Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
I missed half the series and there's an angry guy with an eyepatch??? And why didn't he help those people in the mud. Can someone explain what's happened until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm watching tonight's episode right now so I don't want to look around the thread and possibly spoil it for myself, but who is the actor that plays the guy that said he was a tank driver? I know him from somewhere but I can't place him to save my life.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm watching tonight's episode right now so I don't want to look around the thread and possibly spoil it for myself, but who is the actor that plays the guy that said he was a tank driver? I know him from somewhere but I can't place him to save my life.

Kirk Acevado.

Oz, Fringe, Band of Brothers.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Astroman posted:

I thought this was a really deep episode.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Yeah this episode was great.

HonorableTB posted:

I actually like the Governor episodes. To me, it is a great explanation of the Governor's single-track mindset and gives a lot of insight into the way the Gov thinks.

Yeah, count me in on this. Whatever problems there are with the Governor I find myself enjoying his episodes this season a lot more than the prison and their drama.

It's kind of a shock in a way to see the potential the show has when it focuses on other characters and their stories instead of always staying with Ricks group, which I'm honestly kind of bored with, maybe because I never thought they were particularly interesting in the first place or very good actors.

I still remember that episode from season 2 where Rick, Dale, and Glenn meet Michael Raymond-James (guy from Terriers and Once Upon a Time) in a bar and the whole scene just blew me out of the water because of how much better an actor and more interesting a character Michael Raymond-James was.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I liked these episodes too, this one more than the last, but the ~governor leading his army against the prison~ again? Come on.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought the episode wasn't that bad (aside from Martinez's death) and I agree that any kind of characterization for the governor is a good thing since he basically had to come back, but I'm still pretty annoyed that all they've ultimately managed to do was go right back to having the Governor vs Rick in a big dumb gunfight. Gonna hold off on complaining about that too much until we actually see the episode, but here's hoping it isn't just a repeat of last season's finale except this time with a tank.

e: And I actually laughed when I saw the tagline for the mid-season finale at the end of the preview for next week's episode. "ALL WILL FIGHT. SOME WILL FALL." Gee, I wonder who will die, the characters we've been with for 3 and a half seasons, or these random dozen people that we met and were introduced to in the last two episodes.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 25, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

-Blackadder- posted:

I still remember that episode from season 2 where Rick, Dale, and Glenn meet Michael Raymond-James (guy from Terriers and Once Upon a Time) in a bar and the whole scene just blew me out of the water because of how much better an actor and more interesting a character Michael Raymond-James was.

Yeah, that was pretty easily the best episode of season 2. I was sure MRJ was going to be a recurring character too so it was disappointing to see him die, but the way Rick took him out was such a great moment and evolution of his character that it still rules.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

THE PWNER posted:

I'm hard of hearing and couldn't really understand the exchange that set the gov off, can anyone transcribe it for me please?

MARTINEZ: Some things you just can't come back from. They become a part of who you are. Either you live with them or you don't.
GOVERNOR: Well you seem to be living with them pretty well.
MARTINEZ: Heh. So are you. Family, they brought you back. You're lucky, I couldn't do that again. Couldn't risk it. Couldn't sleep at night, knowing I was gonna lose 'em.
GOVERNOR: I'm not gonna lose them.
MARTINEZ: Yeah.
GOVERNOR: Wait, you, uh, you don't think you can keep this place safe?
MARTINEZ: I'll try. Hopefully we'll be prepared for whatever comes. Now you're here, maybe we can share the crown... Ah jesus, I should have taken some golf lessons bef-

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Cythrelo posted:

MARTINEZ: Some things you just can't come back from. They become a part of who you are. Either you live with them or you don't.
MARTINEZ: Heh. So are you. Family, they brought you back. You're lucky, I couldn't do that again. Couldn't risk it. Couldn't sleep at night, knowing I was gonna lose 'em.
MARTINEZ: I'll try. Hopefully we'll be prepared for whatever comes. Now you're here, maybe we can share the crown... Ah jesus, I should have taken some golf lessons bef-

Thanks a lot!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: After last week I thought they were going to do something interesting with the governor actually flesh out a character for the first time. Shame on me I guess.

This show is a real piece of poo poo, but it's just so drat entertaining I'll probably watch it forever.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 25, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I did enjoy the Governor centric episodes, but it feels like this is what should have happened the first time he tried to attack the prison. Only if Andrea was completely turned to his side and that gave him his new sense of family. Kind of makes the last couple of episodes feel irrelevant to relationships and just the overall plot. Next week is the 17th episode of Season 3.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: After last week I thought they were going to do something interesting with the governor actually flesh out a character for the first time. Shame on me I guess.

This show is a real piece of poo poo, but it's just so drat entertaining I'll probably watch it forever.

The whole thing strikes me as the writers really, really wanting to reboot Woodsbury into what it should have been the first time, and as such, I give them credit.

I don't think this next attack will come down to a bunch of people getting bullets at their feet and pulling a "RUN AWAY RUN AWAY" 30 seconds later. More importantly the new survivors are people that they've helped us get to know; everyone in Woodsbury felt like a dumb red shirt or minion. Did anyone care about any of them? It was a huge, huge mistake. I didn't care when they got all gunned down because I didn't give a poo poo about those people.

VDay posted:

e: And I actually laughed when I saw the tagline for the mid-season finale at the end of the preview for next week's episode. "ALL WILL FIGHT. SOME WILL FALL." Gee, I wonder who will die, the characters we've been with for 3 and a half seasons, or these random dozen people that we met and were introduced to in the last two episodes.

