Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Once upon a time, in a land called America, there lived a cartoonist named Charles R. Asay, though his friends called him Chuck. For many years Asay plied his trade, refining his gentle, almost friendly style until the quality of his artwork was rivalled only by the awfulness of his opinions. You see, being a right wing Christian born in 1942, Asay had developed his attitudes toward politics and society in a time when things were not as they are today. As such he firmly believed in the illegality and immorality of a number of things that we take for granted, like proper health care and being black.

In time Asay grew old in the service of his craft, and as old men do he looked back on the golden memories of days gone by and found them infinitely more appealing than the grey and gloomy present where there was in the White House a black man so lazy that in four years he had yet to deliver a single telegram or shine even one pair of shoes. He drew many a cartoon wherein he would contrast the good old days with the terrible times he lived in. Witness his moving tribute in the wake of the 2011 Utøya massacre:

Oddly, few among the younger generation felt that Norway would be improved if all Norwegians were violent killers instead of just one. Nor was this an atypical response to Asay's cartoons, as the members of Generations X, Why? and Zzzzz looked again and again at his work with cynical eyes. Eventually, feeling his wisdom was falling upon stony ground, Asay finally decided enough was enough and retired.

Which is where you come in. Your mission, whether or not you choose to accept it, is to restore the moral compass of the cartooning world by creating new contrasts between the old and the new or between two points of view. In this you are to enlist the aid of Asay's great body of work.

Mission Parameters
  • You are to create a parody of a two-panel contrast cartoon as depicted in the examples above.
  • One panel of this cartoon must be taken from an Asay cartoon.
  • The other panel may be taken from any source you wish. Bonus points may or may not be awarded for using two Asay panels.
  • The contest will close on 1st December 2013 at 2000 GMT, when a winner will be chosen by the Secret Panel of Judges.
  • The prize for the winner is an account upgrade a surprise!
  • All judges decisions are final. This includes the judge's decision in any libel cases resulting from this competition.

It used to be Asay. Now it's YOU.

XyloJW posted:

When Jedit pitched this contest idea to me, I didn't expect it to get this awesome. Originally, the first place prize was going to be an account upgrade of the winner's choice, and an avatar change for second place.

:siren: In light of the super awesome entries, the winner will now be receiving a super awesome prize in real life, provided they don't live in a country that I can't ship to! :siren:

Second place gets the account upgrade, third gets the avatar change.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some additional resources and Asay archives:

http://www.gocomics.com/chuckasay <-- this one goes back to 2003.

http://www.creators.com/editorialcartoons/chuck-asay.html

http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/browse.cfm/ASAYC

http://www.asaydoodle.com/new-toons.html

A few more exemplars of the kind of thing we're looking for: (These are original Asays, not edits!)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 23, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ok, I made this:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Chuck's final cartoon, if anyone wants to go for broke.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Sir Tonk posted:

Chuck's final cartoon, if anyone wants to go for broke.

Looking through comics for the contest, but why did he kill a horse/donkey/mule? Was he hunting ones with his rifle and Jesus?

Or is this cryptic art where we put the puzzle together, like the new Christians know the virtue of shooting donkeys?

Or does it mean that he's trying to imply that he's killed Democrats through their symbol? Is that the message? "Christians, shoot, democrats" is how his wall reads.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

mugrim posted:

Looking through comics for the contest, but why did he kill a horse/donkey/mule? Was he hunting ones with his rifle and Jesus?

Or is this cryptic art where we put the puzzle together, like the new Christians know the virtue of shooting donkeys?

Or does it mean that he's trying to imply that he's killed Democrats through their symbol? Is that the message? "Christians, shoot, democrats" is how his wall reads.

He's also wearing a three-corner hat, I think the message is that the Tea Party killed both the Democrats and Jesus.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Simple text edits are ok?

It's funny, how simple "Used to be/now it's" makes it look like 2nd panel is somehow bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like no satire of Chuck Asay is even possible -- no matter what someone comes up with, it probably already exists somewhere as a real Chuck Asay.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

crowfeathers posted:

I feel like no satire of Chuck Asay is even possible -- no matter what someone comes up with, it probably already exists somewhere as a real Chuck Asay.

I honestly thought that all of the examples in the second post were supposed to be submissions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Gonna be quite a thread if they're all this good.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Ralph and Chuck

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Bicycles! :argh:

Also, in the op you only have two panel examples but sometimes Asay does a four panel format like this:
http://www.gocomics.com/chuckasay/2013/05/15#.Uo-jPEDWZOY

are four panel "it used to be's" allowed?

Koishi Komeiji fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 23, 2013

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mighty Stalker posted:

Also, in the op you only have two panel examples but sometimes Asay does a four panel format like this:

are four panel "it used to be's" allowed?

As long as they follow the compare/contrast format and have at least one authentic Asay panel, I don't see why not!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hahaha. Awesome.

Great submissions so far!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Would it be ok to post the original Asay with the submission? I honestly can't tell if these are real or not!

(or if that's part of the fun, then leave it as is)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
These are surprisingly fun to make.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Would it be ok to post the original Asay with the submission? I honestly can't tell if these are real or not!

I would recommend not posting originals in this thread, because when we're all done the judges are going to have to find the actual entries. This will be considerably easier if there are no other images in the thread, and will avert the possibility of accidentally awarding the prize to a genuine Asay cartoon. So if you have posted an original Asay cartoon, please take it out. Thanks.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
A quick and (very) rough 'Asay makes a good cartoon'.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

This is pretty drat difficult. I really don't envy people who do this often at all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, yeah, low hanging fruit and all.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Koishi Komeiji fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 18, 2013

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

poo poo, that's great. Which strip Keep On Truckin' Obama from?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Now with actual effort!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why does this look familiar? Oh yeah.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man, too many of the best combos have really awkward horizontal-vs-vertical alignment issues.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Can I... enter more than once?

Because, I feel we have a lot to learn about parenting from Chuck Asay:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

crowfeathers posted:

Can I... enter more than once?

Because, I feel we have a lot to learn about parenting from Chuck Asay:

Yeah, make as many as you want!

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

:effort: but I love the dinosaur too much.

Some great work in this thread

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doubtful Guest posted:

:effort: but I love the dinosaur too much.

Some great work in this thread

That second panel shows how Pats fans are born. A TFF Cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Some good submissions so far. I'm just going through the archive from 2003. I'm gonna be hella depressed before I make up anything.

• Locked thread