Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Nobody thought he was so bad that Louis Murphy would be better than him at every phase of the game as rookies.

Actually I remember during the draft specifically Deion sanders (or cris carter maybe?) said "Oakland just picked a receiver who is better than their top 10 pick!"

I liked Murphy at Florida and thought he had a real shot. I liked him more than Riley cooper, who I DID like, so it's surprising to me he's doing so well compared to Murphy who can't beat out the Carolina receiving crew (well, mostly ted Ginn I suppose)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Volkerball posted:

He's broke permanently now? What? Your argument belongs in preseason 2009. The bottom line is that even for what DHB was sold as, a fast, tall guy with no experience and bad hands, he quickly showed that he was far behind. Nobody thought he was so bad that Louis Murphy would be better than him at every phase of the game as rookies. He dropped balls when there was no one ten yards around him almost every time out. Lost huge games like that. He was dominated at the line of scrimmage, and his routes were godawful. You expect better from a UFA that earned a roster spot. The fact that he's come from that to a great run blocker, a solid route runner, and has developed beautiful body positioning, enough so to warrant another contract with another team after he got cut, is really a testament to how good Greg Knapp Hue Jacksons offense was at getting guys comfortable and helping them succeed doing what they were good at. DHB isn't broken. He's a great guy, a hard worker, and he's always doing everything he can to get himself better. He's good at all the parts of "hands" that can be taught. It's his hand eye coordination in that second he has to grab it that gets him. That's why it's so frustrating, because he'll make a play to get position on the ball and it bounces off his loving hands. Hopefully, it'll click for him some day. God knows he's in a good place to do it.

With the Crabtree thing, I'm glad we didn't pick him. The 2009 Raiders were hosed as a team, and a rookie holdout with the spotlight on him making noise wouldn't have helped the team rebuild. DHB is a class act, and I don't think there's many players who could be as under the microscope as he was his rookie season, performed as god awful as he did, and continued to come in every day and give it 100% effort without any drama. That doesn't change the fact that as far as quality of prospects goes, 4 receivers could have been drafted with the first 6 picks, and the Raiders still would have been fools to think DHB was the best receiver available.

Are you allergic to comedy? He hate me.

The Raiders would've been roasted for picking any WR at that spot because they were picking for need and there wasn't a WR in that draft worth a top ten pick.

DHB is broke as gently caress because the knock on him going into the draft was that he was raw as raw gets. If his hands are poo poo clearly he has not been taught all the parts of "hands" that can be taught. If he's letting the ball bounce off his hands it's not a hand-eye coordination thing. No human being in the world can react in the one tenth of a second the ball is touching his hands to catch it. DHB clearly doesn't understand his hand spacing or that the act of catching the ball had more to do with friction.

Gregg Knapp had exactly one year with a guy who was a three year project when he was drafted and DHB is broke now because the first two years he was in the league none of his bad habits were corrected and now some of them have become permanent. DHB is no longer in the developmental stage of his career, this is his ceiling. This is what broke means.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SlipUp posted:

Are you allergic to comedy? He hate me.

The Raiders would've been roasted for picking any WR at that spot because they were picking for need and there wasn't a WR in that draft worth a top ten pick.

DHB is broke as gently caress because the knock on him going into the draft was that he was raw as raw gets. If his hands are poo poo clearly he has not been taught all the parts of "hands" that can be taught. If he's letting the ball bounce off his hands it's not a hand-eye coordination thing. No human being in the world can react in the one tenth of a second the ball is touching his hands to catch it. DHB clearly doesn't understand his hand spacing or that the act of catching the ball had more to do with friction.

Gregg Knapp had exactly one year with a guy who was a three year project when he was drafted and DHB is broke now because the first two years he was in the league none of his bad habits were corrected and now some of them have become permanent. DHB is no longer in the developmental stage of his career, this is his ceiling. This is what broke means.

Yep, exactly. His first two years, none of his bad habits were corrected, and then his third season, he got 1,000 yards receiving, and then,

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Actually I remember during the draft specifically Deion sanders (or cris carter maybe?) said "Oakland just picked a receiver who is better than their top 10 pick!"

