Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

April posted:

Can she be redeemed, if she still doesn't think she did anything wrong? When telling Queenie about killing the baby, she insisted "It was the right thing to do." I don't know if she's quite there yet, in terms of forgiveness/redemption.

She was saying that burying the mother with her baby was the right thing to do. She already acknowledged that killing the baby is the worst thing she has ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I think being chained in a coffin buried alive for 200 years is a pretty significant punishment for any of the horrors she had committed. Does she deserve to suffer eternally for those crimes, without the possibility of redemption?

Depends if you're Christian or not. The bible seems cool with it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

There are several major Christian denominations, most prominently Catholicism, that reject the notion that someone could be punished for actions they did not know were wrong.

Did the weird fertility ritual between Hank and Cordelia have any consequences or are we just going to forget that ever happened?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think that was just showing how her witch powers couldn't get her pregnant so she had to go see Lalurie.

April
Jul 3, 2006

bamhand posted:

She was saying that burying the mother with her baby was the right thing to do. She already acknowledged that killing the baby is the worst thing she has ever done.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought she said something like she had to do it, otherwise the baby could grow up & claim their fortune or something, so killing the baby was the right thing to do. I wasn't paying attention 100% though.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I always watch AHS a little later than the rest of you, but I'm so surprised nobody liveposted "I'm starting to understand why you are so enormous!" and I am VERY surprised that "This Sunday night, I'm making gumbo" isn't the new thread title.

Other thoughts:
-I hate Zoe. "I'm going to kill Kyle." *10 seconds later* "I DON'T WANT YOU TO DIE"

-Nobody doesn't like Queenie because she's black! They're all bitches to each other, get over yourself and stop seeing racism where there isn't any.

-I found Fiona and Axeman kind of boring, apparently unlike everybody else in this thread. It was just so... blah to me. I was thinking he'd try to kill her at least, but nope. Just "I was a pedophile ghost and now that you're old and wrinkly, let's gently caress."

-Kathy Bates having a friend was so :3: and I was so sad to see her caged again. She was just starting to redeem herself and I know that she'll win Queenie over again, but ugh. I can't believe how much I like her character, even though real Delphine was a horrible piece of garbage who would have deserved these things.

-Oh good, Spaulding/Riff Raff/Russell Edgington can talk again! Oh poo poo, he's (temporarily) dead. On one hand, I kind of hope he stays dead and only appears from now on in flashbacks. But on the other, that means he won't really be talking so maybe he should come back?

-Where the gently caress was Nan this week?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My DVR cut off right when the VooDoo lady was starting to put blood on her face. Did anything happen after that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drunkboxer posted:

My DVR cut off right when the VooDoo lady was starting to put blood on her face. Did anything happen after that?

She growls "Beautiful." and then the episode ends.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bamhand posted:

And besides all that, Queenie is the only person who's really tried to work with LaLaurie towards forgiveness. Most of her significant human contact since she got unburied was with Fiona, who's certainly a less than healthy influence for just about anyone. It only makes sense that LaLaurie would be just a few steps down a long path to not being a lovely person.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
To be honest, I find the Fiona/Axeman thing fairly cliche as far as yet another character falling in love with her, and the whole "I've watched you grow from afar" schmear. It's just that their interaction felt a lot more emotional and sincere than anything else we've seen yet this season, what with Axeman bein' all smooth and Fiona struggling to embrace someone who seems to genuinely care for her. And if you ignore the fact that he's a ghost come back to life and she's an all powerful witch who doesn't seem to know or care, their sudden connection seems a lot more realistic without all that convoluted supernatural stuff butting in.

It is quite telling that so far the most likeable characters on the show are a pair of real-life murderers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I didn't care much for the Axeman. He's a character who literally appears out of thin air, and then in the next episode is revealed to have a decades-long obsession with one of the main characters. I couldn't get into it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't care much for the Axeman. He's a character who literally appears out of thin air, and then in the next episode is revealed to have a decades-long obsession with one of the main characters. I couldn't get into it.

