Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I prefer modded slow cars, as driving something made to go 60 at 160 mph is more fun to me than something built to go that fast. Maxing out the VW bus in GT5 was a perfect example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

El Hefe posted:

I like to drive the relatively powerful cars, at least a MX-5, I can't drive a Fiat 500 and have fun though they are just too slow, but the GT Academy demo made driving around in a Leaf fun so it looks like things have changed in GT6 with the new physics.

Didn't you join in one of the GTCCCs with the maxed 500's? Those things were fun as hell!

I love the slower cars, they're more readily controllable when you do something stupid, like jack the suspension way the hell up in a samba bus and drive like a loon. That and I can make my own mostly-controllable fun with a few minutes playing with the suspension and gearbox. Stuff like the FGT just isn't fun to play with, especially if you're trying to keep the drat thing straight with a controller.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm gonna have to try that sounds fun, what I can't stand are comfort tires, those seasonal events where they make you use comfort tires are awful.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's also fun to put all the power upgrades on a smaller car and no handling/wheel upgrades so it immediately torque steers and flips over on launch. Not to mention making representatives of all the various car subcultures (murdered out Chrysler 300, crazy ricer Civic, hellaflush BMW, etc.) Basically the fact that modern car sims let you do things other than select a car and drive it around a track is great.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Lower end cars are fun driving with other goons in lower end cars. I'm much more thrills guy so when alone I want a higher end car like my kamikaze lap at the Nordschleife + GP track I put in a 7:17 in a Peugeot 908. That was one of the most thrilling laps I've ever done.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could drive any of the cars I've owned irl in GT. No Dodge Colt, Ford Probe or Contour, Caddy Deville, or Nissan Sentra. Drop a Skyline and add a Sentra for me, please :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A 1967 Chevy Nova is this year's GT Awards Best-In-Show, meaning it'll make it's way to GT6.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

On pre-order chat, for UK folk it's really quite simple: GAME has all of the pre-order packs. :v: And they know it, too: the version with all the stuff in it is £60.

If you don't want to shell out for the special edition, Amazon is the better value.

Amazon: Torque Pack and Precision Pack, £39.97
GAME: Precision Pack, £44.99

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does the U.S. not get a special edition of Gran Turismo 6?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

radiatinglines posted:

I like to drive the high end stuff because it's more intense. Going 220mph on the nurburgerkingring and cutting the grass is a lot of fun.

Muscle cars on the ring are the best, nothing more relaxing than tiergartens in a Viper :getin:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I was really disappointed when I saw that there's all those preorder/special edition cars for the game because I hate when games pull that poo poo, but it looks like they're just specially tuned/painted versions of cars that are already in the game anyways? I'm paranoid since the Forza games keep locking away cool cars for people who cough up extra cash for the special edition only, and it's such a lovely business practice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They are all cars that you can buy. They have terrible paint jobs too. I'm not gonna use them because the paint jobs look bad and I want to start fresh like God intended.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I love the low-to-mid tier cars, I can't stand the super slow ones like the Samba bus, but anything from a Golf V / Renault Clio Sport, to a Nissan 370Z / BMW M3 is totally awesome for me. It lets me have fun (as soon as correct track selection is made, because they're not fun at Monza, you want to go Autumn Ring) without making me spin out on every mistake.

I also like some of the higher end cars, but most of the time they're too loving squirrely and unforgiving for my limited driving skills... I'm looking at you, Zonda. And also they have less appeal because I know I won't ever be driving any of that, but I may actually have a chance at driving a 370Z someday.

Anyways racing is fun with whatever car fancies you at the moment, but please Polyphony let us drive more cars on more tracks in the career mode, do not give us only 10 choices for a race of which 7 are variations of the same model. Goddamnit you have a thousand cars and GT5 forced me to pretty much use about 1/10th of that, and my favorite cars were always out of the requirements for some reason or another!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love all cars and just want to drive every thing. But BMW's are my spirit animal.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MUFFlNS posted:

I was really disappointed when I saw that there's all those preorder/special edition cars for the game because I hate when games pull that poo poo, but it looks like they're just specially tuned/painted versions of cars that are already in the game anyways? I'm paranoid since the Forza games keep locking away cool cars for people who cough up extra cash for the special edition only, and it's such a lovely business practice.

Get used to it, it's not going away and is prolly gonna keep getting worse and more intrusive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gran Turismo isn't locking away cars. But I bet there's still going to be a crap load of DLC, and a super fragmented online community because track DLC is confirmed.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Oh well, at least it's not all day one DLC and there's still plenty of new cars and tracks in the base game anyways, so if they drop some tracks or whatever in a month or two it's not as offensive. I'm starting to really sour on DLC as a whole though because when I stop to think about all the DLC I've bought for various games throughout this console generation, I must have dropped at least $500 which is just stupid.

