Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

5thMouseButton posted:

Still hoping for the above but add the the request RTS games where units move in formation like they do in the Age of Empires series or The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-Earth games.

Don't the Shogun games do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Don't the Shogun games do this?

You mean the Total War series of games? They do, was thinking of the traditional base building type of RTS but TW: Shogun and it's ilk play with units in formations, didn't take them though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

5thMouseButton posted:

Still hoping for the above but add the the request RTS games where units move in formation like they do in the Age of Empires series or The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-Earth games.

I think Empire Earth units move in formation? You can pick it up cheap on GOG.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cantorsdust posted:

I think Empire Earth units move in formation? You can pick it up cheap on GOG.

Note: only buy the first Empire Earth. 2 is okay. 3 is absolutely dire.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So i took this thread's advice and bought Fallout 2. Now, it looks like I can't install the restoration mod without making it impossible to save. This seems to be a known issue, but all the fixes I can find are for Windows and not Mac. Any help? Otherwise, would I enjoy the game as much without the restoration mod?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The restoration mod is a big can of worms that mostly just adds some dumb fanfictiony poo poo based off some things people said they wanted to put in during development but got cut for various reasons. Killap's patch is less optional but you can give the restoration mod a pass and not miss anything.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
What are some good games with base management in them?

I've been playing State of Decay, and really like the idea of an open world zombie game where you build up your facility and scavenge for resources. I also really like Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker and XCOM, so I'm waiting for Ground Zeros (which will also have base management) and a sale on the XCOM dlc.

Mostly looking for good games along those lines with base management aspects, rather than anything like an RTS devoted to the idea.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper. Base management is the core of the games and the combat sections are basically a simple RTS revolving around defending your base.

EDIT: And Startopia which is basically dungeon keeper in space. I know they're not quite what you had in mind, but give one of them a shot (Startopia and Evil Genius play a bit better with modern systems.)

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What are some good games with base management in them?

I've been playing State of Decay, and really like the idea of an open world zombie game where you build up your facility and scavenge for resources. I also really like Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker and XCOM, so I'm waiting for Ground Zeros (which will also have base management) and a sale on the XCOM dlc.

Mostly looking for good games along those lines with base management aspects, rather than anything like an RTS devoted to the idea.
The original X-COM had a much heavier focus on base management- on the whole, I think it's a more interesting progression than XCOM's streamlined approach.

If you like XCOM and Peace Walker's base management, sounds like Evil Genius would probably be up your alley as well.

To be honest, I'd be interested in hearing about similar suggestions as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The original X-COM had a much heavier focus on base management- on the whole, I think it's a more interesting progression than XCOM's streamlined approach.

Just be warned the UI is absolutely atrocious. There's a mod called openxcom that somewhat remedies it.

Xenonauts has similar base management with a decent UI as well. It's pretty much a reimagining of the first XCOM taking place in the cold war days.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Speaking of base management and State of Decay... are there any zombie games that are focused on surviving by collecting resources and hiding, instead of surviving by finding bigger and bigger weapons with which to smash zombie brains in?

I feel like I would be a lot more interested in the whole zombie survival genre if they'd put less emphasis on combat and more emphasis on skulking around in the shadows trying to find scraps of food and wood to board up your little hovel, while worrying about what that noise you just heard was.

Basically I want "Amnesia: Zombie Edition" with base building.

[edit]I guess it could be alien invasions or nuclear mutants or whatever I don't care I just want to build a fortress and then have to vacate it in order to scavenge for food :colbert:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Tagra posted:

Speaking of base management and State of Decay... are there any zombie games that are focused on surviving by collecting resources and hiding, instead of surviving by finding bigger and bigger weapons with which to smash zombie brains in?

I feel like I would be a lot more interested in the whole zombie survival genre if they'd put less emphasis on combat and more emphasis on skulking around in the shadows trying to find scraps of food and wood to board up your little hovel, while worrying about what that noise you just heard was.