His live long dream was to hold her while they sleep, because they clearly did not have sex. The whole part was pretty odd, I kinda miss seasons 2 absurdness because at least stuff was happening.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BJPaskoff posted:

When the car went by blasting rap music I half expected the Axeman to turn a corner, hear some Miley Cirus, and then plant the axe straight in his own head. Truly, he cannot live in this decade.

EDIT: That or maybe he could develop a new passionate obsession with autotune. "Clearly, these are amazing times. I am now the The Dubstep Man."

uptown posted:

-Kathy Bates having a friend was so :3: and I was so sad to see her caged again. She was just starting to redeem herself and I know that she'll win Queenie over again, but ugh. I can't believe how much I like her character, even though real Delphine was a horrible piece of garbage who would have deserved these things.

I love how much they are messing with the audience with her character, it's amazing. By having her act kind of sympathetic and dressing her in an hilariously grandma-esque way, they have everyone rooting for a woman who just admitted a mild regret was draining a newborn child's blood for a beauty makeup. Also, one that spent decades torturing people because of race, because she thought it was hilarious.

Now, I think "whole family murdered being trapped in a box alive for 300 years" is the kind of event that can make me buy a redemption story, but man.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 23, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

EDIT: That or maybe he could develop a new passionate obsession with autotune. "Clearly, these are amazing times. I am now the The Dubstep Man."

gently caress. Yes.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Well what other options do you have when your husband fucks his slaves and gropes them in front of you? I mean, realistically given the time period. Other than doing nothing, I can't really think of another solution.

Presumably she killed the husband at some point?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

bad day posted:

Considering she had three husbands and outlived two of them I could see the show going that route at some point in a flashback.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

bad day posted:

Well what other options do you have when your husband fucks his slaves and gropes them in front of you? I mean, realistically given the time period. Other than doing nothing, I can't really think of another solution.

You really can't think of another solution to that problem than infanticide?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bad day posted:

You could try not telling someone whose trust you are trying to win about it.

uptown
May 16, 2009
But she asked! If you were being truly honest with someone you thought was your one true friend, then why wouldn't you tell her? May I remind you all that Queenie asked "What is the worst thing you've done?" not "What do you mildly regret?"

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair to LaLaurie, she's already spent over a hundred years in a box, specifically asked Fiona if she could kill her, and had to suffer from seeing her zombified daughters ready to attack her. Possibly the only thing that could actually torture her at this point is ... well, the situation she ended up in with Laveau. But she had no way of knowing that was a possibility, especially at Queenie's hand, since Queenie had already risked her life to lure the minotaur away from her. That, more than anything else, probably spurred a change of heart and an innate trust.

In fact, you'd think Delphine wouldn't be too concerned with death considering she was ready to die and would have welcomed it after spending all the time in the box. I was going to point this out a long time ago, but I figured there was a logical explanation seeped in human behavior i.e. now that she's out and actually living again, she probably retains a basic human fear of death. Plus, she probably doesn't want to die an extremely painful death, such as being ripped apart by zombies or tortured by Laveau.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I don't see any reason for Laveau to ever let LaLaurie die.

I'm so frustrated with Queenie for playing her like that. It's never cool to lie to someone's face about being their friend.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hahaha. I can't believe people feel bad for Lalaurie. Bitch hasn't even gotten close to what she deserves.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

ThatPazuzu posted:

You really can't think of another solution to that problem than infanticide?

No seriously given the patriarchy and nature of the times the only solution other than ignoring and do absolutely nothing would be to sell off the mother and child, which would require the approval or involvement of the husband who likely would not approve. If you can think of a third option please post it here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Hahaha. I can't believe people feel bad for Lalaurie. Bitch hasn't even gotten close to what she deserves.

I feel bad for her because while what you said is true, she has begun to show a kernel of genuine understanding of and remorse for her despicable actions, and was betrayed by someone she had come to regard as a true friend. While her past actions were indeed vile and sadistic almost beyond understanding, perpetuating a cycle of revenge is figuratively and literally creating monsters to fight monsters.

