Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

So are gene mods that necessary on an operative or can I squeak by with a sniper with a laser pistol? Because I've been lagging behind on making mutant monster men instead of cyborg monster men.

Not necessary, Gunslinger Snipers work perfectly fine solo. Give it Memetic skin and the jumpy legs when you can though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RBA Starblade posted:

So are gene mods that necessary on an operative or can I squeak by with a sniper with a laser pistol? Because I've been lagging behind on making mutant monster men instead of cyborg monster men.

No. TBH laser pistols and gunslinger isn't necessary either since you can literally just hide in a corner of a map until the rescue team gets to the operative (which is really easy with 2 Kinestic strike MECs stomping all over EXALT's face). But obviously having a 7th operative capable of taking care of itself doesn't hurt.

Also unrelated question: does this game have cloud saving? Can I continue my game if I install XCOM on my laptop without having to manually transfer the save files?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 15, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Spacedad posted:

I actually would LOVE to make/work on an Xcom-type game done in a retro B-movie setting. Possibly a bit more cartoonish for added fun - the monsters looking silly and cheesy at times. See 'Unstoppable Gorg' for something along those lines - maybe not THAT silly, but approaching that area.

I want them to do a XCOM game set in the 1920's-1930's, with a Terror from the Deep/Cthulhu theme going on. You're not actually fighting underwater like TFTD, but you're running around New England and your agents are flappers and dapper gents with tommy guns killing fish men in creepy fishing villages and abandoned churches and such.

Instead of having an animation of the Skyranger racing off, you have an animation of your guys bouncing down a moonlit country road, clinging to the sides of a Model-T, with their goggles and silk scarves, holding their guns like gangsters.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Are laser pistols and gunslinger worth it ever? I believe the other trait is drat good ground or something indispensable like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NeoSeeker posted:

Are laser pistols and gunslinger worth it ever? I believe the other trait is drat good ground or something indispensable like that.

It's useful to keep a more powerful sidearm on a sniper for those times where it can't just sit still on the edge of the map and take potshots all day. I usually take gunslinger over DGG if I can on at least one of them for that reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NeoSeeker posted:

drat good ground is pretty bad. +10 to hit when high up on the class with ridiculously high Aim versus having your pistol become equivalent damage-wise to an assault rifle. Which incidently means you can move and shoot better than with Snap Shot because you don't get an inherent aim penalty on top of the close range penalty for Sniper Rifles. You also never have to reload your pistol and there's a bug that gives you squadsight range on reaction shots with it. Its amazing.

If you can get Gunslinger on a support or assault, through training roulette, its even more ridiculous. An Assault gets basically a shotgun and rifle and all the benefits of both and the support gets a gun that never needs to be reloaded.

I never take drat Good Ground if I can avoid it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 15, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You don't need to gene mod or equip your covert operatives with anything. I played a dozen Classic EXALT missions using random rookies with ballistic pistols and never had a single problem accomplishing the objective or even getting shot at. As long as you understand that there's absolutely no reason to expose your operative to any danger, ever, it's not a concern at all to just find a hiding spot until you have him safely covered.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's useful to keep a more powerful sidearm on a sniper for those times where it can't just sit still on the edge of the map and take potshots all day. I usually take gunslinger over DGG if I can on at least one of them for that reason.

With the buff to snap shot and the nerf to squadsight, I don't even take squadsight anymore. Move and fire sniper rifles every day, gunslinger's for chumps who don't know how to noscope.

Of course not playing with Training Roulette is also for chumps(:smuggo:) so the option between Gunslinger/DGG almost never comes up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sorry but Operatives who aren't proactive, even on Classic, don't deserve the job title. All my soldiers are actual soldiers. :smugdog:

Mission Update: heheheheheheheheh.

Goddammit.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
After 30 missions, 94 kills, and a heroic sacrifice on the base defense by punching the last sectopod to mutually assured destruction, Mike "Clank" Van Damme (he came with this name) my sniper turned mec whose claim to fame was running headlong into the enemy to draw fire and scout. I have decided to rename the star of terra to The Van Damme International Star Of Courage.

Special shoutout to my base defense rookies for landing the most clutch overwatch shots ever and drawing fire like bros.

Col. Van Damme, you will be sorely missed :patriot:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

NeoSeeker posted:

If you commit some time to the Foundry pistol upgrades, a Gunslinger Sniper can essentially move and shoot with impunity to the point where if I only have a limited amount of plasma/laser pistols to go around, Snipers always get priority.

On that note, just grabbed Enemy Within off Steam, I have never been good at Classic, so I'm going to start a Normal game with Enemy Within and probably some of the mutations (assuming that they carry over from the base game), and try this out. I won't be considered a coward for this, right? :ohdear:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was doing Friends in Low Places. I have the VIP go Head Down in Hard Cover. I pop a smoke screen for good measure.

A thin men one-shots him without even flanking him. This is Classic too. :xcom:

I reload, since I have Save Scum. It happens three more times. :xcom:

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

is it more advantageous to turn your less experienced soldiers into MEC, because it changes the class?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

uh zip zoom posted:

is it more advantageous to turn your less experienced soldiers into MEC, because it changes the class?

