Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timeless Appeal posted:

revolutionary, but Robin potentially is.

It's like half a second of screen time, but I really liked how Gordan-Levitt played it disgusted and frustrated that he reflexively killed those two guys by the dock and throws his gun away. He really sold that he was unhappy with killing them beyond just the purely tactical "I could have learned more" reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Danger posted:

It's a line of criticism that was established in the first film (Ra's noting Tom Wayne's failure to act, pleading with Bruce to make an ethical commitment). To quote a famous Jeff Daniel's impersonator:

“The true ethical test is not only the readiness to save the victims, but also – even more, perhaps – the ruthless dedication to annihilating those who made them victims.”

I have to get off when you start getting into arguing ethical and philosophical viewpoints. Personally I think Ra's was full of poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darko posted:

...and as we see in TDKR, not just that - criminals go to jail, and the key is thrown away and they are forgotten, which causes the public to feel at peace for a number of years. He and Gordon take that to the extreme that the public demands (because in TDK, they feel the public is stupid and must be coddled in that way).

Contrast Batman's "the people are ready to believe in good" with Man Of Steel's "I believe in the people".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not about coddling, it's about who the people follow. Harvey Dent represents a democratically elected leader functioning in a Republic. Batman represents a leader who puts himself in power and acts on his own morality with no obligation to any agreed upon standards for governance nor the interest of the people. Batman chooses the former, and he's technically right. The problem is that just like Thomas Wayne who is essentially an ideal moral capitalist, Dent's death instead becomes a symbol of fear and therefore tyranny.

The whole point of TDKR is that fear and deception are inherently flawed tools for governance. That's why Bane is not an effective revolutionary, but Robin potentially is.
No, he's talking about the mobsters who ruled Gotham and rendered it a non-functioning republic. Batman Begins points out early on that Bruce understands crime can not be seen in black and white with the obvious example of him giving stolen food to children which is then mirrored by Selina in TDKR.

There's a bit more to it than that.

The three movies are about symbols, and trusting in said symbols.

- It all starts in Begins, where the League attempts to destroy Gotham as they feel that it is a symbol of decadence, and Thomas Wayne stops said destruction by being a symbol of lawful good within the city.
- The League's corruption of Gotham is enough to make the city entirely corrupt and kill Thomas (and Martha), but not destroy it, so they attempt to do so with grand, immediate designs.
- Bruce figures the only way to stop this is to escalate and become such a great symbol of fear that it will stymy all of this.
- Bruce doing this causes other elements within the city to also become symbols - The Joker becoming one of chaos to show that the city (and people) really are corrupt and will inevitably destroy themselves
- Meanwhile Batman attempts to save the city by using lawful good Harvey in the same way as his father to bring the city up
- The Joker messes this up by showing that even someone that is that -good- can be corrupted, and ruins Harvey
- Bruce and Gordon cover this up, making Harvey a FAKE symbol for good, and using this power to put criminals away indefinitely
- This causes years of relative peace, but all based on a false symbol
- Bane shows up as a revolutionary and exposes the lies, causing the city to turn on itself and basically starts what the League attempted at the end of Begins
- Of course Bane as a symbol of "the people" was false since he still handled control over to a 1%er with even worse daddy issues than Bruce (Talia)
- Bruce fails completely, takes a mythological journey through Hades and rises again, reborn as someone who is worthy of being a symbol, embracing the light and working with the lawful entities of the city (the police) to take down those elements
- He also realizes that Batman is stupid and can't exist anymore as-is, so he retires that symbol at it's height, and at the only time it is brought to the light in that manner

The movies seem to be showing a "be careful in who you take as an idol, as many are false." Where I don't agree with SMG's reading is that a big part of Bane's presentation is that while he was initially presented as a true revolutionary, the "twist" reveal is that he was actually an extension of the rich establishment (Talia) as well, and just another tool used to manipulate the masses, and thus no different than Bruce/Harvey/Gordon at the end of TDK. It took a complete rebirth/change of what Batman meant as a symbol, and embracing being out in the open, that finally "fixed" the city.

edit: Also, note that part of Batman's rebirth included being removed from the establishment (losing all of his status and money) after Talia, and by extension, Bane, was given complete control of it. Batman became "the people" for-real, while Bane was just faking it.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Rhyno posted:

That clip is still amazing after watching it 4 times. It blows my mind how different Evans looks these days. That dude really grew into his features, he really is Captain America.

