Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The key to any good redemption story is having something tragic happen TO a character that wakes them up. The governors wake up was mass killing other people.

He just, got depressed after? That was his rock bottom, feeling sad after murdering his army? It's like the writers skipped the part where he's captured by cannibals and has his foot eaten off, and went straight to him transforming into an entirely different character. Force feeding a redemption story on an already poorly managed character just sucks. They should have cut their losses.

Him coming hat in hand to the prison and getting pushed in the mud by rick is going to be dumb. Almost as dumb as if he uses the family as "live bait" to try to attack the prison again.

This season has some of the best episodes. I hope the gov dies real soon before he poisons the rest of the season. gently caress. I hate how that character is acted so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Iowa Snow King posted:

I think the implication is that some zombies retain enough instinct or memory to "go back" to their routine, sort of like Morgan's wife from the pilot.

I know but everyone's dressed for work/church/whatever so whenever they went for coffee, that's where they instantly died. It's only a minor nitpick and doesn't matter but I like it better when the show takes that extra step to figure out consequences of human behavior and where zombies would be, like the gas station trio who committed suicide together, than when they just say "this is just a regular nursing home but instead of people, there are zombies where people would be."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

So has anyone talked about the rats yet? I think we can safely assume it's not a Governor prank now.

Maybe Martinez, in his new role as wandering masterless Samurai, embraced the life of a post-apocalyptic prankster?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

That DICK! posted:

So has anyone talked about the rats yet? I think we can safely assume it's not a Governor prank now.

Maybe Martinez, in his new role as wandering masterless Samurai, embraced the life of a post-apocalyptic prankster?
I think you might be onto something with this. Maybe those pits they dug have secret passages that lead under the prison. Maybe they used that secret passage to sneak in and infect Milhouse with "the virus" in an attempt to cull the group and diminish the numerical advantage.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Surprised they didn't hole up in the van and The Gov went out to find a vehicle for them. They obviously could sleep there safely, had food, why the gently caress get out and walk when he's the only one with experience out in the wild.

And surprised that when walking down a narrow line of sight area like that road with trees on either side, that they didn't SHUT THE gently caress UP. Death could be meters away, but no lets bicker like retards.

I know it would use up extra fuel, but it baffles me how no-one goes out with two cars at a time in groups. The last thing you want to do is be stuck on foot, so if I was going on a decent length trip it would be two cars all the time.

edit: Also I want to see them tie a bunch of walkers to the outside of a bus to act as camouflage.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

euphronius posted:

Given another chance, Jean Valjean like,

Jean Valjean stole a loaf of bread to feed his sisters starving child.

Unless there's some crazy version of Les Miserables where Jean Valjean was a murderous general who ran bloodsport, pillaged and murdered dozens of innocent people, sexually harassed people, and fed people to undead monsters that I haven't seen. In fact that would be a pretty badass version, it would explain why he's suddenly okay with/good at shooting people at the barricades when he's supposed to be all christian. Now that I think about it, why did Valjean need redeeming again?

Anyway I think it's a bit unrealistic of people in this thread to say that the governor can't be redeemed without some bad poo poo happening to him like getting half-eaten by cannibals. In the real world people can change without some weird trauma spurring it on. That kind of character development is actually pretty cliche and quite unrealistic in my eyes.

The key to the governors semi-redemption is self-awareness, he was extremely deluded, believing that he MUST be doing the right thing because look at woodbury, it's the post-apocalypse version of heaven (if you don't count the zombie fights) and then the next thing you know the last few people still with him abandon him in the night and suddenly he's just alone with his thoughts and all he can really do is think about what he's done and who he is. Everything he did all that horrible poo poo for is gone, including his zombie daughter. That's enough to make him realistically have a moment of self-evaluation.

euphronius posted:

Notice his daughter made him the white King.

Are you saying his daughter is some kind of racist?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Ug. I just heard that this episode is straight out of the tie in novels. Sounds like they're going to swing back around to the comic book after all. Lily is the key. Now whatever warm feelings I had about her and the non-governor characters is gone. Ug

Now my only hope is that they rush through this and wrap it up by the mid season. But that is a scant hope

Double ug: please don't call what he did to Maggie "sexual harassment". Jesus Christ Marie, he didn't smack her on the rear end at the end of the staff meeting.

rypakal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 19, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Valjean also stole the silver from the church.

The loaf of bread was was legally condemned him. Stealing the silver was far worse.

But obviously they aren't exact analogs and I never said that. The Governor doesn't even speak French!

