Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

thexerox123 posted:

Yes yes, we all know he's good at writing fiction.

This isn't Reddit. Could you quit acting like it is? Would be nice.

Anyways, about what the thread is actually made for: dunno what else to say about the 50th. I have my own theory about part of it, which is on the previous page, but I'm really wondering what surprises they have in store for us. I'm still hoping for a Hurt-to-Eccleston regeneration somewhere in the special.

Oh, also! Totally forgot; remember ages ago when we saw a screenshot of Coal Hill Secondary School sign (where Ian and Barbara taught), and it said "CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNORS: I. CHESTERTON"? I think we might just get an Ian cameo! At least, I hope :) It'd be perfect, tying the show back to its beginnings within the show (like they already did that with the docudrama, but I mean in the show having that connection and linkage made would be great). It'd also be interesting if Smith met Ian, considering Ian never learned about regeneration. But this is getting ahead of ourselves - for all we know, the sign may be the only cameo we'll get of him in the special.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

thexerox123 posted:

Yes yes, we all know he's good at writing fiction.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Renzian posted:

This isn't Reddit. Could you quit acting like it is? Would be nice.

Anyways, about what the thread is actually made for: dunno what else to say about the 50th. I have my own theory about part of it, which is on the previous page, but I'm really wondering what surprises they have in store for us. I'm still hoping for a Hurt-to-Eccleston regeneration somewhere in the special.

Oh, also! Totally forgot; remember ages ago when we saw a screenshot of Coal Hill Secondary School sign (where Ian and Barbara taught), and it said "CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNORS: I. CHESTERTON"? I think we might just get an Ian cameo! At least, I hope :)

We did get one in Adventures in Time and Space. Also they have already made it canon that he never aged.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

bobkatt013 posted:

We did get one in Adventures in Time and Space. Also they have already made it canon that he never aged.

I like to think that was just a joke of some sort because it makes literally no sense :(

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Renzian posted:

Oh, also! Totally forgot; remember ages ago when we saw a screenshot of Coal Hill Secondary School sign (where Ian and Barbara taught), and it said "CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNORS: I. CHESTERTON"? I think we might just get an Ian cameo! At least, I hope :) It'd be perfect, tying the show back to its beginnings within the show (like they already did that with the docudrama, but I mean in the show having that connection and linkage made would be great). It'd also be interesting if Smith met Ian, considering Ian never learned about regeneration. But this is getting ahead of ourselves - for all we know, the sign may be the only cameo we'll get of him in the special.

Pessimist (realist?) BoB tells me it's probably just a neat little visual reference in an establishing shot that won't lead to anything more substantial. Ideally, for me, we'd see both William Russell and Carole Ann Ford as Ian and Susan in this, even if it was just for a scene each that doesn't really matter to the overall plot. It'd be fanwanky, but there's no harm in getting a bit fanwanky in the celebration of fifty years of the show, especially when fanwanky means revisiting the two remaining member of the original core cast.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Pessimist (realist?) BoB tells me it's probably just a neat little visual reference in an establishing shot that won't lead to anything more substantial. Ideally, for me, we'd see both William Russell and Carole Ann Ford as Ian and Susan in this, even if it was just for a scene each that doesn't really matter to the overall plot. It'd be fanwanky, but there's no harm in getting a bit fanwanky in the celebration of fifty years of the show, especially when fanwanky means revisiting the two remaining member of the original core cast.

I know it would never happen, but it would be amazing if the Doctor went back to Coal Hill because he was having some sort of a problem and calling upon one of his oldest companions to help him sort it out. Maybe even thanking Ian for helping him discover his "humanity." Certainly the way he goes back through the years to the Brig, Captain Jack, River, the Paternoster Gang, etc the first companions deserve the same treatment.

If there was ever a time for that...

I'm still amazed that we're about 2.5 hours out and still know nothing more. gently caress, if Moffat's finally found a way to stop spoilers this is gonna be a dull thread between now and Christmas! :D

Not that I mind though, personally I'd not want to know more than what I know. Like a few others ITT, I have my limits with spoilers. I'll go so far and then no more.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Astroman posted:

Moffat's finally found a way to stop spoilers this is gonna be a dull thread between now and Christmas! :D

In the tradition of the original series, and to cut down on leaks, The Day of the Doctor was written two days ago and they are frantically finishing filming it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I assume they went a little nuts after the Name of the Doctor mistake

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

MisterBibs posted:

It's funny that you should bring up that, because that fake website (of which that picture is included) had something in it that has always stuck in my memory: An interview with a guy saying that he once saw a man matching that description, wearing fancy clothes, inconsolably ranting to nobody about how "he killed them all" and that they "were all gone". The implication, of course, is that this guy met 9 right after regenerating from 8.

