Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Livingtrope posted:

Hello, I am in need of anime that is set in space for various reasons, can someone please help?
Planetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This is probably one of the only suggestions you're going to get where the main characters actually spend a fair amount of time floating around in space rather than being inside a spaceship, also it is loving fantastic. Everyone should watch it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Livingtrope posted:

Hello, I am in need of anime that is set in space for various reasons, can someone please help?

Aside from the above-mentioned Planetes there is also a personal favourite of mine, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space. Though that's way past sci-fi into straight space opera.

Also most of the Gundam series are, at least in part, set in space.

e: also, and I can't believe I forgot this, Bodacious Space Pirates.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 3, 2013

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

ADTRW > Recommending Anime Thread Mark II - Seriously, Legend of Galactic Heroes :v:

But really, is there anything you're looking for more specific than 'space' because we could be here all day.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Well,

RabidWeasel posted:

This is probably one of the only suggestions you're going to get where the main characters actually spend a fair amount of time floating around in space rather than being inside a spaceship, also it is loving fantastic. Everyone should watch it.

this is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Anime people floating around in space, doing space stuff. I'll check it out, not that I'm not open to more like it.

e: Oh and legend of galactic heroes is daunting, to say the least.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
If I recall correctly a bunch of the gundams take place in space, someone else will have to recommend the good series. As I thought it wasn't too great.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Livingtrope posted:

People always say this, but in truth you should just watch it because otherwise you'll only end up watching several inferior series in the time it would have taken to finish LotGH.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

People always say this, but in truth you should just watch it because otherwise you'll only end up watching several inferior series in the time it would have taken to finish LotGH.

You know, posters here act like LotGH is this big commitment and that is doing it a disservice. One of the cool things about LotGH is that it begins with a very tight and self contained movie that that covers everything that makes the main series great. It's called My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and you can get it here. And you don't need to watch everything in one big chunk, because it's not a difficult show to drop and pick up again.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Livingtrope posted:

Stop posting. Watch it.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
Just wanna throw a quick recommendation out there for you sport anime fans. I was browsing and found Kuroko No Basket and having watched the first 5 episodes today I'm loving it. Opening song here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwAkthbKMc

oh, and the new hajime no ippo - rising is also fun and captures a lot of the original series' humor and pace. Opening song here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8PQr5PDPq4

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ippo Rising has been amazing so far. So much better than the second series. Like you said much like the first season, much more appropriate music (very similar to the first season). Current fight is one of the funniest thing I've seen.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Any good philosophical/brain food/mental masturbation anime like GITS or FLCL made in the past 2-3 years? Tried looking in the wiki but it did not have this category.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ShadowMoo posted:

Any good philosophical/brain food/mental masturbation anime like GITS or FLCL made in the past 2-3 years? Tried looking in the wiki but it did not have this category.

I like Hyoka. It's low-key and not flashy or anything, but the animation is great, and while the mysteries are all intensely low-key mysteries, they're all really clever.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ShadowMoo posted:

I'd try Penguindrum, Madoka Magica, and Psycho-Pass.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ShadowMoo posted:

Look up anything by Masaaki Yuasa. He should scratch that itch.

Tatami Galaxy is probably his best work but Mind Game is also cool if you want something shorter (it's a film instead of a tv series).

Heck have a scene from Mind Game, it is neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW6qZIAi9go

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Watched Mind Game before and loved it. Right now im watching Kill la Kill and Kyousougiga. Kyousougiga is like watching some LSD feverdream. Loving the hell out of both.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ShadowMoo posted:

not sure what you're quite looking for as you've mentioned Kill la Kill and Kyousougiga (which I haven't watched) but have you tried the Monogatari series? Bake, Nise, and the current run of Monogatari: Second Season sounds like it might be up your alley. Warning though, you have to have a tolerance for a bit of creepyness here and there from the main character, especially in Nise.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Eden of the East, if you haven't seen it. I'd also second Psycho-Pass.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Warning though, you have to have a tolerance for a bit of creepyness here and there from the main character, especially in Nise.

This is an understatement, and the creep factor is far more than just a problem with the main character. The show is unapologetic about being a harem anime for the sophisticated pedophile. There is a reason that it isn't as nearly popular here as the studio's other hit (Madoka, the super popular mind gently caress show of the moment) despite the fact that there is a lot to like about it.