[edit]I guess it could be alien invasions or nuclear mutants or whatever I don't care I just want to build a fortress and then have to vacate it in order to scavenge for food :colbert:

I think most people want to be able to take the fight to the baddies more directly, but I think a zombie RPG type game could be really cool if you had to spend a LONG time building up resources and fortifying your cave before you could find, scrape together or build weaponry and ammo badass enough to bring the pain. It would make the asskicking phase a lot more meaningful and satisfying, especially if you had to find or develop weapon tech in long phases.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Looking for a PC RPG, I have a party of people, run into parties of bad guys. I have a menu of choices to fight these fuckers, they have a menu of choices to fight me. I don't want to think fast, I want to think about it, stand up, get a beer, think about it more if necessary, or just push attack. A turn based rpg I can grind to the point of simplicity if I want, or grind less and have more challenging battles. Some of the older FF games come to mind, but the only one I ever finished was FFX because I played it while I couldn't get around due to a broken ankle. FFVII is on steam and I'm tempted, but it looks pretty aged. I just want an RPG where I manage a few people and their skills, but don't have to hurry to figure out how to use them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Yay Pudding! posted:

Looking for a PC RPG, I have a party of people, run into parties of bad guys. I have a menu of choices to fight these fuckers, they have a menu of choices to fight me. I don't want to think fast, I want to think about it, stand up, get a beer, think about it more if necessary, or just push attack. A turn based rpg I can grind to the point of simplicity if I want, or grind less and have more challenging battles. Some of the older FF games come to mind, but the only one I ever finished was FFX because I played it while I couldn't get around due to a broken ankle. FFVII is on steam and I'm tempted, but it looks pretty aged. I just want an RPG where I manage a few people and their skills, but don't have to hurry to figure out how to use them.
FF7 uses the same active battle system as FF6, so it's not what you're looking for.

My recommendation would be Dragon Age: Origins if you haven't already played it. Battles play out in real time, but you can pause the action with the spacebar at any point and consider your tactics.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Chaltab posted:

FF7 uses the same active battle system as FF6, so it's not what you're looking for.

My recommendation would be Dragon Age: Origins if you haven't already played it. Battles play out in real time, but you can pause the action with the spacebar at any point and consider your tactics.

That's a good one, but I already have it. Maybe time to start another game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zwabu posted:

I think most people want to be able to take the fight to the baddies more directly, but I think a zombie RPG type game could be really cool if you had to spend a LONG time building up resources and fortifying your cave before you could find, scrape together or build weaponry and ammo badass enough to bring the pain. It would make the asskicking phase a lot more meaningful and satisfying, especially if you had to find or develop weapon tech in long phases.

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

Thank me later. This is what you want almost exactly.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yay Pudding! posted:

All of the Infinity Engine games--Baldur's Gate 1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2. Jagged Alliance. Maybe Neverwinter Nights 1+2? All can be had on GOG for cheap. Leveling to the point of (literal) godhood can be done in BG1+2, you can still grind in Icewind Dale, you can grind well in Jagged Alliance, and you can still do some grinding in NWN, but less than in the older games. Xenoblade Chronicles is the definitive JRPG with excellent grinding and party mechanics and less JRPG bullshit than most. You can grind as much as you like in it. Dragon Age Origins is good, DA 2 is poo poo. Almost no grinding in DA:O, but I don't think you'd really need to. Shadowrun Returns came out recently and is a tactical turn-based rpg, but doesn't have that much grinding. Project Eternity, spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games, finished their $3 million Kickstarter and should be out relatively soon.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
I'm looking for two games, first should be like Diablo but as a platformer with loot (randomized but tiered or something) and crafting if possible?

Second would be a game like the ancient cave in Lufia 2. But not a roguelike, so I can have continuous character progression and not have to restart all over.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tagra posted:

It's not quite what you're looking for, but the bleak survival aspects of Zafehouse Diaries are pretty cool.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

puschel posted:

Second would be a game like the ancient cave in Lufia 2. But not a roguelike, so I can have continuous character progression and not have to restart all over.

Maybe the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. And it isn't randomly generated, but you might like Squaresoft's Vagrant story on the PS1.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Tagra posted:

It's just a stupid flash game, but Rebuild 2 is a super fun base-building/scavenging/party managing zombie game.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

puschel posted:

I'm looking for two games, first should be like Diablo but as a platformer with loot (randomized but tiered or something) and crafting if possible?

