Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Oh man, Taral V was the start of the flashpoints I never got to when I played. I've been waiting for this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MadDogMike posted:

Given enemies in this game seem incapable of saying anything more than incoherent yelling upon entering combat, I doubt walkie-talkies would help much ("Are you actually under attack or did you just stub your toe?... OK, one RAAAAAGH for under attack, two RAAAAAGH for toe stubbing?...").

That's because the soldiers on both sides are hopped up on mind-altering pain-killing euphoria drugs and stimulants. It's a wonder they even remember how to pull the trigger on their blasters.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So does this flashpoint send you into space or is it just to get the computer, and dealing with the Jedi ghost's message is an entirely separate one?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Glazius posted:

So does this flashpoint send you into space or is it just to get the computer, and dealing with the Jedi ghost's message is an entirely separate one?

At the moment we're just going to get the computer. Of course, the whole reason Oteg wants the computer is so his fleet can find this prison, but we'll get to that in part 2.

Also I figure the walkie-talkie thing is why the guards are clearly ready for you by the time you attack the bridge and the main base, but without their communications station they can't call for help from distant bases or from the ships in orbit - at least, not fast enough to stop Our Heroes.

The bigger mystery is why the Republic dedicates so many resources based on the vague, prophetic words of a ghost. Review how little we actually learned about our objective from the briefing, and consider that a Jedi Master/Fleet Admiral though that was enough to base a military campaign on. I guess it's a sign of how much authority the Jedi have in the Republic, and if the Sith had a shred of cunning between them they'd be impersonating ghosts and messing with prophecies to send Jedi on fool's errands.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If the Sith had any sense they'd have petitioned the Republic for membership after revealing that their species still exists; and then broken it from within (it wouldn't even have been difficult).

VVV It just would've taken time, and a Big Lie.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 10, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Wouldn't have helped. The Republic would never have bought it; nor would the Jedi. The Hyperspace Wars aren't something easily brushed over. Besides which the Sith traditions of 'Hate Jedi/Kill Jedi' are too strong.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Sweet! Master Oteg is voiced by Jim Cummings, whom some of you might know better as the voice of Winnie-The-Pooh and Tigger, or maybe just Minsc! :3:
Basically he voices everything ever, and he's great. You can even hear his voice at the Epcot fireworks show in Disney World.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So are we free to talk about the identity of the ghost in question, or wait until this linked series of flashpoints is done?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cythereal posted:

So are we free to talk about the identity of the ghost in question, or wait until this linked series of flashpoints is done?

Let's keep it under wraps for now. It'll make the discussion once the flashpoints are finished a little more interesting to have the complete story.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the Sith had any sense they'd have petitioned the Republic for membership after revealing that their species still exists; and then broken it from within (it wouldn't even have been difficult).

The Sith basically did that in the end with Palpetine, so yeah, that was clearly the way to do go.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bloodly posted:

The Republic would never have bought it

I'm not seeing much evidence of that from TOR.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

MadDogMike posted:

Given enemies in this game seem incapable of saying anything more than incoherent yelling upon entering combat, I doubt walkie-talkies would help much ("Are you actually under attack or did you just stub your toe?... OK, one RAAAAAGH for under attack, two RAAAAAGH for toe stubbing?...").

What if they stubbed their toe while under attack, huh?

What then?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Gnome de plume posted:

What if they stubbed their toe while under attack, huh?

What then?

Three RAAAAAGH, obviously.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Hey Inferior, is that Calo Nord's jacket? I am not envious in the least. No siree.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

"Force Ghost" posted:

The Scarred Man's hatred burns everything.

...Is that?..

...Could it be?..

:swoon:

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Fanzay posted:

Hey Inferior, is that Calo Nord's jacket? I am not envious in the least. No siree.
Yeah, it's Calo's jacket. I really like some of the callback gear Bioware have introduced- Todessa's Sith armor is another good one.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Fanzay posted:

Ah drat I knew I've seen that outfit somewhere. Now it's not bothering me anymore!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

SageNytell posted:

Sweet! Master Oteg is voiced by Jim Cummings, whom some of you might know better as the voice of Winnie-The-Pooh and Tigger, or maybe just Minsc! :3:
Basically he voices everything ever, and he's great. You can even hear his voice at the Epcot fireworks show in Disney World.

Jim Cummings also voices a major character in the most recent WoW expansion, Lorewalker Cho.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Flashpoint – Taral V, Part 2

: Knock, knock.

: You have a debt to settle. It will be paid in blood.

: Anyone hear-- No. Doesn't matter.

: Who the hell are you!?

: We're the Board of Medical Ethics, pal. And we're very angry with you.

: You cannot stop me! My shield is invulnerable to any amount of laserfire!

: Hey look, I can stick my gun right through.

: ... OK, so there are a few teething probl-

: Welp, grab his stash and let's get out of here.

: Making you a little homesick, Todessa?

: Just sick. I recognize the security protocols. We’re going to need to slice the consoles around the courtyard to get past the inner defences. Come on, blueberry, you’re with me.

: Can you see them?

: Nah, but they can’t be far.

: We should rendezvous as soon as we’re done. I don’t like the idea of splitting up in here.

: It’s faster slicing all these security consoles this way. Besides, I think I can hear them coming now.