I tell people all the time how disappointing it was for me when he was cast in FF originally. All I could think was "welp, there goes the best actor for a good Cap movie". I thought for sure he wouldn't have the chance at playing Cap. Lo and behold! Seriously, he was the best choice for Cap.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Colonel Whitey posted:

I have to get off when you start getting into arguing ethical and philosophical viewpoints. Personally I think Ra's was full of poo poo.

That's unfortunate, as it's sort of implicit to discussing the film. Ra's took the right steps in the wrong direction.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Danger posted:

That's unfortunate, as it's sort of implicit to discussing the film. Ra's took the right steps in the wrong direction.

I'm all for discussing what's shown in the film and how the film is presented but too often these discussions spiral into personal politics and Zizek quotes and I'm not really interested in that.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Frequent Whedon collaborator (including director/co-writer of Cabin in the Woods) Drew Goddard is writing the Daredevil series on Netflix.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Frequent Whedon collaborator (including director/co-writer of Cabin in the Woods) Drew Goddard is writing the Daredevil series on Netflix.

I know a lot of people here hated Cabin in the Woods, but I for one consider this a good sign.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darko posted:

Where I don't agree with SMG's reading is that a big part of Bane's presentation is that while he was initially presented as a true revolutionary, the "twist" reveal is that he was actually an extension of the rich establishment (Talia) as well, and just another tool used to manipulate the masses, and thus no different than Bruce/Harvey/Gordon at the end of TDK.

Talia isn't simply a rich person but a person who acts as something of a subversive parody of Wayne. She becomes the liberal capitalist philanthopist figure as a mask, so that the decadent rich and revolting poor alike will be blamed for the catastrophic destruction of the city. This was the original plan in Batman begins as well: have the poors go crazy and turn against the liberal rich who tolerated them - ultimately promoting fascism.

However, the message of Bane is that the performed ethical mask is his true self, and the reveal of his 'mere humanity' is a self-betrayal. Revolutionary Bane is the true Bane.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm all for discussing what's shown in the film and how the film is presented but too often these discussions spiral into personal politics and Zizek quotes and I'm not really interested in that.

This is a pretty good criticism of CineD as a whole.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Well that's one good thing, now let's get a lead actor so I can start actually getting hyped for this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I know a lot of people here hated Cabin in the Woods, but I for one consider this a good sign.

I don't like Whedon, but I loved Cabin in the Woods. I really dig the idea of having Netflix exclusive superhero shows if that means they'll be of the same caliber as House of Cards. Wish DC would consider doing the same for some of their properties.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

However, the message of Bane is that the performed ethical mask is his true self, and the reveal of his 'mere humanity' is a self-betrayal. Revolutionary Bane is the true Bane.

What from the movie demonstrates this? This is a worthwhile interpretation, but I don't remember anything suggesting the self-betrayal you mention.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I don't see this reading either. He has no other motivation beyond serving Talia's desires. She wants Gotham to burn and so Bane takes the mantle of Liberator in Talia's facade.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He and Batman are "brothers", it seems sensible that his convictions ultimately amount to the same thing as Bruce's.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sprecherscrow posted:

What from the movie demonstrates this? This is a worthwhile interpretation, but I don't remember anything suggesting the self-betrayal you mention.

The whole movie: Revolutionary Bane is a cool dude who stands for real truth and justice. Human Bane is a loser who goes out like a punk.

It's important not to get caught up in his 'deep' inner motivations, and to look at what he accomplishes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

I don't like Whedon, but I loved Cabin in the Woods. I really dig the idea of having Netflix exclusive superhero shows if that means they'll be of the same caliber as House of Cards. Wish DC would consider doing the same for some of their properties.

I'm still a bit apprehensive, but then again I've long said that my ideal film version of Daredevil would basically be Homicide: Life on the Streets with costumes and martial arts fights, so I don't see why the TV show format couldn't work.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

I'm still a bit apprehensive, but then again I've long said that my ideal film version of Daredevil would basically be Homicide: Life on the Streets with costumes and martial arts fights, so I don't see why the TV show format couldn't work.

I think the ideal film Daredevil would be a distinctly American counterpart to District B13.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Has Feige or anyone said definitively whether or not the four Netflix shows will be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
As petty as this is to say, I'd be less inclined to watch them if they're not.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cabin in the Woods owns, yay, we agree on something. :unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Neowyrm posted:

Has Feige or anyone said definitively whether or not the four Netflix shows will be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
As petty as this is to say, I'd be less inclined to watch them if they're not.

