Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
If the server won't come back, perhaps it may be time for a bunch of drunk goons to descend on an unsuspecting server with some random gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Doji Sekushi posted:

If the server won't come back, perhaps it may be time for a bunch of drunk goons to descend on an unsuspecting server with some random gimmick.

Try to look as 80s or 90s as possible and everyone takes the name of a song from then?

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Doji Sekushi posted:

Well we got the server working. It's a bit wonky but it's holding up.

Honestly after tonight's screw up I wanna try again tomorrow. I'll setup an event for tomorrow about an hour early.

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 16, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Saturday Evening Serious Business

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I must have died and gone to quickfix medic heaven. 4 soldiers, and all of them knew how to rocketjump into buffed heavies and get us both killed. Still better than never rocketjumping at all. :colbert:

Also I learned that even heavies can get up on this ledge on upward which I previously thought only accessible to soldiers and demos.

Section Z posted:

Silly question. Is it me or are there a million less Valve servers than there were before Halloween "Let's see, Valve attack defense... two servers."

Also it is very surreal fighting an enemy team where half of them are high five tauntsliding everywhere as they kill poo poo or medigun.
I favorite Valve servers so I don't have to fiddle with the general browser. If I check my favorites from steam it's utterly polluted with Dota 2 and CS:GO Valve servers, but I don't play either of those games. So that's where those servers went, migrated to other games.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What's your favorite team?

Given the choice I always pick BLU.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
It depends on what class I want to play.
Medic, Soldier, demo = doesn't matter
Pyro, Regular Engineer = Red for defense
Scout, Gunslinger Engineer = Blu for offense.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
My favorite color is red, so I usually throw down for RED. Of course, it really doesn't matter which side as long as there are cool players to bust heads and shoot the poo poo with on my team.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I prefer to attack on attack defend maps but other than that I go random.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Crafting hats suddenly stopped working for me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I go attack if I can help it; I hate the 20 second respawn time you get on some defense maps/stages. But I mostly play KOTH or CP anyway.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I prefer defense myself. I just like playing defense and doing my best to stop the fast-respawn blu horde from gaining any ground.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Defense suits more my style of playing "aggressive support" with kritz, buff banner, and similar options. I also don't get bored staying back and watching the base as engie or pyro so that helps.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
You've probably seen me on a server, my calling card is "Defending is for suckers".

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nobody on BLU team made an attempt to push through the spawn camp or try an alternate route. Nobody thought "hey, this Demoman on our team killed a third of RED team somehow, I wonder what he did?" Instead, they all just hung out by the spawn door whining about how unfair the map is and how impossible it is to break a spawn camp.

I was playing 2fort and some guy was throwing a fit because he was getting spawn camped on the battlements exit. People on both teams (including the guys spawn camping him) told him he could just go through drop-down but he refused.

edit: And he kept calling everyone asshats as that was apparently the only insult he knew.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Spacedad posted:

I'll be back in about 2 weeks or so - send me lots of good luck vibes because if things go well there'll be a huge thing.

All the good luck vibes. :shobon:

--

As for FNFH, it was the server that messed up and not me? I assumed my system or connection was to blame since often i get kicked and my cable modem resets itself for some unknown reason while playing tf2. Doesn't happen when I play anything else though.

Ariong posted:

Oh my yeeeesssssssss.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 16, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ahh, now we're going places. The guy who did that neat comic for the Grisly Gumbo workshop item assembled a crack team to SFM-ise it for the Saxxies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqJjs09CeM

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It'd be cool if that pot were an all year thing and it had that pyrovision version for pyro vision mode!

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

As for FNFH, it was the server that messed up and not me?
Server crashed, took too long to fix, trying again tonight. In other words:

Ariong posted:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
What would be the cheapest/fastest way of finding 5 unique Holy Mackerels? Scrap.tf seems to be out of them, and all the dispenser.tf guys want a scrap for each.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thank god for server issues. My internet decided to implode last night.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

CoolCab posted:

What would be the cheapest/fastest way of finding 5 unique Holy Mackerels? Scrap.tf seems to be out of them, and all the dispenser.tf guys want a scrap for each.

