Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, this game has a stupid story, but I don't play Pokemon for the story. To be honest, Platinum has the best plotline, and it's still awful, because Pokemon does not do coherent, well-thought out plots. That's not what it's about. It's about battlin' monsters. :3:
Anyway I really liked White 2 because of all the Pokemon available throughout, including some very cool ones early on. There are some cool new features, though I've never really bothered with them because I never really took to them. Nothing as addictive as MINING (GAME FREAK BRING BACK MINING THAT WAS COOL). The female player character is probably the only one worse than the male one. Though the male one's no great shakes either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
I feel bad for not realizing exactly what Memory Link did and not hooking it up. Luckily a friend had finished Black 2 by the time I bought it and was able to play through on Challenge Mode. Definitely the hardest game to play through so far, and I was using a pretty good team too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Leper Colon V posted:

B2/W2 have so much better post-game than B/W. That on its own was enough to warrant a purchase for me.
BW has the best plot and worst postgame in the series, and BW2 has the best postgame but worst plot. More than a fair trade if you weren't already too burned out on Pokemon to keep playing after the credits.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Leper Colon V posted:

B2/W2 have so much better post-game than B/W. That on its own was enough to warrant a purchase for me.

Seriously, I just beat X and I'm really disappointed by how little there is after playing through Black 2 a while back.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Onean posted:

For the people saying they couldn't get into B/W2 due to it being so samey compared to B/W, have you never played Emerald after Ruby or Sapphire, or Platinum after Diamond or Pearl? :psyduck:

They're literally the same game with minor tweaks to the story to fit having all three legendaries, along with some extra post-game stuff and NPCs to help with online play. The differences between B/W and B/W2 are staggering in comparison to the other generations for a set of Pokemon games.

I do have to agree that the story in the sequels is weaker than in B/W, and that Hugh is, well, Hugh, but at least they had consequences of events from the first games, as railroaded into them as you were, carry over into the second set. There's also some story events that we'll see later on that were surprising to see in a non-offshoot Pokemon game.

Well, yeah, but I was a kid when Emerald came out, and I barely remember Platinum at all. I had a lot more patience (and time) then. And tolerance for lovely plots too I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

For the people saying they couldn't get into B/W2 due to it being so samey compared to B/W, have you never played Emerald after Ruby or Sapphire, or Platinum after Diamond or Pearl? :psyduck:

No, because why would you even get the other versions when the third versions (Crystal, Emerald, etc) are the best?. Screw the others, why would you even waste the money to buy them (this is the logic that led me to be really pissed when B2/W2 were announced because I skipped out on buying Black/White like an idiot, convinced that a Gray or something was coming...)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

TwoPair posted:

No, because why would you even get the other versions when the third versions (Crystal, Emerald, etc) are the best?. Screw the others, why would you even waste the money to buy them (this is the logic that led me to be really pissed when B2/W2 were announced because I skipped out on buying Black/White like an idiot, convinced that a Gray or something was coming...)

To be fair, it was an entirely valid assumption to make at the time, seeing as even Red/Blue had Yellow and Gold/Silver had Crystal. I'm glad they decided to try something new, though.

Edit: And to add something that actually applies to the LP, I'm curious to see what your team is going to wind up being, Choro, with the relatively large selection of monsters to choose from.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 10, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He had better find an Azurill with Huge Power. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Onean posted:

I'm glad they decided to try something new, though.
All signs point to them completely forgetting whatever lessons they learned with this game, though. But that's a Megathread discussion. v:v:v

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Onean posted:

For the people saying they couldn't get into B/W2 due to it being so samey compared to B/W, have you never played Emerald after Ruby or Sapphire, or Platinum after Diamo

You're missing a key bit of this: Black 2 came out way earlier than those previous sequels had. It came out the very next years, while there were on average spacing of about two years for the other "third versions". It was just too bloody soon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zorak posted:

You're missing a key bit of this: Black 2 came out way earlier than those previous sequels had. It came out the very next years, while there were on average spacing of about two years for the other "third versions". It was just too bloody soon.

I think the speed of it was hastened by the 3DS, Where as they reasonably may have waited the usual time period before releasing B2W2, the fact that the 3DS was already out and beating down doors probably hastened its production. Then again I don't know. Maybe they just finished the game quickly and decided to release it. Or maybe X/Y were nearing completion and they decided that rather than delay those games, they would release B2W2 sooner.

All I really know is I had a tonne of fun with B2, And while it didn't fix all my issues with Black (Why do I still have to wait until the end of the game to get certain pokemon I like? You could have made them available earlier.) It was an addictive game.

Especially one of the features that properly unlocks in the post game. So many old memories...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Onmi posted:

I think the speed of it was hastened by the 3DS, Where as they reasonably may have waited the usual time period before releasing B2W2, the fact that the 3DS was already out and beating down doors probably hastened its production.