: Goddamnit!

: What are we running from?

: Lightsabers!

: I have one of those too, you know!

: They’ve got four!

: ...Okay yeah, maybe keep running until we find Todessa and-

: Quinine!

: Where the hell did these guys come from?

: Say hello to the ground for us!

: If only I had a jetpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

: Now those guys have been dealt with, we can-

: Good and evil will both die in flames.

: Okay... I just heard Master Oteg's spooky friend talking about death. Again.

: Man, and here I thought I was just going crazy from stress. Again.

: Yeah, I've been hearing her too. Having one spirit advisor is bad enough.

: I haven't heard any ghosts. I don't think I want to hear any ghosts. Let's keep moving.

: Woah, hold up, what’s going on here?

: Found the medical bay. Looks like we’ve got some wounded Imperial soldiers.

: Means they shouldn’t put up too much of a fight!

: R’andayn!

: What happened to all that “the only good Imperial is a dead Imperial, rah rah” stuff?

: If they can’t fight, they’re not worth our time. Come on.

: Aww, You guys are no fun.

: I feel a disturbance in the Force nearby. R'andayn, can you sense anything?

: :supaburn:

: Oh, right.

Lord Hasper is the bonus boss of the Flashpoint, and pretty lethal if you don't know what you're doing. He has a set pattern- three Force Lightnings, then a Vortex to draw everyone close to him, then a Force Storm which does incredible AoE damage centred on Haspar himself.

: nnnNGEAHHHHHHhhooh thank the Force.

: Where’d he get you?

: Just the thigh. Another inch or two up and he might’ve done real damage!

: …

: Teach you to try stabbing me in the junk.

: Command bunker's behind the big droid over there.

: You were actually paying attention in the briefing?

: Nah. I just figured there’s no way they'd put a robot that big in front of anything but the guys in charge.

: Let's head inside.

Recommended for silky-smooth murder-voice's return
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIADoGCNC8

: You’ve all made quite the impression on the galaxy since our last meeting. Congratulations. Sadly your victories end here. My fleet is about to bombard your position from orbit.

: Who the hell are you, and why should we care about your pathetic threats?

: Grand Moff Rycus Kilran. We sparred during the Esseles incident. I was hunting the Twi’lek ambassador, Vyn Asara. You interfered.

: Who are you again?

: The Butcher of Coruscant, the Terror of the Republic, The Victor of the Togathan Uprising.

: Never heard of you.

: :geno: It’s been a pleasure catching up… but you won’t escape this time.

: Well, looks like we've been buried alive. Hope someone bought a deck of cards.

: Kilran's bombing his own base to kill us?! Isn't he supposed to be the Empire's best strategist?

: Standard Imperial tactics- if in doubt, shoot your own guys first.

: It’s Oteg. Do you read me? I monitored that transmission. My fleet is moving to intercept the bombardment. I’ll do my best to keep the Grand Moff busy, but you need to go hurry. Find the Gree computer and get out of there!

:”The sentry ships aren’t prepared for a ground invasion. They shouldn’t be a factor.” Idiot.

: It’s like an evil lava lamp.

: Looks like R’andayn.

: No it doesn’t!

: Don't be space racist, Todessa.

: Kilran's going to bring the whole place down on top of us if we don't move faster.

: Wait.

: Hold the line! For the Emperor!

: Edikar...

: Get out of our way, idiot.

: Doesn't matter... Kilran's bringing the walls down...

: This is the command room, but I don't see any Gree technology.

: Maybe upstairs?

Recommended for a minor snag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb3Zawl_r4g

: This facility is on a mission of peace. We’re charting the Maelstrom Nebula for the good of all.

: You have warships in orbit and battalions on the surface. If this is your version of a peace mission… you’re doing it wrong.

: :iceburn:

: When the rest of the galaxy hears of this unprovoked assault, the Republic’s evil will finally be exposed. Your names will become synonymous with your government’s extermination campaign against us.

: Did I miss us falling into the mirror universe somewhere?

: It’s a massive expanse of cosmic dust and highly charged energy particles. Ship’s sensors are useless beyond a few kilometers.

: Without precise and timely coordinates from the Gree computer, thousands of good people - innocent scientists - will be trapped there forever.

: Why are we still listening to him? Let’s grab the computer and get out of here before the roof caves in on us.

: No. We can't let innocents die.

: Innocent Imperial scientists? Bwahahahaha! Seriously? These guys would strangle their grandmas if they thought it could help them build a better death ray.

: We could do a lot of good by leaving them in the Maelstrom.

: Figures you two would be in favour of the murder option... Quinine?

: ... I... I don’t know. They have a point.

: Quinine… No. The Republic doesn't leave civilians to die.

: But our research! All that dangerous exploration will have been for nothing without a complete map… Transmitting the coordinates now. The computer is yours. I hope it breaks the first time you use it.

: Okay, where’s the Gree computer?

: There, on the pedestal.

: What, behind the little orange thing?

: It is the little orange thing!

: What, this? It looks like a kids toy!

: It took a lot of killing to get that toy, so don’t drop it!

: ...come in, repeat, come in! My fleet’s taking heavy losses and the fortress defenses are crumbling. There’s no more time!

: Our cue to leave.

