Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Can anyone give me a recommendation on a good automatic CQC secondary? I'm using a tricked out Locomotive as my go to second right now, but I'd like to give something with more dakka a spin.

More specifically, how's the Krinkov? Since my primary of choice is the AK.762, I'm having morbid fantasies about smashing around a bank armed with two AKs.

It's awful. No more damage than the P90, less accurate, less ammo and less total damage per magazine than the Para or P90 because of the much smaller magazines so it's worse on dozers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Carecat posted:

It's awful. No more damage than the P90, less accurate, less ammo and less total damage per magazine than the Para or P90 because of the much smaller magazines so it's worse on dozers.

Also it has the same model as both AK rifles and the Saiga, so unless you have a sight on one its easy to get confused.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really want the Obama mask, but all I have is Nixon. :argh:

Chairman Maow
May 2, 2013

The Theory of Katmunism can be summed up in a single sentence:
Abolition of Private Cheezburgerz

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Can anyone give me a recommendation on a good automatic CQC secondary? I'm using a tricked out Locomotive as my go to second right now, but I'd like to give something with more dakka a spin.

More specifically, how's the Krinkov? Since my primary of choice is the AK.762, I'm having morbid fantasies about smashing around a bank armed with two AKs.

I used it long ago before the accuracy changes made automatic weapons have accuracy worth a drat. Agree P90 or para are both better since then.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:siren: If you are opening ANY doors on the train, you are doing it wrong!:siren:

As I mentioned above, current collision bugs on the traincars let players pick up the turret and every single ammo canister without opening any darn thing. Take care of the guards on the exterior and you're good to go. All you'll need is one player with fast hands to jump up and grab the ammo on the upper shelves.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah guys, stop trying to play the game for reals and instead cheat for no reason! :argh:

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

:siren: If you are opening ANY doors on the train, you are doing it wrong!:siren:

As I mentioned above, current collision bugs on the traincars let players pick up the turret and every single ammo canister without opening any darn thing. Take care of the guards on the exterior and you're good to go. All you'll need is one player with fast hands to jump up and grab the ammo on the upper shelves.

I'd prefer to do it legitimately. Plus it's funner that way. Done it twice already :).

Even with that I don't understand how that works. Isn't escape not triggerable until after you find which vault has the turret, ie the heli also starts to come?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Foehammer posted:

:siren: Attention train stealthers :siren:

When you open up a train car, there seems to be a random chance that it'll spawn a security guard inside.

This applies to both sides of the same car, so if you open it on one side, verify that it's empty, and then drill the opposite door, you get to see a guard appear out of thin air :)

Anecdotal, but the chance of spawning a security guard seems to be higher when you drill the door rather than ECM / keycarding it.

Edit: My group was able to stealth it on our third attempt, with only one joker.

This happened to us as well - we used a keycard on one side, drilled the other side, and a guard spawned after the drill finished. Open one side of the cars, not both.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Miker525 posted:

I'd prefer to do it legitimately. Plus it's funner that way. Done it twice already :).

Even with that I don't understand how that works. Isn't escape not triggerable until after you find which vault has the turret, ie the heli also starts to come?

The first boat is triggered when you bag the first part of the turret. I totally hear you on the fun/unfun part, but until sniper damage, spawnrates, audio cues, accuracy, and, well, everything gets fixed, I feel no shame in running it this way to get those precious cheevs.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whenever your team has 2 + players down and the other 2 have no armor it should go into slow motion and play freebird.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miMqJHnqsxU&t=260s

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 17, 2013

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

DrPlump posted:

Whenever your team has 2 + players down and the other 2 have no armor it should go into slow motion and play freebird.

I'd prefer, "And I raaaaan, I ran so far awaaaaaay. I just raaaaan, I ran all night and daaaaay. I couldn't get away." Probably because of a failed dodge check against a sniper round.

Am I right?

Soral
May 30, 2009

Guess which one is me :sigh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Did they increase the drop rate of the Dilinger, because if not :stare:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I am totally addicted to my build that combines sprinting, suit, armor regen, dodge, and low-threat weapons. Zooming around the map reviving teammates, dropping behind shield walls and taking them all out before they turn around to face me, flanking crowds of enemies, sprinting around guards and cameras on stealth missions. It's the best, and a totally different playstyle. Here's hoping the suit/dodge nerf isn't too severe. Gotta go fast!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I am totally addicted to my build that combines sprinting, suit, armor regen, dodge, and low-threat weapons. Zooming around the map reviving teammates, dropping behind shield walls and taking them all out before they turn around to face me, flanking crowds of enemies, sprinting around guards and cameras on stealth missions. It's the best, and a totally different playstyle. Here's hoping the suit/dodge nerf isn't too severe. Gotta go fast!