I'd honestly be surprised if they weren't.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

It seems it's just negotiations, they could go nowhere (though I doubt it). I haven't seen Cabin in the Woods, but his previous TV experience doesn't seem like "edgy street vigilante" to me. Still, I hope he does a good job, at least he seems like a fan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

It seems it's just negotiations, they could go nowhere (though I doubt it). I haven't seen Cabin in the Woods, but his previous TV experience doesn't seem like "edgy street vigilante" to me. Still, I hope he does a good job, at least he seems like a fan.

He wrote for Angel and that is what that show was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did he write the episode of Angel where Angel basically fought Girl Daredevil?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

greatn posted:

Did he write the episode of Angel where Angel basically fought Girl Daredevil?

"Blind Date", and no.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
I finally watched The Wolverine. Surprised by how much I liked it. Also surprised that it was rated PG-13 -- I counted three F-bombs and some really awesomely gory violence. It blows my mind they were able to get away with all that -- it sincerely felt like an R-rated movie to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mfaley posted:

I finally watched The Wolverine. Surprised by how much I liked it. Also surprised that it was rated PG-13 -- I counted three F-bombs and some really awesomely gory violence. It blows my mind they were able to get away with all that -- it sincerely felt like an R-rated movie to me.

Are you sure you didn't watch the extended cut?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It would have had to been, you aren't allowed to have more than one "gently caress" in a PG-13 film, unless that's changed recently.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

It would have had to been, you aren't allowed to have more than one "gently caress" in a PG-13 film, unless that's changed recently.

This is not a hard rule, nor has it ever been. The general idea is that the MPAA considers "gently caress" in a sexual context more objectionable than in a non-sexual context. So three "gently caress you"s is more acceptable than three "I hosed her"s.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wanna see John Waters cast as Dr. Strange.

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

The whole movie: Revolutionary Bane is a cool dude who stands for real truth and justice. Human Bane is a loser who goes out like a punk.

It's important not to get caught up in his 'deep' inner motivations, and to look at what he accomplishes.

Human Bane goes out like a punk because "The Legend of Bane" turns out to have been a lie. The symbol turned out to be a mere man, in contrast to what happens to Batman at the end. Legend Bane, the Bane who rose from the Pit, was never real, and the Legend is actually Talia, who replaces Bane and is then chased around by Batman and dies almost exactly like his father Legend Ra's al Ghul (except that, this time, instead of Batman killing Ra's while lying to himself that he didn't, he just kills her).

Also, Revolutionary Bane was never a cool dude who stood for real truth and justice. He was an outsider pretending to stand for a people he never knew or was a part of, an external force occupying and 'liberating' an angry Gotham that immediately embraced any form of revolt for the long-desired catharsis of toppling an unjust and corrupt system. He exploited real and deserved anger, but then armed a group of people to police the enemies of 'the revolution' while agreeing to live off of the scraps of the USA's table.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

It's never been 100% true, that I know of. (Though it did make for a great joke in the movie Student Bodies.) Hell, the American President had 3 uses of the work "gently caress" in it back in 1995, and it was rated PG-13.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gatts posted:

I wanna see John Waters cast as Dr. Strange.

"Mm, you're saying these hosts of Hoggoth are huge whores? Perfect."
"No no, hoary. Y'know, like old."
"Silver foxes? Even better."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

"Mm, you're saying these hosts of Hoggoth are huge whores? Perfect."
"No no, hoary. Y'know, like old."
"Silver foxes? Even better."

Hahaha, yessssss...come on, it'd be great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just cause Vincent Price is dead doesn't mean he shouldn't be Dr. Strange.

Perhaps you're leaning towards John Waters because he modeled his look after him?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Daniel Day Lewis for Dr. Strange, if only for the absolutely terrifying experience that would result during filming.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

Just cause Vincent Price is dead doesn't mean he shouldn't be Dr. Strange.

Perhaps you're leaning towards John Waters because he modeled his look after him?

Exactly. I had Price in mind but...yeah.

Jamesman posted:

Daniel Day Lewis for Dr. Strange, if only for the absolutely terrifying experience that would result during filming.

I think I'd enjoy seeing a documentary on Daniel Day Lewis' process and method acting on set. He'd probably actually open a portal to some dimension and act so hard he'd fix whatever mess came through.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Thanks for ruining the inevitable casting that won't live up to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jamesman posted:

Method acting so good he'll actually use real sorcery on set and freak everyone out.

• Locked thread