: Race you to the shuttles! Last one there’s a rotten corpse buried under a mountain of rubble!

SWTOR Codex posted:

Gree Computer
The Gree are one of the galaxy’s oldest civilizations, and their initial expansion in ancient times–before they encountered the aggressive and militarily superior Infinite Empire–was aided by their remarkable technology, including sophisticated navigational computers. These computers, operating on principles that are still a mystery to modern technologists, allowed Gree starships to safely traverse turbulent areas of space, including vast asteroid fields and the Maelstrom Nebula. The Republic SIS believes the Gree computer used by the Empire was recovered from an ancient derelict starship and studied on Dromund Kaas. When its potential was realized, the Empire authorized the Gree computer’s release to allow the construction of the Maelstrom Prison. It is likely the computer’s interface has undergone some modifications: devices designed for the six-limbed cephalopodan Gree are rarely convenient for humanoids.
One flight to safety later…

: That was one hell of an op.

: Psh, we didn’t even get to kill the Grand Moff. I hardly broke a sweat.

: I’d be careful about bragging too loudly while we’re on the Telos. The fleet looked like it picked up a few scars.

: Quinine? You were awfully quiet on the flight back. Is there something you want to talk about?

: Eh, later. Let’s see Oteg first.

: But there’s no time to mourn the dead. We must strike the Empire’s prison before the enemy bolsters its defense.

: Down on Taral Five, your Jedi friend sent us warnings. We couldn’t see her, but it was definitely her voice.

: Extraordinary. Your team has a powerful ally. The Force is with you.

: When we arrive, I need my best people leading the raid. You’re the Jedi prisoner’s only hope of escaping alive.

: It would be helpful to know who I’m rescuing.

: I asked my source the same thing. She said revealing too much could jeopardize his rescue. You’ll know everything before I do.

: Well, that inspires a lot of confidence.

: Trust in the Force, Todessa. It won’t turn us wrong.

: Blind obedience isn’t my thing, thanks. I like to know why I’m fighting.

: The crews of the Serroco and the Dantooine might’ve agreed with you, too.

: Now, the fleet needs to be repaired and our route calculated. This will take time.

: So what, do we hang around here until you're finished? Some of us have Empires to topple.

: Oh no, feel free to go about your business. I will signal you when we are ready to launch the attack.

: Great. I'd hate to miss the suicide mission.

And so...

: Got a minute?

: Thanks for the help back on Taral Five.

: With the thigh-wound? That didn’t seem so bad.

: No, with the computer, and those Imperial scientists. After the things I’ve seen the Empire do, sometimes I can lose track of what’s right. You made the right call.

: ...Don’t worry about it. What are friends for?

: Yeah. While we’re at it, sorry about all that “sweetheart” stuff before. I know Jedi don’t -

: Come on, I hear worse flirting on a daily basis. Seriously, I travel with a guy who has a holographic girlfriend.

: Heh, well, when you put it like that alright then. We good?

: Of course.

: ...Holographic girlfriend?

: I’m not introducing you.

: Found ‘em!

: So that’s where you two got to.

: I owe Todessa :10bux: now. I said a broom closet.

: Get your mind out of the gutter, young lady! Why, I’ve half a mind to wash your mouth out with soap for such a scandalous suggestion.

: :rolleyes:

: How’d she do that?

: So, what’ve you guys got after this?

: Balmorra.

: Same.

: Seems that’s the place to be these days. Funny how these things happen.

: You think the SIS will have another assignment for us before Oteg finishes decoding the prison coordinates?

: I’m sure something will bring us together again before long.

: Looking forward to it.

To be concluded... eventually.

: Pssst, Jolune, you couldn’t put in a good word for me with the council about getting that promotion, could you? C’mon, I’d be the best Master ever!

[What, you thought we’d forget the most important thing?]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGnjhwyIZ6o

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 12, 2013

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
God I love the flashpoints in these threads. Fleshes out the story so much to have actual characters running around.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pretty brave scientist fella.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Did... did Jolune Jedi mind trick Quinine back there? Is that actually what happened or am I misreading the bold text there? :stare:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SWMadness posted:

Did... did Jolune Jedi mind trick Quinine back there? Is that actually what happened or am I misreading the bold text there? :stare:

No, she's just being emotive.

Uh... at least, I think that's all it was. :tinfoil:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'd say not a mind trick per se, more of a mind gentle nudge in the direction he would've leant anyway.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that the science computer is actually in use by scientists.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #064
Stardate: Quick breather

Hell of a thing I just got back from. Problem is, the SIS made me sign all these release forms and documents on my way back so I can't even talk about it to myself. For all I know, they're monitoring these logs right now.

code:
Yup.
So, let me just say that bumping into those girls on the Esseles a while back has made my life a whole lot more interesting.

Okay, enough about that. Let's stick to stories people might actually believe – last time I checked in, I'd just left Port Nowhere. It took us a while to random-walk clear of the tails the Voidwolf put on is, so in the meantime I took the chance to check up on Darmas, and check in with the crew.

quote:

Darmas Pollaran: And I'm glad you did the same, Captain.

Darmas Pollaran: I'll stay and make sure Port Nowhere doesn't land in any more of Rogun's or the Voidwolf's little parties.

