Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safari is logging me out of every site I'm logged into every 15-20 minutes. I've tried blowing away my keychain but no luck. Private browsing is off. Any ideas what might be up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Looking for a program that I can point at a folder, and it will convert all the mp3s in subfolders underneath to AAC. Any ideas? I'm okay with spending a couple bucks if it works well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Safari is logging me out of every site I'm logged into every 15-20 minutes. I've tried blowing away my keychain but no luck. Private browsing is off. Any ideas what might be up?
It kinda sounds like cookies aren't being saved. I'd try either looking for and deleting the cookies wherever they are in the Finder (presumably ~/Library/), or going in to Disk Utility and running a permissions repair. If that doesn't work I'd wipe out the Safari folder and/or doing the reset in Safari's app menu.

A Melted Tarp posted:

Looking for a program that I can point at a folder, and it will convert all the mp3s in subfolders underneath to AAC. Any ideas? I'm okay with spending a couple bucks if it works well.
Maybe iTunes? I'm not sure it'll output stuff in place though. I'd try turning off all the "copy to iTunes library/auto organize" stuff, set the encoder to AAC, make a new playlist, then drag a test folder (with a few songs in multiple folder levels) in to test it out.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Any way to revert Top Sites in Safari 6 to the old panoramic style?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

japtor posted:

It kinda sounds like cookies aren't being saved. I'd try either looking for and deleting the cookies wherever they are in the Finder (presumably ~/Library/), or going in to Disk Utility and running a permissions repair. If that doesn't work I'd wipe out the Safari folder and/or doing the reset in Safari's app menu.

No luck with any of these, unfortunately. Gah.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I should be better about it but I just haven't gotten around to using a password manager. I'm trying to get LastPass going and it's giving me a headache. Generate a password, see a bunch of dots in the window, did it put in the right password? I wound up generating a password multiple times because it wants to start doing its thing in the password change screen. I wanted to delete the redundant entries and I deleted the one I needed. So the only thing still containing my bank password was the clipboard on my phone.

Every time I want to use the bank app, I'm gonna go to the lastpass website, log in there, copy the password and paste it into the banking app? gently caress. Premium would mean having an app just for the passwords but you still have to dick around just as much. I think I might just wait for Apple to make their password manager better. 1Password is more than I'm probably willing to pay between mac, windows and mobile.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

A Melted Tarp posted:

Lossy to lossy conversion is always a bad idea, but XLD can do that if you insist.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is there some way I can fix my auto-correct dictionary? It seems to be broken since going to Mavericks, and is marking works like 'radio' and 'fix' and 'marking' and 'incorrect' as wrong while offering no suggestions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

No luck with any of these, unfortunately. Gah.
Got any extensions or outside hacks like Glims or something? What happens when you make a new account and try Safari from there?

Edit: otherwise, uh, do the obvious and make sure the cookie setting is set to allow cookies :downs:

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 16, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Why does Pages even have the option of opening and saving docx files? I tried to open a pile just for shits and grins, and yeah, none of them came through fine. The text is there, sure, but it's an ugly mess. I tried going the other way with a pretty simple document and Word pulls it up as a big mound of poo poo with words sprinkled everywhere. Why bother? At all?

massless
Feb 25, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This is what I generally do because it's way faster, but is there a way to make it not capture the window's drop shadow?

Command-shift-4, then spacebar, then option-click.

massless fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 16, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
More of an iphone thing but does anyone know how to go straight to browser on the Facebook iphone app? Besides clicking on a link and hoping you can navigate to google or something

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Philthy posted:

Why does Pages even have the option of opening and saving docx files? I tried to open a pile just for shits and grins, and yeah, none of them came through fine. The text is there, sure, but it's an ugly mess. I tried going the other way with a pretty simple document and Word pulls it up as a big mound of poo poo with words sprinkled everywhere. Why bother? At all?

Because "serious business" is infatuated with Office. Less so today than 5 years ago perhaps... but office doc support, however poor, has long been a condition of entry for alternate office suites. It sucks, but feh.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the point was that poor Office support is practically the same as not having it at all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

smackfu posted:

I think the point was that poor Office support is practically the same as not having it at all.

