Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

This pretty much sums up Eva.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Today is always the least enjoyable day.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

His smile is gone for good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

"No Gendos allowed!" :mad:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is that part of some merchandise or just a one-off piece of artwork?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

probably a one-off

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"No Gendos allowed!" :mad:

"Azukas" fits better.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

You must run away.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On the subject of overlapping series, I just finished RahXephon.

It's almost embarassing how derivative it is, but if anyone really wants to see "what if there were a totally unambigious and straightforward version of Evangelion where everyone's nice to Shinji and he turns out to be a compassionate, well-adjusted young man" well, there it is. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the subject of overlapping series, I just finished RahXephon.

It's almost embarassing how derivative it is, but if anyone really wants to see "what if there were a totally unambigious and straightforward version of Evangelion where everyone's nice to Shinji and he turns out to be a compassionate, well-adjusted young man" well, there it is. :v:

I keep meaning to watch that series. Worth it, in your estimation?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I keep meaning to watch that series. Worth it, in your estimation?

You could do worse, but you could do a lot better. There are a few good character moments, but the supporting cast has better-developed motivations than the protagonists, who are supposed to be lovers tragically separated by a twelve-year temporal anomaly, but it never shows you anything about their backstory or relationship until the very last episode and as a result just comes off as weird and skeevy.

On top of that the main conflict of the show is really weakly portrayed -- there are some unique monster designs, but they never feel viscerally threatening at all, even when they're destroying whole cities. There's kind of a half-hearted attempt to make them only ambiguously evil or hostile, but since you learn almost nothing about their real motivations they just feel blank and incomplete.

Someone once described it to me as "unfinished ideas for Eureka Seven that got left on the cutting room floor" which seems apt.

That said, for a BONES show it has an unusually coherent ending.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 22, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also has Episode 19.

Rahxephon is, I'd say, above-average but not by much, and has some really creative and amazing mecha designs. The Vermillions are among my favorite Mecha designs ever. They're just damned classy, the sleekness of a fighter jet mixed with a mecha, but also having a significant sci-fi feel. The levels to which it gets wordy, "philosophical", and just jammed up its own arse at times really hurts it though. There's some pretty ugly monologues later in the series, and that purple-haired Rei-alike just loving sucks.

The manga is literally completely different from the anime aside from the character designs/names and titular mecha. The plot is much more coherent(and dark), and goes from beginning to end in only three volumes. The ending is a pretty big bummer. I liked it a lot and have the three volumes on my shelf.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I started Rahxephon for the same reason all those years ago when it came out. It starts out strong and is very interesting initially, but I stopped watching after 7-8 episodes because it just doesn't get all that great.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Maybe I'm just easily pleased or impressed or maybe it's because it's been quite a while since I've last watched it all through but I quite enjoyed RahXephon (emphasized by the fact that I wrote the ADTRWiki article for it :v: ). I thought it was quite refreshing to not have a mecha anime with everyone having crippling depression, anxiety or massive, almost all-encompassing amounts of teen angst all over the place. There's still a bunch of it from the main protagonist I guess, considering the circumstances. I thought it had just the right helping of "teenager doesn't know what the gently caress" and the resulting angst/crisis or whatever you wanna call it without it being as overly down-your-throat and sometimes immensly confusing as NGE.

Personally I also really dug the whole musical theme of everything, from the Dolems to all the other references they put in there. I'd definitely recommend watching it if you like mecha stuff.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The best part of RahXephon is Hemisphere.

And the SRW MX rendition of it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They even got Tiffany Grant in on the English dub!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Someone once described it to me as "unfinished ideas for Eureka Seven that got left on the cutting room floor" which seems apt.

Eureka Seven came out three years after RahXephon, so the relation between the shows is a little different.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Eureka Seven came out three years after RahXephon, so the relation between the shows is a little different.

Huh, I must be thinking of something else, then. I know it was that exact phrase.

EDIT: Probably Xam'd, then, which I still haven't seen.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
3.33 has a release date in the US finally! Too bad it's the 18th of February.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS1DM2S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Gaseous Snake posted:

3.33 has a release date in the US finally! Too bad it's the 18th of February.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS1DM2S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, $30-35. That's pretty steep, even for a Blu-Ray. Though I guess the Evangelion Perfect collection is going for close to $200, so who can tell what's reasonable or not anymore.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
At least the US cover doesn't look like total rear end
http://www.amazon.de/Evangelion-3-33-Blu-ray-Special-Edition/dp/B00EZCVFGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385293523&sr=8-1&keywords=evangelion+3.33
ugh...

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

cafel posted:

Wow, $30-35. That's pretty steep, even for a Blu-Ray. Though I guess the Evangelion Perfect collection is going for close to $200, so who can tell what's reasonable or not anymore.

All TV editions of Eva are officially out of print. RightStuf and Amazon have been selling through their excess stock this year and all sets finally went out of stock recently. As with high demand products that recently go out of stock and are out-of-print, the prices are high for any remaining copies (see Bandai's stock after everything went out of print/out of stock as well. It doesn't reflect on anything that is in stock or will be in stock shortly like the 3.33 release.