Darmas Pollaran: You can think of her as a “safe harbor”.

Quinine: Take care of yourself.

Don't know what I'd do without Darmas. Not that I trust him completely or anything, but he's bet heavily on me and he's letting it ride. So long as he's on Port Nowhere, that's my new bolt-hole.

quote:

Darmas Pollaran: Just get yourself to Balmorra, and wait for our call.

Darmas Pollaran: And don't think this is all about saving the Republic, either.

Darmas Pollaran: There's a fortune to be made in this war. An enterprising individual could end up with a criminal empire to rival Rogun.

This old uniform's not for show. Okay, the blaster is (long story), but the rest of it's real.

quote:

Darmas Pollaran: No reason you can't do both.

Darmas Pollaran: There's a power vacuum in the underworld with the big names gone – Nok Drayen, the Hatchet, Ivory... but I have a feeling you'll be up there one day.

See, this is where me and Darmas part ways. I don't want to be the next Rogun, or Nok. I know how those stories end (or will, in Rogun's case). Being a Republic hero and getting paid to do it, though? There's always a future in that.

Speaking of, with all this privateer business Corso got a bit confused about just what our job is these days. Fair enough, things've moved pretty fast since we finally brought down Skavak. I tried to set things straight.

quote:

Corso: Before Dodonna, you had no ties to the Republic – there's got to be places you could make credits without taking Imperial fire.

Corso: So why do we keep heading straight into the war zones?

It's true, when I got my discharge those years back, I was free and clear of the Republic – I figured for good. Even with all the odd jobs I was running, I've been my own man. Much as I want to get away, though, I can't leave her in her hour of need. Which is every hour nowadays, seems to me. Good thing this uniform's comfy.

quote:

Corso: Republic's far from perfect, but at least they're trying.

Corso: When I came home from the brigade with Torchy, my old man told me something that's always stuck with me.

Corso: “Minute you fire a weapon, someone's getting hurt. It's your responsibility to make sure the good you do with it outweighs that harm.”

Quinine: Your father sounds like a good man.

quote:

Corso: Before Skavak took Torchy, I made sure she only fired on separatists. Figured every one I took down was one less family murdered.

Corso: Sergeant Boom-Boom, I like to use against the Empire. Buy a Republic world another day of peace.

A bit too black and white, but it'll do. I'm glad Corso enjoys his work, at least. In case you were wondering where Torchy's gone to, Corso tells me he's boxed her up under his bunk. Seems she's too precious a memento now to risk in a live fire situation.

After that I figured it was about time I check up on Bowdaar. I've been worrying about him since Skavak's dirty gas trick, but all it's seemed to hurt is his pride. The next chance he gets to carve somebody up with his vibrosword will set things right. As it turned out, he had the usual issue on his mind.

quote:

Bowdaar: Sometimes I forget. I think I am a slave.

Bowdaar: Then it is like the sun rising.

Okay, not my snappiest line, but drat if the mood couldn't use a little lightening.

quote:

Bowdaar: Slavery is the worst kind of suffering.

Bowdaar: You can die nobly and be happy. Slavery destroys all that is good.

I don't expect a century of slavery's easy to get over, but I'm just not equipped for these chats with Bowdaar. It's easy to run from planet to planet, shooting bad guys and freeing the oppressed – but dealing with the consequences? Not my style.

I should come up with some reason to make a run to Kashyyyk one of these days. Maybe it'd help the big guy make peace with his past. I just need to find something Wookies might actually want to trade. Well, besides a pile of Trandoshan corpses, I guess.

But anyway. Risha'd had enough time to touch up her hair after our escape from Port Nowhere, so it was time to see how she'd fared since the shootout.

I was, a little. Don't tell her I said that.

quote:

Risha: My father taught me to shoot when I was four years old.

Quinine: He robbed me of my big chance. Teaching a girl to shoot can be romantic, if you do it right.

Risha: And very messy if you don't. Maybe he spared you a visit to the med-center.

I'd tell you the trick to the romantic shooting lesson, but a magician never reveals its secrets. Here's a hint, though: it's like teaching pool, but with a worse risk of backfiring.

quote:

Risha: Father wanted me self-sufficient as early as possible. Said I'd need it to survive. He was right.

Risha: I still remember the day he told me he was “going to sleep” for a while. Said I was on my own.

Quinine: Nok was in that carbonite for a decade. Weren't you still counting birthdays on one hand?

Not pictured – the split second where I started panicking while doing the math on how old Risha is now.

Eleven plus ten... phew, close one.

quote:

Risha: Talk about your one-bantha planets. For a few years, Dantooine's population was doubled thanks to me and father frozen in carbonite.

Quinine: You talk a lot about Nok, but you never mentioned your mother.

Risha: She died when I was young. I don't remember her.

That makes sense. We're lucky she turned out as well as she did without someone in her life to balance out Nok's influence.

quote:

Risha: Looking back, I should've been miserable. But it was just a big adventure.

I think we can pretty much close the book on the whole Nok Drayen story now. I've heard all there is to hear, met the man in person and still have half his priceless relics rattling around my hold. Telling the story looks to have done Risha some good, too. After a lifetime of keeping such a big secret, it has to feel good to get it off your chest. Maybe Risha can get to work on her own story now and get out from under her dad's shadow.

