Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

RIP, guys. We've forced the Temple Ship into orbit, your deaths haven't been in vain. :unsmith:

e; oh what the gently caress, I just noticed the amount of photographs and shot glasses gets larger with each death. :smith:

Welcome to X-Com. Where your nameless gorms with no background at all are so much more fleshed out and developed them any RPG NPC given to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Is there any reason other than XP to do the Canada fishing village council mission as it was said you get no rewards and no corpses?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

A thin man just tried to poison my sniper only to be declared that he was immune. He's not holding any items. Could that always happen?
Is he in Titan armor? Other than that, I don't think anything but respirator implants or medkits make you immune to poison.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
A sniper can be pretty handy in Newfoundland if it's got Squadsight and you destroy the walls of the boat. Park it on top of the little tower on the dock and the distance plus height advantage should lead to solid hits every turn. If you don't have the ordinance to get rid of the walls you can probably still get good shots through the two doorways and you'll have line of sight on any Chryssalids that get cute and try to jump to the upper deck after whoever's hitting the button.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I didn't have squadsight yet.

Carecat posted:

Is there any reason other than XP to do the Canada fishing village council mission as it was said you get no rewards and no corpses?
Doing it right was cooler than anything in the base game?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I stand by my belief that failing the Canada mission should result in more Chryssalid spawns on all maps. :colbert:

Rookersh posted:

Welcome to X-Com. Where your nameless gorms with no background at all are so much more fleshed out and developed them any RPG NPC given to you.

Yeah, haha. I was a pretty big roleplayer as a kid with all the DnD books and ungodly amount of time spent on RP servers in MMOs and the like. Now I can live through these dudes, forming narratives via context and experience rather than linear story telling. I'm too attached to my pretend lady dudes.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Is he in Titan armor? Other than that, I don't think anything but respirator implants or medkits make you immune to poison.

Ghost armor also makes you immune to poison, strangulation, and fire now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rookersh posted:

Tell me about it.

My first foray into the expansion, and my Argentinian Support Corporal, Carlos Santiago, volunteered for cybernetic enhancements. This hulking spanish speaking mechanical gentle giant, earned a field promotion afterwards, was automatically nicknamed 'Chip'.

My sniper earned the nickname 'Nightmare'. The portent mission proved that Squad Sight and a top floor is still a dominant strategy. He is now a decorated sniper adorned with two medals. He may not have "drat good ground", but he has Extra conditioning, should he ever be in a bind.

This is some good poo poo.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 17, 2013

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Fargin Icehole posted:

My sniper earned the nickname 'Nightmare'. The portent mission proved that Squad Sight and a top floor is still a dominant strategy. He is now a decorated sniper adorned with two medals. He may not have "drat good ground", but he has the "Will to survive".

I have a Snapshot sniper with drat Good Ground and all the medals to increase her aim together with In the Zone. Then she got Aggression out of the skill roulette and a skeleton suit. She can hook up to a roof that flanks aliens and have 100% critrate on everything not in cover. The only thing that could make her better was if she got the skill that gave extra damage on crit hits as well :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ravenfood posted:

It's month 2, he's in nothing. He just didn't take any damage. He wasn't holding a scope, not a medkit too, and he's not genemodded or anything. Weird.

On another note these line of sight bugs are starting to piss me off. There's an alien in the open, and I'm on a roof. Every tile can see it. Only one tile I get to shoot at it. All are within my gun's range. And the indicator for explosives lies sometimes. I shot a rocket at an outsider, the indicator splashed it as red, meaning I'd hit it. The rocket blows up in its face and it does no damage. This is why I don't do ironman anymore.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Holy loving poo poo, Mimetic Skin! I'm breaking the early game here, if you arent rushing mimetic skin, consider it. Aspecially with a squadsight sniper. First terror mission: 0 operatives lost, 1 civilian, 0 damage taken.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Hm. I wonder how smart it is that it's entering June and I've only just now got the Gene Lab built and am just starting to research Carapace.

I was focusing on lasers! I don't even have Arc Throwers yet...

But I have Rail Guns. Those are... like Arc Throwers. In a way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sectopods on one side, Chryssalids on the other, Cyberdiscs coming in from the north. Goddammit XCOM this is because I had an easy start isn't it.