I liked Murphy at Florida and thought he had a real shot. I liked him more than Riley cooper, who I DID like, so it's surprising to me he's doing so well compared to Murphy who can't beat out the Carolina receiving crew (well, mostly ted Ginn I suppose)

I remember Cris Carter on draft day laughing about the DHB pick screaming how he wasn't even all-ACC. He was HONORABLE MENTION. After his rookie season, I thought Murphy was going to be a top two receiver in Oakland for a while. Sucks he didn't work out.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 21, 2013

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Volkerball posted:

Yep, exactly. His first two years, none of his bad habits were corrected, and then his third season, he got 1,000 yards receiving, and then,

his coach was fired for the second time in as many years. It's great you think Knapp is super awesome and all but even he can't whip a project into shape for the rest of his career in one season. It's all there in the post you dismissed with half of a witty one liner.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SlipUp posted:

his coach was fired for the second time in as many years. It's great you think Knapp is super awesome and all but even he can't whip a project into shape for the rest of his career in one season. It's all there in the post you dismissed with half of a witty one liner.

The first season DHB played under Knapp was 2012. His second and third season, the offense didn't change. Hue Jackson was the offensive coordinator and head coach each of those years. You're associating DHB with the shitshow 07-09 Raiders, but all his development was under the 2010-11 8-8 top ten offense Raiders. I mean as a top ten pick as a rookie, other than like the Falcons trading up for Julio Jones, you couldn't really get a whole lot better off.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
The rookie year is the most critical year for development, so yeah I think his 09 rookie season hurt his development pretty badly. In regards to 2010-2011, I already made my feelings known about Ted Tollner in my first post. Despite playing in Hue's offense, him and Lal were the guys responsible for his development and for what it's worth I think Lal is awful too. I did make a mistake though, Gregg Knapp didn't get him til year 4.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I don't think there's a single Raiders fan that likes Gregg "Seriously guys zone blocking will totally work this time" Knapp.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I don't think there's a single Raiders fan that likes Gregg "Seriously guys zone blocking will totally work this time" Knapp.

Or Seahawks fans, for that matter.

In draft news, DT Louis Nix will have surgery on a torn meniscus and is done for the year. The question now is if he declares and risks not being 100 percent for the Combine, or just stays at Notre Dame another year to try to get better game tape.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

defiantgiant posted:

Also, I'm starting to wonder if this is the year when the Bears draft a QB to develop behind Cutler. If Derek Carr falls to their second-round pick, I wonder if they'd pull the trigger. He's sort of intriguing: if Trestman could improve his mechanics under pressure and coach him to get the ball out on time (the way he has with Cutler and McCown,) it seems like he could be a pretty good QB. I'm a big Cutler fan, but I would love it if they went the Aaron Rodgers route and had a guy waiting behind him, learning the offense for like 3 years.

I've been hoping the same thing but with Murray in the the third round. Other than being a bit small, most of his problems seem mechanical or mental. So if Trestman lives up to his billing as a QB Whisperer that seems like something he could shape into a decent starter in a few years.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That Auburn game was so sad. Murray single handedly engineers that drive with an amazing effort charging through a defender on 4th down for the score and no one will ever remember it. A good heads up play by the receiver but Auburn deserved to lose, or more accurately, Aaron Murray deserved to win.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hey its never too early for a mock draft, and certainly not too early for one with 3 QB's in the top 5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2014-nfl-draft-report-full-first-round-mock-222745657--nfl.html

edit: And 4 in the top 7, Derek Carr :lol:

swickles fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 22, 2013

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Derek Carr is really good though

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Derek Carr is really good though

I know he is good but this thread alrady went over a lot of his drawbacks. He could easily go in the top 10, stranger things have happened, but I am not putting money on it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

swickles posted:

Hey its never too early for a mock draft, and certainly not too early for one with 3 QB's in the top 5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2014-nfl-draft-report-full-first-round-mock-222745657--nfl.html

Manziel at five? I'm in. :smug:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Benne posted:

Bradley Roby has officially declared for the draft.