It was about that point I got the call from SIS and took my little detour. That was just a day or two off my schedule, though – we're coming up on Balmorra now. Let's see what Darmas and Senator Dodonna have for us.

##End Log##

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. Does Quinine get, like, a merchant companion, or does Risha fill the role of broker well enough for that?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Balmorra Episode 1: Eh, what's up doc?

Begin Recording

Aboard the RSS Galt in orbit around Balmorra

: Ah! Master Braga told me you were coming. Warren Sedoru--a pleasure. I'm grateful for your assistance. The situation is growing desperate. The Republic picked an unfortunate time to drive the Empire off Balmorra. It's made our team's mission that much harder.

: The Republic military always makes extra work for the Jedi.

: Liberating the planet is a worthy cause. It's people have suffered greatly under imperial rule. Balmorra is home to the largest weapon manufacturing plants in the galaxy. Half the munitions' used in the last war originated on this world. The Empire develops horrific new instruments of destruction here. Balmorra's creations have killed countless innocents.

: If the Republic has come to repay those deaths, good.

: I lost my taste for war decades ago. I'm only here to secure our teams objective. We've learned the Empire has a cloaking device prototype at one of Balmorra's advanced weapon factories. It's the same technology hiding the Emperor's fortress. If we obtain that cloaking device prototype, we can understand how it works--develop a way to see through it.

: How did the Empire develop cloaking device technology?

: They didn't. Intelligence indicates the prototype is alien in design possibly Rakata or Gree. Finding the cloaking device prototype is almost impossible thanks to the invasion. We need experienced native guides to sort through the chaos. Balmorra has a well-established civilian resistance. Their spy network's knowledge of the Empire would be invaluable.

: Your tone indicates there's a complication.

: War breeds chaos, chaos breeds confusion and confusion breeds mistrust. Unfortunately, the resistance doesn't trust the Republic. Despite my best negotiations, they remain uncooperative.

: Can't say I blame them. The Empire's driven us off this planet twice already, leaving the resistance holding the bag.

: Republic Command just intercepted a distress call. A resistance medical facility is about to be overrun.

: I'd go, but an Imperial armour columns in my way. I need you to save the medical facility.

: I play the hero and they give me what I need to complete our mission. Clever.

: It's more than a stratagem. It's the right thing to do. I'm sending the medical facility's location. I don't know what you'll be facing there, but do whatever you must to save the resistance fighters. I'll meet you there as soon as I can. May the force be with you.

"SWTOR Codex" posted:

Warren Sedoru (Knight)

Warren Sedoru was already one of the most acclaimed Jedi Knights of the order when the Sith Empire attacked the Republic at Korriban. He was one of the first Jedi to lead a counterattack against Imperial forces and scored several early victories against them. The price of these triumphs was high, however.

Records indicate Warren was critically injured over a dozen times in battles from Alderaan to Yavin Four. Although he survived these near-deaths without need of cybernetic replacement parts, Warren's connection to the Force began to diminish. When the Republic signed the Treaty of Coruscant, Warren dedicated himself wholeheartedly to peace. He gave up his rank as Jedi Knight and became a Padawan to Master Tol Braga.

: You bring us to only the nicest warzones boss.

: Damnit more bugs And I used up my remaining bug jokes on Alderaan

Video Version

: The Jedi bought us time. Get our wounded to the secure area. Move it! I'm the chief medic. Just call me Doc. I appreciate your hard work, gorgeous--but there's a whole nest of colicoids coming. No time to evacuate.

: I'd never let anything bad happen to a nice guy like you.

: Not even if I asked nicely?

: :barf:

: I've got dozens of wounded here. Hope you're not one of those junior Jedi.
: Do we have to save him, too?

: I'll head for the secure area and stabilize casualties... here they come!

: The colicoids will eat us alive if their tunnels stay open, look around some with your Jedi tricks.

: Hey look at that. We're alive. Nice work.

: Lot of wounded here. You're the only doctor?

: Honey, I do the work of ten medics--and that's on a bad day. Say you might be wounded and not know it. Let me check you over.

: I feel fine--but you're the doctor...

: Let's see... uh-huh...hmm. You'll certainly need a more thorough exam... later.

: I'll be looking forward to it.

: I don't know what genius picked a Colicoid breeding ground for our medical facility, but we need to evacuate quick. Problem is, my critical patients are too fragile to move--and the Empire stole my trauma kits.

: I'm here to steal something from the Empire; Your people need to help me.

: I can arrange that--if my patients survive. Our scouts say the Imperials sent my trauma kits to their front-line troops on the plains nearby. The depots will be guarded, but I'm sure you'll figure something out. Just hurry--these people don't have much time.

: So beat up Imperial doctors and take their medical supplies. I see no problem with that.

Later at the resistance base...

: Ugh. How do I change the power pack...?

: Sergeant Jolis + N5 = not programmed for combat // Sergeant Jolis = should seek shelter now.

: Master Jedi? You probably think guns are barbaric, but can you show me how to use this? I'm taking the fight to those Imperial scumbags. I owe it to my squadron.

: What happened to your squadron?

: Sergeant Jolis' squadron = attempted strike on Imperial outpost // Outpost = equipped with anti-aircraft artillery // Sergeant Jolis = sole survivor.