BenRGamer posted:

Hm. I wonder how smart it is that it's entering June and I've only just now got the Gene Lab built and am just starting to research Carapace.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BenRGamer posted:

Being late on the Gene Lab isn't so bad - it's got less of an immediate impact than the Cybernetics lab just because you need to do a lot of autopsies for the really good stuff. It seems like it might have been faster to do arc throwers first though, and then capture a sectoid for the beam weapons research credit. Those really help now with how long research takes.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So far my star player this run has been a cheerful Belgian Assault who I immediately renamed Hercule Poirot because I am a giant nerd. He started with 89 aim and 80 will and has been critically wounded twice so far.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 17, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Dongattack posted:

Holy loving poo poo, Mimetic Skin! I'm breaking the early game here, if you arent rushing mimetic skin, consider it. Aspecially with a squadsight sniper. First terror mission: 0 operatives lost, 1 civilian, 0 damage taken.

Yes yes yes, it is way better than MECs at slightly lower cost in meld. Mimetic skin is $75 and 35 meld and you get it as soon as you autopsy a seeker. MECs are $10/10 meld for the trooper and $25/40 meld for the MEC.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
WTF, I load my saved game where my covert operative has already escaped, kill the last Exalt and on the post mission screen he's marked as KIA. Memorial says major trauma (unknown). He survived the mission, there is a green tick on the escape with operative option and the voice over says we rescued him.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This playthrough I intended to stop abusing Squadsight snipers. But a sniper without Squadsight is as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I'm not using snipers at all.

Out of 5 rookies, 4 turned into snipers. :xcom:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

This playthrough I intended to stop abusing Squadsight snipers. But a sniper without Squadsight is as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I'm not using snipers at all.

Snapshot snipers are now actually really good if you use your MECs to destroy cover for them.

edit: I will admit I got my snapshot sniper from an abduction reward that gave me a captain-rank sniper, so I didn't exactly have to level them up much for them to get ITZ and really shine.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

All the high level armors except Psi now provide total protection against fire, strangle, and poison. It's great.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

You're outright crazy if you think snapshot snipers are useless, mine ended a classic ironman run with 90+ kills. The reduced penalty (-10 aim now) combined with the newer urban style maps AND the insane genemods for even more height advantage and jumpy legs makes snapshot much better than squadsight imo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
gently caress it, this run's a bust. Huge panic spiral, mutons are showing up and I don't even have lasers yet. Gonna go back to Normal - I would like to be able to play with the new stuff without the game kicking me in the balls all the time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh I missed that they changed snapshot.

Still, I'm into August now. I used one of the snipers for a MEC and sacked the rest. Stable platform works really well with Overdrive.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

fargom posted:

You're outright crazy if you think snapshot snipers are useless, mine ended a classic ironman run with 90+ kills. The reduced penalty (-10 aim now) combined with the newer urban style maps AND the insane genemods for even more height advantage and jumpy legs makes snapshot much better than squadsight imo.

I'd agree, but my training roulette allowed me to kit a squad sight sniper with holographic targeting, HEAT ammo and double tap. It's basically a constant +10 aim on any and all important targets so the rest of the squad can lay down the pain; Sectopods and mectoids are a lot more manageable now. Sometimes squad sight still wins out.

But yeah generally speaking I prefer snap shot as well.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So EXALT reinforcements occur on a turn timer rather than a number limit. I discovered this when I set up my killzone and EXALT refused to advance--just meandered around the outside of the building. Eventually all sixteen of them were just kind of chilling out there.

Then I poked my head out and they all came swarming at once. Turns out they can actually be dangerous with those kind of numbers.

I'd like to see a mod that dramatically ups the number of EXALT on a mission, and maybe decreases their health a bit to compensate. They are already dramatically outgunned--even their Elites are just mooks compared to a properly-run XCOM Squad--they need a big numbers advantage to pose a threat. That lemming rush into the capture zone might actually be tactically viable if they had a decent number of dudes.

