Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Speaking of disabling shot did they ever fix the bug where shooting a sectopod with it gave it infinite reaction shots? that was fun:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Question: It looks like I won't finish researching beam weapons 'till the day before my second council report and I'm not sure if being this far behind is going to end my classic/ironman game early. Would it make sense to switch back to researching the arc thrower (8 days left) and get that and try to capture some sectoids to speed things along, or should I just stay the course with beam research... or should I just start over all together?

Also, I was thinking about getting all the beam weapons and the carapeace armour out of the way before finishing the arc thrower originally. Do you think that's putting it off for way too long?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Anyone else having a problem with no more urban maps showing up for UFOs? I keep getting the EU tree maps that I'm sick as poo poo of and I'm save/loading over and over to get a city one.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Is there something hidden that slows down production time? I set up satellites to build and the schedule showed me to be on track for completion before the Council report, but they ended up finishing a day after and I lost a country.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Lost 2 B-stringers, I'd say I hit them a hell of a lot harder than they hit me. I could have camped around that whale allllllll day.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

FallenGod posted:

I couldn't get it to work the last time I played EU, but in EW I've been spinning that poo poo by holding down left trigger and moving one of the sticks.
Perhaps I'll plug in my XBox controller and see what happened. I liked rotating the globe so I could see the panic levels, if I forgot what they were in the situation room.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hm, I've got something weird happening. I'm at the start of the second month and I'm getting absolutely bombarded by UFOs it's literally impossible for me to shoot down. Like "battleship" impossible to shoot down. Even if I'd rushed the tech upgrades I don't think I'd have the upgraded ships necessary to take this poo poo down, even at the cost of having my guys actually equipped. Is there something weird going on or did I just get screwed?

Otherwise I'd been doing fine. I hadn't lost any soldiers and was on my way to having a good squad but now Panic is completely out of control because I have no way of dealing with a battleship.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Had a loving picture perfect Infestation mission.

As soon as I activate the transponder and group everyone up again (they were separated trying to secure the ship), I tried slowly fighting my way back to the evac zone. Well this turned out to be a horrible idea because even with a LT sniper, 2 laser rifles and a kinetic strike MEC, we just couldn't hurt the bugs fast enough to keep them at a safe distance. So the order went out for everyone to just loving sprint for the EVAC zone. In the second to last turn one of my rookies get literally surrounded on all 4 sides by chrysallids, within safe walking distance of the evac zone (that all the other agents have already reached). Last turn, the safety zoned agents unleash hell all around the rookie and blast 2 of the 4 chrysallids down. Mission accomplished :coal:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Hm, I've got something weird happening. I'm at the start of the second month and I'm getting absolutely bombarded by UFOs it's literally impossible for me to shoot down. Like "battleship" impossible to shoot down. Even if I'd rushed the tech upgrades I don't think I'd have the upgraded ships necessary to take this poo poo down, even at the cost of having my guys actually equipped. Is there something weird going on or did I just get screwed?

Otherwise I'd been doing fine. I hadn't lost any soldiers and was on my way to having a good squad but now Panic is completely out of control because I have no way of dealing with a battleship.

I had one battleship show up in my second month and destroy my poor interceptor. Literally every UFO after that battleship has been a landed one for some reason though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay, I've been having a consistent crash (twice now at the exact same moment) when I end my turn and two floaters come in. The game shuts down before the cutscene finishes. Is that always going to happen because I don't want to re-do the whole mission again.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just got another loving sniper. God damnit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LibbyM posted:

I had one battleship show up in my second month and destroy my poor interceptor. Literally every UFO after that battleship has been a landed one for some reason though.

Yeah, this has been multiple times in a row. I may just have to restart because it's just not sustainable at all. It's really frustrating because I was doing fine with Panic before the game decided to hit the gently caress You button.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hogama posted:

Is there something hidden that slows down production time? I set up satellites to build and the schedule showed me to be on track for completion before the Council report, but they ended up finishing a day after and I lost a country.

EXALT, maybe?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Hoboskins posted:

Speaking of disabling shot did they ever fix the bug where shooting a sectopod with it gave it infinite reaction shots? that was fun:xcom:

Yes, disabling shot now works properly on sectopods, which is why I don't actually mind the changes to make them scarier.

It does make Battle Scanner a lot less useful, though.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

S.J. posted:

Just got another loving sniper. God damnit.

