Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, you get Eccelston's face for like 3 frames. It wasn't much but it was something, shame it didn't go for a few second longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
It is, but it also seems like the sort of thing Chris would saunter up and ask for royalties over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

seizure later posted:

It was the AI projection of The Moment. The line referring to whether she isn't sure if she is an image of the Doctor's past or the future is referencing that the AI can read the minds of everyone and has chosen Rose's image as one of the most important from the Doctor's life (regardless if whether it had already happened or not).

That's certainly the simpliest explanation, but the AI *did* however have Rose's memories and could reference Bad Wolf.

It's interesting to speculate what exactly we saw really. To what extent did the Weapon set up the entire thing? Like... where did the fez come from? Did it set up the entire thing with the paintings and the Zygons so that the Doctor would have a solution in mind? How were the previous Doctors brought into the final plan? The Weapon clearly did have the power to manipulate time, through the creation of the time vortices...

Hmm time vortices...

Maybe the forbidden weapon *is* the TARDIS.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fangz posted:

That's certainly the simpliest explanation, but the AI *did* however have Rose's memories and could reference Bad Wolf.

It's interesting to speculate what exactly we saw really. To what extent did the Weapon set up the entire thing? Like... where did the fez come from? Did it set up the entire thing with the paintings and the Zygons so that the Doctor would have a solution in mind? How were the previous Doctors brought into the final plan? The Weapon clearly did have the power to manipulate time, through the creation of the vortices...

The weapon worked with the TARDIS in order for the events to occur.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The woman's voice in the trailer for the Christmas episode is Kovarian.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
She's a pretty mediocre villain so I forgive you in advance for complaining about her.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But which bad guys will finish Smith's Doctor? :ohdear: (it's gonna be concussion, isn't it)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dice Dingus posted:

She's a pretty mediocre villain so I forgive you in advance for complaining about her.

Yeah she is, but if that storyline gets wrapped up well I'll actually be pretty happy with it all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One thing I liked the best? That even after the Night of the Doctor, where the 8th specifically regenerated into a warrior, and foreswore the name of the Doctor...the War Doctor is still the Doctor, who winds up asking if he has the right. He can't change his nature even if he wants to. And just once, he doesn't have to.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What happened with the humans and the zygons and if they ever came to a peace treaty because oh my god there was 5 seconds left before London explodes.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PriorMarcus posted:

The woman's voice in the trailer for the Christmas episode is Kovarian.

We didn't get a Christmas trailer in the cinema. Is it on YouTube?

Edit: wait, found it. http://youtu.be/Hw79DvVTi1Y

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 24, 2013

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Dice Dingus posted:

It is, but it also seems like the sort of thing Chris would saunter up and ask for royalties over.

Well they've full on showed his face before so it's not like they avoided Nine.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Asema posted:

What happened with the humans and the zygons and if they ever came to a peace treaty because oh my god there was 5 seconds left before London explodes.

I assume Earth is now home to Silurans, Humans, and Zygons.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Thoroughly enjoyed the two seconds of Peter Capaldi's eyes. That's one hell of a deathstare

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Zenithe posted:

Thoroughly enjoyed the two seconds of Peter Capaldi's eyes. That's one hell of a deathstare

I may have screamed like a small child. In my mind, he was calling the Daleks cunts :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
don't ever call me loving Gallifreyan again

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's such a drat shame Smith is leaving, because I really feel he's at his peak. He's refined the character for a couple seasons now and he just seems so at home in the role that I wonder if there are any BTS issues that influenced his departure. One wonders if he's had his fill of Moffat's rumored meltdowns.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He's said it himself, that if he doesn't stop now he'd never want to. There was a while where he talked about outlasting Tom Baker and I think he'd last much longer if he didn't stop himself and go a different path in his career.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's also getting lots of offers in Hollywood. I've read that he's spending more time in LA than back home these days.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I am still smiling over that Capaldi cameo. That's how you do fan service right.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I remember reading (possibly in this thread) that he had a falling out with Moffat because he thought the script for the 50th special was crappy, that sounded depressingly likely at the time but since the special seems to have turned out quite well I'm not so sure now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Its great, because in Time Crash there was already an explanation lampshaded as to why past regenerations look older, so that really was likely Four. :D

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"You fookin' cunts, why do I always gotta clean up your fookin' messes, ey?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

I remember reading (possibly in this thread) that he had a falling out with Moffat because he thought the script for the 50th special was crappy, that sounded depressingly likely at the time but since the special seems to have turned out quite well I'm not so sure now.

It's a good thing Moffat's method of writing out his action figure plays works so well then!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Obvious awesome implications, or awesiplications?

1) Rassilon is going to come back.

