Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Nope. Dispelling is all Prime and Light. You do get some magic immune guys though. I HATE seeing blackskull crushers hit the table.

Dark can remove opposing buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You want to play 4 magic as Adar because Soul Reaver is the best single removal in the game and you up your explosive damage with Shadow Image.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Toshimo posted:

I was thinking of cashing in a bunch of my wildcards to build this pile. Thoughts?

Creatures (37)

Spells (13)

Solid deck. Because the schools of magic you have such good removal, and removal is awesome, I actually would try 34-35 creatures and 16-17 spells.

Definitely run 4 Soul Reavers and at least 3 Fire Balls for mid-to-late game power. I'm actually a fan of Death Seals, and I see them at high ELO, so I would still run some.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Here's my Malik deck, for comparison.

http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/420

It's only 2 soul consuming liches because I only own 2. The two void wraiths I'm currently testing out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's only 2 soul consuming liches because I only own 2. The two void wraiths I'm currently testing out.

Yeah that's sort of the exact opposite direction from where I'm heading.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Playing as schwein11 in game. I started with the necro deck before reading about the general consensus re the inferno deck. I have now run into the brick wall that is the Fleshbane encounter in the campaign. Anyone have any tips about how to deal with the neverending ghosts he pumps out?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

schwein11 posted:

Playing as schwein11 in game. I started with the necro deck before reading about the general consensus re the inferno deck. I have now run into the brick wall that is the Fleshbane encounter in the campaign. Anyone have any tips about how to deal with the neverending ghosts he pumps out?

Its tough but doable with the Necro starter. You just hahave to be very careful with your placement and only keep hands with 3-4 cards that beat ghosts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

schwein11 posted:

I've had a lot of trouble with him as well, and ironically I think one of my better strategies was to stall him out. Takes forever, but he'll gladly deck himself out and if you can keep monsters with some decent health handy (things with Regenerate like the Vampire monsters are great for this), he'll just straight up run out of ghosts to summon. Alternatively, stack the deck with magic monsters and hope for the best.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
Started playing this on a whim - it's pretty fun, but I've never really played any deck-building games before, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I picked the inferno deck to start - what kind of cards should I be looking out for? Are there any which look much better than they are in practice?

In game name is ineffable_logic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Yeah that's sort of the exact opposite direction from where I'm heading.

If you're going for Aggro, you should really be playing the 2 atk 1 drop.

JoshTheStampede posted:

You don't want more than 2 liches, they're pretty bad as a standard 4 drop. Decent as a 1-2 tech drop. Necro has a lot better 4 drops like Decay Splitter and Archlich, or even just playing the Decay Splitters.

ReverendMech
Jul 6, 2009
I just started playing this a couple of days ago. I picked the inferno deck and I am above ELO 500 now. Have not played any tournaments yet.

In game name is ReverendMech

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Ineffable posted:

Started playing this on a whim - it's pretty fun, but I've never really played any deck-building games before, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I picked the inferno deck to start - what kind of cards should I be looking out for? Are there any which look much better than they are in practice?

In game name is ineffable_logic.

Breeders and their mama are irredeemably terrible for a non-caster deck. Cerberus and Hellhound are kinda crummy, as are most neutral cards in the base deck that aren't the Dark Assassin or Pao Deathseeker. Also, you end up learning from fights pretty fast- which cards were of no use to you that fight? Which overstayed their welcome in your hand, what creatures seemed underwhelming, was there anything specific you lacked? Were you overwhelmed by a brute force rush or by attrition? If you could pick any card you've seen so far to turn a fight, what would it be?

Then come back to us and we'll help you plug the gaps! It's hard to say which cards are necessary, because a lot of them are pretty good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tae posted:

If you're going for Aggro, you should really be playing the 2 atk 1 drop.

I'm sort of of the opinion that if you want to play an Aggro deck with dark and fire then play Ignatius. I just don't think the necro creaturebase supports a weenie rush very well.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Cryohazard posted:

It's hard to say which cards are necessary, because a lot of them are pretty good.

I want to second what Cryohazard has said. The best way to build a good deck is play a bunch of games, and organically figure out what would make the deck better. Also, don't get caught up in what people consider to be "meta." There are a lot of good cards in this game (common and uncommon). If you think they might help you in a deck, and you already have the card(s) (don't use wildcards to buy a card you're not sure about), put it in your deck to test to see how well it performs.

For example, this is my favorite new card:

I've never seen another player run it, and I've been able to take dispels out of my deck and make room for more Forked Lightnings!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That's a pretty awesome card right there, although it's got fairly low attack so I'd be worried about it clogging up your lanes once it's done the job. A good chump blocker while you pull out one of Academy's many stupid tricks though.

