Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Are we gonna have a new thread for Rebirth's launch? Or just keep this one as a general X thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Snaxx posted:

Unfortunately, that's gone. Or very limited at best.

Source

Damnit - is this really true? I was annoyed enough at the loss of direct capital ship control, but after thinking about it I figured being able to sit back and manage battles from the inside of a capital ship (while watching the action from some kind of interior bridge / observation view) would've still been really awesome. If they've scaled it back even further however, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Although I guess I have to recognize I'm in the minority - I spent huge amounts of time on the bridge of my carrier in X3 (especially once someone modded 3D bridges back in) and I strongly disagree with the developer's statements that capital ship gameplay was "boring". I just loved putting on the Battlestar Galactica battle themes, jumping into a hostile sector, and launching dozens of fighters while watching my turrets shoot everything.

I'm really excited about playing this game... it's just every time I read about it, I keep finding new things I enjoyed about the franchise that they've gotten rid of and it becomes a huge downer :(

Edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

DatonKallandor posted:

Speaking of no bridges, I don't know where the idea comes from that X never had bridges for cap ships. X2 had em.

This baffles me too - in fact, the 3D bridges / cockpits in the X3 mods (at least the ones I used) actually were ported right from X2.

Parias fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 12, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Speaking of no bridges, I don't know where the idea comes from that X never had bridges for cap ships. X2 had em.
Now I'm expecting Rebirth to basically start the series from scratch again. That means the first expansion is going to add more playable ships in the corvette size (same as the player ship). The next part of the series is going to go full on playable Capital Ships with bridges again.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Now I'm expecting Rebirth to basically start the series from scratch again. That means the first expansion is going to add more playable ships in the corvette size (same as the player ship). The next part of the series is going to go full on playable Capital Ships with bridges again.

And the 4th expansion will actually be playable.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
X:BTF and X-Tension were plenty playable. They didn't have the feature creep of the later games but they did what they set out to do incredibly well.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 13, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I figure this game is going to turn out to be like X3: Reunion. We are going to have to wait a long time for patches and updates to come, and be forced to double dip to get the game we were promised in the first place. I really hope X:Rebirth is good, I love this series, but I still have low expectations either way.
That tends to be how Egosoft games have gone so far. They always put a lot of work into them post-launch, but releases tend to be messy. There were some pretty serious scripting-related slowdown bugs in X3, which were present until a year or so Terran Conflict came out. Don't get me wrong, I love the games and have put hundreds of hours into them, but I am not going to start hyping myself up for the release in a couple of days.

Other stuff to play at the moment too, with the XCom expansion out now, and BG2EE out in a couple days. Figure I'll probably wait at least a patch or two to fix the most glaring issues before I really dig in. If there were a shortage of new PC releases right now, things might be different.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Parias posted:

Damnit - is this really true? I was annoyed enough at the loss of direct capital ship control, but after thinking about it I figured being able to sit back and manage battles from the inside of a capital ship (while watching the action from some kind of interior bridge / observation view) would've still been really awesome. If they've scaled it back even further however, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Yeah that's what I would really like too. I mean it makes sense that directly controlling a capital ship would be really boring, but being on the bridge and giving commands would essentially be what I'd expect captaining one of those would be like: You give commands and your crew follows them. So you could have the cool experience of commanding a fleet battle from your flagship personally, and if poo poo goes awry jump in the Skunk and take an even more personal hand in the battle. Hopefully we'll at least still be able to dock with capital ships while out in space and command them from there rather than having to just park the Skunk somewhere nearby and give orders to the fleet.

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Precisely. I definitely won't deny that during slower periods, I would hop in my fighter / transport for more menial tasks - but it also felt cool having a mobile home base to always fly back to so I could dock, go up to the bridge, and order a jump to another location, and sort of having this huge mobile base of operations with it's own logistics system that was customized and managed completely by me. This just made any capital ship battle I engaged in all the more exciting and intense (I won't even get into how much MORE awesome something like this could be if the previous games had supported co-op multiplayer...)

There were a lot of cool perks to the capital ship mechanics in the previous X games and I really hope the developers aren't just waving their hands and assuming nobody liked to play with them at all. The promised sperging on capital ship-specific mechanics is why I've thrown so much money at Star Citizen, for example.