2) Depending on the timing of the Timey Whimey ball on this, but so is The Master.

3) The revived Time Lords are likely going to be the main counter versus the revived Daleks.

I'm a little confused on how the Daleks ended up wiped out in this version of events, "everything" seems to be literally "everything" the Daleks had but how would that literally wipe out their whole civilization? Ten even says they would call for reinforcements if they "knew" so what happened to the reinforcements?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Even if this is the angriest he gets/looks in his time on the show, I can already tell I'm going to like his Doctor :allears:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Raenir Salazar posted:

Obvious awesome implications, or awesiplications?

1) Rassilon is going to come back.

2) Depending on the timing of the Timey Whimey ball on this, but so is The Master.

3) The revived Time Lords are likely going to be the main counter versus the revived Daleks.

I'm a little confused on how the Daleks ended up wiped out in this version of events, "everything" seems to be literally "everything" the Daleks had but how would that literally wipe out their whole civilization? Ten even says they would call for reinforcements if they "knew" so what happened to the reinforcements?

Well I think the Daleks didn't have literally EVERY LAST DALEK fighting.

That said, if Three Doctors would call in the cavalry, I think thirteen would make the Daleks just go "You know maybe peace isn't such a bad idea".

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Classtoise posted:

Well I think the Daleks didn't have literally EVERY LAST DALEK fighting.

That said, if Three Doctors would call in the cavalry, I think thirteen would make the Daleks just go "You know maybe peace isn't such a bad idea".
We saw what happened when a single doctor shows up on Dalek scanners at the start of the episode. News that 13 Doctors are in the same place would cause every last Dalek in the galaxy to go wild with hatred like a kitten given the strongest bag of catnip you can find.

They probably all came running, only to get annihilated by the subsequent crossfire. A few barely survived, resulting in the events of Victory of the Daleks.

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 24, 2013

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Asema posted:

They let Zygons become bygones.

My question is, why didn't they address that issue of the Zygons leaving behind their pet dog in Loch Ness? :scotland:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was loving EPIC, i was literally on the edge of my seat.

Good to see everyone again, Rose :allears:, John Hurt was wonderful

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So Capaldi will almost certainly have an arc about seeking out Gallifrey. If they bring Gallifrey back entirely I wonder how they will avoid the Time War simply resuming. Maybe it stays hidden away in a pocket universe?

With the brief clip for the Christmas special mentioning Trenzalore I wonder how it will be dealt with.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
So what happened between the last episode and the 50th anniversary? I thought the doctor and Clara were stuck in that vortex or whatever it was?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xillah posted:

So what happened between the last episode and the 50th anniversary? I thought the doctor and Clara were stuck in that vortex or whatever it was?

Nothing in the episode actually suggested they were stuck. They probably just strolled on out after bumping into the War Doctor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well there was the whole "Clara if you go in there you will die." thing that never got addressed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

And River saying that if the Doctor entered it then he'd cause a lot of problems with his own time stream.

Moffat loves to create cliffhanger endings and then ignore them entirely because he's onto the next shiny bauble.

However, I guess it's worth pointing out that early listings for this episode mentioned The Doctor and Clara still being stuck in his timestream so maybe a lot was cut for time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Well there was the whole "Clara if you go in there you will die." thing that never got addressed.

It... did, in Name of the Doctor? The Doctor goes in, pulls her back together, and they're preparing to leave when they come across the War Doctor.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So have they finally managed to put a lid on the spoiler pot? Keeping 13 loving Doctors under wraps is impressive. They just have to gag Tom Baker next time. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McDragon posted:

So have they finally managed to put a lid on the spoiler pot? Keeping 13 loving Doctors under wraps is impressive. They just have to gag Tom Baker next time. :v:

It was still a shock even after what Baker said, because there had been a rumor the Doctors had recorded new lines, perhaps as some sort of living paintings in the Gallery. Even when the living paintings turned out to not be the Doctors, when I saw the 12 on the viewscreens I figured the old ones and 9 were clips, and the living ones recorded these lines. So I was completely bowled over when Tom showed up.

Plus, nobody would imagine Moffat would have the guts to have an old, fully aged non CGI Doctor show up and recycle the excuse he used in the 5/10 minisode. Having Baker be the 25th Doctor or whatever in retirement, reusing an old body was brilliant.

To get nerdy, having the idea that the Doctor will get a new set of regenerations actually brings back into canon the character of Muldwych from the NAs, who was implied to be a future Doctor (and the incarnation that would be known as Merlin, whose handiwork the 7th Doctor ran into in Battlefield).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

McDragon posted:

I find it hilarious that even after he said it, him showing up was a surprise because everyone had assumed he was just being Tom Baker when he said he was in the 50th.

• Locked thread