In other news, I've grown to love chucking Hellfire Bloaters at Sanctuary ambushers. Its so satisfying. :getin: Now if only I could pull another couple goddamn Inner Fire from packs so I could more easily deal with these enormous sharks that have a bone to pick with me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sometimes I really wish I could just mix factions together. Haven and Stronghold would be so delicious together. :allears:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Although the Spellstealer Wizard (I'm running 1 currently) can be used to give you access to really powerful Unique ongoing spells that you normally wouldn't have, among other tricks, I still needed a way to get kill my opponent's ongoing spells. So I bit the bullet, and spent the last of my wildcards on this beauty:

Hopefully I'll get lucky and pull another from a pack.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh, Primal has a two really good ways to remove on-going in Dispel and Mass Dispel. I don't get it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tae posted:

Uh, Primal has a two really good ways to remove on-going in Dispel and Mass Dispel. I don't get it.

Void Ripple has the added bonus of being able to take out anything if they don't have any ongoing effects to remove, but it's awful expensive so it seems pretty lackluster to me. If all you're packing it for is to remove ongoing, why not just use the much cheaper, easier to get alternatives?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It also depends on the hero as well, because depending on the hero they have much better spells to play at that magic cost.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Because most games I can ramp up to 6 Magic somewhat easily, and I'm only really worried about a few ongoing spells. One, really: The Might of Nature. Most others can be played around. If my opponent has that out, it's usually game lock.

And spending 6 resources to outright remove anything from the game is actually a good deal.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I just created an account and this game seems pretty interesting. At first glance the game seems to revolve much more around deck building rather then tactical decision making within each duel.

Are there opportunities to actually do interesting things with the same cards or is deck making pretty much the meat and potatoes of this game?

Name ingame is OGS-Remix as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The lane mechanic and when to ramp up the resources/draw a card makes combat tactical decisions much more involved than most card games I've played.

It gets more involved in the higher Elo's when you're basing decisions on formations and avoiding certain AoE like Fork Lightning.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

OGS-Remix posted:

I just created an account and this game seems pretty interesting. At first glance the game seems to revolve much more around deck building rather then tactical decision making within each duel.

Are there opportunities to actually do interesting things with the same cards or is deck making pretty much the meat and potatoes of this game?

Name ingame is OGS-Remix as well.

Deckbuilding is super important, but it's not as be-all end-all as it is in, say, M:TG. The lanes and concepts of blocking and positioning mean there are actual meaningful decisions to be made. It's really a game of board control, with many different avenues of obtaining that control.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Tae posted:

The lane mechanic and when to ramp up the resources/draw a card makes combat tactical decisions much more involved than most card games I've played.

I think we're both of the same opinion on this, which is why I noted the game as "tactical." I haven't played Magic for over a decade, but when I was a teenager in the infancy of Magic, I was (briefly) on the pro tour. I would say that based on its current card count compared to other games at a similar card count, this game has more tactical depth to it than any CCG I've played. I definitely think it has more than Magic did at a similar card count.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 21, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Is swiss matchmaking based off Elo, or is it completely random? Should I just start surrender spamming my Elo down so I don't waste my tickets?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mirthless posted:

Is swiss matchmaking based off Elo, or is it completely random? Should I just start surrender spamming my Elo down so I don't waste my tickets?

Swiss is completely random. I've had tournies where I faced 3 players in a row with 70+ cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mirthless posted:

Swiss matchmaking is random within brackets. The first round is completely random; thereafter you'll be paired against someone with the closest record to you that you have not played before.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Dahbadu posted:

I think we're both of the same opinion on this, which is why I noted the game as "tactical." I haven't played Magic for over a decade, but when I was a teenager in the infancy of Magic, I was (briefly) on the pro tour. I would say that based on its current card pool size, this game has more tactical depth to it than any CCG I've played. My point is, I definitely think it has more than Magic did at a similar card count.

I think this has less depth than magic in terms of interaction between cards and combos because it doesn't allow responses, have a stack, or have very complex interactions between cards. But It definitely has a lot of depth to its creature battles and has the extra layer of positioning. I think if you really like combo or draw-go in magic you'll feel the game is shallower; but if you liked midrange, aggro, or tap-out best then this offers up some extra depth to those styles.

And the resource mechanic is very good, one of the best non-random implementations I've seen. Every card game seems to try and make resources less random than magic but end up removing a lot of depth in the process. This game managed to hit a really good balance though.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 21, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Higsian posted:

I think if you really like combo or draw-go in magic you'll feel the game is shallower; but if you liked midrange, aggro, or tap-out best then this offers up some extra depth to those styles.

