Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So whats the deal with veteran battlepacks? I own BF3 and I didn't get one. I also have BF:BC2 on Steam, is there any way to link that over/have it recognized somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

John Magnum posted:

Jesus. People have said, right, that you can use the M249 on the go? As in not aiming it down a hallway and slapping down the bipod? I have had absolutely zero success with this whatsoever. Really annoying.
Aim better? I have never even attached a bipod to my M249 (nor do I ever go prone, or, for that matter, hang out in a hallway) and I have 13.68% accuracy.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So why the gently caress would I ever use the IGLA over the Stinger?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Tracula posted:

So whats the deal with veteran battlepacks? I own BF3 and I didn't get one. I also have BF:BC2 on Steam, is there any way to link that over/have it recognized somehow?

Veteran battlepacks don't work right now. Only a small portion of the player base managed to get them on day one.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So why the gently caress would I ever use the IGLA over the Stinger?

Longer range, can re-acquire after flares, can be used for two simultaneous hits.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Liberatore posted:

Veteran battlepacks don't work right now. Only a small portion of the player base managed to get them on day one.

Longer range, can re-acquire after flares, can be used for two simultaneous hits.

Wait I can fire one, reload, reacquire lock, fire the second, and then both will track to target? How much longer range?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I'm new to bf4, although I did play bf3 for 9 hours, and bf1943 for years. I prefer using my controller as a preference, but will that put me at a strong disadvantage?

I would also appreciate if someone could let me know what the hi-lights of this thread have been, that might make my experience more rewarding.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CountingWizard posted:

I'm new to bf4, although I did play bf3 for 9 hours, and bf1943 for years. I prefer using my controller as a preference, but will that put me at a strong disadvantage?

It will put you at an incredible disadvantage if you're doing anything but flying helicopters or planes.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

John Magnum posted:

Jesus. People have said, right, that you can use the M249 on the go? As in not aiming it down a hallway and slapping down the bipod? I have had absolutely zero success with this whatsoever. Really annoying.

Don't rambo it. 4-5 round strings at a distance, 8-round up close. Potato/stubby grips and max 2x sights. It's a death machine like no other. The only time you should lean on the trigger is when you're spraying down littlebirds.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Wait I can fire one, reload, reacquire lock, fire the second, and then both will track to target? How much longer range?

Stinger is 350, I think the IGLA is 450

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

Liberatore posted:

is this a thing? is it being worked on, or ignored/forgotten

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Holding locks with the IGLA owns. Really puts you right there, ON THE BATTLEFIELD.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I loving wish I could aim better. I'm pretty bad at aiming in general! I'm at 9.11% accuracy overall. The best accuracy I have with a gun I've used somewhat often is 10.86% with the SG553, and with the M249 I'm at 6.39%. BLURGH. I can try to do more stuff where I practice controlling for recoil in the test range but I'm really inaccurate and "Just aim better" is not super loving helpful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stop giving a poo poo about accuracy ratings.

And any stats in Battlelog, for that matter. They're all either broken or irrelevant.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

Stinger is 350, I think the IGLA is 450

IGLA is 500.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

John Magnum posted:

I loving wish I could aim better. I'm pretty bad at aiming in general! I'm at 9.11% accuracy overall. The best accuracy I have with a gun I've used somewhat often is 10.86% with the SG553, and with the M249 I'm at 6.39%. BLURGH. I can try to do more stuff where I practice controlling for recoil in the test range but I'm really inaccurate and "Just aim better" is not super loving helpful.

Getting high accuracy is less about aiming better and more about catching people in lovely, flat-footed positions where they can neither seek cover nor dodge. Long range pissing contests with a MX4 will ruin your accuracy, obviously, but hitting groups of people or loaded helicopters with explosives will quadruple it. Don't worry about the stat too much.

^^^^^ Thanks! I wasn't sure.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't. At all. I like playing with my friends, and so far, BF4 has been a much better experience than BF3 in this regard.

Team switching is totally down to server configuration. I was playing on a server that wouldn't let you switch to the side that had a higher score (1 ticket difference was enough to trigger it) and also wouldn't let you switch if it made the teams uneven (even by 1 soldier). Pretty much made it impossible to group up with friends.