: Now they're salvaging our fliers databanks. They've got our weapons specs, orders, briefings, everything. I have to get those databanks back and take out the guns. Trouble is, the place is guarded by shock troops, real hard-core fighters.

: And if the way your fiddling with that gun is anything to go by, you're kind of screwed

: What else can I do? I have to do something.

: Sergeant Jolis vs. Empire = calculating // Results = certain death // N5 = run calculations again?

: Still since, you're here... We could team up? What if you went in and took care of the vets, and I wait here to deal with any you flush out? That way we're all doing our bit?

: So I do all the work and you get all the credit. Story of my life. Eh, whatever. I'm slaughtering my way through the base anyway, So I can snag your data with the other loot.

: I hope you're right. Well about getting the data anyway. Just hurry? The Empire will fight to the last breath to keep those databanks. If they manage to decode them... mine won't be the last dead squadron.

: Huh, That's a pretty big base. Still it's not the size that counts but what you do with it.

: I Still don't get why we can't wreck these things with our lightsabers.

:No we can't just stick a lightsaber in it. If we really want to take these guns offline we need to remove the targeting circuit and the three power conduits just shoving a lightsaber in won't do much good.

: And here's the medical supplies we're supposed to...steal? unsteal? Steal back? Let's get these back to that cute little medic.

: Wait, cute?No accounting for taste.

Some time later back at the resistance base...

: Sergeant Jolis. I have the databanks, and all gun batteries are down.

: That means I can get back up in the air again. Plus, I managed to pick off a few imperials.

: Call me back when you're up to a few hundred.

: I sure hope so. I can't wait to take the fight to those Imperial scum.

: Sergeant Jolis = good master // N5 - Sergeant Jolis = could not compute // N5 = grateful for assistance.

: With those guns out of the way, we can get the fleet operational again. Payback time.

Not long after at Doc's little medical station...

: I got as many trauma kits as I could find.

: Beautiful. The kits look good, too.

: He's a walking hormone.

: Apologies for being late, my detour around those Imperial forces took longer than expected.

: Forgive my bluntness. But you appear to be a Jedi who's seen many battles.

: Mementos from my previous disagreements with Sith. I was quite the warrior, once. Thought evil was something I could conquer with my lightsaber.

: I've conquered quite a bit of evil with my lightsaber.

: I remember that feeling of accomplishment when an enemy fell, but don't be deceived. Peace cannot take route in fear, nor be nourished with blood. Master Braga taught me that. You've done well, saving this facility and its patients. The resistance has already agreed to help us find the cloaking device prototype.

: This super-advanced gadget you're after... the resistance can narrow down its location, but we need access to the enemy's computer network. The only connection point is at Sobrik, which is covered in Imperial forces, troop legions, walkers, heavy bombers. Fun place.

: Sounds like fun! I'll find a way in there if I have to take on the whole Imperial Army Please let me take on the entire Imperial army

: A frontal assault? Suicide. Place is covered in ray shields.

: I believe we can diminish the Imperial forces without firing a shot. The Empire has several comm relays around Sobrik, tied to other Imperial strongholds. An early warning system.

: Great. When we attack, they can summon more troops to kill us.

: Or, we make the Imperials think we're attacking their other strongholds. We'll infiltrate those comm relays, upload fake alerts and siphon away Sobrik's defenders--leaving i vulnerable.

: If the Empire thinks it's under attack, won't they tighten Sobrik's defences?

: Sobrik's commanders are noted for aggressive tactics--and they'll have every reason to believe they're secure. The comm relays are protected by advanced Imperial war droids. Very fast, extremely deadly. I'm no longer quick enough to defeat those war droids, but you are.

: Then the resistance can raid the Empire's computer network. We'll figure out where they've stashed that watchamathingit you want.

: Use this datapad on the comm relays to upload the fake emergency signals. I'll find a good vantage spot to watch Sobrik and keep you informed of our progress. Be careful out there.

End Recording

Bonus Content

To: R'andayn <atlasforcepushed@Jedi.ac.cor>
Subject: Hero of Tython

Jedi the time to strike is approaching.

The Emperor has been critically weakened but it will not last long. Soon he will take a new host. Soon after every living thing in the Galaxy will die to fuel his ambitions.

You will need more than rage and arrogance to beat him. The Emperor fears you. Take this crystal. Attune it to you. Show the Emperor the darkness in your heart, and the doom that awaits him.

A Mysterious Benefactor

: Well I'm not using a random crystal sent by some nutcase who can't even be bothered to sign his own name, You take it Kira. Besides who knows if this guy is on the level, it might be some sort of trap set up for me.

: Gee, thanks for the potential booby-trap I'll treasure it for ever and ever Or at least till I find a discreet way to dump it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So Doc is basically like Quinnine but slightly less serious, and rand is hitting on him? Oy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If Rand'ayn is anything like her namesake, then this will only end in tears.

:allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If there's one thing the galaxy's never short on, it's scoundrels.