You can't list 'no office support' on a spec sheet though. That was the unstated but underlying position I was taking.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
My "All My Files" view in Finder hasn't updated in forever. Any idea how I can get it to show my latest files again?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what's in the docs you're putting into pages but I have pretty decent results with the import.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think that because Pages is a more consumer oriented product that the .doc importer is probably fairly basic. The few times I've had to use it to open resumes or product manuals have been just fine and completely readable.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Terpfen posted:

My "All My Files" view in Finder hasn't updated in forever. Any idea how I can get it to show my latest files again?

Somebody uses "All My Files" :psyduck:

Maybe Spotlight stopped indexing for some reason. Try forcing it to re-index your drive: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So since I installed Mavericks on my 2012 Macbook Air I've had the "Service Battery" notice. Battery seems to last less than it did before. Do I just wait for a patch fix or what?

http://www.zdnet.com/macbook-users-seeing-service-battery-message-after-mavericks-upgrade-7000022588/

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PaganGoatPants posted:

So since I installed Mavericks on my 2012 Macbook Air I've had the "Service Battery" notice. Battery seems to last less than it did before. Do I just wait for a patch fix or what?

http://www.zdnet.com/macbook-users-seeing-service-battery-message-after-mavericks-upgrade-7000022588/

I had this as well on my MBP. It went away on its own accord after a while and my battery life is actually a bit better under Mavericks.

I'd follow the Apple support thread linked in that article for a little while and see if there's any kind of official response.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Choadmaster posted:

Somebody uses "All My Files" :psyduck:

Maybe Spotlight stopped indexing for some reason. Try forcing it to re-index your drive: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409

It has its uses.

Anyway, figured out the problem. Somehow the sorting was changed from date modified to name. Once I set it back to date modified, my most recent files appeared again.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I don't understand why I keep getting this message when I open Chrome.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Whats the best way to use my iMac as a time machine target for my macbook over wifi? Should I just spring for OSX Server?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

Whats the best way to use my iMac as a time machine target for my macbook over wifi? Should I just spring for OSX Server?
Yes.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

ZeeBoi posted:

I don't understand why I keep getting this message when I open Chrome.

Check your extensions. What do you currently have installed?

Even then, I'm not sure if those things would even have the capability to call strings other than the ones with binary plugins.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

crazysim posted:

Check your extensions. What do you currently have installed?

Even then, I'm not sure if those things would even have the capability to call strings other than the ones with binary plugins.

I had adblock and 1password installed.

I've deleted Chrome and every related file and will reinstall Chrome again soon, see what happens.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

japtor posted:

Oh drat, I have no clue how FileVault would affect things in this case. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

As for leaving the user on the boot partition and symlinking stuff out, that's actually what I do...and am planning to move away from it once i get a fancy external enclosure :v:. It works fine but would rather just have everything in one place again.

Heh thanks. My needs are pretty light so I figure I should be ok, guess I'll upgrade on a whim one day and hope it works.

If anyone else is having the same problem (losing dock settings, etc. because the home directory is on a 2nd partition that isn't Filevault unlocked at login), this will fix it:

https://github.com/jridgewell/unlock

Fixed my problem completely (as far as I can tell).

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

frogbs posted:

Backing up via AFP to a shared disk connected to a non-Server Mac is a supported Time Machine configuration. The AFP share in question should be visible in the Time Machine pref pane if the share is currently mounted.* Alternatively, `tmutil setdestination` can help you here. [Edit: But this is simpler with OS X Server.)

(* Mavericks note: If the remote machine supports SMB, and you mount it via Finder's "Shared" browser, the mount will be SMB. Time Machine requires AFP. To guarantee you get an AFP share, use Go > Connect to Server in Finder, then enter the afp:// URL of the remote machine.)

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 18, 2013

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Mikey-San posted:

Backing up via AFP to a shared disk connected to a non-Server Mac is a supported Time Machine configuration. The AFP share in question should be visible in the Time Machine pref pane if the share is currently mounted.* Alternatively, `tmutil setdestination` can help you here. [Edit: But this is simpler with OS X Server.)

(* Mavericks note: If the remote machine supports SMB, and you mount it via Finder's "Shared" browser, the mount will be SMB. Time Machine requires AFP. To guarantee you get an AFP share, use Go > Connect to Server in Finder, then enter the afp:// URL of the remote machine.)

