Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

mcpringles posted:

Did someone make a second wii fit gym? I joined lowtax low effort this morning but the creator was the only one in it.

It just kinda does that sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think it only shows active users that day.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

deafmute posted:

Has anyone played Sonic/Mario at Sochi? It's the only game on the system with hockey but Olympic games usually kinda suck so I'm skeptical about it :ohdear:

Dude, it's not worth it. Just play it in America.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Will Mario 3D World be available digitally?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

robodex posted:

Probably starting on midnight the day it releases.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Chaltab posted:

It launches in the US same day as Xbox One. You know that's going to be a fun retail experience, especially in college towns.

I can't pick up my pre-order until Monday morning but at least I won't have to put up with any crowd.

On the other hand it means waiting. Stupid job! :argh:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

robodex posted:

It's basically certain to be going up at midnight EST on Thursday night.

Having a comfy private midnight launch with a download meter I can keep at my desk is one of those little pleasures of this console.

Unless it's a massive download that takes several hours, then I enjoy being able to have it silently download while the console is turned off and I'm asleep.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Ah, good to know. I am considering picking it up (I loved 3D Land) but I also have no desire to go within a mile of any video game store the day it releases :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I remember hearing somewhere Nintendo announced a price cut for Wii U a while in advance. Has the price cut happened yet? I'm thinking of picking one up soon, but if there's a price cut coming I'd rather wait.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cake Attack posted:

I remember hearing somewhere Nintendo announced a price cut for Wii U a while in advance. Has the price cut happened yet? I'm thinking of picking one up soon, but if there's a price cut coming I'd rather wait.

They got rid of the Basic model, then reduced the price of the Deluxe (which is pretty much the only model now) by $50. Then they started putting in other games besides Nintendo Land (current ones seem to be the Wind Waker model or the New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U bundle). So the price cut was just $50 on the Deluxe and adding valve through other pack-in games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

They got rid of the Basic model, then reduced the price of the Deluxe (which is pretty much the only model now) by $50. Then they started putting in other games besides Nintendo Land (current ones seem to be the Wind Waker model or the New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U bundle). So the price cut was just $50 on the Deluxe and adding valve through other pack-in games.

Cool, thanks. 300 for the Wind Waker bundle looks like a pretty good deal, I might just pick that up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mercury Crusader posted:

Given the sales of the basic model, it's effectively a price point for most consumers interests in the product.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I'm doing a system transfer from Wii to Wii U. Why did they make the Pikmin carry all of that poo poo so far? This is taking forever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm doing a system transfer from Wii to Wii U. Why did they make the Pikmin carry all of that poo poo so far? This is taking forever.

Look, just throw them to the Wii U if you want them to get there faster.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

I Might Be Adam posted:

A: Pikmin are cute is why.

B: It probably would take just as long.

C: Pikmin are loving adorable why are you complaining?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dude, it's not worth it. Just play it in America.

This does not go unappreciated.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Is nintendo land not available on the eshop? Kinda weird for a first party game not to support that. I might just look for a cheap one on craigslist.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Is nintendo land not available on the eshop? Kinda weird for a first party game not to support that. I might just look for a cheap one on craigslist.

They pulled it off the eShop recently when they dropped the RRP. I guess they're trying to clear out all the old stock or something.

I don't know why they're so eager to ditch it, honestly; I get that they expected it to be the next Wii Sports and it wasn't, but it's still a well-received game that's sold way more copies than anything that isn't NSMBU. (It also costs less than Game & Wario now, which is mega weird.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

drat, there is nothing about this game that isn't cute as poo poo.
Well they have angry eyes (like American box art Kirby) when they get the mega mushroom. Except Toad just has a frown cause no eyebrows. And Peach looks kinda :geno:

(...somehow managed to edit my post with the Awful app instead of a new reply below :psyduck:)

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 17, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

japtor posted:

I saw somewhere that said it's only like 1.8GB.

But then you don't get this disc!