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 19, 2013

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Once again I really loved the episode, the trend is I like all episodes where some exploration is done and where they show how civilization has crumbled.

No-one yet has mentioned the writings on the wall, which are very similar to post disaster landmarks where people write down stuff for their lost relatives.

Also right before the group of zombies noticed the Gov's happy family, I believe they were staring at some Zombie-distracting device. It even had some provocative text on it. Can anyone confirm (with a screenshot if possible)?

Also, Season 4 really has shown the coolest zombies so far:
-Beartrap Walker
-Intubiter
-Bathtub Zombie
-Grandma Skin-Eater

Their props department sure merits some credit.

MassiveTrauma
Mar 31, 2010

Evernoob posted:

Also right before the group of zombies noticed the Gov's happy family, I believe they were staring at some Zombie-distracting device. It even had some provocative text on it. Can anyone confirm (with a screenshot if possible)?

Looks like just a broken sign bearing the episode's title, "Live Bait"

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MassiveTrauma posted:

Looks like just a broken sign bearing the episode's title, "Live Bait"

They were clearly headed to the pay pond. Why didn't the gov simply teach the women-folk the hobo-shrug move?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
They have shown the episode's title on-screen multiple times so far.

Is this something they do every episode and I missed it, or is it random?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

This season has some of the best episodes. I hope the gov dies real soon before he poisons the rest of the season. gently caress. I hate how that character is acted so much.

The whole governor sideplot pretty much defused any sort of tension built up by the first few episodes and also doesn't match the tone of the show.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The tension was defused at the end of the previous episode.

Do you guys even watch the show.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

rypakal posted:

Double ug: please don't call what he did to Maggie "sexual harassment". Jesus Christ Marie, he didn't smack her on the rear end at the end of the staff meeting.

Well originally I had 'rape' in the post but the definition of rape is penetration, and he didn't penetrate anything. I dunno what else to call it. If I had to come up with something I'd call it psycho-sexual torture, but that doesn't really roll off the tongue and to me it also makes it sound like some sort of weird telekinetic rape.

rypakal posted:

Ug. I just heard that this episode is straight out of the tie in novels. Sounds like they're going to swing back around to the comic book after all. Lily is the key. Now whatever warm feelings I had about her and the non-governor characters is gone. Ug

Now my only hope is that they rush through this and wrap it up by the mid season. But that is a scant hope

So wait, you had positive feelings before, but then when you found out that it tied into the comic's canon suddenly you hate it? What kind of sense does that make? Are you some kind of crazy reverse hipster or something?

Also, the tie-in this is from is set BEFORE Woodbury was established, so I'm assuming they're doing the usual 'let's take some character names from the comics and then just make up our own stuff' shenanigans.

I mean have you read the comics/tie in novels? Because if you had you'd know that this really does not tie into it at all.

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 19, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

etalian posted:

The whole governor sideplot pretty much defused any sort of tension built up by the first few episodes and also doesn't match the tone of the show.

What the should have done was a hitchhiker prequel sideplot. Or a Morgan sideplot. Or any number of things occurring sideplot-wise with anyone else that I actually give a drat about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also almost every drama does this all the time, they follow up a series of tense episodes with a quieter episode in order to let the audience process and to allow them to begin building tension anew. You can't ratchet up tension forever, there are narrative limits to this sort of thing. There's a reason they had to constantly introduce new super sayain states in DBZ after.

Remember the cautionary tale of Dragonball Z!

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

Also almost every drama does this all the time, they follow up a series of tense episodes with a quieter episode in order to let the audience process and to allow them to begin building tension anew. You can't ratchet up tension forever, there are narrative limits to this sort of thing. There's a reason they had to constantly introduce new super sayain states in DBZ after.

Remember the cautionary tale of Dragonball Z!

Dragonball Z was loving awesome :colbert:

Then again that's because it was aimed at kids and I was a kid when I saw it. Maybe some of the chronic complainers should try DBZ instead, there aren't as many 'boring' talie parts in that :V

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

etalian posted:

I think shows need a bit of downtime so people don't get jaded. It's hard to top several characters being in mortal danger (even if nobody important died) with a ticking clock as well as having their home invaded by a horde of zombies without having to kill off major characters or writing yourself into silly corners. Taking a step back tension wise makes sense to me and doing it away from the prison was a sensible choice as it allows a bit of character development for drama later in the season. This way when they go back to the prison if Darryl goes nuts about the Carol thing it will carry more weight than if it came right after the entire prison society coming apart at the seams.