Release dates have little to do with production time, really. They can generally just sit on it if they want, and often do.

It's more a product of the Japanese and US release dates more closely aligning over time; the US release date of Black was substantially later than the Japanese version, but then that spacing was made quite a bit shorter the next time over as the release date pulled closer to Japan's. Which is great in a general sense, but it did make jumping into almost literally the same game after little over than a year somewhat unappealing to me anyways.

But who cares I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
Hey, I'm one of those people who never finished White 2, so this thread is my chance to finally see where the plot ends up going. :v: It's weird that there seem to be so many people who stopped playing halfway through, but yeah, I'd say the fact it came out so soon after B/W was a contributing factor.

Anyway, yeah, this will probably be a fun LP!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Onmi posted:

(Why do I still have to wait until the end of the game to get certain pokemon I like? You could have made them available earlier.)

This is unavoidable apart from putting every pokemon in the first few routes some one will be pissed off they had to wait to use a favourite.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rumda posted:

This is unavoidable apart from putting every pokemon in the first few routes some one will be pissed off they had to wait to use a favourite.
Wi-fi trading has made this a lot better than it's been in the past, since you can just get someone to trade you a mon early. Although you'll still suffer from some Pokemon being balanced to being caught super late, with them either being way too strong early on or taking way too long to evolve.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Zorak posted:

Ah, good point. Forgot about that.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I've completely forgotten the plot of BW2, so I'm excited for it to get the LP treatment. I really like this game because of its variety of pokemon and, if you feel like logging in the hours to make it possible, you can level new teams absurdly fast.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 11, 2013

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Saturday Mornings posted:

I've completely forgotten the plot of BW2

Get badges, foil badguy plot, beat champion. You've forgotten it because it was boring.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Huh, I got White version, but never enjoyed it enough to finish the game, and skipped out on BW2 as a result. Hearing you guys all talk about how awesome the post-game is makes me regret that a little now.

I'm loving X and Y though, although I can see where the complaints of not a lot to do after beat the Elite Four/Champion come from.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Oh man, How I loved this game. I have about 600+ Hours clocked on it, all from the postgame really. I have to admit, compared to BW2 X and Y really don't have much of a postgame. It seems I'm spending more time EV training my Pokemon, than really doing anything else, since there isn't that much postgame content.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Wi-fi trading has made this a lot better than it's been in the past, since you can just get someone to trade you a mon early. Although you'll still suffer from some Pokemon being balanced to being caught super late, with them either being way too strong early on or taking way too long to evolve.

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread but traded pokémon actually gain more experience than a trainers original pokémon. If you trade a pokémon locally you get 1.5 time the experience and if it's an international pokémon then you get 1.7 times the experience for each battle. Which would result in the pokémon evolving faster than your other pokémon of the same type.

Although, Axew taking till level 38 to evolve is a bit much.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Blue Ghost posted:

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread but traded pokémon actually gain more experience than a trainers original pokémon. If you trade a pokémon locally you get 1.5 time the experience and if it's an international pokémon then you get 1.7 times the experience for each battle. Which would result in the pokémon evolving faster than your other pokémon of the same type.

Larvesta doesn't do it until 59, and Deino's evolutions are 50 and 64.

I just want to use a fire bug :(

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

You should have known there wouldn't be a gray because nothing in the history of Pokemon has ever flirted with a gray area.

Prism posted:

Larvesta doesn't do it until 59, and Deino's evolutions are 50 and 64.

I just want to use a fire bug :(

You and me both, bruddah. I went bugcatcher in Black and was piiiiiisssed at how long that took.

Hoyota
Oct 3, 2013

Blue Ghost posted:

The faster EXP gain just makes them reach the "You don't have enough badges to train me" bullshit faster.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Eifert Posting posted:

You should have known there wouldn't be a gray because nothing in the history of Pokemon has ever flirted with a gray area.

Well, Black 1/White 1 did, but since he didn't play it, he wouldn't know :smuggo:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd consider a lot the pokédex entries for the ghost pokémon through the various games to be well rooted in the grey area.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My biggest issue, I think, was with the Gyms and how they were handled.
I mean, I appreciate what they were trying to do; Gym Leaders are people who have lives and hobbies outside of their Gyms.
I get that.
But, it kinda took away from the fact that the Gym is supposed to be a building for trainers to go train and for Poke-League business to go down in.

I mean, the 2nd Gym is the basement of a lovely bar/club, and Clay's gym is his strip-mining operation.

I dunno, maybe it's me and I just hate fun, I just wasn't a real fan of the Unova gyms

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

the_steve posted:

My biggest issue, I think, was with the Gyms and how they were handled.
I mean, I appreciate what they were trying to do; Gym Leaders are people who have lives and hobbies outside of their Gyms.
I get that.
But, it kinda took away from the fact that the Gym is supposed to be a building for trainers to go train and for Poke-League business to go down in.

