Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
have we stumbled into bizarro land? I just don't get what is going on with the characters anymore, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

The interesting bit is that no matter how we pair up, everybody's inclined to double Betray - Quark, Dio and Luna are the only ones with 5 points, and they're all in separate pairs.

And Alice is a pretty big hypocrite considering she willingly Allied in the previous paths.

Not exactly. If they're going up against someone with 1 BP left, betraying while they pick ally would end up killing them. Except for Dio, I don't think any of the characters would be willing to kill for one extra point.

Also, Alice only allied because she was against Clover, who she's apparently friends with, and Quark, who's a kid.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I'm guessing Quark got to the button before Dio had a chance to react. gently caress Dio.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Geez, Alice. At least try to act a little remorseful.

And yeah, it looks like Quark was probably the one who picked "Ally" there. Interesting that he managed to pick "Ally" in this timeline, while Dio was the one to pick "Betray" in the other timelines...
I'm guessing Dio was less inclined to force his way since the mysterious old lady wasn't found stabbed to death. Or found at all, really.

And instead tried to convince Quark to betray.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kay Kessler posted:

Not exactly. If they're going up against someone with 1 BP left, betraying while they pick ally would end up killing them. Except for Dio, I don't think any of the characters would be willing to kill for one extra point.

Also, Alice only allied because she was against Clover, who she's apparently friends with, and Quark, who's a kid.

Except that almost every time in this scenario, the only people that can match up against someone with 1 BP will have 6 BP. That one point would mean them being able to escape.

That would make option 2 the best choice though - Sigma and Phi can come to an agreement to double Ally and Luna'd be willing to go with it. I don't think Clover would risk Betraying to kill Tenmyouji, and at the same time I don't think Tenmyouji would be inclined to Betray unless he really wants to escape that 1 BP zone. There's Quark+K+Alice, who will either Betray to keep the other from winning or come to some mutual agreement to Ally.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's really not much point in speculating about which door to choose because we haven't even gotten to the "who doesn't trust who" section yet that cuts off the options.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This scene made me appreciate the fact that Alice was stabbed to death in the other pathway. :v:

And I love how now it's Quark who's saying that Dio was up to something shifty in the AB Room. :allears:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Is Dio semi-colourblind? Why was he puzzled whether he had Magneta or not?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Eeepies posted:

Is Dio semi-colourblind? Why was he puzzled whether he had Magneta or not?

Oh I'm sure this will NEVER come up :allears:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I bet he was just internally debating in his head "Is this purple? Or magenta? poo poo, I don't want to sound like an idiot, which one is it?"

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
My money's on him being Magenta/Cyan colorblind, although that's not a weird enough disorder for the sequel to 999.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Could *you* tell the difference between purple and magenta on demand?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Poland Spring posted:

My money's on him being Magenta/Cyan colorblind, although that's not a weird enough disorder for the sequel to 999.

"Actually, Dio, I'm a Cyan solo."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Luna is Zero. Dio picked Ally because he knows.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Or Dio is illiterate. He just hit a button randomly in the first round and remembered the shape of the first letter - if he was told he hit betray, he kept pressing the same one in later rounds; if he was told he hit ally, he'll just switch it up and press the other button from then on. We haven't seen him need to actually read yet, after all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, that would explain him not knowing Schrodinger's cat.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't understand any of this, something really screwy is going on here. Was the discovery of the old woman the variable that altered the equation here?
Also, I believe Quark might have been the one doing the voting in all three pathways. BECAUSE QUARK IS ZERO SR. :tinfoil:

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
The variable that changed the equation was the pairings. Alice has only ever been with K and Clover before, and while it's unknown if K has played the nonary game before, Alice and Clover are definitely in on something. Maybe Alice wanted to ally with Clover, but K chose betray, or maybe Clover chose betray herself... either way, Sigma and Phi are seen as mysterious by knowing more than they ought, and know we KNOW them to have connection from a previous game.

999 Spoilers: I'm thinking Phi will be this game's Santa equivalent. I think she's running part of this show, hence her knowledge on the subject and people in it. That might also explain her voting rational to some degree as well...

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Maybe in this iteration Quark hasn't been infected with Radical-6 and so he was able to act faster then Dio.

There's a whole bunch of little hints that the true ending is somewhere along this branch.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Goddamn, Alice this round was just insufferable. Okay already, keep rubbing it in how goddamn stupid we were to trust you. Have fun in round 2 when it's impossible for Clover to pair up with you, I guess.

Sentient Data posted:

Or Dio is illiterate. He just hit a button randomly in the first round and remembered the shape of the first letter - if he was told he hit betray, he kept pressing the same one in later rounds; if he was told he hit ally, he'll just switch it up and press the other button from then on. We haven't seen him need to actually read yet, after all

Bruceski posted:

"Actually, Dio, I'm a Cyan solo."

Dio is Zero Sr. and he set up this whole drat game cause it seemed easier than learning how to read a book.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The other difference this path is that Quark and Dio went through the yellow door, which is the infirmary. If Quark grabbed the injector and tubocurarine in there, they might have given him the threat he needed to force Dio to hit Ally.