Everything is relative so trying to keep a constantly upwards trajectory means that drama has to be blown out of proportion and that doesn't make for a great show generally, take a step back and taking a breath means you can make another push without having to worry about it falling flat in comparison to last week.

e: whelp, comfortably beaten to this point.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

PootieTang posted:

Well originally I had 'rape' in the post but the definition of rape is penetration, and he didn't penetrate anything. I dunno what else to call it. If I had to come up with something I'd call it psycho-sexual torture, but that doesn't really roll off the tongue and to me it also makes it sound like some sort of weird telekinetic rape.

So wait, you had positive feelings before, but then when you found out that it tied into the comic's canon suddenly you hate it? What kind of sense does that make? Are you some kind of crazy reverse hipster or something?

Also, the tie-in this is from is set BEFORE Woodbury was established, so I'm assuming they're doing the usual 'let's take some character names from the comics and then just make up our own stuff' shenanigans.

I mean have you read the comics/tie in novels? Because if you had you'd know that this really does not tie into it at all.

Sexual torture, or if you're feeling charitable, sexual assault. But sexual torture works.

I said in previous posts that I would have really liked this episode if it didn't have the Governor in it. I was interested in the character development of the other people. But now that I know what will happen to them, that's gone. If that turns out not to be the case I will be super delighted. But anything from those awful novels is a negative in my estimation.

quote:

Running through the back alleys they discover an apartment building occupied by the Chalmers family, comprised of ailing father David and his daughters, Tara and April Chalmers. The two groups bond into the autumn, clearing biters from the rest of the apartment building, reinforcing it, gathering supplies, and trying to live normal lives. David dies from lung cancer during this period and turns into a walker, but Philip manages to kill him before he can bite Tara.

Philip develops a romantic relationship with April

Ending the quote there because there's a spoiler in the rest of the sentence. Yes they've adapted the story for how it appears in the show (his daughter is already dead, so they just gave this family a replacement daughter). Combined with using the name "Lilly" it seems almost certain where they are going with this. What I thought was a ridiculous idea (they are literally rebooting the story of the Governor because they didn't like how he was handled last season) now seems perfectly plausible.

The Governor is the least interesting character Robert Kirkman has ever created, and he won't loving stop writing about him. It fills me with internet rage.

radlum
May 13, 2013

rypakal posted:

Sexual torture, or if you're feeling charitable, sexual assault. But sexual torture works.

I said in previous posts that I would have really liked this episode if it didn't have the Governor in it. I was interested in the character development of the other people. But now that I know what will happen to them, that's gone. If that turns out not to be the case I will be super delighted. But anything from those awful novels is a negative in my estimation.

Ending the quote there because there's a spoiler in the rest of the sentence. Yes they've adapted the story for how it appears in the show (his daughter is already dead, so they just gave this family a replacement daughter). Combined with using the name "Lilly" it seems almost certain where they are going with this. What I thought was a ridiculous idea (they are literally rebooting the story of the Governor because they didn't like how he was handled last season) now seems perfectly plausible.

The Governor is the least interesting character Robert Kirkman has ever created, and he won't loving stop writing about him. It fills me with internet rage.

Keep reading the comics, Kirkman can do worse.

Anyway, I thought the episode was boring, but not in a second half of season 3 kind of boring, just plain old boring TV, but good ideas behind that. I would like to see the Governor "redeemed" but still untrustworthy, like Ben in Lost. I hope they don't kill his new family just to make him even more evil than before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man stop reminding me they should've cast Michael Emerson as the Gov.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I think that not seeing the Governor at the logical end of his bullshit and not seeing the moments where we're asked whether or not he's the same guy and will go back and murder the entire family really is a big part of people not watching the show. The governor from last season was written super lovely. He was clearly bad from the beginning. But, if the episode on Sunday accomplishes anything I think it does a decent soft reboot of him to make him compelling. I don't think he's a cuddly new guy, and in fact I'm pretty sure there's going to be a third(!!!) assault on the prison.

I think that the frustration and fury at the failure of the last assault played out naturally here. He's a supremely evil man who lost his ability to make his evil wide ranging and permanent. I feel like the last episode hit a lot of correct notes while avoiding worse ones and am willing to give Gimple and whoever the benefit of the doubt here.

PootieTang posted:

Well originally I had 'rape' in the post but the definition of rape is penetration, and he didn't penetrate anything.

lol

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

etalian posted:

Sidestepping the whole tension issue, I thought this episode was well in line tonally with the rest of the show*. What do you think was off about it?