E: to be clear, I don't feel real bad about her. But the part about revenge creating monsters is pretty clear text from the episodes themselves, Laveau turned her husband into a literal minotaur for jah's sake.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 23, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's possible to not feel much sympathy for LaLaurie while still thinking that Queenie lowered herself (and not to mention, is probably getting played) by betraying her like that.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
Kathy Bates is just that good I suppose.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Thomase posted:

Yeah that's kind of what it comes down to. In lesser hands we probably wouldn't care what happened to her either way and we definitely wouldn't be having this conversation.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I think being chained in a coffin buried alive for 200 years is a pretty significant punishment for any of the horrors she had committed. Does she deserve to suffer eternally for those crimes, without the possibility of redemption?

I was thinking along the same lines. I don't think she's quite there yet in terms of being completely contrite, but Kathy Bates playing it was sympathetic and the way she is portrayed reveals awareness and a desire to atone for past behaviour.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's possible to not feel much sympathy for LaLaurie while still thinking that Queenie lowered herself (and not to mention, is probably getting played) by betraying her like that.

I was saying that while watching it. She wants ALL the Salem witches dead, pretty clearly, at this point. I honestly do not think she cares what color Queenie is to that end.

Though honestly I hope I'm wrong and that she's not being played at all. I like more complex villains that aren't mustache twirlers.

Thomase posted:

I'm glad she was up to join the cast this season. She really is a highlight.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
It's neat that we have two "bad guys" (Delphine and Marie) this season who are both sympathetic (150 years in a box; lives to see friends and lovers killed) and both deeply racist.

I love to hate Laveau, though. She's so evil. I think I enjoy her scenes more than Fiona's.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Truly the greatest crime this season has committed was allowing Queenie to buy Delphine that loving sweatshirt.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Double post but something just hit me, what the hell happened to the radical Christian neighbor and her son injured by a goddamn zombie? Is he just with Nan...wherever that is?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Double post but something just hit me, what the hell happened to the radical Christian neighbor and her son injured by a goddamn zombie? Is he just with Nan...wherever that is?

He recovered at the school and then went home. Nan had a one-off line about how his mother keeps slamming the door on her.

Of course Nan wasn't in the last episode and has mostly been a non-entity at large, so I'm thinking down the line she'll have a better interaction with him. I'd say his mother is secretly molesting him, but they already did that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I feel like they must have covered this since it's a huge plot point but for some reason I can't remember why the Salem and Voodoo witches are at war.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

fullroundaction posted:

I feel like they must have covered this since it's a huge plot point but for some reason I can't remember why the Salem and Voodoo witches are at war.

Like, currently, or in general? Generally, I think it's a combination of xenophobia (they have different magic than us) and, well, old hostilities about the Voodoo witches being brought to America because of slavery.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Well ... I don't know. I'm assuming there is a compelling reason for Laveau calling for the systematic genocide of the Salem witches other than xenophobia.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Genocides are pretty much about that, and most of them don't even have the excuse that their victims enslaved them.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Didn't Laveau say that the source of the Salem magic was originally from black slaves? Like they stole her people's birthright.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

fullroundaction posted:

Well ... I don't know. I'm assuming there is a compelling reason for Laveau calling for the systematic genocide of the Salem witches other than xenophobia.

It could just be that, like Fiona, she doesn't want anyone that's potentially more powerful than her hanging around New Orleans. That's probably at least part of the reason why she's mad at Hank the Witch Hunter: because even though he's been killing off various witches, he hasn't killed the ones she specifically hired him to kill (meaning, Fiona and Cordelia and the other witches at the school).

Lord Krangdar posted:

Didn't Laveau say that the source of the Salem magic was originally from black slaves? Like they stole her people's birthright.

Yeah, I seem to recall her mentioning something along those lines as well, during the encounter with Fiona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
That explanation doesn't make sense, though. If the Salem witches' power is genetic, then how could it have started with Tituba?

• Locked thread