In any case, it's impossible to tell if you are going to like Monogatari until you watch it, and not just for the pedo stuff. The entirety of the show is rambling conversations between weird characters with supernatural afflictions, and it's all uniquely directed and animated. It's basically its own genre and as many people hate it as love it, but it can be addictive once handled. Maybe check it out sometime?

devtesla fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 13, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nipponophile posted:

Eden of the East, if you haven't seen it.

I'd second Eden of the East. It's a very solid show, and has a pretty nice dub if you're into that kind of thing. The entire thing is even up on Netflix, movies and all!

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Seen Eden of the East and the movies good anime.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Another topic I am into is mindfuck anime, any good ones? Last good mindfuck anime i've seen are Lain and FLCL.

Should list off the ones I've seen.
Lain
Paranoia Agent
FLCL
Neon genesis (I don't get why people like this, it's so loving angsty)
Paprika

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 13, 2013

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ShadowMoo posted:

Neon genesis (I don't get why people like this, it's so loving angsty)

And alot of people liked it at a very angsty period of their lives. Plus it was a somewhat fresh take on the giant robot genre at the time. Just bear in mind that the whole show is basically the head writer coping with his crippling depression, hence the ending.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

Not even close to 2-3 years, but Kino's Journey if you haven't seen it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Most of these are from the last decade, but if you want philosophic/mind games shows, these are some of the best.

Texhnolyze
Casshern Sins
Monster
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji (lotsa mind games)
Death Note (batshit insane mind games)
Time of EVE (seriously, he mentions GITS and no one mentions this?)
Baccano! (not inherently mind games, but the achronological progression does mess with your head.)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

Time of EVE (seriously, he mentions GITS and no one mentions this?)
I'd say it's more 'thought provoking' than mind gamey. I agree that it explores similar themes to GITS and that everyone should watch it, though.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Code Geass comes to mind too, though it's more like a more satisfying Death Note than GITS or something of that sort.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ShadowMoo posted:

Another topic I am into is mindfuck anime

It's a manga instead of an anime but... you know what screw it I'm just going to quote myself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That one reminds me:

Steins;Gate
Higurashi no Nako Koro Ni

Both are actually adaptations of fantastic VNs that are worth reading on their own merits, if you're into that. If you don't mind VNs and you liked Higurashi, go read Umineko, which is a sort of sequel that takes all of Higurashi and throws it upside down, but do not watch the anime.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ActionZero posted:

It's a manga instead of an anime but... you know what screw it I'm just going to quote myself.

You're doin' the Lords work here, Zero. I'd second the hell out of Qualia the Purple, if you don't mind a manga. It'll gently caress your mind so good, you'll need a cigarette when you're done.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You're doin' the Lords work here, Zero. I'd second the hell out of Qualia the Purple, if you don't mind a manga. It'll gently caress your mind so good, you'll need a cigarette when you're done.

Just so you know the continued release of that is on hiatus until the last manga volume gets released and has good raws available. Might be better to wait until it's done.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is Witch Hunter Robin any good?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Witch hunter robin kinda just exists for me. It's inoffensive, but I wouldn't call it good. Think it's been almost 10 years since I've seen it though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Chas McGill posted:

My recollection is that it was decent, but not anything special.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Chas McGill posted:

I've seen it...twice, 3 times maybe? Here's my answer.

Not really. It does a monster of the week thing for a bit before it goes full gear into story which I've seen people online complain about. It's kind of interesting with some good ideas behind it, and I think that anime from its era had a bit of a look to it that is lacking from anime today, but at the end of the day it didn't do anything special. I like it for what it is, and I bought it for around 20$ so can't go wrong there.

At worst, I'd say watch a couple of episodes and see if you're interested. If anything, if your ever bored and are desperate for something to watch give it a shot, you can do much much worse than Witch Hunter Robin.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks. I found the premise pretty interesting and I like the look of the art style, so I'll give it a shot. It's not like I have a big list of stuff to watch - at the moment I'm only watching Galilei Donna and Samurai Flamenco.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I remember watching it on Adult Swim back in the day but I barely remember any of it. I guess that means it was inoffensively average.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So I had watched Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto and thought they were alright, anything else like that?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Thunderfinger posted:

So I had watched Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto and thought they were alright, anything else like that?

Anime-wise? Not really, there is "Maria Watches Over Us" (Maria-sama ga Miteru) which has 4 seasons and is a pretty good show, but the relationships don't ever actually go anywhere because the whole show is very much about just about crushing on other girls and never ever actually doing anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Strawberry Panic is like Maria-sama only written by someone with all the subtlety of a daytime soap opera. It's not good by any means but I still enjoyed it because I like that sort of thing.

• Locked thread