Link the build?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

I'd prefer, "And I raaaaan, I ran so far awaaaaaay. I just raaaaan, I ran all night and daaaaay. I couldn't get away." Probably because of a failed dodge check against a sniper round.

Am I right?

Now stuck in my head. drat seagulls! :argh:

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

DrPlump posted:

Someone needs to tweet this to Gfarb.

You should also be allowed to crawl around while in dazed mode with the screen slowly going to black, or better yet gang members should have 1 liners for just before they are taken in/pass out and are captured.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hal_2005 posted:

Someone needs to tweet this to Gfarb.

You should also be allowed to crawl around while in dazed mode with the screen slowly going to black, or better yet gang members should have 1 liners for just before they are taken in/pass out and are captured.

Crawling was the best unofficial feature in left4dead. It was balanced by being unable to shoot while crawling.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It also quickly ate your health, which almost mattered if you didn't have so much.

A little late for Halloween.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Deviant posted:

Link the build?

I would but pd2skills.info appears to have taken a dirt nap. It goes all the way up the MM tree, acing inspire and messiah, grabs nerves of steel from tech, transporter from enforcer, then spends the rest of the points getting as far up the Ghost tree as possible, including the fall damage skill, and the increased sprint/dodge. I think it falls just short of being able to get the silenced weapon damage buff.

Combine that build with suit jacket, a deagle, and a monolith-silenced JP36, and you're on crack. This build will probably falter a good deal when suit and gunslinger both get nerfed, so enjoy while you can.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

OhGreatAGinger posted:

I really like the Mark 10.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think everyone does stealth wrong. Instead of crouching in a corner pointing at guards all day just murder them as fast as you can throwing down ECMs and answering pagers while everyone goes "oh gently caress get that one wait there's a guy over there oh god get him!"

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

FishBulb posted:

I think everyone does stealth wrong. Instead of crouching in a corner pointing at guards all day just murder them as fast as you can throwing down ECMs and answering pagers while everyone goes "oh gently caress get that one wait there's a guy over there oh god get him!"

I did this last night with some goons and we A) got through Framing frames twice successfully and B) had a lot of fun doing it. I think we were able to clear out both the first and last levels in <2min each time.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Kitfox88 posted:

I really like the Mark 10.

Listen to this message for when it comes to CQC. Mark 10 is really hard to top for close quarters as it has the highest DPS of the SMGs at the cost of bad recoil which can be easily mitigated into nothing more than a very minor issue for CQC. It'll never let you down in CQC.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Listen to this message for when it comes to CQC. Mark 10 is really hard to top for close quarters as it has the highest DPS of the SMGs at the cost of bad recoil which can be easily mitigated into nothing more than a very minor issue for CQC. It'll never let you down in CQC.

It's my suitforcer secondary with a totally cut down Mosconi primary. If I see a huge crowd of guys that's when I whip out the 10 and spray around head height for a full mag as I run by. :v: Or save it for Dozers, since shotguns are god-awful against them.

It's insanely easy to blow through your entire ammo stock with it but as long as you're careful it's easy enough to keep topped up with just the ace bonus from Fully Loaded.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have a Kobus 90 with a holographic sight, laser sight and some attachments that raise its damage and stability a little bit and it's very good.

I played for a few hours for the first time in several months and it's really fun but the balance just feels all over the place. Tasers and bulldozers show up seconds into a heist, bulldozers are unbelievably loving stupid and broken, snipers turn on a dime and do enough damage to hurt me through my armor with Bulletproof, there's about five times as many specials as before (one level somebody had 16 specials killed) and the DLC levels aren't consistent in difficulty at all.

Crossroads and Downtown are just ridiculous, you can get hit from three or four sides if you're anywhere near the trucks and that includes from above you on Downtown. I have no idea how my team got 7ish bags of gold on Crossroads on Very Hard but I never want to do it again. With another group we got to the Train Heist but we got shredded by armies of shields and bulldozers that kill you in two hits so we quit after a few tries. Kinda disappointing because it's the only time I've gotten the blueprint after about 12 armored transport levels.

But more importantly should I use my red & black color on this?

edit: Um was that post about trip mines getting nerfed a joke? Because they're the only reason I can tolerate some of this and they don't feel overpowered at all. I don't like to complain about the stuff they change but that is just stupid and not needed if true.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 17, 2013

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Been playing for the past couple of days. I'm pretty bad most of the time and I managed to mess up the escape on a pro job because I didn't know the map. Is there anything I can learn from to be less bad at this game?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I played for a few hours for the first time in several months and it's really fun but the balance just feels all over the place. Tasers and bulldozers show up seconds into a heist, bulldozers are unbelievably loving stupid and broken, snipers turn on a dime and do enough damage to hurt me through my armor with Bulletproof, there's about five times as many specials as before (one level somebody had 16 specials killed) and the DLC levels aren't consistent in difficulty at all.

