Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I don't think it's at all coincidence that the show has been at its most interesting this season when we take a break from Rick. It's like the writers realized they just can't keep Rick interesting so they're increasingly down-playing him. Tonight's outing with Phil seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to the never-ending dreariness of the prison gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ahhh Real Zombies! posted:

It was pretty clear she was a lesbian, since she was talking about some girl.

If you pay attention (HAHA! People in the Walking Dead thread paying attention to the Walking Dead?) there's some small hints in small talk they make. The one I caught was something like "It was great until she said she had a boyfriend and wasn't into girls."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

redweird posted:

Man the Governor went totally berserk in that pit, holy poo poo. I liked this episode, added some character to Gov which was much needed, and I mean really he only killed Andrea and that doctor guy, as well as a bunch of Woodbury citizens. If anything he did us a favour.

I wonder what lengths he will go to to keep his past hidden, or if it will be possible.

I said before they'd either try to fix the character, or kill the character; the show is good about that. Option A is far more satisfying. I really like the idea that he tries to redeem himself. I want him showing up at the prison to be about a cure to the disease or something, not to roll them with more troops, but I think it's more likely something bad will happen that will send him off the handle again instead.

EDIT: Also you think the Gov would have said something about the zombie flipping to the woman when she brought up stage 4 terminal cancer!

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thinking on it some more, it looks like the season is really carrying that "do you get to come back?" theme they talked about the first episode. We've got Rick on the tail end of his resurgence as a leader, we've got Carol's fall and exile from the group, and now we've got this possible redemption arc with the governor. All of them have done things that are a little psychotic at some point, but they've presented the possibility that even someone like the governor may not be too far gone.

I'll be definitely interested to see where this goes, but I'd hate for us to end up in a situation where the governor just builds up a new group of survivors and starts another war with the prison, since we've already been there and done that.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Thought it was a pretty disappointing after last week's episode set expectations sky high. It felt oddly paced, especially in the beginning, and the new characters were mostly just annoying bundles of predictable cliches.

I'll wait and see how this folds into the main plot before writing it off though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Was that Enver Gjokaj in the previews? I hope so because that guy was the single best thing about Dollhouse and he needs tons and tons of work.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did it occur to anyone else watching this episode that part of the script might have been from an "Origins of Woodsbury" story? It'd been easy to write the little girl into the zombie Michonne stabs, etc. Hell, the episode works absolutely perfectly - ending with him meeting his eventual muscle in that pit - if you make the flash-forward when his buddies leave into a flash-backwards to before he met them.

Literally if you picture the events without the eye patch, they still work in that context. I don't know, I could just see this being the merge of two script pitches for that reason. i.e. "What if we took your origin story and moved it into a redemption story instead?"

Vanderdeath posted:

Was that Enver Gjokaj in the previews? I hope so because that guy was the single best thing about Dollhouse and he needs tons and tons of work.

I absolutely agree.

That said the worst thing about Dollhouse was by far the lead actress. Talk about being outclassed by your supporting actors, Jesus Christ. I'm always glad to see most of that supporting cast pop up in other things, but that guy was very impressive in particular.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 18, 2013

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The little girl's questions made me roll my eyes and felt really forced in the writing department, they really didn't need to give her such on the nose lines. And yes, they show a shot of the girl's boot untied and flopping open with the tongue bouncing around before she falls.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
By the time the Governor gets to the prison, there won't be anyone from Woodsbury left. We're down to what, 3 people? Less? Army medic guy isn't from there.

So far the ones gunned down in Woodsbury are the lucky ones.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Think that might've been the best episode of the season if not the series. Show should just switch focus to the Governor. Bonus points if they make Rick and his group the antagonists.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

-Blackadder- posted:

Bonus points if they make Rick and his group the antagonists.

As far as I'm concerned, they are. Governor was always in the right. :colbert:

Anything bad he did was either justified or lovely writing that should be ignored.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This was the Drive of the walking dead

Holy poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Governor was promised spaghetti Tuesday, get that spaghetti-o poo poo outta here.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
I think that was the first natural death I remember seeing in the series. Has it already been established that no matter how you die, you always come back as a zombie? Come to think of it, I saw while the Governor was walking through the old folks home that there the elderly zombie in the hallway, the one in the wheelchair, had no blood or bitemarks on her anywhere.

fake edit: I think I missed an episode, since in a "Last time on The Walking Dead..." in the beginning of an episode Rick said something about "we're all infected" but I want to say it was before the prison outbreak got underway. Can anyone fill this in?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show is doing something really interesting. They can write the Governor and make him redeem himself in the eyes of the viewers, but nothing he can ever do would make main cast accept him. Even if he's now "good" as far as the new people are concerned the moment he shows up at the prison with survivors Rick will just force him to leave and/or have to hold Michonne back to keep her from butchering him in front his new "daughter".