My most recent offenses for dumb DLC purchases are the season passes for Halo 4 and Gears of War Judgment, holy poo poo was that a colossal waste of money :( Also snagged the season passes for The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite which have been okay so far I guess?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

Oh well, at least it's not all day one DLC and there's still plenty of new cars and tracks in the base game anyways, so if they drop some tracks or whatever in a month or two it's not as offensive. I'm starting to really sour on DLC as a whole though because when I stop to think about all the DLC I've bought for various games throughout this console generation, I must have dropped at least $500 which is just stupid.

My most recent offenses for dumb DLC purchases are the season passes for Halo 4 and Gears of War Judgment, holy poo poo was that a colossal waste of money :( Also snagged the season passes for The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite which have been okay so far I guess?

Yeah it can get pretty nuts. One time I sat down and added up what I paid for Mass Effect 2 on 360 then had a little weep. Luckily I was able to snag the XL version of GT5 with all the DLC included.

E: also I assume there will be a GT6 racing club? I can't wait to lose to everyone, forever.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 8, 2013

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

E: also I assume there will be a GT6 racing club? I can't wait to lose to everyone, forever.

Yeah in private games is the GT5 racing group, GTCC:CCC. When we do our final race Thanksgiving weekend I'll gear up for GT6 GTCC thread. Not sure if some people want to do a serious racing group and a general goof off race group which that thread is.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

I said come in! posted:

Gran Turismo isn't locking away cars. But I bet there's still going to be a crap load of DLC, and a super fragmented online community because track DLC is confirmed.

That's not how DLC for GT5 worked, you could get on any lobby with Motegi or Spa even if you didn't buy those tracks.

Polyphony are cool like that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Hefe posted:

That's not how DLC for GT5 worked, you could get on any lobby with Motegi or Spa even if you didn't buy those tracks.

Polyphony are cool like that.

I know that was true at one point, but I thought they took that option away eventually? No idea if that'll work in GT6.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I don't know, I bought the DLC anyway so I can't check now but I was racing in Spa even before they released it in NA just by joining online races.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I know that was true at one point, but I thought they took that option away eventually? No idea if that'll work in GT6.

I think they might have, yeah. I remember telling a friend to skip buying the DLC since he could just join online lobbies to race on the tracks without owning it, and when he went to try it he said it didn't work. This was quite a while after the DLC came out though, about a year or so if I recall correctly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

LittleBigPlanet includes all the DLC in the game updates, so you're never blocked from playing any stage because you didn't have the DLC. For instance, the Pirates of the Caribbean DLC for the first game added proper water, but you could still play stages other people have made that use it. You'd have to buy it to use it in your own stages.

However, I think the reason why this wouldn't be used in a racing game is because unless you really wanted to use the content offline, or to set up a match yourself using the course, you're essentially getting it for free.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I had the edition that came with Spa so I can't speak for that track, but I do recall not being able to join online races on the test track, which annoyed me because of its price. SS11 (?) made up for not having a straight track to test for speed at least.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I think they eventually changed it so you could [just] sit in the lobby while everyone else had their fun on Spa &c., but the game wouldn't let you race. But it's been a while since they changed that.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm kind of surprised that the release date is a Friday, which is kind of confusing since most games come out on Tuesday. I hope that I'm off that Friday, this way I can the game all day, if not then I'll just wait a few hours to do so after work.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there any info on the B-Spec mode? It was easily my favourite thing from GT4 (because gently caress the licence tests); testing setups and watching awesome cars, while still checking the net, reading, and doing whatever.
Watching tire wear and fuel consumption, and configuring cars was a fun car based puzzle game.

I love GT and Forza, but how you progress just isn't exciting to me anymore, though it's hard to see how one could set up these games differently. :geno:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Mister Macys posted:

Is there any info on the B-Spec mode? It was easily my favourite thing from GT4 (because gently caress the licence tests); testing setups and watching awesome cars, while still checking the net, reading, and doing whatever.

I love GT and Forza, but how you progress just isn't exciting to me anymore, though it's hard to see how one could set up these games differently. :geno:

B-Spec won't be in initially, it'll be patched in later as far as I know.

Kaz got rid of the levelling system though (thank god), now there are stars you need to earn before advancing to the other more advanced series.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I was looking through the feature list on the website again, and two things jumped out at me. Firstly, there is a Stockyard in addition to your Garage to store the cars you "don't use regularly". Makes me think there is going to be a cap on how many garaged cars you can have, which is annoying. Also, there are going to be races that "recreate the feeling" of enduro racing in a short time. Tire wear and time changes, I assume.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Discussion question while we wait for new news: Do you like to drive the lower or higher-end cars, generally? While there is a definite visceral appeal to bombing around tracks I'll never get to drive on in cars I'll never be rich and famous enough to touch much less flog around, a lot of the fun of these modern sims like Forza and Gran Turismo comes from taking an ordinary street car like a Mazda MX-5 or a VW GTI, or an antique like an old Thunderbird and slowly but surely upgrading, rebuilding, and tuning it until it can compete with actual GT cars. I like taking it around a track stock, then fully prepped and seeing my times drop 20-30%. How about you?