* except for the badass posing in burning Woodbury, that was loving hilarious

verybad fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 19, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look, we always get on people in the show for knowing poo poo about zombies, but here see it happens irl too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZClSxVU-xM

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

That's not a joke, that's actually the definition.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

zoux posted:

Look, we always get on people in the show for knowing poo poo about zombies, but here see it happens irl too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZClSxVU-xM
That's brilliant. Maybe being in a thread for a show about zombies is skewing my perception of what the average person actually knows about zombies, that or she's a moron. Who can say?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat Darabont is still pretty bitter about the whole thing

quote:

Have you kept up with the show since your departure? Fans of Kirkman's comics haven't particularly enjoyed its direction since you left.

Have not? Well I wouldn't know. Because, for the same reason that if the woman that I loved left me for the Pilates instructor and they sent me an invitation to their wedding, for the same reason I wouldn't go to the wedding, I haven't seen an episode of The Walking Dead since then.

Did you just need to wash your hands of it?

Look, I really haven't spoken of this yet – I will, I'll get there – but I had to take some time off after that to really reassess everything, to really get over the emotional devastation of having some truly malevolent people tear asunder a brilliant family that had gathered to create this hit for them. It was a very, very deep and loving family, the cast and the crew, and to have that torn apart was – when somebody throws a hand-grenade into that situation, it's tremendously emotionally trying. So would I want to watch another episode of The Walking Dead after that? Are you loving kidding me? No, you put that traumatic disappointment behind you and move on with your life.

We interviewed the original cast while reporting our recent cover story, and a number of them – specifically Lauren Cohan – spoke quite fondly of you.

Listen, they're the best group of people in the world, that cast. But my God, how do I put this – sometimes the emotionally difficult things are tricky to say, words can fall short – but I managed to put another family together on Mob City that is very meaningful to me. The people I get to work always make the journey worth it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think its too much of a reach to say the governer can be redeemed at all. They need to kill him and be done with it. He should never have been a "thing". Also someone mentioned Morgan side plot-now THAT would be a story of redemption. He has gone all vigilante since his wife and kid are gone and obviously felt there was nothing to live for but kill zombies. Having HIM find his humanity and wander the roads would be interesting and character building. But no, we have cliche evil villain finds his soul when he finds some girls. Whatever, just be done with him.

Someone mentioned Ramirez....he's the same way. Lets kill people just to kill people because I'm a bad rear end and I'M IN CHARGE. Since he and the black dude abandoned the governor you'd think they may have changed their ways as far as being shitheels, and I'll be very disappointed if they do not. That isn't how people work "Oh we went full fascist last time and it didnt' work out, so lets do it again just on our own". Yeah no, especially after the murdering of the innocents. Which is why the poisoning the prison thing doesn't make sense either.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

euphronius posted:

Becuse you can't draw an eyepatch on a black chess piece.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What was the whole story with Darabont leaving? I kind of thought that was super weird because it's like wait your budget is 3.4 million for 6 episodes..but the second season is 13 episodes long and they want a budget of 2.8 million.

Yeah, I still don't get that and kind of side a little bit with AMC.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

euphronius posted:

It'd make little sense to draw on the black one with a black marker, but hey, whatevs

Evernoob posted:

No-one yet has mentioned the writings on the wall, which are very similar to post disaster landmarks where people write down stuff for their lost relatives.

Yes, we did, way back when the show started because that's where the Governor got his new alias from

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 19, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Speaking of the Gov's alias, what the hell was up with that? Why were those barn people so obsessed with Brian Heriot? I mean, his name was written on that barn like 12 times, half the time not even in conjunction with anything. Not even 'Brian Heriot wuz here' or something, just "Brian Heriot".

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Theglavwen posted:

Speaking of the Gov's alias, what the hell was up with that? Why were those barn people so obsessed with Brian Heriot? I mean, his name was written on that barn like 12 times, half the time not even in conjunction with anything. Not even 'Brian Heriot wuz here' or something, just "Brian Heriot".

They really, really wanted you to notice where his fake name came from.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Someone at work wondered if that was his real name all along and Phillip was made up.

Our post-:lost: world.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Brian and Philip are headmates.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Bedurndurn posted:

They really, really wanted you to notice where his fake name came from.

People still missed it. Rewatch needed.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

but why is he named brian though and who let the zombies into the prison and who is that Rick character anyways has he always been there?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would not make any thematic sense for the Gov's daughter to think he was the black king.

Also I suppose yes the black marker wouldn't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
The worst part about the governor is that he sounds exactly like Johnny Bravo to me and I can never unhear it. Some people I've talked to don't hear it at all though so maybe that's just me.

• Locked thread