I mean, hell, EXALT on Impossible never brings more than 16 dudes to a mission (in my experience). A mid-size UFO carries 20+ aliens, and you'll kill that many or more on all Council missions. There's something wrong here.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Anyone poo-pooing SHIVs isn't using them right. Their biggest advantage isn't in their firepower, it's their durability + disposability. A SHIV can take multiple heavy plasma hits and keep going, and if you do lose one you're only out ~4 days/double digit credits/double digit alloys. Don't be cautious with SHIVs, dash them behind enemy lines, park them next to Cyberdisks, leave them in the middle of a group of Chryssalids you're going to have to blow the crap out of, SHIVs can take it, and the AI loving can't. At this point in my current Classic game I'm running with a MEC and SHIV on every mission, I'm finishing missions quickly enough that I only bother with picking up Meld canisters if they're the nearest heavy cover for my soldiers (I've only missed out on 1 canister since I've started doing this, and that was one on like, a two turn timer on the other side of the map).

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Tin Tim posted:

Still, the game is really too buggy for me to get back into it.

Okay? You keep posting here about how the game is too buggy to play it.

The vast majority of us are playing the game without any significant issues. Based on what you've posted I think most of the problem is you just sucking at XCOM :smug:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Newfoundland was loving brutal :gonk:

But at least it wasn't a cruise liner :v:

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

Anyone poo-pooing SHIVs isn't using them right. Their biggest advantage isn't in their firepower, it's their durability + disposability. A SHIV can take multiple heavy plasma hits and keep going, and if you do lose one you're only out ~4 days/double digit credits/double digit alloys. Don't be cautious with SHIVs, dash them behind enemy lines, park them next to Cyberdisks, leave them in the middle of a group of Chryssalids you're going to have to blow the crap out of, SHIVs can take it, and the AI loving can't. At this point in my current Classic game I'm running with a MEC and SHIV on every mission, I'm finishing missions quickly enough that I only bother with picking up Meld canisters if they're the nearest heavy cover for my soldiers (I've only missed out on 1 canister since I've started doing this, and that was one on like, a two turn timer on the other side of the map).

I want to give this a shot next game, I loved shivs before EW, but I used two MECs on my last run. Next run will be mec + shiv, leaving more meld for massive gene mods for the rest of the squad asap.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Anyone know how absolutely critical interacts with MECs and SHIVs? I like being able to reliably kill then men with rifles on classic if I flank, but i love robo-punches far more.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Illegal Username posted:

Newfoundland was loving brutal :gonk:

But at least it wasn't a cruise liner :v:

When they finally do the TFTD reboot, I wonder how they will handle cruise liners and the easter island maps.

TFTD was the most :xcom: XCOM. Tentaculats :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Out of curiosity how does deep pockets stack with that one skill that lets you use a medkit three times? Do you get six uses out of a medkit?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ernie Muppari posted:

You can save a lot of assaults who end up in bad situations by parking a SHIV up to serve as a juicier easier-to-hit target, and then suppressing the most dangerous guy in view. With sentinel drone regeneration you can do this multiple times per mission and the SHIV won't mind at all.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I feel like SHIVs and psi abilities took a backseat with genetics and mecs.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity how does deep pockets stack with that one skill that lets you use a medkit three times? Do you get six uses out of a medkit?

No, you get 4. It just gives you +1 to consumables, it's not like actually carrying a second one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RBA Starblade posted:

Just 4 I assume, combining it with Grenadier gives 3 not 4.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

fargom posted:

You've actually made me regret picking squadsight :argh: Come to think of it, my sniper(s) are often unable to fire during a round because they have to move first to get LoS.

Anyway, I'm liking Training Roulette. Just got Zhang and the first random skill I got to pick was Resilience - immunity to critical hits. Feels like it could be a godsend; my original Heavy was one-shotted by a frickin Floater.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, if I remove my Officer Training School (I'm looking for an adjacency bonus) then rebuild it, what happens? Do I lose the abilities I bought?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jng2058 posted:

Hey, if I remove my Officer Training School (I'm looking for an adjacency bonus) then rebuild it, what happens? Do I lose the abilities I bought?

Similarly, if I destroy some uplinks to make room for a nexus (or generators for a bigger generator), what happens? Do you lose satellite coverage? Do buildings shut down without the power until you get it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Similarly, if I destroy some uplinks to make room for a nexus (or generators for a bigger generator), what happens? Do you lose satellite coverage? Do buildings shut down without the power until you get it back?

I dunno about the uplinks, but I do know that the game won't let you remove a generator if it'll cause a power shortage.

• Locked thread