I guess we'll have to see how future content updates go. To be realistic I've already thrown money at my pre-order for this game and intend to play it on day one (horrible bugs and all) - I just had to rant a bit because I hate it when developers get the wrong impression about my favorite things and take them away. I recognize though that the team is working with limited resources for a complete reboot of the game and have promised to listen closely to feedback - I'm willing to give them time and latitude to see how things develop. I've sunk way too much personal time into this franchise to do anything less.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Definitely curious to see how much of the economic game you can play in Rebirth. In X3:TC, I always liked making a boron angel one of my initial goals. It is a TP, so you can do lucrative passenger transport missions. It is also the only TP which could hold XL size cargo, making it reasonable to carry out some of the hauling missions. Expanding the number of missions you can do means more time earning money and less time looking for missions.

I would then take the money I earned, buy ESTs, and go back to my missions. The ESTs helped increase trade rank, along with earning me money, which increased mission payout. It pretty much snowballs until your transport missions are paying millions. I would then move on to making complexes, and more money, until I had an industrial empire.

I think I might have some sort of space-spreadsheet illness.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 13, 2013

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Dreadwroth posted:

The ship's still named the "Skunk", and it has a furry on it. Bloody Egosoft.
Any word on if we can rename/reart it?

Furries can be incredibly intrusive with as many places as they try pushing their fetish, but this is loving stupid. The name and design Egosoft is using fits right in with the fighter and bomber nose art that's been prevalent since after the first World War.

Of course, aircraft art also swings the other way.

:nws: Tondelayo :nws:

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The King of Swag posted:

Furries can be incredibly intrusive with as many places as they try pushing their fetish, but this is loving stupid. The name and design Egosoft is using fits right in with the fighter and bomber nose art that's been prevalent since after the first World War.

Of course, aircraft art also swings the other way.

:nws: Tondelayo :nws:

The difference is that none of those anthropomorphic animals seems to be sexualized, meanwhile in Rebirth

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, okay, that is pretty bad. It looks like something a modder would do. Hopefully a modder will take it out.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Speaking of noseart, this is still my favorite B24 and also what I always tend to name my first M8 bomber.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Davos posted:

The difference is that none of those anthropomorphic animals seems to be sexualized, meanwhile in Rebirth

Just what we need, a Furry alien race.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Davos posted:

I'll give you that; I've never seen the nose-art up-close, just from the screenshots of the ship as it's flying. From what I had seen and the way it was initially described, I pictured something more along the lines of the Lockheed Skunk Works skunk or Pepé Le Pew.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The King of Swag posted:

I'll give you that; I've never seen the nose-art up-close, just from the screenshots of the ship as it's flying. From what I had seen and the way it was initially described, I pictured something more along the lines of the Lockheed Skunk Works skunk or Pepé Le Pew.

Pepé Le Pew would be awesome.

I hope someone mods him in.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Davos posted:

holy poo poo jesus gently caress all.

well, at least I won't have to look at it.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
As long as there's some alternative art you can put on your ship or if someone mods it out I'll be fine. Being forced to have that on your main ship all game would be rather...uncomfortable.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
X3: Rebirth - Supporting the Furry Agenda

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Davos posted:

As long as there's some alternative art you can put on your ship or if someone mods it out I'll be fine. Being forced to have that on your main ship all game would be rather...uncomfortable.

I recall X2 actually had built-in support to put your own custom logo on your fleet - the feature shipped with the game. It then mysteriously disappeared with future iterations. I wonder whatever happened to it?

And can someone explain why the word "multiplayer" is like a pox to this game's community? I'm engaged in a thread on the official forums (first mistake, I know) regarding this, and any hint of multiplayer causes the fans to come out of the woodwork shrieking that it would ruin their precious gameplay experience and would be technically impossible to do.

I get the argument that the developers only have the time to really focus on singleplayer right now, but any counter-argument I make that the gameplay doesn't have to significantly change at all (just let me have the exact same sandbox gameplay I already have, but with a friend's ship flying around damnit) and would be technically possible (make it "recommended" for LAN only if bandwidth is that big of a concern... and there are a number of other multiplayer-supporting games out there that are probably just as complicated from a network standpoint anyways) just get ignored and followed up with more complaints that it would never work and would ruin the game.

What did the idea of multiplayer ever do to this community to make them hate it so badly?