Just pay a scrap each? I doubt you're gonna find anyone with more than 1 or 2 for sale to give you a bulk deal for <1 scrap per item.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Minisentrychat: what if they reduced its ammo by 2/3, down to 50. That way it would still be just as useful when it's just built, but you can't plop one down and expect it to keep an area locked down. It still provides a strong distraction, you can still use it to control low-traffic areas, and you can still use it as an early-warning alarm for the rest of your nest. What you can't do is lock down high-traffic areas indefinitely without devoting a lot of attention to your sentries, either reloading them or just replacing them. I guess this might be a bit of a nerf to the Frontier Justice because it'd be hard to rack up lots of kills on a single sentry, but that's the price you pay for a minisentry nerfs.

If you don't want to look, minis do 8 damage per shot, so this takes their damage potential from 1200 down to 400, plenty to be a huge nuisance but low enough that a Bonk Scout or a food Heavy can tank it out relatively easily, and any power class with a pocket Medic would be inconvenienced but not stopped outright.

Thinking about messing with buildings' ammo gave me a sapper idea too, the Support Sapper:
+ +300% sapper health (8 wrench hits or 4 homewrecker hits)
+ deals 5 damage to attacker
- 90% reduction in damage dealt to buildings
! unique sounds, including shock sound when attacked

You pretty much won't be taking out buildings unassisted with this sapper, but if you get all the buildings they're not getting released until the Engineer chooses to take a total of 120 damage. It also means you're an infinitely higher-priority target than your sappers are, so watch out!!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Abyssal Squid posted:

Minisentrychat: what if they reduced its ammo by 2/3, down to 50. That way it would still be just as useful when it's just built, but you can't plop one down and expect it to keep an area locked down. It still provides a strong distraction, you can still use it to control low-traffic areas, and you can still use it as an early-warning alarm for the rest of your nest. What you can't do is lock down high-traffic areas indefinitely without devoting a lot of attention to your sentries, either reloading them or just replacing them. I guess this might be a bit of a nerf to the Frontier Justice because it'd be hard to rack up lots of kills on a single sentry, but that's the price you pay for a minisentry nerfs.

If you don't want to look, minis do 8 damage per shot, so this takes their damage potential from 1200 down to 400, plenty to be a huge nuisance but low enough that a Bonk Scout or a food Heavy can tank it out relatively easily, and any power class with a pocket Medic would be inconvenienced but not stopped outright.

Thinking about messing with buildings' ammo gave me a sapper idea too, the Support Sapper:

You pretty much won't be taking out buildings unassisted with this sapper, but if you get all the buildings they're not getting released until the Engineer chooses to take a total of 120 damage. It also means you're an infinitely higher-priority target than your sappers are, so watch out!!

I would just reduce it's turning speed. That way direction and positioning are super important and a well placed ambush gun can provide amazing area denial, but plopping it down anywhere in the open (the actual problem with minis) means it can get flanked, bombed over and taken out, or just ran around by Scouts.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

CoolCab posted:

Before scrap.tf came around, the standard price for unique weapons was a scrap. Yeah, it's a 2:1 profit, but you're just buying unique weapons and it's still a negligibly cheap price. You're paying someone for even bothering to sell something so tiny.

Scrap.tf basically introduced no-profit-margins weapons trading, which is obviously way better. But if they're out of what you want, 1 scrap is the price you're gonna find.