Crossroads and Downtown are just ridiculous, you can get hit from three or four sides if you're anywhere near the trucks and that includes from above you on Downtown. I have no idea how my team got 7ish bags of gold on Crossroads on Very Hard but I never want to do it again. With another group we got to the Train Heist but we got shredded by armies of shields and bulldozers that kill you in two hits so we quit after a few tries. Kinda disappointing because it's the only time I've gotten the blueprint after about 12 armored transport levels.

What you need to do is, set the drills, find a shop (Some kind of 24 hours store for Crossroads. Go to one of the buildings and stay on ground floor for Downtown.) with enough cover, and hang out there until assault is over. Good idea to bring along a Technician with auto drill restart. Definitely need extra ammo bags and med kits, especially ammo bags since there are just way too many cops around. If you have Feedback on ECM it can be a life saver, but you only need one person for ECM. It does take a long time though, but the money is good for single day heist. And yes you'd want lockpick skill or saw.

As for Train heist, no reason not to do it on stealth tbh. Otherwise it gets way too hard.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Hal_2005 posted:

They yell for help when you shout at teammates while downed to get their attention/call the AI over.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

As for Train heist, no reason not to do it on stealth tbh. Otherwise it gets way too hard.

The fail xp rate for train is like, 35k? It's a beast of a farm by failing, there's no reason to not go bungee jumping off the bridge without a tether if things go tits up.

Or you can just pull the drat turret through the train, toss the bags down off the bridge, and run them to the boat. I have a feeling they're going to patch the gently caress out of that mission: nerf the fail bonus, the through-walls pulling of items(they didn't learn from Dogs Day 1?), and all this before they reign in the spawn rates and the sniper bullshit, most likely.

I found that there's no easy way to farm the train, the spawn rate for intel is actually kind of low. Real fast to grind failing train; it takes at most 60 seconds if everyone is dedicated, wearing suits, and sprints to a high point to jump off the bridge.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So I really want to get back into this game but the poo poo awful loot drop system discourages me from even trying--level 60 something and still zero non-acog weapon sights--and apparently now the game is also unbalanced as hell? I quit when they cut payouts by like 90% and called it a "bug."

Have they really continued down the path of making the game stupid and not fun with overpowered enemies and underpowered weapons? Also does that "lua fairy" thing still work or will I get banned?

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

So I really want to get back into this game but the poo poo awful loot drop system discourages me from even trying--level 60 something and still zero non-acog weapon sights--and apparently now the game is also unbalanced as hell? I quit when they cut payouts by like 90% and called it a "bug."

Have they really continued down the path of making the game stupid and not fun with overpowered enemies and underpowered weapons? Also does that "lua fairy" thing still work or will I get banned?

I lua'd myself all the weapon mods a few months ago. No bans yet.

I wouldn't say it's unbalanced, but it can be very hard on OVK difficulty at times.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There's no reason for Overkill to care if you cheated your way to level 100 and a billion dollars. It doesn't affect anyone's enjoyment other than your own, and there's no cash shop that you're circumventing. If they ever ban people for LUAing their way to stuff I'd be really surprised.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Train is hands down the best way to grind xp right now, if you are trying to level up.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

yeah, at this point it isn't really "ruining enjoyment" since playing a game for 40 hours without getting a weapon sight isn't really enjoyable. A few games like Borderlands 2 I managed to get another 100 hours or so out of by monkeying around with cheat engine and whatnot, I guess I'll look into it with PD2.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

yeah, at this point it isn't really "ruining enjoyment" since playing a game for 40 hours without getting a weapon sight isn't really enjoyable. A few games like Borderlands 2 I managed to get another 100 hours or so out of by monkeying around with cheat engine and whatnot, I guess I'll look into it with PD2.

Yeah, wasn't saying it would RUIN your enjoyment or anything - just that it affects nothing but how you enjoy the game. As you say, if you really want a particular component or skill and you're finding the grind tedious then it affects your enjoyment positively to cheat the poo poo out of it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

edit: Um was that post about trip mines getting nerfed a joke? Because they're the only reason I can tolerate some of this and they don't feel overpowered at all. I don't like to complain about the stuff they change but that is just stupid and not needed if true.

I very much doubt it is. The thing we don't know is whether or not a specced out tech can still take them down in one mine. If not, it very much decreases the viability of trip mines. Which is likely the case since Overkill seems to be all about "UNF DEAL WITH IT".

Devian666 posted:

Been playing for the past couple of days. I'm pretty bad most of the time and I managed to mess up the escape on a pro job because I didn't know the map. Is there anything I can learn from to be less bad at this game?