I don't know why it's always stuck in my head, but the image of it was incredibly powerful. And in some way, I'm almost upset that it's been written out, even if it wasn't anything important.

Other thought:

I'm not sure if I should discuss this here or in the other thread, but I have to admit I'm worried that my expectations are too high for Day Of The Doctor. From what the trailers tell us, we've got the 10-and-11-working-together stuff. We've got the War Doctor/Time War stuff. We've got a Zygon Thing stuff. We might have that Things-Leaving-The-Paintings stuff. Even without knowing the specifics on how these aspects/plots work together, that's four big things for a 75-minute show. I wonder how they are going to pull that off, because each seems like something worthy of delving into.

I hope I'm wrong, but something makes me think I'm going to wind up disappointed.

Sorry to gloss over the majority of your post, but the breaking out of the pictures thing..

I have a feeling it's going to be something to do with older versions of The Doctor being trapped in the paintings while Zygon copies of them take their places, with the news of Tom Baker being involved suggesting he perhaps breaks out, aged.

Just a stab in the dark, however. I also apologise for starting off that de-rail about how Kennedy was an overrated piece of poo poo. I am just so sick of him being lauded. Each to their own, and all that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My money is the paintings are just quick cameos. "Oh look, it's my past selves in paintings, saying a line or a catchphrase! I must be in trouble!"

Or all his past selves will be trapped in paintings except for 10 and the War Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

My money is the paintings are just quick cameos. "Oh look, it's my past selves in paintings, saying a line or a catchphrase! I must be in trouble!"

Or all his past selves will be trapped in paintings except for 10 and the War Doctor.

So everything pre-War. Terrible cosmic angst.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Ladies. Gentlemen. It's time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I can't believe they kept that end cameo under wraps.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tom Baker said he was in it like a week ago.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I can't believe they kept that end cameo under wraps.

They didn't.

quote:

"I am in the special," said Baker. "I'm not supposed to tell you that, but I tell you that very willingly and specifically; the BBC told me not to tell anybody but I'm telling you straightaway."

It was posted in this thread, probably a few pages back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Everyone thought it was Tom being Tom.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Everyone thought it was Tom being Tom.

It struck me as somewhat odd, since Tom Baker's Doctor seemed to imply that Matt Smith's Doctor was in his past.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Well some of the 50th spoilers were correct. :argh: To one about Davison being Omega.

Biggest complaint was that Eccelston did indeed bail on the thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

James R posted:

It struck me as somewhat odd, since Tom Baker's Doctor seemed to imply that Matt Smith's Doctor was in his past.

He told him it could be his past or it could be his future. He was Tom being Tom.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Teek posted:

Well some of the 50th spoilers were correct. :argh: To one about Davison being Omega.

Biggest complaint was that Eccelston did indeed bail on the thing.

Hurt started regenerating and I thought, "OH MY LORD THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE ECCLESTON FOR A SECOND!" But nope, he didn't even do a ten second appearance post-regeneration. Douchebag!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
He didn't bail. he turned down the offer flat out, which he had every right to do, since he's not contractually obliged to do poo poo for Who anymore.

sure it's a bummer, but at least he got a nod.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Matt Smith's line "I demand to be taken to the tower with my co-conspirators, sand shoes and granddad" was great.

I think I might watch the whole thing again tonight. I am shocked by how good it was.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

He didn't bail. he turned down the offer flat out, which he had every right to do, since he's not contractually obliged to do poo poo for Who anymore.

sure it's a bummer, but at least he got a nod.

He always gets a nod!
But yeah it's not like he told Moffat to get hosed. Unless literally everyone is lying (and they have every reason to, what with publicity and all, but still) he thought it over long and hard before eventually saying no.

Still, would've been nice if they CG'd maybe a reverse of 9 -> 10. Ah well.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Guys, that was amazing, but we're missing something important here.

Clara's going to turn out to be River.