CoolCab posted:

I would just reduce it's turning speed. That way direction and positioning are super important and a well placed ambush gun can provide amazing area denial, but plopping it down anywhere in the open (the actual problem with minis) means it can get flanked, bombed over and taken out, or just ran around by Scouts.
That's the best minisentry nerf idea I've ever heard. I would get behind this 100%.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 16, 2013

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

CoolCab posted:

I can get behind that too. I think it's at a relatively good place where it is right now, so something like a dps or health nerf would make it useless, but anything that makes its utility more situational would be great. Though I'm still partial to reducing its ammo capacity, because 1) it's my idea, 2) it emphasizes the disposability of the things, and 3) c'mon, it's MINI, how can it hold as much ammo as a full sentry, so one good reason in all. Meanwhile if you're pigeonholing it as an ambush weapon, you're giving it a role that regular sentries can fill almost as well but are less annoying at. I'm never giving up my grudge over the time I was killed on Swiftwater by a mini that was completely hidden within a rock. :mad:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Abyssal Squid posted:

This doesn't work that well for a few reasons. For one, the engineer no longer is faced with the split-second choice of whether to go for the spy or the sapper. Normally, the engineer can't out-wrench a spy that repeatedly applies sappers, but they can try and get the sapper off to neutralize a spy trying to knife or gun them. With this sapper, there's no reason to take off the sapper instead of making a beeline for the spy. The engineer has basically all day to kill the spy, and if he were to sit there and wrench the sentry he would be a free kill with a revolver before he could hit it eight times, especially considering that he can lock down all nearby sentries at once with this sapper.

Additionally, the spy could just put on the sapper and gun down the sentry with his revolver to speed it up.

Anyway, the sapper is already pretty good for assisting in base destruction as is, if the team is well coordinated. Or if you are able to yell "SAP IT" at a friendly spy when nearing a sentry nest around the corner. An Ubercharge is better and more reliable at this, but that's the way it should be.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The ammo nerf idea doesn't strike me as all that great since it's pretty much addressing one of the Mini's least offensive attributes. When people have actual, legitimate complaints about minis, stumbling across a forgotten one is rarely part of the equation, and I'm sure most people would prefer them if they were used more like weaker normal sentries, given how many people want to nerf the build speed/cost/short-term durability. And the latter is what was done, in fact, given the HP regen bug(?) was fixed so they're much easier to destroy when first put down.

The turn speed nerf, though.. I think that might be my favorite nerf idea in a long time. It hits the mini right where it stings the most, and makes it so an engineer tossing them down willy-nilly can't rely on them to save his rear end quite as much, while not impairing the other things about it which would just hurt his ability to be in on the action or using it as a portable distraction as opposed to a portable death machine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

A turnspeed nerf would be cool as hell and wouldn't have as much risk in making the thing useless as other things would, yeah.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Forget who came up with it, but the recharge timer suggestion seemed like an even better idea.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really get the minisentry hate. They die really easily, any class can kill one assuming starting at full health. And they don't do very much damage either. I've been running around as scout and gunslinger engie and really the only time minisentries ever pose any threat to me is if I just flat out don't notice them, or if I'm already low on health and some rear end in a top hat with a shotgun would have killed me anyways. Minisentries provide a small amount of constant, consistent damage (since they have perfect accuracy and a high rate of fire) which really only makes them dangerous to people not paying attention or who are low on health. A full health pyro can straight up w+m1 kill a minisentry unless he starts running from like, the exact edge of a minisentry's range (as opposed to, say, turning a corner into a minisentry) and a scout can absolutely kill a minisentry as long as he doesn't mind losing some health getting right up close for a couple of point blank shots. Yeah an engie can poo poo out minisentries at an absurd rate but that doesn't mean much if one soldier thinks to launch a rocket at it while it's still constructing. Personally i think with the removal of the healthregen while building minisentries are in a really nice place right now, where they let an engineer play aggressively but, to me at least, don't really feel overpowered at all.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

dhamster posted:

Anyway, the sapper is already pretty good for assisting in base destruction as is, if the team is well coordinated. Or if you are able to yell "SAP IT" at a friendly spy when nearing a sentry nest around the corner. An Ubercharge is better and more reliable at this, but that's the way it should be.