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

dinoputz posted:

I think that was the first natural death I remember seeing in the series. Has it already been established that no matter how you die, you always come back as a zombie? Come to think of it, I saw while the Governor was walking through the old folks home that there the elderly zombie in the hallway, the one in the wheelchair, had no blood or bitemarks on her anywhere.

fake edit: I think I missed an episode, since in a "Last time on The Walking Dead..." in the beginning of an episode Rick said something about "we're all infected" but I want to say it was before the prison outbreak got underway. Can anyone fill this in?

I think you missed a central plot point that has been hammered in again and again for like 3 seasons now. Technically all the flu victims had natural deaths too and they turned. I cant remember other examples but im sure there have been plenty. You dont need to get bit. You die of any cause and if your brain isnt damaged, you awake again as a zombie.

Also does anyone else find it wierd that even old, half decayed zombies still have bright red flowing blood when they get damaged? Throatrip zombie was the worst offender. Shouldnt blood congeal and stagnate within hours? So these zombies have working blood systems and a beating heart or what? Do they breathe? Why can they power themselves indefinitely without digesting anything? Ugh.

The science side of non-magical zombies never make any sense

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Athropos posted:

The science side of non-magical zombies never make any sense

NOOOO?! loving REALLY?!

Well at least you knew that they re-animate no matter what. I don't know how someone could get this far and miss that.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

PootieTang posted:

NOOOO?! loving REALLY?!

Well at least you knew that they re-animate no matter what. I don't know how someone could get this far and miss that.

I just wish they'd make a bigger effort of it. I dunno.

Also dont look at me. I didnt miss that fact about everybody coming back.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

moths posted:

So is she going to be the lesbian that tragically dies or the one that goes flippin' insane?

:rolleyes: Puh-lease. You say that like she's a black man.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Athropos posted:

I just wish they'd make a bigger effort of it. I dunno.

You do understand that there is no such thing as zombies in real life right? Because they're a scientific impossibility? Do tell me how they're supposed to make a 'bigger effort'? Any made up science they use to explain it will just raise even more questions because they are inherently impossible.

Frankly the less time spent talking about the biology of the virus the better. (The CDC episode was a huge pile of poo poo for this reason) (well that and the black chick deciding she was just going to stay there and die because she was tired of waiting for the writers to give her some actual character)

I mean, the only thing you need to know about the zombies is that everyone turns into one, they try to eat you, and you should aim for the head. Anything more than that is just gonna open a can of biology worms.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person

pentyne posted:

This show is doing something really interesting. They can write the Governor and make him redeem himself in the eyes of the viewers, but nothing he can ever do would make main cast accept him. Even if he's now "good" as far as the new people are concerned the moment he shows up at the prison with survivors Rick will just force him to leave and/or have to hold Michonne back to keep her from butchering him in front his new "daughter".

Comic governor is so one dimensional it turned me off from the comic series a good deal. Governor is probably one of the few the times that I want the TV series to do something drastically different than its source material.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Zombie plague begun as a CERN experiment into perpetual motion machines.

It worked.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If anyone wants to know where all the people who don't watch The Walking Dead are, click this thread.

I like sitting down with a character on occasion, and all the better if it's a character of dubious repute. They way I see it, this season is playing out like a well-mixed album: you intersperse your slow and energetic songs so that neither loses its flavor. Last week was high velocity and it was smart to follow with a quiet episode. I especially enjoyed all the false leads sprinkled throughout the episode that set Phil up to murder the family. ("I've got tons of ammunition, don't blow us all up with your drat cigarette, etc.")

This show isn't a masterful work by any means, but I admit I legitimately enjoy it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

dinoputz posted:

I think that was the first natural death I remember seeing in the series. Has it already been established that no matter how you die, you always come back as a zombie?
This. loving. Thread.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Yeah last episode it was something in the air that turned those choked-to-death people into zombies.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Did they ever establish that the zombies are trying to eat people? Maybe they're just going for clumsy hugs!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Maybe that's REALLY what was inside all them oxygen tanks: Zombie gas.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It blows my mind that someone could have possibly watched even half of the series episodes and have missed that everyone is infected regardless of zombie bites. It blows my mind that someone can be watching a season built largely around people dying of a disease and coming back and then view someone dying of a disease and coming back as the first "natural" death they saw just because it was the first "peaceful" death they saw (it wasn't the first in the series). It blows my mind that someone could have missed one of the most central lines and themes of the series in "we're all infected" that was teased from the S1 finale to its reveal in the S2 finale.