They retain their stats. So a col sniper turned mec will wreck poo poo up and down.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Monathin posted:

If you commit some time to the Foundry pistol upgrades, a Gunslinger Sniper can essentially move and shoot with impunity to the point where if I only have a limited amount of plasma/laser pistols to go around, Snipers always get priority.

On that note, just grabbed Enemy Within off Steam, I have never been good at Classic, so I'm going to start a Normal game with Enemy Within and probably some of the mutations (assuming that they carry over from the base game), and try this out. I won't be considered a coward for this, right? :ohdear:

EW on classic is a bit harder than the base game was, even with the new units. Especially when you see a dead whale, youre just gonna have to trust me on that one there will be blood.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

uh zip zoom posted:

A Colonel-ranked Sniper will turn into a Colonel-ranked MEC. MECs seem to get XP slower and have terrible stat gains (if you're not playing with random stats on levelup) so it's often better to use someone of high rank with good stats but a redundant role.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FraudulentEconomics posted:

They retain their stats. So a col sniper turned mec will wreck poo poo up and down.

Yeah, it's a trade off. Early MECs are fantastic but they'll be outclassed by soldiers you nurtured and then converted. It's perfectly viable to chop up a Squaddy and plug him into a suit, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I converted a heavy at about halfway down the skill tree and she punched a floater into a wall then through the wall and the wall exploded so I feel the investment and tension of everything else crumbling around me to try and support the giant killer robot was justified.

Really though, second playthrough? Mecs come AFTER lasers/armor, arc thrower, gene mods. I basically had to play nearly flawlessly to not be doomed, and right now I'm broke, only have 5 sats at month 3 (a few in reserve, but no uplinks) and I haven't captured any aliens yet. Asia might be taking one for the team. Second playthrough will also not be starting in Europe because why did I think that was a good place to start? Ugh.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is it still viable to just skip building Carapace armor and go straight to Skeleton? Haven't given it a try yet.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I swear the random number generator is skewed in the favour of thin men. (i know its not but what the hell is the deal with them).

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Gato posted:

I know lots of people have been asking but there didn't seem to be a consensus: can you delay Portent and Friends in Low Places, or are they gone for good if you ignore them the first time round?

I gotta ask real quick, are these two included in Enemy Within or is it like the Slingshot stuff that I have to buy on top of that?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

p.crestmont posted:

I just started this on Classic, and it's been much more challenging than regular EU so far. There are sooo many missions and injuries; I keep getting nailed with abductions and UFOs 1-3 days before key research finishes (including the dreaded terror mission with ballistics only).

Bee-lined straight for a MECs of course, but as others have mentioned they definitely are not the tank characters they appear to be (I got one OHKO'd by a Chrysalid on the terror mission). They are actually kind of tough to fit into a 4 man team early on, and I felt like the spot would have been better filled with a Heavy or an Assault in most cases, but I'm realizing now I just wasn't using them correctly.

MECs are basically tanks. You support your infantry with them and your infantry support them. They have some really good abilities, but they're often situational and they can't just blindly rush up and lay waste to things (at least not early on).

They're really good at drawing fire if you're in a bad position - the aliens will always shoot them over your soldiers behind cover because the accuracy is higher.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

TehGherkin posted:

I gotta ask real quick, are these two included in Enemy Within or is it like the Slingshot stuff that I have to buy on top of that?

Friends in Low Places is the first mission of Slingshot. Portent is the first mission of Progeny and is included.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

oswald ownenstein posted:

MECs are basically tanks. You support your infantry with them and your infantry support them. They have some really good abilities, but they're often situational and they can't just blindly rush up and lay waste to things (at least not early on).

They're really good at drawing fire if you're in a bad position - the aliens will always shoot them over your soldiers behind cover because the accuracy is higher.

Tank is a really bad comparison for a MEC and will give people the wrong idea. A group of aliens can easily one round a MEC, what a MEC really has going for them is overwhelming firepower, mobility, and the ability to obliterate cover with impunity.

Think of them as cavalry.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RBA Starblade posted:

There is literally nothing that is necessary on operatives. Just hunker down and don't move them at all while your squad catches up to where they are and then play it like a normal EXALT mission. They're some of the easiest missions in the entire game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tank is a really bad comparison for a MEC and will give people the wrong idea. A group of aliens can easily one round a MEC, what a MEC really has going for them is overwhelming firepower, mobility, and the ability to obliterate cover with impunity.

Think of them as cavalry.

Tank is accurate in the military sense, just not in the MMO sense. (in the real world tanks can't take a million hits and can be taken out really drat quickly by the right infantry if not properly supported)

Cavalry is a bad analogy because they're not great at hit and run tactics or skirmishing.

Rascyc posted:

There is literally nothing that is necessary on operatives. Just hunker down and don't move them at all while your squad catches up to where they are and then play it like a normal EXALT mission. They're some of the easiest missions in the entire game.