Follow the other players? Or additionally go into the Payday 2 Goons steam chat and try a group there. You'll start to learn where good spots are to hide on escape maps aside from Garage Escape which is just beating the clock. Since you're newer at the game I doubt you have particular skills like fast hands and transporter. The 8 point investment into these two skills make a tremendous difference when you're trying to move any number of bags. With Transporter aced and aside from heavy bags like gold or guns it's actually quicker to throw the bag, run, and pick up back up.

Lua still works. I doubt they will ban you for it. Not that I've paid attention to their discussion boards but I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for it before. I completely understand your complaint because after having probably 110 hours in the game and being level I think 97 or 98 I finally got a shotgun silencer. Still no shell rack for my Reinfeld.

If the last time you played was during the payout bug, then yes you will notice a marked difference. More specials spawn, snipers do ridiculous damage, they put in the broken first responder cops that knocked your armor off in one hit as a regular unit (white beat cop with big silver gun in hand), there are drum mag Saiga dozers, and shields give other units sort of a confidence boost so that they move in on you in a group. So a bulldozer who wouldn't come in and assault you before would with a shield around. I'm not sure if I missed any other big changes.

I wouldn't call it unbalanced but they seem to be going on the deep end of balance and gearing their game towards minmaxing poopsockers who probably have 500+ hours in this game.

It's quite lovely how reactionary Overkill is being with their balance. Pretty much every time people have found a new popular build, Overkill has nerfed it so that it isn't as viable. Except for ghosts since they're mostly passive skills and the ghost tree is criminally bad already.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

That's really my problem, yeah. They seem really focused on reducing the effectiveness of whatever the new flavor of the moment build is without really thinking about it.

That and the fact that the moment a beneficial player bug is found they'll hotfix the poo poo out of it but leave bugs affecting cops in for a week or more. It's really baffling and more than a bit irritating. :negative:

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

averox posted:

I wouldn't call it unbalanced but they seem to be going on the deep end of balance and gearing their game towards minmaxing poopsockers who probably have 500+ hours in this game.

It's quite lovely how reactionary Overkill is being with their balance. Pretty much every time people have found a new popular build, Overkill has nerfed it so that it isn't as viable. Except for ghosts since they're mostly passive skills and the ghost tree is criminally bad already.

This is a bit too far. The game's more challenging, sure, but I'm level 75 and never play anything other than overkill, and while it's a challenge you don't have to be a total sperg to do well. Think about how the game was before on a typical bank heist: Anything coming within 20ft of the bank would be oneshot by a mosconi blast through the window, sniper shells would be completely ignored and bulldozers would dither endlessly across the street. Since the mosconi nerf I've found myself using loads of different weapons depending on mood, snipers now require you to take proper cover (except on a few maps where the respawn rates are retarded and broken), helldozers are something you can't just magdump in a few seconds on your own, shield pushes make the AI actually assault during assaults, and magnum cops are something you need to keep your eyes open for because they will gently caress you.

It's not become outrageously difficult on overkill, they've just made it so you have to be on your toes. I'm fine with that, since it's a game about beating up armies of cops, not ~optimal experience gain aventure~

E: Train heist's really poorly-conceived though.

Crewmine fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like a challenge but I also like having fun. The game did become a joke quickly as everyone got around level 30-40. The shotgun changes were what the game did need but don't forget that SMGs and rifles got a huge buff as well. The reason everyone went to the Mosconi is that the other three classes of weapons were just flat out weak and a huge design mistake on their part.

If by helldozer you mean the saiga dozers, depending on your build you can still go up and magdump if your threat is low enough. They're a welcome change that will come and ruin your poo poo. I do like the shield pushes as well because before all they used to do was sit outside and be the lone unit after an assault ended but now they have an actual purpose. Magnum/bronco cops I still feel are dumb and cheap. Why not go ahead and make them a ground unit mobile snipers that rapid fires because that's what they are?

Kitfox88 posted:

That's really my problem, yeah. They seem really focused on reducing the effectiveness of whatever the new flavor of the moment build is without really thinking about it.

That and the fact that the moment a beneficial player bug is found they'll hotfix the poo poo out of it but leave bugs affecting cops in for a week or more. It's really baffling and more than a bit irritating. :negative:

At the same time I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was their lovely method of collecting data and opinions from gamers on the presumable new OK145 mode or whatever. Bronco cops were definitely a mistake that this horrible Payday2 community loved so much that Overkill ran with it. But the mega increased spawns? Shield phalanxes? Crossroads the only time I did it on OK I had probably 2 or 3 snipers trying to lock on me.

This stuff even boils down to achievements. I'm not an achievement hunter but I do like getting them if possible. All of the new achievements are grade A grindfests. They're designed for particular group of fans who feel the need to grind out and get a mask and then to get the achievement that is associated with it.

The design changes are likely going to change what is a pretty fun game into a turd because they're listening to a hardcore minority as opposed to a fun having majority. See: Dungeon Defenders or Killing Floor

averox fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 17, 2013

• Locked thread