My mind is blown.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Here's something that's always bugged me: Who's that mopey kid with the dumb hat that keeps following Rick around?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: wrong thread

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 18, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This episodes was awesome and the Governator Rage Cage will probably be my favorite scene this season. I hope I'm proven wrong, though.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

MeLKoR posted:

To me the idea that someone could kill someone else, claim self defense and not get tox screened is not even ridiculous, it's blowing my mind. Rarely have I felt so much cultural shock as in this thread.

A self-defense claim relies on the person feeling "afraid for their lives", anything that clouds your perception should be ruled out. Why the hell should someone that just killed someone else with no witnesses be taken at their word that they did nothing wrong? Being paranoid or hallucinating should be a factor in deciding if the fear you experienced was reasonable.

If you are sitting on the couch and drinking beer when a couple of intruders burst through your windows no one is going to say your fear was unreasonable but if you blast away the milkman because it looked like the serpents on his head were lunging at you then it's most definitely not a reasonable fear.

"Sorry to bother you officer but could you send someone over to pick up the unharmed girl I just shot through my screen door?" *puts down phone* *does more meth*

Some of you make it sound like having a gun is some sort of disability that police should take extra care not to inconvenience the owner in any way. He killed an unarmed person, before believing that he reasonably feared for his life it would be necessary to know if something could have affected his judgement.
Getting a warrant and tox screening the killer comes to mind right after looking for evidence of violence before the killing.

You know I love to poo poo on people for missing obvious poo poo in TWD but I have no idea what you're on about sir. Did I miss some sort of self-defense shooting sub-plot or something?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Enjoyed that much more than last weeks episode.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

PootieTang posted:

You know I love to poo poo on people for missing obvious poo poo in TWD but I have no idea what you're on about sir. Did I miss some sort of self-defense shooting sub-plot or something?

Oh gently caress, I was browsing this and the Renisha McBride thread simultaneously and hosed up the reply. :doh:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm pretty sure he was in the wrong thread. Sounds like Renisha McBride talk.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

dinoputz posted:

Whatever reanimates the dead, everyone has it. Whenever you die, someone has to be around to inflict massive brain trauma or to break your neck, or you come back. The CDC episode even showed an MRI of what happens to the brain when someone reanimates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX47zIJBxCs

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Illinois Smith posted:

If you watch the episode really closely you can tell that these ladies aren't the most capable bunch in the world

Plus the whole "they've lived in a building with zombies and weapons for all this time but haven't figured out how to kill one yet" thing.

Reading this thread you tell who hasn't spent a lot time carrying heavy back packs.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I said before they'd either try to fix the character, or kill the character; the show is good about that. Option A is far more satisfying. I really like the idea that he tries to redeem himself. I want him showing up at the prison to be about a cure to the disease or something, not to roll them with more troops, but I think it's more likely something bad will happen that will send him off the handle again instead.

EDIT: Also you think the Gov would have said something about the zombie flipping to the woman when she brought up stage 4 terminal cancer!

Yeah, exactly this. I'm guessing Martinez's gang is similar to (or might be the same as) the kid's rape gang from season two, and the Governor tries to go the farm looking to amnesty for him and his new family, that would be pretty interesting.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Das Boo posted:

If anyone wants to know where all the people who don't watch The Walking Dead are, click this thread.

I like sitting down with a character on occasion, and all the better if it's a character of dubious repute. They way I see it, this season is playing out like a well-mixed album: you intersperse your slow and energetic songs so that neither loses its flavor. Last week was high velocity and it was smart to follow with a quiet episode. I especially enjoyed all the false leads sprinkled throughout the episode that set Phil up to murder the family. ("I've got tons of ammunition, don't blow us all up with your drat cigarette, etc.")

This show isn't a masterful work by any means, but I admit I legitimately enjoy it.
I agree with this. Taking a step back from the pretty high intensity of the last episode was a sensible choice in my eyes. Plus, The Gov smashed an old dudes head in with an oxygen tank, that was pretty badass. I'm also pretty curious to find out how New Gov gets along with Old Cronies, since it's the Gov he could be written a few ways at this point without it feeling out of character so maybe a good story can come out of this yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Awesome ep.

I just hope the studio doesn't interfere and tries to force-write the Governor into being a anti-hero who pops up every now and again. Because there is no redemption for him.

His list of crimes is a long and unforgivable one. I mean, the man literally had a custom-made rape dungeon he was personally putting the finishing touches to.

Athropos posted:

Why can they power themselves indefinitely without digesting anything? Ugh.

:psyduck:

LITERALLY two episodes ago with the crazy Irish lady about her zombie husband:

:downs: "He's getting slower and slower. He needs to eat." . It was a drat plot point why the lady was feeding him.

This thread has taught me (and taught me hard) why Dexter narrated really obvious poo poo, loudly and obviously.

• Locked thread