Terraria or the upcoming Starbound would probably fit the bill. Gear has random affixes and is tiered with a randomized map and loads of bosses (Terraria).

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
I'm interested in finding some games that I can play in windowed mode easily and abandon at any time without any real consequences. Bonus points for longevity. Games that previously filled this niche were Plants vs Zombies and all three Duels of the Planeswalkers. For some reason I never could get into either FLT or Binding of Issac, so any other suggestions would be great.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Have you tried out Peggle? There's no pressure to keep going past a given try but it had the same addictive nature as Plants vs Zombies had for me.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I absolutely recommend Peggle for that, you could stand in the corridor at my uni halls any time day or night and if you listened hard enough, you'd hear Peggle coming from somewhere. Everyone from uber-nerds to non-gamers loved it. Also consider Trackmania and free flash game N, with is a simple but really long and tough platformer.

As for me I'm getting back into the Sims 3 quite a lot and I was wondering which expansions are the standout ones. I already have Late Night and Ambitions. I'm playing a long game with a family I intend to take through the generations. I couldn't be less interested in World Adventures, I like to keep it in the neighbourhood where Sims live. Cheaper is always a good thing!

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 21, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

As for me I'm getting back into the Sims 3 quite a lot and I was wondering which expansions are the standout ones. I already have Late Night and Ambitions. I'm playing a long game with a family I intend to take through the generations. I couldn't be less interested in World Adventures, I like to keep it in the neighbourhood where Sims live. Cheaper is always a good thing!

Supernatural if you like the different types of occult sims
Island Paradise if you want more activity around the water, including the mobile houseboats
To the Future if you want some scifi mixed in with your sims (though a bunch of the content is in a separate world from the main neighborhood.)

Showbiz and Generations are glorified stuff packs. I don't care for University since most of it is in a separate world as well.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Couldn't think of another place to post this and I was wondering, are there any commercial Mahjong games in English? Like, actual Mahjong, not that tile matching thing.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Finnankainen posted:

I'm interested in finding some games that I can play in windowed mode easily and abandon at any time without any real consequences. Bonus points for longevity. Games that previously filled this niche were Plants vs Zombies and all three Duels of the Planeswalkers. For some reason I never could get into either FLT or Binding of Issac, so any other suggestions would be great.

Triple Town ruined my life for a couple of weeks straight. Faerie Solitaire is good for drop-in drop-out too. Maybe 10,000,000 for the persistent unlocks that keep you going back.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
My name is smokyprogg and I really like difficult games.

My gold standard for a hard game is Battletoads, and I want something kind of similar. I like how in Battletoads almost every level is uniquely difficult, and nothing is more or less impossible (i.e. most challenges require high precision, but don't require frame perfect input or any such nonsense). I've tried Super Meat Boy, but couldn't really get into it because it's all kinda samey. Don't particularly like I Wanna Be The Guy because it was just trying too hard to do nothing but be an impossibly difficult game, and was just missing something because of that.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Just looked at my avatar, and realized F-Zero GX is another example of what I really like, if that helps.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 22, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

smokyprogg posted:

Any suggestions?

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams and its expansion?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

smokyprogg posted:

My name is smokyprogg and I really like difficult games.

My gold standard for a hard game is Battletoads, and I want something kind of similar. I like how in Battletoads almost every level is uniquely difficult, and nothing is more or less impossible (i.e. most challenges require high precision, but don't require frame perfect input or any such nonsense). I've tried Super Meat Boy, but couldn't really get into it because it's all kinda samey. Don't particularly like I Wanna Be The Guy because it was just trying too hard to do nothing but be an impossibly difficult game, and was just missing something because of that.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Just looked at my avatar, and realized F-Zero GX is another example of what I really like, if that helps.

Get Vanquish on Xbox/PS3 and scale up through the difficulties to God Hard. Each difficulty adds more enemies, and alters the types of enemies that show up.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Thanks for those, Mokinokaro, I'll look up the prices and make a choice.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So here's one.

I want a game where I can be evil. Not cartoony evil like Evil Genius or Overlord, I mean REALLY loving evil.