That's like me with assaults. I have like five, and only two supports.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Zebrasectomy posted:

Question: It looks like I won't finish researching beam weapons 'till the day before my second council report and I'm not sure if being this far behind is going to end my classic/ironman game early. Would it make sense to switch back to researching the arc thrower (8 days left) and get that and try to capture some sectoids to speed things along, or should I just stay the course with beam research... or should I just start over all together?

Also, I was thinking about getting all the beam weapons and the carapeace armour out of the way before finishing the arc thrower originally. Do you think that's putting it off for way too long?

It depends on what other stuff you've got. If you can afford the containment facility and feel confident enough to grab one of the little buggers it wouldn't hurt, but as an alternative 2 MECs go a long way towards propping you up until beam weapons. In my Asia start I had 2 MECs and both squad size upgrades before my first laser rifle and I still don't have carapace or the other laser weapons (though I'm bee-lining to get heavy lasers to upgrade my MECs / heavies / interceptors).

I'm feeling very comfortable in combat after a rough start and I was able to do all of Slingshot on Classic with 2 tier 1 MECs and only three laser rifles, for whatever that's worth. Also tactical webbing (if you can afford it) lets you drop +armor items like nanoweave on everyone, which can also hold you over until carapace.

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 15, 2013

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Nah, he probably just started them late in the day and they finished a couple hours after the council briefing. If it was EXALT, there'd be a popup about how EXALT is behind this and you can do a covert op vs. the cell that did it.

Always keep about a 1-2 day cushion if you can.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Wow, after watching Beagle getting broke over the knee of Ironman Impossible, I am not quite confident on my abilities to actually finish it in EW! Then again, he had very, very bad luck.

Thanks for whoever pointed out that the stream was happening, by the way.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

Always keep about a 1-2 day cushion if you can.

It probably was starting too late. Still seems strange to me because when I started it said 21 days to Council Report, then as it got closer to deadline the satellites were due to come in around the same time, then they slipped to a day past. Oh well, poor time reasoning on my part. I managed to keep the damage limited to a country in my base continent, at least.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Hogama posted:

It probably was starting too late. Still seems strange to me because when I started it said 21 days to Council Report, then as it got closer to deadline the satellites were due to come in around the same time, then they slipped to a day past. Oh well, poor time reasoning on my part. I managed to keep the damage limited to a country in my base continent, at least.

Yeah, the slippage happened a couple times for me too. One was my first MEC's augs finishing up sliding to after a Cover Extraction, another was a genemod slipping to after another covert mission.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

FallenGod posted:

It depends on what other stuff you've got. If you can afford the containment facility and feel confident enough to grab one of the little buggers it wouldn't hurt, but as an alternative 2 MECs go a long way towards propping you up until beam weapons. In my Asia start I had 2 MECs and both squad size upgrades before my first laser rifle and I still don't have carapace or the other laser weapons (though I'm bee-lining to get heavy lasers to upgrade my MECs / heavies / interceptors).

I'm feeling very comfortable in combat after a rough start and I was able to do all of Slingshot on Classic with 2 tier 1 MECs and only three laser rifles, for whatever that's worth. Also tactical webbing (if you can afford it) lets you drop +armor items like nanoweave on everyone, which can also hold you over until carapace.

Can I start turning out mech troopers as soon as the mech lab is finished or do I have to research the MEC suits first? I should have that finished about a week or so before the end of the month so that might take some pressure off.

Edit: Can Mecs still use items? I was thinking about turning one of my supports but I don't want to lose a medic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hogama posted:

This is something that happened previously in Vanilla xcom as well. You are not crazy and most likely did schedule those satellites to finish before the report. Only thing I can think of is maybe production doesn't happen during skyranger flight/ufo engagements.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
So while I'm still reading through the thread I just wanted to thank whoever recommended Dense Muscle Fiber, Depth Perception and Mimetic Skin on an ITZ/SS/DGG Sniper. Especially when paired up with a grenadier.

EXALT never knew what hit 'em. I'm pretty sure we'd already left one room an utter ruin filled with bodies with pin-sized smoking holes in the tops of their heads by the time Bradford made his little remark about form over function. :allears:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Zebrasectomy posted:

Can I start turning out mech troopers as soon as the mech lab is finished or do I have to research the MEC suits first? I should have that finished about a week or so before the end of the month so that might take some pressure off.