In pubs, the only reason Ubercharges are better/more reliable then spies at base destruction is because the enemy team runs from ubered players, and there's a medic setting tempo behind the push. Any spy who uses teamspeak to say ''I'm going to sap the lot in 5 seconds'' or who waits until he sees a few players coming is actually much better at nest destruction; by getting as many sappers out as quickly as possible he screams for the attention of both the engineer and any enemies nearby leaving them to turn their backs on the front and play ''hunt the spy'' for more then enough time for your teammates to flank them to death.

This game winning strategy nets a colossal 0 points, while ''being utterly useless but getting free, meaningless backstabs on clueless, not contributing newbies'' gives you 2 per gibbus slain and lets you topscore every time.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

dhamster posted:

This doesn't work that well for a few reasons. For one, the engineer no longer is faced with the split-second choice of whether to go for the spy or the sapper. Normally, the engineer can't out-wrench a spy that repeatedly applies sappers, but they can try and get the sapper off to neutralize a spy trying to knife or gun them. With this sapper, there's no reason to take off the sapper instead of making a beeline for the spy. The engineer has basically all day to kill the spy, and if he were to sit there and wrench the sentry he would be a free kill with a revolver before he could hit it eight times, especially considering that he can lock down all nearby sentries at once with this sapper.

Additionally, the spy could just put on the sapper and gun down the sentry with his revolver to speed it up.

Well the idea is that it's a bigger threat to the Engineer than it is to his buildings, and you get more consistent results but with a lower payoff. With the standard sapper either you get the Engineer and his buildings go down in less than 10 seconds, or you don't and he gets the sappers off and you've accomplished very little or nothing. With this one you get in and get out, and the Engineer has to decide whether to hunt you down or risk making himself more vulnerable while you're still alive, which now that I put it that way makes it sound really annoying to deal with as an Engineer. Besides, the Spy is supposed to be the high-risk, high reward class what with having backstabs and the stock sapper. Still, I'd like to see another sapper option sometime, something that does something really wild.

Midnight Raider posted:

The ammo nerf idea doesn't strike me as all that great since it's pretty much addressing one of the Mini's least offensive attributes. When people have actual, legitimate complaints about minis, stumbling across a forgotten one is rarely part of the equation

It's not about running into an old mini that you forgot about, it's about lowering its total damage output and reducing its sustained firing time. 1200 damage over 25 seconds is enough to seriously slow down a team for a long time, while 400 damage over 8 seconds is enough to distract people and even kill a couple of them but is easily dealt with. An uber completely negates it, as does Bonk, and an overhealed Heavy can disable it just by tanking the damage. It makes taking out the Engineer rather than the sentry a lot more productive because even by dying to the minisentry you weaken it substantially.

It could go along with a turn speed nerf too, they do completely different things. Changing the turn speed makes it more vulnerable to attack if carelessly placed, while reducing its ammo capacity changes it from a fragile wall into a speed bump no matter where it is, forcing the enemy to slow down but not necessarily stop completely. It would be kind of like a stickybomb launcher that can only have two active stickies at once, which now that I've said it sounds kind of interesting too. In any case, even with both nerfs it would keep its current effectiveness in a lot of situations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Kins posted:

Ahh, now we're going places. The guy who did that neat comic for the Grisly Gumbo workshop item assembled a crack team to SFM-ise it for the Saxxies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqJjs09CeM

The person making the music for this is my buddy who worked with me and Zoolooman on Saxton's Six! :haw:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

One of the things I like about minis are that when I'm playing engineer I can just drop one and people just forget that I exist. Like, I would have just had a pyro running after me, I drop a mini sentry, and he just stops and focuses entirely on it, and not the texan man with a shotgun.