I agree, especially if you compare current-day Magic to this game. I also edited my post a bit to clarify my statement. Not sure if you're old enough to have played back then, but at one point Magic had a similar overall card count. Back then, it had about as much combo/draw-go as this game currently does, but on top of it, this game has more tactical depth. I think there's room for this game to mature/grow and develop more crazy interactions.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 21, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Man, I'm doing the campaign and this Fleshbane dude is wrecking me. He just fills up the battlefield with ghosts that reduce damage. I don't have enough magic cards in my starter necro deck to beat him. Any way around that? My magic characters just are not coming out as much.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AxeManiac posted:

Man, I'm doing the campaign and this Fleshbane dude is wrecking me. He just fills up the battlefield with ghosts that reduce damage. I don't have enough magic cards in my starter necro deck to beat him. Any way around that? My magic characters just are not coming out as much.

His ghosts are quite small, as I recall. You can outrace him, use Life Drainers to chip them down faster than he can kill them, or double-stack your lanes to kill one.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think "how do I beat fleshbane with the necro starter" is gonna need to go in the OP. :v:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think "how do I beat fleshbane with the necro starter" is gonna need to go in the OP. :v:

Done! Also, I've been updating the OP consistently. For those that haven't read it in a while, you might wanna check it out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

So I bought the Ariana premade deck and a couple packs, and then created my own deck out of that's been doing very well in the sub-500 elo ranks.

code:
Hero:
Ariana of the severed fates

Events:
4x Week of Knowledge
4x Week of the Weaponsmiths

Creatures:
4x Wretched Ghoul
3x Lingering ghost
4x Neophyte Lich
4x Plague Skeleton
4x Lamasu
2x Vampire Knight
3x Plague Zombie
2x Archlich

Spells:
3x Purge
2x Venomous Touch
3x Agony
1x Weakness
2x Teleport
4x Death Seal
2x Soulreaver
2x Puppet Master
1x Time Jump

Fortunes:
4x Gold Pile
I'm hoping for a little bit of advice to make it more efficient. What cards should I plan on replacing? What cards should I get more of? Thanks for the help.

edit: modoc link - http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/19295/

The Fool fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 21, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Fool posted:

I'm hoping for a little bit of advice to make it more efficient.

Moonsilk Fetters seems to be a good spell that synergizes with Ariana quite well. If you can get them, I'd try adding them in. In terms of what to take out, play it by ear.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I'm having the exact same problem.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The only thing I've found that really stops Sanctuary is filling up your field with units. Since their skills are based around bouncing you around and forcing you to take damage to deploy, If you've got a full field none of those effects work.

Course I could have just gotten lucky (I pretty much did) because this one didn't seem to be running all that many, if any, spells.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
The important thing to note is the Fleshbane dude does gently caress and all against magic creatures.

Stack the deck with, say, Air Elementals, Neophyte Liches, Fire Elementals, etc. These are all easy to get (might even start with a ton) and field them in response. He also doesn't have much more then those lovely ghosts, so once you get past the initial awe of a dozen baby ghosts he's not a big deal.

Another thing to consider is spells. Geyser is an uncommon from the base set that ruins him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

James Totes posted:

The important thing to note is the Fleshbane dude does gently caress and all against magic creatures.

Stack the deck with, say, Air Elementals, Neophyte Liches, Fire Elementals, etc. These are all easy to get (might even start with a ton) and field them in response. He also doesn't have much more then those lovely ghosts, so once you get past the initial awe of a dozen baby ghosts he's not a big deal.

Another thing to consider is spells. Geyser is an uncommon from the base set that ruins him.

I think the concern here is that he's an anomaly in the tutorial that has wildly varying difficulty by faction. Necro seems to have a far tougher time with him than anyone else and it's kind of awkward because you really won't have any other cards than the starter when you first hit him and that sort of roadblock generally doesn't entice people to go out and buy the other cards to get past him.

That said, he's totally beatable by every starter (as far as I'm aware) and I personally did it with Necro after a couple of tries by tightening up my strategy.

On an unrelated note, apparently there is some rotation to the special throw-ins they give you for purchasing seals. When I started a week or so ago, the throw-in for the $14.99 pack was 4 small packs (lame) and now it's 1 Heroic Pack (pretty good). Also, the $49.99 pack throw-in has changed to a Forgotten Wars Booster (Not terribly exciting as a $50 reward). Awkwardly, the throw-in for the $99.99 pack is 2xHotV+2xVR boosters, which seems like it's almost worse than getting 2xFW boosters from 2x$49.99 packs (it's not).

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 21, 2013

• Locked thread