Edit: Can Mecs still use items? I was thinking about turning one of my supports but I don't want to lose a medic.

It takes three days to augment a soldier once the lab is completed (can slice up at least 3 people at once), then after that you can build the MEC armor for them instantly. You'll need $35 and 50 meld per MEC trooper ($10 and 10 meld for the surgery, $25 and 40 meld for the armor), so make sure you can afford the armor before you create a MEC trooper, because they can't fight without the armor.

MEC troopers cannot use the items that regular soldiers can, but upgrading their armor gives access to their own types of items. Rank two armor, for example, gives the choice of a long range grenade launcher or an AOE medkit.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

FallenGod posted:

It takes three days to augment a soldier once the lab is completed (can slice up at least 3 people at once), then after that you can build the MEC armor for them instantly. You'll need $35 and 50 meld per MEC trooper ($10 and 10 meld for the surgery, $25 and 40 meld for the armor), so make sure you can afford the armor before you create a MEC trooper, because they can't fight without the armor.

MEC troopers cannot use the items that regular soldiers can, but upgrading their armor gives access to their own types of items. Rank two armor, for example, gives the choice of a long range grenade launcher or an AOE medkit.

Cool, I should have about two MECs by the end of the month then. It's too bad that the MEC bonus for assault's sounds kind of lovely as I've got a surplus in that department.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

With the addition of training roulette, I'm hoping that we will get a mod that would allow us to create our own soldiers skills, and import/export them from games. I'd like to run a game using nothing but goon-created soldiers.

Then I could bitch about FallenGod missing 90% shots or complain about PoptartFairy dying in full cover to a thin man

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Another exciting and exotic bug found! Started the alien base mission to find out one of my supports was... a ghost. Couldn't target any enemies even if adjacent, couldn't take cover either. And I'm pretty sure he couldn't be attacked either.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I had a couple of Exalt people airdrop right on top of my troops. They shared the same space and clipped into each other.

Got 100% aim against them though so I was fine with this. Was funny watching the cam zoom in and dramatically blow the body out of the other solider.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I had a thin man do that on the french VIP mission. he overwatched then exploded into acid on top of my guy.

gently caress Thin Men. That particular attempt resulted in a full squad wipe.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Seriously. gently caress Thin Men.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Goddamn. Impossible Ironman is just crazy now, if it wasn't already crazy to begin with. There's a neverending stream of missions, I'm in the second month, and now suddenly with my four non-rookies out injured I've been given one of the Slingshot council missions - and I've only got four rookies to do it with.

Start of the second month on impossible just flicks the switch to crazy town though. Four seekers, six floaters, three sectoids on a mission? Sure, why not!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

nutranurse posted:

Seriously. gently caress Thin Men.

Someone should make a mod to give Thin Men shittier weapons. :(

I never actually had a problem with them in my Classic run, though. I dunno if it's because you guys are absorbing all the crits so I don't have to or because I was just extremely excessive about grenade/rocket use against Thin Men or what.

Also, new change that I actually really like: Aliens will now reinforce their comrades in battles. That was amazing and led to some really tense fights, when like, a Mechtoid, a pair of Sectoids, and three Heavy Floaters showed up to help Friend Sectopod.

While I only had lasers. I got out with 1 dead, 1 critically wounded (thankfully, secondary heart) and 2 MECs that were barely hanging onto life.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
My poor Gene-modded soldiers got eaten alive (for the most part) in Zombie Innsmouth. Mec-Master Zhang and his fists of glory saved the day however and managed to get the new girl medic out alive. He punched the crap out of so many, chryssalids, zombies, and zombie team-mates he never bothered to reload his minigun. RIP Nightmare, (She)Hulk and Gonzo, may kinetic punches fly you to your resting place.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MJ12 posted:

Also, new change that I actually really like: Aliens will now reinforce their comrades in battles. That was amazing and led to some really tense fights, when like, a Mechtoid, a pair of Sectoids, and three Heavy Floaters showed up to help Friend Sectopod.

Yeah, my first terror mission in EW Classic some Chryssalids found me, then the next round every floater on the map came out of the darkness. It was almost a perfect map if that one floater hadn't decided to shoot civilians rather than me.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think for a lot of missions I've seen people stream/post on youtube where they get a squad wipe, the correct answer would have been to just run away.