What I'm saying a big reason minis are so useful is because people just don't know how to properly react to them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I used to be really terrible at landing sandman balls and cleavers as a scout. Then I spent a lot of time playing with the loch-n-load and the direct hit, and my aim with them is WAY better. Leaping at a heavy from above, hitting him with a sandman ball in mid-air, landing as your cleaver lands and then finishing him with a shot right to the head is so goddamn satisfying. In fact there's nothing I like more than completely destroying some pubbie heavy. The only thing that comes close is killing snipers.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't really get the minisentry hate. They die really easily, any class can kill one assuming starting at full health. And they don't do very much damage either. I've been running around as scout and gunslinger engie and really the only time minisentries ever pose any threat to me is if I just flat out don't notice them, or if I'm already low on health and some rear end in a top hat with a shotgun would have killed me anyways. Minisentries provide a small amount of constant, consistent damage (since they have perfect accuracy and a high rate of fire) which really only makes them dangerous to people not paying attention or who are low on health. A full health pyro can straight up w+m1 kill a minisentry unless he starts running from like, the exact edge of a minisentry's range (as opposed to, say, turning a corner into a minisentry) and a scout can absolutely kill a minisentry as long as he doesn't mind losing some health getting right up close for a couple of point blank shots. Yeah an engie can poo poo out minisentries at an absurd rate but that doesn't mean much if one soldier thinks to launch a rocket at it while it's still constructing. Personally i think with the removal of the healthregen while building minisentries are in a really nice place right now, where they let an engineer play aggressively but, to me at least, don't really feel overpowered at all.

The problem with minisentries is that they're way too good on certain maps (anything with big open spaces with great coverage, like the first several stages of Upward, Hightower, Doomsday, and pretty much any KOTH map) because a minisentry up for even 2 seconds is going to find a target for those two seconds, will have an engineer with a shotgun and +25 health at max two seconds away, and will always cover at least one (probably several) retreat paths to healthpacks, and if it's destroyed (a tiny target shooting you to screw up your aim and probably quite far away) the Engineer can just throw down another one almost instantly.

This shuts down a bunch of class critical movement abilities, severely penalizes the faster and short range classes, occupies Snipers and Spies (who are forced to break their cover) endlessly, leading them to be countersniped or otherwise ambushed. Since all of these things are utterly critical for the balance of these maps (particularly on KOTH) and for a number of loadouts and attack strategies a single competent Gunslinger engineer forces the other team to play either good-at-Gunslinger killing classes and loadouts (which are often really loving boring) or suffer a significant handicap, and probably lose.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Texas man with a shotgun can be avoided by staying a couple of meters away, assuming they can even hit you, and going after them has no guarantee of success. Minis are relentless aimbots that sit still, and if you go after them right away you can stop them ever damaging you.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Stock Demo and Soldier aren't boring, though.

I'm going to state a controversial opinion here: people don't like the minisentry because it prevents them from going onto a KOTH pub and being a one-man-army superstar. Any amount of team coordination will shut a Gunslinger Engineer down and make the minisentry not much more than a small distraction while a sub par combat class tries to plink at you with a sidearm shotgun.

This isn't even a case like the Heavy where teamwork doesn't always overcome them; when it comes to a minisentry, all it takes is a single Soldier or Demo to shoot vaguely in the direction of the thing in order to deal with it and render that Engineer defenseless. As much as I love dominating on KOTH maps, it's important to realize that the minisentry is designed primarily as a distraction and secondarily as a way of punishing soloing players.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Well the idea is that it's a bigger threat to the Engineer than it is to his buildings, and you get more consistent results but with a lower payoff. With the standard sapper either you get the Engineer and his buildings go down in less than 10 seconds, or you don't and he gets the sappers off and you've accomplished very little or nothing. With this one you get in and get out, and the Engineer has to decide whether to hunt you down or risk making himself more vulnerable while you're still alive, which now that I put it that way makes it sound really annoying to deal with as an Engineer. Besides, the Spy is supposed to be the high-risk, high reward class what with having backstabs and the stock sapper. Still, I'd like to see another sapper option sometime, something that does something really wild.

The problem is that the sappers aren't going to come off in time if the engineer is being pressured, so instead of running away the spy can gun down the engineer and his sentry with relative ease if he tries to take the sapper off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuddlenaps
Dec 9, 2012

o bother
Minis are still less stupid than airblast.

What time is SSB (Saturday night serious bizness)??

• Locked thread