The mistrust angle gets a lot of play in Balmorra, regarding the Republic and the Resistance, but it's pretty unfair. The Republic tried quite seriously to retake Balmorra - last time they almost broke the Treaty of Coruscant over it, this time they very clearly are. I can understand not trusting their competence, but surely they've proven their intentions?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

The mistrust angle gets a lot of play in Balmorra, regarding the Republic and the Resistance, but it's pretty unfair. The Republic tried quite seriously to retake Balmorra - last time they almost broke the Treaty of Coruscant over it, this time they very clearly are. I can understand not trusting their competence, but surely they've proven their intentions?

Because they also failed twice and didn't actually break the Treaty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A cloaking device? Are those lost technology by the time of the movies or are they being produced?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Glazius posted:

A cloaking device? Are those lost technology by the time of the movies or are they being produced?

Didn't Boba's ship have one in the prequels? Even after a guy in one of the earlier movies said, about the Falcon: "No ship that small has a cloaking device"? I don't know, don't think anyone is keeping track.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Glazius posted:

The latest invention in the series was a "stealth" cloaking device.
Now, no one can find the drat thing... :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Glazius posted:

Cloaking was brought up as a major plot point in TIE Fighter. The issue is sheer power drain rather than Cloaking not existing. Smaller ships can't. The definition of 'Smaller ship' was Corvette level like the Falcon or Corellian Corvette, with eventual hopes for even fighter-level craft to cloak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2RXWBxMH8&list=PL36626324BF843744#t=167

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Cloaking devices in Star Wars also tended to blind the user while the cloak was active, so they're considered more of a novelty technology than something with actual utility.

They could accomplish very much the same thing with some matte black paint and subtle ECM.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PART 4: ARRIVAL ON BALMORRA

Previously posted:

To prove to the rebellious RIFT ALLIANCE that the REPUBLIC can still win against the EMPIRE, JOLUNE MOL'NEUX seeks to liberate the occupied world of BALMORRA...

[VIDEO: The Line of Succession]

: I am--was--Balmorra's trade secretary. I was offworld when the Imperial occupation began, and my colleagues were exiled or killed. Our president... he was taken, and who knows what he's suffered? Hiding or not, I now have seniority. If we free Balmorra, I become president.

: The Empire must know that you're next in line. You're lucky to be alive.

: Several Republic worlds protected me. I owe them everything. And once our government is restored, I want Balmorra to join the Republic.

: Sounds good to me. As a Jedi, I must stop the suffering of your people.

: That will change. Meanwhile, I have a contact who can help us; a revolutionary calling himself “Zenith”.

: How humble of him.

: How does Zenith fit into your plans?

: I need his knowledge and resources. But first, we have to find him. When you're on the surface, go to this location and enter the phrase “two perspectives are aligned” into the computer there. It'll get Zenith's attention; hopefully, he'll be amenable.

: Is there anything in particular you want me to tell him?

: Say whatever you need to, just get him on our side.

: Qyzen! Let's go! We're joining the revolution! ...Qyzen?

: Pardon my asking, but are you feeling alright?

: Am fine. Only... hungry. Is part of shko-yagu, rite of passage, to deny food. But, always when I hunger, I hunt. To hunger for days is new.

: Oh man. Now I feel guilty for cooking all that bacon last night.

: Did not help.

: Sorry, Qyzen. But you can do it! “This hunger is just another foe, one you defeat with strength and focus.”

: Is true, Herald. I will remember. Where is that from?

: Mandalore the Undying's New Diet Revolution.

: Is rare for hunters to live long enough for shko-yagu, true. But none completing for years? Has never been so.

: In turbulent times, the first changes are often cultural. Maybe your people's customs are evolving.

: Shko-yagu is honored rite of passage. Would be shame to lose... After fasting, shko-yagu continues. I drink nakkis leaf medicine on empty stomach. Force skin to molt—is rebirth.

: Is part of shko-yagu. Is tradition.

: I'm not surprised no-one's doing this ritual anymore, if they have to undergo the hangover from hell to pass it.

: Sickness is nothing.

: :sigh: I could make you a medicine from our supplies that will induce molting, without any side effects.

: Nakkis leaf is tradition. But... perhaps Scorekeeper speaks through you, Herald? I will trust. Make this medicine.

LATER...

: Now to Balmorra?

: Nah. Stay here and look after the ambassadors. I'll take Tharan into the war zone.

: Will be learning experience for him.

: Yeah, something like that.

: So, the big tough lizard gets to stay on the ship drinking tea with the ambassadors because he has a skin condition. Meanwhile, the greatest scientific mind of our generation has to go slog through a battlefield shooting people. It doesn't seem fair somehow.

: Aww, poor baby.

: Aww, poor baby. But with more sarcasm.

: What is this place, anyway?

: Orbital drop station. From here, we'll take an TTS down to the Republic's FOB.

: What are you talking about?

: ...I think I've been spending too much time with Todessa.

: Does this have something to do with that Expeditionary Fleet busin-

: Ah! Master Jedi! A moment, please.

: We're trying to break an Imperial occupation on Balmorra. But the Republic's got no ground, no resources and right now, no chance.

: Sometimes it's the attitude that wins the war.

: Only if the Empire's fielding Care Bears.

: Balmorran factories produce the most powerful weapons in the galaxy. Possess them, win any war you want. The Republic must retake Balmorra- but we need reinforcements.

: Is Balmorra a complete war zone?

: We've managed to make a beachhead in a place called Bugtown that the Empire overlooked.