For mavericks, I thought AFP for TM was deprecated and preferred smb2 but I could be misremembering some details .

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

spoon daddy posted:

For mavericks, I thought AFP for TM was deprecated and preferred smb2 but I could be misremembering some details .

Time Machine still uses AFP.

Edit: To be very clear, SMB is *not* supported for Time Machine backups.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

fleshweasel posted:

I should be better about it but I just haven't gotten around to using a password manager. I'm trying to get LastPass going and it's giving me a headache. Generate a password, see a bunch of dots in the window, did it put in the right password? I wound up generating a password multiple times because it wants to start doing its thing in the password change screen. I wanted to delete the redundant entries and I deleted the one I needed. So the only thing still containing my bank password was the clipboard on my phone.

Every time I want to use the bank app, I'm gonna go to the lastpass website, log in there, copy the password and paste it into the banking app? gently caress. Premium would mean having an app just for the passwords but you still have to dick around just as much. I think I might just wait for Apple to make their password manager better. 1Password is more than I'm probably willing to pay between mac, windows and mobile.

That doesn't sound right. Lastpass should autofill, or give you a popup or context-click to fill in the login info. Of course, you have to be logged into Lastpass for this to happen.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Khelmar posted:

If anyone else is having the same problem (losing dock settings, etc. because the home directory is on a 2nd partition that isn't Filevault unlocked at login), this will fix it:

https://github.com/jridgewell/unlock

Fixed my problem completely (as far as I can tell).

Awesome, but I wish it could find a way to ask for the passwords instead of storing them in the keychain (I imagine throwing up windows during boot would require a kernel extension and would be much more fragile though).

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

With 1Password I just hit CMD+\ and it autofills and auto logs me in. So used to it that when I'm on another computer it takes me a few key presses to realise I have to enter a password manually.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I need to use Microsoft Word for a project, and am used to using emacs style keybindings everyplace. I was able to reproduce most of the important bits through Tools -> Customize Keyboard, but I'd really like to remap forward delete (fn-delete) to CTRL-D. Is there a way to do in Word? Apparently Keyboard Maestro might do it, but that costs $$$ and I really don't want to install some extra utility for such a simple thing.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mikey-San posted:

Time Machine still uses AFP.

Edit: To be very clear, SMB is *not* supported for Time Machine backups.

And do you know why Apple limits the protocol(s)? What happened to NFS shares being usable as TM locations in 10.6?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^^ Over time, Apple added a bunch of stuff to AFP to make networked TM backups more reliable, and in the process made TM dependent on those special AFP features. They documented it here:

https://developer.apple.com/library...08951-CH100-SW1

I expect TM's AFP requirement to go away in a future OS X major release. Obviously as of Mavericks they feel their homegrown SMB implementation is now robust enough to use for more than just light-use Windows compatibility, so the next step is to rewrite Time Machine's AFP-dependent data safety features for SMB.

If you want to live dangerously, close Preferences and run this in Terminal:

code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
You should now be able to point TM at a file server running an unsupported protocol like SMB. Fair warning, I've seen plenty of reports that this truly does not work too well in practice.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I opened an .avi file in QuickTime, and it did the conversion thing. Now every time I open QT, the movie opens as well. I cannot close the window (the red button activates, but nothing happens). I cannot save the file (the filename is greyed out if I click the dropdown in the title bar). I've tried opt-quitting QT, but it still reopens the file every time. How the hell do I tell quicktime that I don't give a poo poo about the movie and I want it gone? I've since deleted the original .avi

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

BobHoward posted:

Fair warning, I've seen plenty of reports that this truly does not work too well in practice.
Yeah - it doesn't. In SL that code and the sparsebundle w/ MAC address name needed to be implemented and it worked fine for me. Now it doesn't. I'd be surprised if it was just about getting a 'new' protocol finalized that other devices could use, to be a viable solution. "Think Different" has pretty much become, "Do As We Say".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I've upgraded to Snow Leopard (finally), and now that I'm ready to go Mavericks, I want to make sure I should.

I meet the minimum requirements, but here's my computer profile:

Model: MacBook5,1
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB