Classics Prime. The first movie Prime is also delightfully chunky.

Worst has to be Cybertron Thundercracker. He looks decent in jet mode, but robot mode just falls apart, especially with the loose arm/cannon. Classics Octane/Tankor also is a resounding meh for being rather shoddy in all three modes(Although airplane mode is kind of OK) And there's RiD Side Burn, with one of the worst transformations I know. Parts just pop off if you're not careful, and you're rotating and re-rotating certain parts over and over again, hoping to find that magical angle where it works properly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I wish they'd bring back Alternators/BT. I loved 1/24 real licensed cars. I don't even care if they do it at a higher price point. So many good cars left to do.

I'd kill for an Alternator Mercedes G-class of Brawn.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Man, I really can't tell you what my favorite Transformer is. I have a bunch that I really like.

MP Prowl, MP Sideswipe, MP Prime (v1 and v2), G1 Sixshot, G1 Soundwave, E-Hobby Purple Galvatron, G1 Ultra Magnus, G1 Countdown Micromaster Base, G2 Megatron, G2 Dreadwing, BW Dinobot, BW Metals TM1 Megatron, Machine Wars Starscream, RiD Scourge, RiD Rail Racer, Alternators Tracks, Binaltech Hound, Animated Shockwave, Classics Wheeljack\Tracks\Battlechargers, United Jazz\Stepper... and the good old G1 minicars.

That's a lot more than you wanted, wasn't it? I hate trying to rank things numerically or say "this is the best one ever." When asking my what favorite Transformer is, the best I can do is narrow it down... to about twenty.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I still have all my Binaltechs and I don't think they aged very well, especially compared to the recent MP cars.

Most of my problem comes with the heads being too big and the gorilla arms.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

therealjon_ posted:

I still have all my Binaltechs and I don't think they aged very well, especially compared to the recent MP cars.

Most of my problem comes with the heads being too big and the gorilla arms.

Feel free to sell them to me now that the market has bottomed out. I couldn't afford them at the time and the prices now are so low compared to what they used to be, it feels like stealing. I'm having a full-blown Alternators renaissance these days. The Jeep mold isn't as good as I remembered, unfortunately, but it still feels pretty great in-hand.

edit: but I really agree about how they compare with the MP cars. When I turn them over in vehicle mode I'm all "holy poo poo look at all the wasted space!"

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I want so many weird things lately, this "best of" business isn't helping me out at all.

Santa bring me a BW Neo Big Convoy, a HA Jazz, a Binaltech Shockblast, a Super Soaker 200, and a G1 Weirdwolf. Deluxe Evac! G2 anything.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 17, 2013

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I hardly know anything about Binaltech but Shockblast is a repaint/remold of the Jazz everyone raves about? I guess mine's hosed then because I got him in a joblot and have never been able to transform him into car mode, despite studying the instructions. His back end/legs simply won't fold in to complete the car and as someone else mentions, his bonnet pops the gently caress off. Hmmm.

Also I thought they still made new Binaltechs?

Goldskull fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 12, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goldskull posted:

I hardly know anything about Binaltech but Shockblast is a repaint/remold of the Jazz everyone raves about? I guess mine's hosed then because I got him in a joblot and have never been able to transform him into car mode, despite studying the instructions. His back end/legs simply won't fold in to complete the car and as someone else mentions, his bonnet pops the gently caress off. Hmmm.

Also I thought they still made new Binaltechs?

The little triangle part of the hood was the worst part of that one particular mold. They quit making Alternators/BT, and make a smaller (1/32nd ish) Japan-only line called Alternity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

strangehamster posted:

Santa bring me a BW Neo Big Convoy, a HA Jazz, a Binaltech Shockblast, a Super Soaker 200, and a G1 Weirdwolf.
poo poo, I would have sold you my HA Jazz no problem. Why didn't you mention that?

On the topic of headmasters, is four the number for the FansProject line or have they hinted at doing all of them?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

strangehamster posted:

Santa bring me a BW Neo Big Convoy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAKARA-TRAN...=item3f2b19c15d

$35 + shipping.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Legends Swerve has the best packaging of any transformer of all time. :colbert:

It's nice that the new legends wave has been hitting stores. I'm eager to have more characters who are not Optimus/Bumblebee/Megatron/Starscream or based on their molds.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Goldskull posted:

The transformation of the Mazda mold is a bit annoying at first but it helps to look at the sculpted details to see what goes where in terms of the legs. The transformation does involve a bit of rotating them around excessively but I always worked around it to get the same results(his crotch also needs to be turned the other way around, with the upper leg fronts facing down in vehicle mode, and there's the whole bit with arranging the seats and getting the joints in their proper position)

I've experienced the hood-popping with the head as well, which happens easier with the Shockwave head due to its shape and dimensions, so you need to wiggle it a bit to get it to fit properly(Helps to have his head look up as it goes through)

Although the Dodge Ram modeI(Nemesis Prime in my case) is the more annoying one to transform properly, I can never get the front aligned as nicely as it was in the package. Along with that, my BTA Alert has suffered from mold degradation so it's rather all over the place. For some time I was unable to get the car transform down properly because of very tight joints and alignment issues. I prefer him in robot mode anyway, especially after a head swap with Alt Prowl and third-party missile launchers from the Binaltech Arming set(Also came with a vacuum metallized Energon sword that I gave to Nemesis Prime)

Still, the realism of the car modes and the chunkyness and added weight of the diecast, along with the paintwork, is why I love them. I can't actually think of any bad molds in that line and I've got at least one of every mold there is.

I mean, just look at that paintjob!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've even got a few of the KOs in that line. They loved making different country's police cars- like Chinese cop Prowl and such.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

GD_American posted:

I've even got a few of the KOs in that line. They loved making different country's police cars- like Chinese cop Prowl and such.

Have you ever stumbled across an Ironhide or Ratchet recolor of the skids mold? Because I've never seen one and....DUH, guys.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Have you ever stumbled across an Ironhide or Ratchet recolor of the skids mold? Because I've never seen one and....DUH, guys.

I have.

Well, that's because I took a skids and spray painted him red once.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
The closest you'd get would be the KO Hummer based on Hound. It was available in black and red. The red version was used for a few Ironhide customs, and the black one for Trailbreaker(Considering the head's already available via Swindle) I've also seen a white knockoff Hound as base for Ratchet.

The Skids mold never got a KO from what I've seen though.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So I bought all the Scout/Legends/whatever they are figures from HTS with that Family2013 code and I was super impressed with all of them until I got to Starscream. drat that one is a turd and a half. Good thing he comes with a sweet targetmaster.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Rage posted:

So I bought all the Scout/Legends/whatever they are figures from HTS with that Family2013 code and I was super impressed with all of them until I got to Starscream. drat that one is a turd and a half. Good thing he comes with a sweet targetmaster.

Yeah that Starscream is the least favorite of all the Classic Starscreams it seems. It's also not a different rendition of him according to the bio. Legends Bumblebee is Actionmaster Bumblebee(his partner can simulate the jetpack), Optimus Prime is the G1 Prime that comes with Roller, Megatron is his other comic Incarnation, but Starscream isn't even a different version. Like he's not even Pretender or Actionmaster Starscream, he's just Starscream who already had a legends version of him in RTS.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What's wrong with legends starscream
He's a pretty cool starscream IMO

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

What's wrong with legends starscream
He's a pretty cool starscream IMO

Flip it over and look at the bottom

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The Rage posted:

By that logic almost every not-masterpiece Starscream toy is garbage.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

LightsGameraAction posted:

By that logic almost every not-masterpiece Starscream toy is garbage.

Also by that logic almost every jet period is garbage.

(but I kind of agree with the Rage anyway, I hate how common bad jet mode undersides are)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Only good jet mode is Scourge and Megatron/Dreadwing. They can at least hide everything.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Only good jet mode is Scourge and Megatron/Dreadwing. They can at least hide everything.

Scourge does it better.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Rage posted:

I think it's the other way around, that Waspinator is all loose and wobly and not good. Starscream is just super average. Wish his head moved, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What size class are they actually anyway? I know they're saying Legends but they look a bit bigger.

Also watching Peaugh confused about the "binary gun" is just hilarious to me somehow. Skids looks pretty nice anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Not gettin Skids because his altmode burns me. It's not a big heavy duty van kinda thing, it's a little blue sportscar, and I don't like it.

The Rage posted:

What starscreams are immune to this, especially on a legends toy. Have you owned other starscreams.

His Jetmode looks like a cool jet his robot mode looks like a cool robot, that's all it's supposed to do.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think it's the other way around, that Waspinator is all loose and wobly and not good. Starscream is just super average. Wish his head moved, though.

Weird, mines the exact opposite. No floppiness at all in his arms/legs.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Not gettin Skids because his altmode burns me. It's not a big heavy duty van kinda thing, it's a little blue sportscar, and I don't like it.

What starscreams are immune to this, especially on a legends toy. Have you owned other starscreams.

His Jetmode looks like a cool jet his robot mode looks like a cool robot, that's all it's supposed to do.

I have the previous "legends" sized Starscream and Thundercracker sitting on my desk on top of Metroplex and they both look less awkward on the bottom. For a figure that retails for $10+ you think they could have done something to eliminate the gap in his chest and the fact that his arms literally just drop down next to his legs, hands and all still visible. If this thing was $5, sure, I could ignore that but the truth is the smaller legends figure does a better job of hiding its robot parts than this scout legends does.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

G1 Skids was a turbo car smaller than a VW Beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Phy posted:

G1 Skids was a turbo car smaller than a VW Beetle.

Whaaaaaat. He wasn't a van?
Shows what I know about cars, trucks, and vans.