: Sounds delightful.

: Commander Madine requested all reinforcements see him at Republic headquarters. Can he expect you?

: From the stories I hear, I think the Balmorra people would agree.

A BUMPY FLIGHT LATER...

: Bugtown... I wonder why they call it that?

: kssss

: Ahhhhhh!!!!!

*BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM*

: Ahhhh!!! Bugs!!! Ahhhh!!!

: Ahhhh!!! Keep firing!!! Ahhhh!!!!

*BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM*

: Bugtown. Right.

: Perfectly good lab being neglected. Where's the zazz? I should have Holiday redesign this whole space.

[VIDEO: Bugtown is My Kinda Town]

: I'm Commander Madine. We both know why you're here, so I'll lay out the details. The Empire's taken control of Balmorra's satellite defense system. It's only a matter of time before they find Bugtown and blast us out of this swamp.

: If you know Bugtown's in danger, you should evacuate. Actually, I'd evacuate this place even if it wasn't in danger. Have you seen what it's like outside?

: And lose the only part of Balmorra we've got? Leaving won't solve our problems.

: Might solve the giant bug problem.

: Besides that. Look...

: But if we could get control of the satellite system, we could turn it on the Empire and even the score.

: The satellite system must have a weakness.

: All we know is that it's well protected; my scouts and SIS agents can't even get close. My best agent managed to gather some intel, but he never made it back. His ship was shot down.

: How do you know the Empire doesn't already have it?

: If the Empire has cracked Agent Jago's encryption, we'd be hearing about it elsewhere. Trust me. Use this decrypter to verify the intel's contents. Then contact me through the comm station at the shuttle pad.

: I understand perfectly.

: Before I go... General, could I use that terminal for a while? Jedi business.

: Oh... Of course. I'll give you some privacy.

: Much obliged!

: This is the computer Tai mentioned... Hmmm. I heard that “two perspectives are aligned”.

: [The computer terminal lights up and a recorded message plays.]

: There are privacy scramblers throughout this area, relics from a freer time. Switch them on and you will be contacted.

: Oh please.

: You can't blame people for being paranoid on a world like this, Tharan.

: I can blame people for being stupid through. Why would an archaic privacy scrambler have any effect on modern surveillance equipment?

: Because... er... Huh. Oh well, let's do what the computer said anyway. Not like we have a choice.

AND SO...

: That's the first one...

: Two...

: Three...

: Ahhh!

: Bugs!

: Ahhhhhh!!!

: Four. That's the last one. Now for a chat with the mysterious Mr Zenith.

[VIDEO: Peaky] (it's Troy “I'm in everything now” Baker!)

: I'm here on Tai Cordan's behalf.

: Then what does he want?

: We share a goal-- to free Balmorra's people. Tai Cordan is ready to rebuild the government.

: Unlikely. The old government's in exile, the Empire's too powerful.

: No. The Republic has failed us before. Help me first. Then we'll talk.

: I'll expect you to hold up your end of the deal.

: Expect what you like. I'm tracking the Imperial head of manufacture. Responsible for building weapons and enslaving my people. He's operating from inside the Okara Droid Factory. Normally, no problem. But he has a powerful bodyguard. I can't get close.

: I'm not an assassin.

: No. Assassins get paid. Go to the factory and keep the bodyguard out of the way for me. Then we talk politics.

: ...What kind of resistance can I expect?

: Don't take long. This mission is vital. *bzzt*

: Hmph. What a sourpuss.

NEXT TIME: Espionage, sabotage, and badinage.

BONUS SPACE NEWS:

Galactic News Network: News Flash posted:

SITH ATTACK AT DERALIA, REPUBLIC IN CRISIS

Dramatic scenes unfolded today over Deralia, as Sith forces launched a daring attack against a Republic diplomatic vessel. Several Senators and diplomatic representatives were killed before a Jedi strike team were able to reach the stricken vessel, the Fortitude, and restore order.

In a time of rising tensions between the Republic and the Empire, does this suggest the Republic may have difficulties securing its borders? In an exclusive interview, Representative Alauni of Saleucami says yes. “This attack demonstrates the continued incompetence of Republic patrols and the mindless bureaucrats who manage them,” she said.

When asked for comment, Imperial ambassador and Coruscant attache Sammel Yane released a short statement, claiming that the Empire has no operations in the Tammuz Sector. Ambassador Yane added the the Empire “cannot be held responsible for the activities of rogue elements.”

Inferior fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 1, 2014

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cloaking devices in Star Wars also tended to blind the user while the cloak was active, so they're considered more of a novelty technology than something with actual utility.

They could accomplish very much the same thing with some matte black paint and subtle ECM.

But the Exile and Revan had personal cloaking devices. I... What? :psyduck:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Fanzay posted:

So do Smugglers and Imperial Agents, presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Fanzay posted:

Walrus Pete posted:

So do Smugglers and Imperial Agents, presumably.

Story/gameplay separation. If you're going to indite the game for that, there's a lot more games that'll have to go with it.

e: Alternately - cloaking energy requirements follows an exponential progression, so cloaking something human-sized is trivial, but cloaking something even slightly bigger takes a lot more.

Kloro fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 16, 2013

• Locked thread