With the length of time it takes anyone without the game installed on an SSD I really wish they would re instate the "warmup" phase to the start of the rounds (especially on Rush) which they inexplicably dropped with one of the later BF3 expansions. Before I switched to an SSD half the flags on CQ would already be capped when I loaded along with all the vehicles gone, Rush games were a joke. Even after switching I can often load into a game with one Mcom already armed by the one guy who has a ninja PC who loaded before everyone else.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

John Magnum posted:

You don't need a high accuracy to be an extremely effective player at all.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

John Magnum posted:

It really comes down to learning to shoot/control recoil. No one's gonna tell you exactly how to pull down to control bursts, it's just something you learn through practice. With a grip and a silencer, the SAW will only budge upwards a little during the first 3-4 shots, provided you're running EOtech or RDS. Don't fire from the hip unless you're literally 1 foot away from 3 people, as you won't hit poo poo gently caress all with it. Just grabbed it again for a spin, and you are literally unstoppable close range as long as you're ADS, even when moving. Cut through 2 squads in the A buildings on dawnbreaker just slicing around corners and opening up with the beast. At range, 3-4 shot bursts are king-remember that reset time in this game is tiny and that you also have 200 rounds in the box. Burst, burst, burst some more, burst again. Combined with the extra suppression LMGs have, you can usually screw their aim up enough that they can't shoot back anyways. If they fired first, let off a 10-12 burst at them to gently caress over their aim for good, then finish at your leisure.

This can't be stated enough-use the silencer as soon as you unlock it. Makes the drat thing beastly. FYI, my accuracy with it is 10% or so, and that's fine.

P.S. The main accuracy stat doesn't mean gently caress all, as it counts every shot fired from everything. So if you ever get into an MAA or use the boat miniguns, the stat is going to tank anyways.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Thanks for the advice.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Why the gently caress does the game have to crash whenever I'm having an almost perfect round? :qq:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Welsper posted:

They're less bullshit now that they only do 20% each.

poo poo I was wondering why I can't shoot down anything today. :/

Indra
Nov 25, 2005
Where are my pants?
Finally almost done grinding out my Recon weapons, been a drat painful journey so far and i'm not even going to bother trying to get all attachments. Something tells me though that PDW might be equally as painful :/

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indra posted:

Finally almost done grinding out my Recon weapons, been a drat painful journey so far and i'm not even going to bother trying to get all attachments. Something tells me though that PDW might be equally as painful :/

Between the P90, PDW-R, and Skorpion Evo it's a leisurely stroll.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

keyframe posted:

poo poo I was wondering why I can't shoot down anything today. :/
They're still really good; you just have to soften up a target a little more before firing the missiles.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Welp, now I'm only crashing BETWEEN rounds. I even made it through a round of Siege of Shanghai and Dawnbreaker!

PROGRESS! :bravo: :dice:

EDIT: Aaaaand Sound Loop Crash as the tower falls on Seige. Goddamn...this never happened during the beta.

I'll go play some Xcom and Assassins Creed 4 until this rubbish is sorted. :shobon:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2013

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Shima Honnou posted:

Don't listen to other people about the REX, it's literally the ultimate handgun. In fact, the ultimate gun, period. Source: http://battlefieldgoons.com/topkillers?w=m412-rex

It's actually literally the worst gun in the game believe me, it doesn't even have a TTK difference between normal and hardcore

One of the best parts about having our own personal leaderboards is watching goons grind the worst weapons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If you do the worst first all the others are automatically better!

At least that's what I tell myself :smith:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Acquilae posted:

Why the gently caress does the game have to crash whenever I'm having an almost perfect round? :qq:

This gets repeated every page, but you don't lose anything unless the server crashes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Guys, on a scale of EA disasters, where SimCity is a perfect 10, how bad are we talking?

I really want to buy this game just because I hate CoD even during it's good games (and people think Ghosts isn't one of those), but...

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Despite being fuckawful as a sniper I rather enjoy using the three-dot laser I got from a battle pack in the default bolt-action. I can't help but feel like the goddamn predator every time I get a kill.

Craptacular! posted:

Guys, on a scale of EA disasters, where SimCity is a perfect 10, how bad are we talking?

I really want to buy this game just because I hate CoD even during it's good games (and people think Ghosts isn't one of those), but...