That would also mean that Quark's already violently insane at this point, but I feel comfortable making that assumption.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

ToastGhost posted:

The variable that changed the equation was the pairings. Alice has only ever been with K and Clover before.

Alice was with Dio and Quark before, they went betray while she chose ally. She allied with Dio over us, sure she had no idea at the time that he's a jerk but still... DIO.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I just had a neat idea, what if they made a game like this, complete with multiple, subtle factors changing each playthrough, and then secretly made 1/3 of the copies contain factor X, Y, or Z, and you'd only know if you played like 75% of the game.

It'd make those old kid claims of "MY COPY IS DIFFERENT" a lot more interesting.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

I just had a neat idea, what if they made a game like this, complete with multiple, subtle factors changing each playthrough, and then secretly made 1/3 of the copies contain factor X, Y, or Z, and you'd only know if you played like 75% of the game.

It'd make those old kid claims of "MY COPY IS DIFFERENT" a lot more interesting.

Or have it read the device's serial number and use that as a seed for the RNG. Ah, the days before the internet where you could argue for hours over what would happen if you could beat Mortal Kombat on the hardest difficulty without ever getting touched or beating Armored Armadillo's stage 10 times in a row without taking damage. :allears:

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Zandar posted:

That would also mean that Quark's already violently insane at this point, but I feel comfortable making that assumption.

The disease doesn't make you violent to others does it? They just said it makes you want to kill yourself.

Actually, that's given me a though. What if the old lady wasn't murdered? What if she had Anime Future Pandemic Disease and committed suicide?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

DWK posted:

The disease doesn't make you violent to others does it? They just said it makes you want to kill yourself.

That's a fair point, but really I feel comfortable assuming that anyone in this game is capable of axe-murdering at any point.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

DWK posted:

Actually, that's given me a though. What if the old lady wasn't murdered? What if she had Anime Future Pandemic Disease and committed suicide?

If she committed suicide, the knife would still be in her body instead of hidden between the two Ambidex rooms.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

GeneralYeti posted:

If she committed suicide, the knife would still be in her body instead of hidden between the two Ambidex rooms.

Or maybe Zero Sr knew about the infection and suicide, but hid the knife to either sew distrust among the group or stop others from thinking she was infected (assuming others knew about the symptoms of R6)

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
In Alice's defence, it wasn't just Sigma she was up against, but Phi.. and given the way she instantly knew about the prisoners dilemma, and Phi's general attitude when it comes to cold rationalisation, she may well have just assumed that she'd have convinced Sigma that the logical answer was to pick Betray, and gone with that just to not lose points.

Though I'm firmly in the Sigma camp really, if you're going by that logic, everyone should just ally all the time

But yeah, rubbing it in is a bit of dickish move

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

FluffySquirrel posted:

In Alice's defence, it wasn't just Sigma she was up against, but Phi.. and given the way she instantly knew about the prisoners dilemma,

Did Phi mention the Prisoners' Dilemma before they were locked in separate AB rooms? I would doubt it, since they didn't even hear the rules of the Ambidex Game before that time. So Alice wouldn't know that part.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So, after all this, I resubmit the best solution to all this: the mutual murder pact. Agree on an outcome, and anyone who doesn't go along with the group consensus gets killed by the rest of the group. Not looking so bad now after all the poo poo people pulled, huh?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nidoking posted:

Did Phi mention the Prisoners' Dilemma before they were locked in separate AB rooms? I would doubt it, since they didn't even hear the rules of the Ambidex Game before that time. So Alice wouldn't know that part.

Everyone knows the Prisoner's Dilemma (especially in a series like this). It doesn't really matter whether Phi mentioned it or not.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Clarste posted:

Everyone knows the Prisoner's Dilemma (especially in a series like this). It doesn't really matter whether Phi mentioned it or not.

The original argument was "Because Phi knew about the Prisoners' Dilemma, her team would vote Betray, therefore Alice should vote Betray when opposing Phi." If you change the premise to "Everyone knows about the Prisoners' Dilemma," then the conclusion becomes "Alice will vote Betray every time," which clearly hasn't happened. So I don't think you're restating the argument quite correctly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, Dio doesn't know Schrodinger's cat, I doubt he knows the prisoner's dilemma. And Quark is like 10.

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
So if I'm reading this correctly we're paired with Luna. Oh man, we absolutely have to hit betray this time, preferably against Phi. I want to see Luna's reaction when we betray someone on 1 point.

Haedrin
Dec 28, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I know it's a joke, but

Fedule posted:

There's some paper inside.

Let me see that.
Hmm...

Says "Steps for dissecting a frog".

Just happened to be playing the game and noticed the line.

Haedrin fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 23, 2013

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Someone in the cast has to have some sort of weird disorder, somewhere! Maybe Quark has that thing that Brooke Greenberg had and actually is in his 40s or some weird poo poo like that. And is Sigma's clone. WE NEED MORE WEIRD

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

Someone in the cast has to have some sort of weird disorder, somewhere!
Did you miss Sigma's cat thing? :v:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Endorph posted:

Did you miss Sigma's cat thing? :v:

I'm purr-etty sure nobody could miss that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm purr-etty sure nobody could miss that :v:

Ok ok, but in order to qualify this has to be a major plot point somewhere in the story. :colbert:

• Locked thread