Parias fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 13, 2013

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Parias posted:

What did the idea of multiplayer ever do to this community to make them hate it so badly?

Well, X3 would be awful with multiplayer, because the game is awful without SETA.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Parias posted:

They tried to do it in 2000 and it never worked out for unspecified reasons. Its not technically impossible, they just couldn't do it. You can still see the old website http://www.online-universe.net/44index.htm

An online X game would be awesome, but none of the X games so far are in anyway balanced for multiplayer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Floating around in a big fuckoff carrier launching wings of fighters at my enemies was a lot of fun. I'm sure the new game will be good fun, too though.

At the moment I'm more miffed about the sex skunk.

e: EVE Online is the MMO X you're looking for. I like having the game be unbalanced, moddable, etc. with the single player. Plus SETA.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

b0lt posted:

Well, X3 would be awful with multiplayer, because the game is awful without SETA.

I'm pretty sure that rebirth will not have SETA. It's funny I remember hating it the first time I played X2, now I am sad to hear it is gone. In truth it really was just an ugly hack.

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

b0lt posted:

Aha, now that's a good point - I can see how that would need some consideration. But it sounds like that wouldn't be an issue with Rebirth.

Moridin920 posted:

e: EVE Online is the MMO X you're looking for. I like having the game be unbalanced, moddable, etc. with the single player. Plus SETA.

Heh, I've played EVE. I want something that's more of a sim though, where I'm directly flying around in the first person. Basically.... Star Citizen, except that's not out yet.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

They tried to do it in 2000 and it never worked out for unspecified reasons. Its not technically impossible, they just couldn't do it. You can still see the old website http://www.online-universe.net/44index.htm

An online X game would be awesome, but none of the X games so far are in anyway balanced for multiplayer.

Interesting, thanks for the link.

I'm referring to just having some kind of basic co-op multiplayer though, not some kind of crazy instanced deathmatch gameplay. I wouldn't think major balance changes would be needed for that.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
I think the thing about multiplayer now is also that a lot of other space games, such as Star Citizen, put such a big emphasis on it and so X kind of stands as this series that should also strive to be the beacon of hope for single player space simulation

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
I am 99% sure Rebirth won't have SETA, because I think the highway system is designed to replace that in a much more sensible fashion, while at the same time going a long way towards solving the crashes due to shoddy AI pathing while SETA'd. I don't think we'll miss SETA except for its fast-forward-multiple-days-overnight feature, but with the removal of money printing machines that should be a moot point.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Am I reading this correctly? 2 ships, 2 fighters, many bombing runs - and a tractor?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nektu posted:

Am I reading this correctly? 2 ships, 2 fighters, many bombing runs - and a tractor?

Yes. No I don't know how they got a tractor.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Orv posted:

Yes. No I don't know how they got a tractor.

Probably in a field operation :v:

Anyway, I know the launch will probably be terrible mess, but I can't help myself. New X game! :supaburn:

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Are we gonna have a new thread for Rebirth's launch? Or just keep this one as a general X thread?

Was thinking this as well seeing as the game is out Friday.

It almost seems like there's a loving vacuum of information on the game so a really great OP may be difficult.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I plan on waiting to buy the game for a few months until the modders have their way.

I think doing the same for a new thread might be a good idea.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There should be a new thread if only for the excuse of having SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE as a thread title.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

Davos posted:

Oh man, that's unfortunate. This has to be a joke.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

standardtoaster posted:

Oh man, that's unfortunate. This has to be a joke.

It's not.

:negative:

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Swapping a decal image is simple as poo poo and I bet within 5 mins of launch someone will have posted directions on how you can replace it with a different image or none at all.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Davos posted:

X Rebirth: 36 types of skunk fursuit

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
So I am just now discovering X3 due to this thread. What kind of Steam sale should I keep my eye out for (if any) if I have not yet purchased any of the series?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

lunatikfringe posted:

So I am just now discovering X3 due to this thread. What kind of Steam sale should I keep my eye out for (if any) if I have not yet purchased any of the series?

Albion Prelude, as it contains the best content, updates and gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

lunatikfringe posted:

The steam winter sale around christmas time would be the best time to look out for it. As well as Albion Prelude you'll also need to pick up Terran Conflict to be able to play it, there's a pack with both of them that will be on sale at some point.

• Locked thread