This is true. Operatives don't actually have to act on their own, they can wait until the main squad rescues them and then act in the squad. That said, making your operative a gunslinger sniper using the latest tech pistol helps with adding some extra firepower.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 15, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
MECs are self propelled artillery.

Also I am currently laughing my arse off here. My operative with Mimetic Skin is currently crouched next to a car within the capture point for her computer system. She's still blocking the EXALT hack but they have no idea what's going on and can't counter it.

E; It gets even better. :laffo:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 15, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Cavalry is a bad analogy because they're not great at hit and run tactics or skirmishing.

In months 1 and 2 this is exactly what they're good for. If you're playing it safe in the opening months, you're playing it wrong!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, it's a trade off. Early MECs are fantastic but they'll be outclassed by soldiers you nurtured and then converted. It's perfectly viable to chop up a Squaddy and plug him into a suit, though.
Use a heavy for this. Seriously. They get the same growths as heavies so you lose nothing at all by making your first MEC a heavy, and that heavy ability is great later on. A sniper-MEC or support-MEC should be converted from a colonel of the base class, though.

edit: Shen being all smug about EXALT prefering form over function is hilarious, though. And I'm showing them the superiority of cybernetic supersuits to X-Men. gently caress you mutants, I will burn you out.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, MECs shouldn't be leading the charge in many situations. This makes the kinetic strike mod a lot more useful since I tend to activate packs with standard squad members and then move the MECs in to clear out the leftovers or destroy cover. Can't resist punching a sectoid through a wall every now and then, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

poptart_fairy posted:

Sorry but Operatives who aren't proactive, even on Classic, don't deserve the job title. All my soldiers are actual soldiers. :smugdog:

I got the Max Remington achievement on my first EXALT mission with a rookie operative using a standard pistol. Man up and learn to work with what you've got, you're a secret agent. :smaug:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Tank is accurate in the military sense, just not in the MMO sense. (in the real world tanks can't take a million hits and can be taken out really drat quickly by the right infantry if not properly supported)

How about the old "Hammer and Anvil" military doctrine from mechanized infantry, is that more apt? Seems like your entrenched troops would be the Anvil, keeping the enemy engaged in the kill zone, and your Mechs the Hammer, flanking the enemy and disrupting them further so the regular troops can clean up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

What are people's thoughts on ghost grenades? I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion on them, but they were broken as all hell when I used them, especially with all the increased carrying capacity options in EW. The ability to run your entire squad up point blank to an enemy ignoring cover, having 5 out of the six attack/use abilities and then cloaking the entire squad for effective invincibility is just ridiculous to the point that I never considered mimetic skin or ghost armor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

e: whoops double post

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

MECs are self propelled artillery.

Also I am currently laughing my arse off here. My operative with Mimetic Skin is currently crouched next to a car within the capture point for her computer system. She's still blocking the EXALT hack but they have no idea what's going on and can't counter it.

E; It gets even better. :laffo:

I just realized, i don't even know how those missions are meant to play out. Like, what do the objectives even mean, what do you do with that other objective marker separated from the control zone? I've had several of those missions and they all ended by me slaughtering a never-ending stream of utterly retarded enemies who never fight back. I never played the objectives once.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Azran posted:

I was doing Friends in Low Places. I have the VIP go Head Down in Hard Cover. I pop a smoke screen for good measure.

A thin men one-shots him without even flanking him. This is Classic too. :xcom:

I reload, since I have Save Scum. It happens three more times. :xcom:

VIPs should be treated like squadsight snipers. In fact they should be kept with the squadsight snipers at all times. When it's time to move my sniper, then the VIP moves and not before.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
So theres an annoying bug that if you capture an outsider as your first captured alien the game wont track further alien captures and doesnt give you the research option to kill the alien base even though I have the item in the grey market, C/I ruined :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kanos posted:

I got the Max Remington achievement on my first EXALT mission with a rookie operative using a standard pistol. Man up and learn to work with what you've got, you're a secret agent. :smaug:

Well screw you too, buddy. :colbert:

I just realized, i don't even know how those missions are meant to play out. Like, what do the objectives even mean, what do you do with that other objective marker separated from the control zone? I've had several of those missions and they all ended by me slaughtering a never-ending stream of utterly retarded enemies who never fight back. I never played the objectives once.

Just keep EXALT out of the glowy area. If you don't they hack it and then start going for the two other areas. Lose those and it's mission failure.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

NeoSeeker posted:

Gunslinger is always worth it. DGG is sort of poo poo trait compared to it because it's offering a bonus that is largely meaningless to the class.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Regarding MEC flamethrowers, one great thing about them is that they can panic Ethereals and Muton Elites. Guaranteed damage with jellied elerium makes it so the bastards never get a chance to mind control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Sloober posted:

Gunslinger is always worth it. DGG is sort of poo poo trait compared to it because it's offering a bonus that is largely meaningless to the class.

DGG is really good on Snapshot snipers with jumpy legs, especially with the depth-perception gene mod.

• Locked thread