I really don't want that to be true, but consider for a moment a few clues:

1. River in The Name of the Doctor asked how she could still be there if Clara was gone. Sure that seems to just mean that Clara isn't dead, but if that were the case, why did she say "spoilers" when the Doctor asked her how? He literally found Clara a minute later, so that's not what she didn't want to spoil.

2. Clara blew into the world "on a leaf" and so did River (her Demon's Run name leaf.)

3. Clara kissed the Doctor at the end and told her she always knows what he needs, the Doctor told River basically the same thing in Name.

And the most obvious:

4. River's Vortex Manipulator came from a "Dead Time Agent"...and so did Clara's. We never saw her give it back, either. Moffat doesn't put things like that in by accident, it's too coincidental.

I hope that none of this is true and it's just misdirection, because I actually like them both separately and don't want both ruined by Moffat Masterplanning. Then again, Moffat just proved he CAN plan perfectly, so who knows.

But holy poo poo even if he fucks that up, I will always forgive him for legitimizing 8 and TOM loving BAKER!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

James R posted:

Hurt started regenerating and I thought, "OH MY LORD THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE ECCLESTON FOR A SECOND!" But nope, he didn't even do a ten second appearance post-regeneration. Douchebag!

I'm surprised they didn't get McGann to film a little bit, since he was clearly willing. I'm guessing all the other Doctors recorded voiceovers for the big TARDIS get-together, at least.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Stairs posted:

4. River's Vortex Manipulator came from a "Dead Time Agent"...and so did Clara's. We never saw her give it back, either. Moffat doesn't put things like that in by accident, it's too coincidental.

They said in this episode it came from Captain Jack. The one that River got was from a dead time agent.

Also we have seen her parents and her as a baby. She can not be River.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 23, 2013

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

They said in this episode it came from Captain Jack. The one that River got was from a dead time agent.

Dead, quote unquote.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Edit: wrong thread.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Exactly.

Also, remember when River regenerated in NYC and we never saw that life? How many lives did she have before she re-regenerated into Mels? We never saw Clara's mum pregnant, so what if her parents met, got married, fell in love, and adopted baby Clara? God I hate being able to rationalize this but for Moffat it makes so much sense.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Stairs posted:

Exactly.

Also, remember when River regenerated in NYC and we never saw that life? How many lives did she have before she re-regenerated into Mels? We never saw Clara's mum pregnant, so what if her parents met, got married, fell in love, and adopted baby Clara? God I hate being able to rationalize this but for Moffat it makes so much sense.

You saw Mels grow up with the Ponds. Do you really think Clara is going to regenerate into a little girl?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

You saw Mels grow up with the Ponds. Do you really think Clara is going to regenerate into a little girl?

I can see it now. An adult not-yet Alex Kingston River climbs into a crib at a maternity hospital and regenerates into baby Clara.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

Also didn't river say the last time I did this was in a New York alleyway

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Was Bad Wolf Rose supposed to be just an image or was she actually some kind of incarnation of super time vortex powered Rose from way back in 2005 influencing the past to save the Doctor from having to destroy Gallifrey? Cause that is kinda neat if they connected it all the way back to the start like that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mavric posted:

Was Bad Wolf Rose supposed to be just an image or was she actually some kind of incarnation of super time vortex powered Rose from way back in 2005 influencing the past to save the Doctor from having to destroy Gallifrey? Cause that is kinda neat if they connected it all the way back to the start like that.

She said that she is from the past or maybe future. She gets confused.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Interesting photo from the official Doctor Who twitter: https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/404370080856678400/photo/1

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Saeka posted:

Interesting photo from the official Doctor Who twitter: https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/404370080856678400/photo/1

Could that just be an old picture from Timecrash?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

bobkatt013 posted:

Could that just be an old picture from Timecrash?

Its the Five Doctors reboot called Five-ish Doctors. directed by Davison for the Red Button service.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, apparently it's just a comedy thing.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Mavric posted:

It was the AI projection of The Moment. The line referring to whether she isn't sure if she is an image of the Doctor's past or the future is referencing that the AI can read the minds of everyone and has chosen Rose's image as one of the most important from the Doctor's life (regardless if whether it had already happened or not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Classtoise posted:

Still, would've been nice if they CG'd maybe a reverse of 9 -> 10. Ah well.

I'm sure this should go in the main thread but... they did, didn't they? I'm certain I saw Ecclestone's CG'd face start to appear (the hair and eyes and ears at least) then the camera cut away.

• Locked thread