In addition, Amazon hasn't applied their usual higher discount to the release as it was just solicited last week. $30-35 USD is the MSRP for the title (just like 2.22). Amazon will have a much cheaper price between now and February since they have a good relationship with Funimation.

It's easy to tell what's reasonable if you know what's in stock and what's not. It's not that difficult to find decent deals for Funimation titles.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

cafel posted:

Things must have changed a lot since I last bought physical media versions of anime, since $30 for a DVD with 3-4 episodes used to be par for the course.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Does anyone else feel bad for Matarael? He kinda got a bum deal in this "be a world-shattering nightmare" gig. All his evil brothers and sisters are flying around with crazy designs, destroying the minds of children, leveling entire cities, and generally being awesome. I'm giving a free pass to crazy-dancing-gemini guy and lava-manta-ray guy because they had the decency to take effort to kill.

Suddenly, here comes a fat stupid spider that moves at a glacial pace and whose only form of attack requires him to stand perfectly still directly above the target. I understand the point of the episode is to show how vulnerable humanity is without its shiny new god-toys, but any monster that can be defeated by "the electricity not being off" really deserves some sympathy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ultimatemegax posted:

All TV editions of Eva are officially out of print. RightStuf and Amazon have been selling through their excess stock this year and all sets finally went out of stock recently. As with high demand products that recently go out of stock and are out-of-print, the prices are high for any remaining copies (see Bandai's stock after everything went out of print/out of stock as well. It doesn't reflect on anything that is in stock or will be in stock shortly like the 3.33 release.

Y'know, this kind of gets me hoping that Funimation will get the rights for the dub if Gainax (and/or whoever the distributor is Japan-side) decides to do a 20th anniversary remaster, if only to get some new copies in circulation and to bring down the price to something saner.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Regalingualius posted:

Y'know, this kind of gets me hoping that Funimation will get the rights for the dub if Gainax (and/or whoever the distributor is Japan-side) decides to do a 20th anniversary remaster, if only to get some new copies in circulation and to bring down the price to something saner.
Madman (AU company) tried to renew rights to the TV series and old movies and was denied on the Japanese side until the new movies are done. (Kinda puzzles me a little bit since Starchild owns international rights to the older series and NTV has international rights to the new movie version) It's highly probable that Starchild will do a BD release (they were already re-mastered by 2003 for the new DVD versions) sometime around 2015 (to tie in with the year the series took place in), so that's when I expect BDs to initially be released. As for the dub, it's in a weird situation where the dub itself may be owned by ADV/Manga Entertainment and not by Starchild (unlike newer series), so any NA release would likely have to be re-dubbed if acquired by anyone but Sentai (though it would easily be done for a BD release of the old series and Sentai would have to do the movies if that holds true).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I honestly would figured that if anyone new managed to wrangle the rights for the original series stuff, they'd have to re-do the dub from scratch. The reason I was thinking Funimation was because they've already got the rights to Rebuild, and they've also got at least some of the core cast members from the original on their payroll.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It wouldn't be evangelion without there being some sort of dubbing-related clusterfuck involved, would it?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Couldn't they just licence the vocal tracks* from Sentai? Sounds like a win-win scenario. I just wish they'd release a better-qaulity version of EoE. The blood in particular looks wrong.

*Eva trivia: The vocal track includes the berserk Evas' roaring, which ADV therefore had to redub.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

House Louse posted:

*Eva trivia: The vocal track includes the berserk Evas' roaring, which ADV therefore had to redub.

Which is a drat shame, because instead of replicating the method by which the roars were made (recording Megumi Hayashibara screaming and then pitching it down) they just inserted some canned siren soundbytes for the Death:Rebirth movie.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

mr. stefan posted:

(recording Megumi Hayashibara screaming and then pitching it down)
:stare:

That is pretty amazing. Is that how they did it in the series, or just for the movies?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

:stare:

That is pretty amazing. Is that how they did it in the series, or just for the movies?

I'm fairly certain that's the way its always been done, since the example showing it to me (a youtube video that I can't find anymore) was of unit 01 going berserk on Zeruel. From what I can tell of my copies of the episodes, the dub team tried on at least a couple occasions to rip the japanese audio and splice it into the english dub track.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Definitive version of Cruel Angel Thesis

Edit: Posted before :doh:, in my defense I searched for soundclound links but whatever.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 1, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pro click.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It was posted a while back, in YouTube form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
On the first page, even

Yushiro
Apr 10, 2003

Looks like Funimation will have 3.0 playing in theaters starting January 10th. A trailer with the dub cast has been posted.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2838

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Yushiro posted:

Looks like Funimation will have 3.0 playing in theaters starting January 10th. A trailer with the dub cast has been posted.

Oh cool that's not too far away from Univ of Washington so I could go and watch that pretty easily. Remind me to rewatch 1.0 and 2.0 to get up to speed on this one. I saw 3.0 few months ago and was eh on it but may give it another go to see if it's any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yushiro posted:

I'm assuming they haven't listed the Canadian theaters yet? I'm hoping it's in my area (Calgary), or at least within spitting distance.