Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Teek posted:

Well, turns out The Last Day was released on iTunes in the UK, not seen it yet elsewhere. Apparently it's just a non-Doctor involved short about Arcadia. Guess that lessens the chance for Eccelston.

... "Arcadia"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Call back to a previous mention of the Time War in the show, I believe 10 mentioned being there when it fell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Revealed to be not the planet Arcadia from the NA Deceit but a city on Gallifrey.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blasphemeral posted:

... "Arcadia"?

It's good, but it's no Power Station that's for sure.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Squidtits posted:

The 50th has the return of the Zygons who first appeared in Tom Bakers run so maybe it will be a Zygon disguised as Tom.

Or maybe the zygon is just a rubber costume, whose mask will be pulled away to reveal... Tom Baker.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Wolfechu posted:

Or maybe the zygon is just a rubber costume, whose mask will be pulled away to reveal... Tom Baker.

I knew there must have been a reason they put their spy cameras in a pub in Terror of the Zygons.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
What is this nonsense? How can there be a Doctor Who video out there and none of us have seen it??

edit: Found it after some research. It was rubbish.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 20, 2013

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
New short clip pretty from The One Show this evening much confirms Billie Piper is Bad Wolf, not Rose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJqHJEx6Yc

And the Arcadia video was UK iTunes only, so it's being taken down rather fast. At least the one I posted was only up for about 2 hours.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
John Hurt has the best voice. I just want a series of him talking technobabble.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brigadier Sockface posted:

What is this nonsense? How can there be a Doctor Who video out there and none of us have seen it??

Consult the diary!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Throb Robinson posted:

Ten and Eleven say "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey," together, excitedly. Hurt repeats it gravely and just glares at them for a moment.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Throb Robinson posted:

There are passages from Suetonius and Dio Cassius related to Caligula that I would dearly love to hear him read (especially when Caligula replies to his sister, suffering in exile on his order, 'I have swords as well as islands, you know.') :allears:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I loved the Last Day short. I think it neatly captured the horror of the Time War for those people who weren't, you know, Time Lords.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Double post, but I found this: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/50th-anniversary-surprise-revealed-55730.htm

quote:

The Huffington Post reports that Tom Baker will be making an appearance in the special.

They quote the man himself as saying: “I am in the special. I’m not supposed to tell you that, but I tell you that very willingly and specifically; the BBC told me not to tell anybody but I’m telling you straightaway.”

Baker calls the circumstances of his appearance “extraordinary.”

“It worked out very well, I think, judging by the reactions of the technicians,” he adds.

A BBC representative told the site: “As with William Hartnell’s recent appearance in the last season finale, anything is possible in Doctor Who. But nothing is certain.”

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gau posted:

I loved the Last Day short. I think it neatly captured the horror of the Time War for those people who weren't, you know, Time Lords.

They were time lords, they were on Gallifrey and had the Time Lord symbol on their armour... :can:

And I don't think it captured the horror at all- the precognitions were a nice idea but then it just went to Daleks attacking by flying about and exerminating, as we have seen before. Nothing like the evocative weird hints we have had of the time war from RTD.

And the Tom Baker thing has been posted already.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

marktheando posted:

And the Tom Baker thing has been posted already.

Sorry!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is a scene from the 50th

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is a scene from the 50th

this is going to be so epic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

They were time lords, they were on Gallifrey and had the Time Lord symbol on their armour... :can:

Not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords, and not all Time Lords are Gallifreyans. :colbert:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I haven't looked at it in detail, but I'm pretty sure it's the Seal of Rassilon, no? If so, it seems like that would be the equivalent of having a flag on your uniform.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

I haven't looked at it in detail, but I'm pretty sure it's the Seal of Rassilon, no? If so, it seems like that would be the equivalent of having a flag on your uniform.

Yes, it's the Seal of Rassilon. That doesn't really tell you anything about the Time Lordiness of those dudes though. I choose to believe that all Gallifreyans are Time Lords but it's not anything that's ever been confirmed on the show.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

The debate is sort of academic until something is shown on screen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Maybe Tom Baker is going to play a deformed version of the Fourth Doctor made by a faulty loom.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Paul McGann regenerates into Tom Baker, time is ruined, the fifth to eleventh Doctors are erased from existence, TO BE CONTINUED

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

marktheando posted:

And I don't think it captured the horror at all- the precognitions were a nice idea but then it just went to Daleks attacking by flying about and exerminating, as we have seen before. Nothing like the evocative weird hints we have had of the time war from RTD.

Yeah, the precognitions could be really creepy. Someone posted about them actually being broken memories from erased timelines. That could be a terrifying idea if done right.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Gau posted:

It felt like the intro to a computer game. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For a 3 minute short, there seemed to be long gaps of silence with no-one doing anything. :/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Plucky Brit posted:

It felt like the intro to a computer game. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not.

Thats it!
An intro to a early FMV game. That sums it up quite nicely, its bland and done as cheap as possible.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 21, 2013

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, it felt like an intro video to old Command and Conquer games, or for that old Warhammer Final Liberation game.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

qntm posted:

Paul McGann regenerates into Tom Baker, time is ruined, the fifth to eleventh Doctors are erased from existence, TO BE CONTINUED

A new special mini webisode brought to you by Steven Moffat and some nine-year-old presents just a series of non-sensical regenerations as various doctors are erased from and then brought back to existence. Eight into Eleven, then Eleven into One, then One into Four, Four into a steaming pile of screaming flesh that quickly regenerates again into Six, and so on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DirtyRobot posted:

A new special mini webisode brought to you by Steven Moffat and some nine-year-old presents...

"The Doctor and Computeress Get Mandark"!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Metal Loaf posted:

"The Doctor and Computeress Get Mandark"!

And then the Master said

And then the Doctor said

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/11/watch-the-fall-of-arcadia-in-the-latest-doctor-who-mini-episode/

The Last Day, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Wow yeah that was rubbish.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Wheezle posted:

Some day, we may even come to terms with it. :v:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
An Adventure in Space and Time is really good, you guys.

David Bradley is absolutely fantastic as Hartnell.

And not to spoil anything but I kind of teared up at the very end. I won't even put it in tags, but it's really a great moment.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Classtoise posted:

An Adventure in Space and Time is really good, you guys.

David Bradley is absolutely fantastic as Hartnell.

And not to spoil anything but I kind of teared up at the very end. I won't even put it in tags, but it's really a great moment.

The whole thing was very well done, I really enjoyed it. Also, shout out to Brian Cox who you can tell was enjoying every minute.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wheezle posted:

Use your left thumbstick to look around, and hold X to scan.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The uniform of the Time Lords reminds me a little of the armor of the Imperial Guard in 40k. I think the treason they lost is that they did not have any Time Lord Space Marines.

Anyway, the visions were a little creepy if they are supposed to be the timeline taking heavy damage by the rewrites of the war. I would have preferred to see the Hurt Doctor there watching as the Daleks break though the defenses knowing that this was the beginning of the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I thought The Last Day was pretty okay - nothing groundbreaking or even great, but a fun bit of tone-setting. I think it just looks bad because it came after Night of the Doctor, and anything coming after that would look bad.

• Locked thread