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I traded in a bunch of old XBOX games at Gamestop and bought a refurbished Wii U and a 1 year replacement plan today.

I was planning on a PS3 but on impulse (and with knowledge of black friday PS3 deals) I went with the Wii U instead.

Someone hold me and tell me Nintendo isn't going to give up on it and stop making games.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chris Christie posted:

Someone hold me and tell me Nintendo isn't going to give up on it and stop making games.
I actually suspect Nintendo is going to up their number of releases in a desperate attempt to bolster sales that won't work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chris Christie posted:

So I traded in a bunch of old XBOX games at Gamestop and bought a refurbished Wii U and a 1 year replacement plan today.

I was planning on a PS3 but on impulse (and with knowledge of black friday PS3 deals) I went with the Wii U instead.

Nintendo probably won't, but I wouldn't expect much from other developers at this point unless it suddenly takes off again.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Commissar Ken posted:

Most of it is much cuter than poo poo. I don't know, maybe other people's poo poo is cuter than mine, but my poo poo is rarely cute at all.

Chris Christie posted:

I'm not going to hold you, Mr. Christie, but I seriously doubt that Nintendo is going to discontinue it before it's at least 4 and a half or 5 years old. It would be a very bad move from a consumer confidence point of view, I think. There are some great games out for it already, and more on the way. Enjoy!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chris Christie posted:

I don't think Nintendo is about to give up on it. I would just say I hope you're satisfied with Nintendo games and if you want something other than their first party offerings, outside of a few gems (that usually aren't exclusive) just prepare yourself to own more than 1 system. That's been my plan with Nintendo systems since the N64 and it's worked out so far. By the time the Wii U is fading, the PS4 and Xbone should drop in price and have good catalogs of their own.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think you may see an accelerated timeline where they try to get their next console out earlier, midway into the PS4/Xbone gen. But for the purposes of maintaining consumer confidence and attempting to find some kind of boost for hardware sales, they're not going to just shut off the software valve.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
Wii U: The Stopgap Console

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo probably won't, but I wouldn't expect much from other developers at this point unless it suddenly takes off again.

Every Wii game I own is first party, so I'm not hugely concerned about 3rd parties giving up.

In addition to what's already out and what's soon to be out (Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong) I just want a new Zelda down the road and a new Metroid.

The only 3rd party games I'm interested in at this point are the Lego games and maybe Sonic Racing even though I already have it on PC.

I just want bright, colorful, easy-on-the-eyes simple games that are reminiscent of NES, SNES, and N64.

I have a hard time seeing fine detail and dark games on the TV in the living room (the Arkham Batman games for example) so I prefer playing them on PC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chris Christie posted:

Every Wii game I own is first party, so I'm not hugely concerned about 3rd parties giving up.

In addition to what's already out and what's soon to be out (Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong) I just want a new Zelda down the road and a new Metroid.

The only 3rd party games I'm interested in at this point are the Lego games and maybe Sonic Racing even though I already have it on PC.

I just want bright, colorful, easy-on-the-eyes simple games that are reminiscent of NES, SNES, and N64.

I have a hard time seeing fine detail and dark games on the TV in the living room (the Arkham Batman games for example) so I prefer playing them on PC.

You'll be fine as long as you're willing to put up with a gap between games then.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

You'll be fine as long as you're willing to put up with a gap between games then.

I'm a stay-at-home dad at the moment and until at least the end of 2015, so the gap between me being able to afford buying new games will trump the gap between releases. The difference between my trade-ins and the purchase price of the used Wii U is going to be my Christmas and December birthday present from Mrs. Christie.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The PS4 looks great and I'm definitely going to get one at some point for MGS5/FFXV/Uncharted but man the launch line up is awful. If I got one today I'd get Resogun, and maybe Battlefield 4 or Killzone. The gap in Wii U games after launch was pretty bad but I don't think either of the new consoles are going to do much better in that regard. inFamous is really the only exclusive I'm looking forward to that's coming out in the next six months. Maybe some of the driving games like Drive Club and The Crew too but I'm not sure when those are released.