He's having a down season but might still be the best CB on the board.

Not only is Loucheiz Purifoy the best CB on the board, he might be the 7th-best WR on the board too.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Mock drafts have been pretty accurate about the Ravens the past few years so all these Mike Evanses I'm seeing are pretty cool.
Still, its November and it all means nothing.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

It's fun being a Bears fan because no mock is going to correctly figure out who Phil Emery is going to draft in the early rounds. Like, it should be fairly obvious our needs are S DT and CB but he could go hog wild and take a fullback or something just to be a draft hipster.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

swickles posted:

Oh God Cleveland trading up for Mettenberger I wish this was real

Also, I was very excited to see this draft and be mad about who they have the Steelers taking. But I would be down with either Jace Amaro or Cyrus Kouandjio so I cant even be mad.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

swickles posted:

I'm not ready for the Raiders to grab another WR in the first round

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
I've noticed that Ekpre-Olomu's stats have dropped significantly this year. People who watch Oregon, is this because QBs aren't throwing at him, or was last season a fluke?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh god I'm realizing Clowney is coming to the NFC South pretty much guaranteed. gently caress.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Almost all the mock drafts I'm seeing are having the Bears taking a DT or CB in the middle to late middle of the first.

But they are all over the place on who that person is.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Oh God Cleveland trading up for Mettenberger I wish this was real

Also, I was very excited to see this draft and be mad about who they have the Steelers taking. But I would be down with either Jace Amaro or Cyrus Kouandjio so I cant even be mad.

The browns already have the Colts' first round pick welcome to week 3

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Hey a mock that say the Chiefs aren't drafting a tackle again sweet awesome whoa

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barudak posted:

Oh god I'm realizing Clowney is coming to the NFC South pretty much guaranteed. gently caress.

AFC South's got your back for now (unless the Texans do something really dumb).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

Atlanta and Tampa are currently #3 and #4 and in theory neither of them is has QB needs. Please lose more Texas?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Rap posted:

The browns already have the Colts' first round pick welcome to week 3

True. I misread the article. The Browns have been drafting well recently so its my dream for them to have two first round draft picks in two separate drafts and blow the second on terrible quarterbacks both times.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

Hey a mock that say the Chiefs aren't drafting a tackle again sweet awesome whoa

You lie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barudak posted:

Atlanta and Tampa are currently #3 and #4 and in theory neither of them is has QB needs. Please lose more Texas?

I meant more the Texans are playing the Jags twice in three weeks. :v:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

computer parts posted:

I meant more the Texans are playing the Jags twice in three weeks. :v:

You know how most of us are joking about dropping a game to them? We're only half joking. It'll probably be TNF too, just to make sure 25 people see it instead of 6.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

It mostly happens because people who make mock drafts don't watch Chiefs games unless they are in primetime.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

I'm not ready for the Raiders to grab another WR in the first round

They'll pick a FS while Clowney Lotulelei's his way on by. :sigh:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oakland really picked a crap year to out do expectations. Clowney the Raider would be poetry.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oakland really picked a crap year to out do expectations. Clowney the Raider would be poetry.

They can always trade a couple 1st round picks for him when he's in his 30's.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That would be a very sad poem.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

True. I misread the article. The Browns have been drafting well recently so its my dream for them to have two first round draft picks in two separate drafts and blow the second on terrible quarterbacks both times.

Don't worry, they probably will.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
San Diego needs to draft nothing but Linemen and corners

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

computer parts posted:

Just to gently caress with the fanbase I really hope the Texans have a high draft pick and draft Derek Carr.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

Just to gently caress with the fanbase I really hope the Texans have a high draft pick and draft Derek Carr.

Carr could be good but I'd rather get Manziel and own fools while trollin' the fanbase. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZopfaMania
Jul 7, 2010

b0ng posted:

Well hey, the best way to get really good at something is to do it over and over again. Expect Donald Carr to lead the Texans to a Superbowl in 2040.

if the NFL lasts that long

• Locked thread