For example : In Fallout 3, one of the quests has you make a kid cry. You can beat him up, or convince him that his parents are sending him to military school, or convince him that his parents are divorcing because of him.

Or you can murder his parents and tell him about it to get him to cry. This is the level of evil that I want.

Something with multiple ways to complete objectives (ALA Hitman) would be pretty awesome.

What good games are there where I can be a vicious, evil, sadistic bastard?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I can't really explain without spoiling it but Planescape Torment will allow you to do some truly horrific things.

On a lesser note the Knights of the Old Republic games allow you to be quite harsh. The first one is mostly a lot of 'Be a prick to people for no real reason.' but there's a cool force choke and some pretty awful stuff you can do at the end. KotOR 2 is better for this and allows you to be an evil bastard.

Jade Empire can have you doing some pretty heinous stuff as well, and so can NWN Mask of the Betrayer

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

khy posted:

So here's one.

I want a game where I can be evil. Not cartoony evil like Evil Genius or Overlord, I mean REALLY loving evil.

For example : In Fallout 3, one of the quests has you make a kid cry. You can beat him up, or convince him that his parents are sending him to military school, or convince him that his parents are divorcing because of him.

Or you can murder his parents and tell him about it to get him to cry. This is the level of evil that I want.

Something with multiple ways to complete objectives (ALA Hitman) would be pretty awesome.

A lot of triple A games with a morality mechanic has the evil option literally just "kill everyone"

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

A lot of triple A games with a morality mechanic has the evil option literally just "kill everyone"

Morality mechanics are just so seldom done well. That's why I wonder if there's a game that just completely forgoes morality and says "Just be a bastard" and programs in just one ending - the evil one.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

khy posted:

Morality mechanics are just so seldom done well. That's why I wonder if there's a game that just completely forgoes morality and says "Just be a bastard" and programs in just one ending - the evil one.

I think KOTOR 1 and/or 2 are pretty good in that regard, but I can't remember specific instances.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cantorsdust posted:

All of the Infinity Engine games--Baldur's Gate 1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2. Jagged Alliance. Maybe Neverwinter Nights 1+2? All can be had on GOG for cheap. Leveling to the point of (literal) godhood can be done in BG1+2, you can still grind in Icewind Dale, you can grind well in Jagged Alliance, and you can still do some grinding in NWN, but less than in the older games. Xenoblade Chronicles is the definitive JRPG with excellent grinding and party mechanics and less JRPG bullshit than most. You can grind as much as you like in it. Dragon Age Origins is good, DA 2 is poo poo. Almost no grinding in DA:O, but I don't think you'd really need to. Shadowrun Returns came out recently and is a tactical turn-based rpg, but doesn't have that much grinding. Project Eternity, spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games, finished their $3 million Kickstarter and should be out relatively soon.

Any games out of these you would recommend for multiplayer, or any in the same type of genre (basically trying to find a multiplayer rpg)? My friend and I started playing Baldurs Gate: EE ( I know, I know) the other day and were having a tough time with the game. In hindsight we probably should have created our party from the get go but we just reached Nashkel and half our party left us after some humans decided to attack us outside. We were already dying quite often from enemies and all our gold goes into reviving teammates, so I don't know how were going to continue on at this rate.

Really I think we're looking for a modern multiplayer rpg that isn't as dated as the infinity games..I'm starting to think NWN2 is our best bet but I'm open to other options

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

khy posted:

So here's one.

What about Spec Ops: The Line? I haven't played it, but I've heard some, uh, interesting things about the morality choices in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shooting Blanks posted:

What about Spec Ops: The Line? I haven't played it, but I've heard some, uh, interesting things about the morality choices in that game.

It isn't really like that - it does do 'morality choices' better than 95% of games out there since you are given perfectly good reasons to do some horrible things and the game doesn't try to punish you for anything, but the choices are relatively few and are there for immersion. The goal is to allow for reflections of how people would act in extreme circumstances, not give a playground to shoot up children.

Khy, you want Planescape: Torment like TehGherkin said. It isn't a contest, no other game comes close, and there is a lot of content in the game that I haven't seen because I refuse to go down some of those paths.