Most of the games I'm looking forward to right now are on Wii U. Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros, X, SMT x FE and eventually a new Zelda so I'm pretty happy with the line up right now.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't the gap relatively small for the upcoming months?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The second half of the year for the Wii U has been pretty good. Pikmin, W101, Rayman Legends, Wii Fit U, Mario 3D and a few other 3rd party games. Early next year we have Donkey Kong and Mario Kart, but after that who knows.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I think that the Wii U is going to have good Christmas sales.

Yes, you just heard optimism. :stonk:

View the following points from the perspective of the average person, not a dedicated gamer.

First off, it's $100 cheaper than the PS4, and already has an established library, many of them family friendly games.

Second, the graphics look good.

Third, tablets are cool.

Fourth, all original Wii games and accessories can be used with it.

Fifth, the marketing has picked up some steam. Saying "upgrade to" is reminiscent of the smartphone/tablet market. Also, "Wii" is an established brand. It may not have that obvious gimmick/casual killer app, but people still know the name, which does help.

Sixth, since launch, many of the system's OS problems have been fixed. Not all, but it is faster, fewer freezeups, Miiverse, Wii Street U.

Seventh, there are a variety of high value bundles now being marketed:

And eighth, the system's big guns are finally starting to show up. We currently have Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, & The Wonderful 101, with Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U, and Wii Sports Club right around the corner. And early next year Mario Kart 8 and DKC: TF. Plus, third party isn't THAT bad. EA Sports is MIA, but COD and Assassin's Creed are there, with Watch Dogs coming too.

As far as future sales go, SSBU is shaping up nicely, and Zelda will be shown at E3. "X" has potential as well. Additional fixes to the OS will also help matters, and I wonder if multiple GamePad support will ever see the light of day?

I see this as an N64 situation. High quality first-party compensating for weak third-party, an odd but innovative controller, and graphics that have their shortcomings, but still manage to shine sometimes.

It'll be fine. ;)

Do feel free to rain on my parade...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Well Bayonetta 2, X, and Smash Bros 4 are all supposedly hitting next year as well. Whether that actually happens, we'll see.

SMTxFire Emblem and Yoshi's Yarn are possible too, though I don't think they've been given a release window yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

japtor posted:

(...somehow managed to edit my post with the Awful app instead of a new reply below :psyduck:)

Sorry about that!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I hope everyone is doing their part with horrible drawings for use as Wii Bowling banter:

And suck it blue guy:

pokeyman posted:

Sorry about that!
Well at least my original post is still there in the form of someone else's quote :v:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chaltab posted:

SMTxFire Emblem and Yoshi's Yarn are possible too, though I don't think they've been given a release window yet.

Yarn Yoshi was originally slated for late 2013.

Come on Good-Feel, carry me away from the cold world on wings of patchwork! :unsmith:

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
You guys keep mentioning Rayman Legends; it's not a Wii U exclusive is it?

edit: Nah, I remember renting it for the 360. What's the Wii U version got that the others don't?

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

You guys keep mentioning Rayman Legends; it's not a Wii U exclusive is it?

edit: Nah, I remember renting it for the 360. What's the Wii U version got that the others don't?

It was designed for the wii u. A good portion of the game lets you play as Murphy using the touch screen to interact with levels which is a lot of fun coop. If you play it on any other console when you play as Murphy it's just press a to automatically do poo poo.

It's the only game that if you own a wii u and another console you hands down should get on wii u.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Esk1 posted:

It's the only game that if you own a wii u and another console you hands down should get on wii u.

If I play co-op, which I don't. Personally, having to use the touchpad to do thing vice just pressing a button to automatically have it happen sounds tedious; forcefully bolted-on peripheral functionality which was the Wii's bane to me.

I'll just slide Legends out of the "Wii U games to get" pile, personally.

• Locked thread