It seems like a bit of a crapshoot. For me the game has run almost perfect all the time. I've gotten a crash or two here and there during my playing but whatever, it'll happen with any game. If it runs fine people are probably gonna be a bit quieter but if something goes wrong people are gonna rattle loudly. It's hard to say. I can give it a recommendation because it works for me fine and I like the way it plays :shrug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Late to SLAMchat and DMRchat;

I love tossing out a grouping of 3-4 slams in well travelled locations, and scoring a multikill 5 minutes later.

My best SLAM kill was walking up to a 2 person tank, and throwing on some Slams.

The driver jumped out and I domed him, but the gunner didn't notice I guess?

So I walked back into cover and shot the SLAMs, killing him and the tank. (I guess a SLAM won't activate if there isn't a driver?)

As for DMR's I am having great success with them. Have out shot many a sniper, and the ACOG seems pretty good even in CQB.

For extra hilarity throw a suppressor on it and laugh as you snap off shots and watch people go nuts.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

General Battuta posted:

This gets repeated every page, but you don't lose anything unless the server crashes.
Yeah I know progress get saved but it would be nice to actually finish a great round.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Here an image from BF4:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Liberatore posted:

Only way you can make that emblem with 20 layers would be by re-creating it more efficiently. You can't possibly make it look remotely as good as that by removing 18 of its 38 layers.

I want to be in Cosby Company but I don't want to give EA more money :shepicide::shepspends:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tobu posted:

Here an image from BF4:

Reminds me, is there some way to turn off that infernal "Featured Today" popup.

So annoying

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sappo569 posted:

Late to SLAMchat and DMRchat;

I love tossing out a grouping of 3-4 slams in well travelled locations, and scoring a multikill 5 minutes later.

My best SLAM kill was walking up to a 2 person tank, and throwing on some Slams.

The driver jumped out and I domed him, but the gunner didn't notice I guess?

So I walked back into cover and shot the SLAMs, killing him and the tank. (I guess a SLAM won't activate if there isn't a driver?)

As for DMR's I am having great success with them. Have out shot many a sniper, and the ACOG seems pretty good even in CQB.

For extra hilarity throw a suppressor on it and laugh as you snap off shots and watch people go nuts.

SLAMs activate only when a vehicle drives by. Given the wonkiness of this game, that includes the tank itself clipping through them when it turbos forward or backward, but they won't detonate on their own, as far as I know.

And on DMR's... just wait till you unlock FLIR on one of them. Game becomes completely different when you're spotting everything and everyone within 200m. I swear I feel like I'm hacking just using the sight: bush, bush, tree, bush, oh look someone's leg is sticking out *pop* Went back to ARs to whore some battle packs and ended up having my second-worst round of the week.

As for the Predator laser and such, I've realized that I am actually really paranoid about using lasers/glinting scopes/lights on weapons, evidently. With how many people I've killed because I saw their laser/flashlight paint a wall while they were still around the corner, it seems more of a handicap than anything. Still want one for my .44 though, so I can :commissar: snipers even harder. Sneaking up on a squad-sized sniper camp and chain-stabbing them or headshotting them with a pistol makes me wish for proximity chat, just so I can tease them just before.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SLAM's are weird, they don't work on personnel which is whatever. I tried mining the trench in Parasol Islands and oddly enough, despite not exactly being a highway for vehicles I managed to kill someone on a quad. That was probably one of my weirdest kills (he had the bomb too I think :haw:)

Welsper posted:

The Five-seveN is God's own sidearm.

How are you guys levelling up sidearms anyway? I had a steady progression in BF3 but I'm still on the Sig P226(4?). Are you hitting the Locker gym and lifting pistols or something?

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 17, 2013

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

How are you guys levelling up sidearms anyway? I had a steady progression in BF3 but I'm still on the Sig P226(4?). Are you hitting the Locker gym and lifting pistols or something?

Pistol servers, HC modes, sneaking up on camping assholes and :commissar: Going pistols-only in an HC server is very viable, long as you stick to close-range situations, since the hipfire on the 226/M9/443 is insane enough that you can just spam-fire them within 20m or so while zipping around too much for the other guy to hit you.

Had a longer post about effective ranges somewhere earlier in the thread, but basically a laser/comp 226 will be deadly in HC if hip-fired out to about 30m, and further than that if you ADS.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 17, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

Pistol servers, HC modes, sneaking up on camping assholes and :commissar:

I usually use those situations to knife em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Naturally Selected posted:

Pistol servers, HC modes, sneaking up on camping assholes and :commissar:

All of these, sometimes at the same time.

• Locked thread