If you're down to only two people and there are more than two enemies activated there's a very good chance they're going to die very fast without doing much. You'll lose the mission anyway so just run away. If you're holding the aliens at arm's length at least, a double-move should keep them out of range for a turn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game's a lot more fun now that aliens don't just teleport on top of you.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Yak of Wrath posted:

My poor Gene-modded soldiers got eaten alive (for the most part) in Zombie Innsmouth. Mec-Master Zhang and his fists of glory saved the day however and managed to get the new girl medic out alive. He punched the crap out of so many, chryssalids, zombies, and zombie team-mates he never bothered to reload his minigun. RIP Nightmare, (She)Hulk and Gonzo, may kinetic punches fly you to your resting place.

You know what I kind of wish? I kind of wish MECs had inventory slots, so I could stick Chitin Plating on one of them and just fight Chryssalids by punching them to death all day erryday.

My experience is actually that MECs are surprisingly fragile. Compare, for example, an assault that goes down the full defense tree in Ghost Armor. With Chitin + Respirator in his two slots, he has +12 health from armor, and then another +3ish from Extreme Conditioning, meaning he's only got slightly lower health than a MEC, 20 defense instead of 10, and is totally immune to crits instead of merely 'mostly' immune. He's also basically as fast and can get defensive bonuses from cover, and also can cloak/etc.

Basically, MECs look like they're huge tanks that can roll through heavy fire and give no fucks, but I actually found their main advantage isn't toughness, it's firepower and mobility. MECs bring the most powerful guns in the entire game on any side into play, and the most powerful single-damage attack you have is the Kinetic Strike, which you can in theory use up to twice in a turn after upgrading. (Although that requires some extremely specific circumstances, and the most common way you'd do it is basically hitting a Sectopod with Disabling Shot and then running your MEC up to it, then punching it twice a turn later for 18 total damage after its 50% reduction).

So the conclusion I'm getting at is that they're not really tanks in the RPG sense, they're more like tank destroyers. Enough armor to survive light fire, and powerful weapons that can destroy heavy units. The fact that Kinetic Strike MECs, with the Foundry upgrades, are possibly the fastest units in the entire game you have access to (I believe they beat out Sprinter/Ghost Supports in mobility, even) and have that level of firepower, plus their inability to use cover, actually informs how you use them. They're most useful for extremely aggressive maneuvering into flanking positions, at which point you punch the target repeatedly or shoot them and then they die. The fact that they carry a lot of cover-reducers also gives them a secondary and powerful support role for other troops. It seems that there's two ways to use them that work effectively:

The first is to have a bunch of MECs (2 at a minimum, 3 would be nice, possibly 4 would be better) as a gigantic armored vanguard, with a pair of miscellaneous troops (possibly mimetic skin snipers) to do scouting/repairs/psi/etc. In this case it's all about extremely aggressive maneuvering, and being confident enough that you can soak fire (especially considering MECs with the extra ammo mod and restorative mist give all your MECs +12 effective HP assuming you have a few turns to wait). Expensive, though, and it means you'll probably have to forego the third tier and its proximity mines.

The second would be having a single MEC or maybe a pair, using them as support elements for regular squishy soldiers, removing cover and the like. This is much cheaper. Not nearly as entertaining as a giant brigade of metal men ruining everything in their path without a care for cover, though.

The thing is, MECs are actually surprisingly more finesse-dependent than unaugmented soldiers, even in the lategame. A Titan or Ghost armored soldier can take a lot more fire due to MECs having really low defense, but is more restricted in where they can go.

Minor annoyances: Kinetic Strike isn't boosted by the +damage from autopsies thing. There are so many things I'd like to punch out with an even 20 damage, like Ethereals and Berserkers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jesus, the number of incidents is complete bullshit. I just had my first terror mission and literally a second after finishing it I get an abduction mission.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ahaha, all of those 80%+ misses, followed by all four of his soldiers sniped out of heavy cover, one while hunkering down. Beautiful.

drat, I missed this, any way to watch it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I'm working on my Classic game. For the first month I got 4 satellites in the air, an OTS, a Cybernetics Lab, and two MECs, and I didn't lose a single country.

In month two I just finished researching Beam Weapons, but it looks like I'm gonna lose Europe. Like, the whole thing. I had to make a choice because an engineer and power deficit meant I couldn't make another uplink in time. I chose Africa over Europe.

• Locked thread