Normally I like the high-end stuff but I have to admit one of the most fun experiences I've ever had in the game was one of the very first online events where you had to do a lap of London with some ridiculously limited amount of performance points - for quite a while I was in the top 10 with that little 600cc delivery van thing tuned to buggery. Then someone discovered a glitch/loophole that let you get a seriously tuned Mini in and I ended up in the high thousands (which is still the highest I've ever managed in one of the online events...)

I think there's a lot to be said to being restricted (the Performance Points system did that pretty well IMO) to force you into being a bit more creative to win rather than just bolting on a bigger turbo. London remains my second-favourite track (after Grand Valley, and I know I'm in a minority there too) not just because it's my home town and I know those streets IRL, but because the sheer tightness of the track really forces you to work on your technique and setup. Grand Valley fulfills that too because of the sheer variety of bends, it's impossible to set the car up and have it perfect through the entire track.

As an aside, I'd love to see more heavy restrictions on online events (and as an aside maybe a rule that your *second* fastest lap actually counts for TTs because the amount of people who win with an absolute fluke corner cut really winds me up) to force people into working more on setup and line rather than more hp = better than - if you're going to have a physics engine that complex why hide it?

Actually as an aside to that aside, why don't they put decent telemetry in to go with the anal-retentive setup options - Geoff Crammond cracked this in the 80s, FFS, why does The Real Driving Simulator give you less feedback about how the car is handling through a given corner than a stock Nissan Skyline? There's literally no point being able to tune limited-slip diffs, for example, without getting wheelspin telemetry because there's no way even the best wheel can communicate that to you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Control Volume posted:

Muscle cars on the ring are the best, nothing more relaxing than tiergartens in a Viper :getin:

Fairly certain my fastest - certainly my most fun - lap of the 'Ring was in a NASCAR. I've no idea why it should be that way but seriously that car was loving flying.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fairly certain my fastest - certainly my most fun - lap of the 'Ring was in a NASCAR. I've no idea why it should be that way but seriously that car was loving flying.

ahahaha makes me think of this moment in GTCC. drat it's been over 2 years since this thing happened. Just a reminder the replay hosed up and thought we were racing in day time. We actually were in almost pitch black conditions and NASCAR cup car don't have lights so we're just following a rainbow line in the rain. Also I discovered rain tires are poo poo and intermediates will curb stomp anyone in rains as I obliterated everyone in this race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1ONsS-Py4

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

NASCARs on "normal" racing tracks are always fun. "OK now turn. Turn. TURN IN PLEASE AAAAAAH" and then you hit a wall. But in a good way. Also doing racing karts vs Kei Cars on the Nurburgring.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

BMB5150 posted:

ahahaha makes me think of this moment in GTCC. drat it's been over 2 years since this thing happened. Just a reminder the replay hosed up and thought we were racing in day time. We actually were in almost pitch black conditions and NASCAR cup car don't have lights so we're just following a rainbow line in the rain. Also I discovered rain tires are poo poo and intermediates will curb stomp anyone in rains as I obliterated everyone in this race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1ONsS-Py4

I remember doing that entire race in tears because I was laughing so hard.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

I remember doing that entire race in tears because I was laughing so hard.

We may have to go to Spa at night with the Gen 6 NASCAR cup cars in the rain and see the most spectacular crash in Eau Rouge history.

We also have our first hands-on with a almost completed GT6 thanks to GT Planet.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-hands-on/

Good:
Fun factor and how close it's to the real car is back
UI isn't loving stupid and now it works and not a mess to scroll around
AI has been improved to race each other and not be part of a hivemind single file, but still not perfect
Sound has been improved slightly so they are working on updated audio but it's not huge right now
Linear to start off with in career and then branches out to do whatever

Bad:
Laggy with big fields in front of you squashed together
Chunky shadows trying to render the lighting in replay
Load times are still hosed sadly

They are still fixing bugs and poo poo but honestly I'll take some of the negatives for what we're gaining.

e: Yuns if you've been lurking this thread, you should get a playlist of all our races together on youtube since they're all unlisted videos.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 11, 2013

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm glad the AI being slot cars is fixed now, everything else looks great too. Shame about the load times, but that's what you get for cramming 30 tons of amazing into a Blu-Ray.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

BMB5150 posted:

We may have to go to Spa at night with the Gen 6 NASCAR cup cars in the rain and see the most spectacular crash in Eau Rouge history.

We also have our first hands-on with a almost completed GT6 thanks to GT Planet.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-hands-on/

Silverstone Stowe confirmed for day one. :getin: That track's going to be bedlam with a large field.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

NASCARs on "normal" racing tracks are always fun. "OK now turn. Turn. TURN IN PLEASE AAAAAAH" and then you hit a wall. But in a good way.

Stock cars are a great tool to help you learn how to use weight transfer, since they're generally a lot heavier than most other purpose-built race cars so the effect is much more pronounced. It's especially thrilling when you learn which corners let you just lift off the throttle and the car will throw itself through like a roaring cannonball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New info about the GPS app for GT6; http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-gps-data/

This is perfect for me, I live on a college campus that is up in the mountains. The whole school is built on a steep hill with a layout that is perfect for racing. :v:

• Locked thread