I mean, the 2nd Gym is the basement of a lovely bar/club, and Clay's gym is his strip-mining operation.

I dunno, maybe it's me and I just hate fun, I just wasn't a real fan of the Unova gyms

Hunh, I'm the opposite. I liked the gyms functioning as a secondary facility as well, made them more interesting design-wise; the standardized look with randomized generic puzzles was getting a little dull.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I was rather pleased that the Gym Leaders actually got to do things other than stand in their gym all day doing nothing, it made the game-world feel more alive, especially since they were involved in the plot for once as well.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
I'm working on an update let's just relax on the whole talking about the whole game thing for a lil'. We will definitely get to all of that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can I ask what the normal names were supposed to be for the characters in this game? Vinny, Hugh and the one chick with the cinnamon bun hair swirls.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The boy PC is Nate, the girl PC is Rosa, and Hugh is Hugh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Red Metal posted:

The boy PC is Nate, the girl PC is Rosa, and Hugh is Hugh.

Thanks man. I can't wait to see what the big bad organization is this time. And if they're less of a threat than Team Plasma was.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is purely speculation, but I figure it'll be still Team Plasma, just really disorganized without their leaders. Kinda like Team Rocket in Gold/Silver/Crystal after they lost Giovanni in Gen 1.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Thanks man. I can't wait to see what the big bad organization is this time. And if they're less of a threat than Team Plasma was.

If this story's as bad as everyone keeps saying it is, it's probably gonna involve something stupid like pirate-ninjas.

Scorched Spitz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 12, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What they did with the plot was pretty cool, just fumbled. It's not that the plot is bad, it's more that it's... not there at all. Like, a couple decent ideas pop up, but they never really do anything with them.

Edit Except Hugh. gently caress Hugh.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I gotta say though, I really dislike the male main character design. Look at that stupid hair! Just look at it!
You could find wild Pokemon in there.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked B2W2 more than I did the originals, definitely in part because of it doing something so out of the ordinary for the series. Unless you count GSC as straight sequels to RBY, which you certainly could. It being samey doesn't make sense to me because they all are. Even XY still sport some game design straight out of 1998. I'll take the changes I can get. The plot has always been dumb in these games so it doesn't matter. I hope the inevitable rerelease of XY is more like this and less like previous generations.

I gotta say though, I really dislike the male main character design. Look at that stupid hair! Just look at it!

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 12, 2013

Mr. History
Oct 23, 2012

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

This is purely speculation, but I figure it'll be still Team Plasma, just really disorganized without their leaders. Kinda like Team Rocket in Gold/Silver/Crystal after they lost Giovanni in Gen 1.

spoilaz

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. History posted:

Major Story Spoilers.
Hey now, let's not jump ahead of things, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#02. The Friendly Fire-Haired Man

Bianca, this really isn't necessary.

Bianca. Bianca my mom works at one of these.

Bianca, my mom is literally a nurse you don't have to—

I— Bianca, yes. Please. Explain PCs to me.

"I'm not sure how it works but Pokémon go inside of it and I'm not sure how."

Yeah, ok, sure. Whatever.

Reading into Bianca's statement more. Choosing to not like it more.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

Choro Notes: This occurs after the encounter with N in Chargestone Cave.
Music: Pokémon Black - Unwavering Emotions

and they will be hurt . . . "

made them battle."

is how the world worked?"

and become the hero!"

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

. . . ?

Yeah, funny thing about that. I might have given Snivy to a family on their way to Pennsylvania.

I can run without shoes!

MOM. STOP.

I really wasn't kidding!

Nnghhh . . .

Can I just go on my wonderful journey yet?

—"
SNIVY'S ALREADY GONE, MOM.

"Crap, you should've just said so. Jeez. I nearly poo poo out my drat heart."

Music: Unova Route 19

Alright, show me this so I can just wander off.

"Can't mess this up. Not again. C=<"

" . . . close enough."

Nope! Got it! Beat em up. Throw ball.

Sorta right.

I am not sure I want to meet lots. Especially he— Oop.

Choro Notes: Mawile is a steel-type monster. It also has Intimidate which lowers the opponents attacks one stage upon entering the field. They're little jerks.

Yeah, I don't really want a gopher, soooo . . .

Hahahaha, no.

Yep, gonna stick to my guns.

Music: Pokémon Black - Champion Alder

Ah, th-the former champion? Why the hell are you out here?

Ah, right you're a bit of a nutjob.

Uh, Vinny.

I didn't say that last part!

"In fact, I'm pretty sure I have a book you really need to read."

Sweet loving hell what just happened?

• Locked thread