I would highly suspect that some major characters are going to die next episode. At least one.

You know what would be kind of awesome (even though I like the characters?) Starting the next episode up with the Governor taking the shot and killing both Michonne and Herschel. I don't really want either dead but if they committed to something that huge, that out of the blue, the rest of the episode would be a nail biter no matter what.

I just can't help but thinking "Serious losses" is what Rick's group needs right now to keep things going.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 25, 2013

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This season just reeks of trying to desperately undo the damage that was done last season. Some of it for the better, I think. Kirkman seems to be trying to do THE REAL JAIL HOUSE MASSACRE/GOVERNOR STORY to make up for the character's horrible decent into the live action cartoon...eh. It feels more earned at this point, strangely. I don't know. I wasn't feeling it at all last season. Maybe its because this one is a little more interesting.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Talking Dead Sneak Peek: During the Governor's speech, he said something like, "They're gonna realize their people are gone." Does that refer to Herschel and/or Michonne? :smith:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Hybrid tank though

When it runs out of fuel everyone pushes? Zombie sled dog team? Or did they figure out how to use Doc brown's technology to make fuel for his DeLorean?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cythrelo posted:

Ah, clearly gov was offended by the though of golf lessons.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 25, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My disappointment knows no bounds. They threw away all the potential built up in the last episode to make some sort of point about how Gov' can't escape his evil nature, I guess. :smith:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Red Crown posted:

They spend two episodes resurrecting a character to show us that the character hasn't changed and is going to take almost exactly the same actions he did last season. I'm sorry, but his story was told. He was a family man who had a good thing going with a town, lieutenants and a girl (Andrea), but deep-seeded violent tendencies drive him towards the use of overwhelming violence in the name of survival. That is exactly what got established in this episode, nothing more. It's the same god drat thing that happened last season, except shoved down your through in 2 episodes instead of 5 or 6.

Well, not really. They did the survival angle better this season. Last season it was just being evil to be evil. That whole morals vs survival didn't come about last season.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I was hoping for better but wasn't really expecting more than this, unfortunately.
Welp, at least it wasn't the governor tossing the rats, guess I should be thankful for small blessings.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

THE PWNER posted:

I'm hard of hearing and couldn't really understand the exchange that set the gov off, can anyone transcribe it for me please?

"Now that you're here we can kinda share the crown"
*whack*
"I don't want it"

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Awesome ep.

But then the entire season has been awesome from start to finish. Loved the symbolism of the cabin.

I also liked the tiny bit of humanisation in the govenor in that he knew what he was about to do and initially tried to run away from it.

But no poetic death I can think of can truely repay the gov.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
On a lighter note, the actor that plays Aidan, on Being Human was a walker " Days Gone By"

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Samuel_Witwer

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

joebuddah posted:

On a lighter note, the actor that plays Aidan, on Being Human was a walker " Days Gone By"

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Samuel_Witwer
That's a weird form of English you're using. Commas in random places, missing key words to make sentences make sense. Glad to have you, joebuddah. Oh, hell, just to be nice, I'll find a way to translate your post into Actual English:

"On a lighter note (although I don't know how or why this is a lighter note), the actor who plays Aidan on Being Human was the dead soldier/walker in the tank in the pilot episode Days Gone Bye."

He was also Crashdown on Battlestar Galactica and provided the voice of, and basis of the modeling for, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed's Starkiller/Galen Marek.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!
I just... don't give a poo poo about the Governor at all. Give me more Carol.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I wonder which one of these is more likely to happen:

1: People with absolutely no idea how to crew a tank miraculously learn to do so in a day and attack the prison, firing perfectly accurate shots
2: People with absolutely no idea how to crew a tank do nothing useful/probably kill their own people by accident
3: Tank plays no part at all

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
4: They realize that an unmaintained tank left to sit in the middle of nowhere for a year or so is about as useful as its weight in scrap metal.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

This is so dumb. The only thing that's worth anything in the prison is the perimeter. If the tank takes that poo poo down, all you have is a lovely cellblock with no food or water. Yeah, the building can withstand a massive amount of zombies, but if you can't get in or out, then what's the point?

Dumbest plan ever.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That episode started out really good and quickly escalated into being really dumb.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
They've made actual characters that people like out of Carol, Michonne, and Herschel this season. That's a pretty big accomplishment.

Also means they're the most likely to die.

E: not that they were unlikable before, they just didn't have well developed personalities.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So, if the Governor wasn't able to take his new family out of the camp due to the zombie mud party, then how was he able to drive the old lead sled truck to the prison? Also, did the mud zombies get placed there for protection of the camp or did they all just want a spa day?

Also, I assume that next week Carol is going to slit all of the throats of the governor's people right before the attack. Then there will be an a slow motion sequence where Carol and Darryl run towards each other to embrace in the middle of the prison field while Dream Weaver plays.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

"Now that you're here we can kinda share the crown"
*whack*
"I don't want it. . . YET! Give me two days, and then I'll get to murderin' to ensure my place at the top."
Fixed that to reflect the part of the episode I just can't get past. Either he's so blindly afraid of leadership and its pitfalls that he's willing to create a vacuum in the leadership position (something that he shouldn't want to do!) out of a fit of fear-induced rage, or he's willing to take up the leadership mantle by way of bloodshed.

Those are two opposite positions. To go from one to the other in the matter of days is contrived.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

THE PWNER posted:

1: People with absolutely no idea how to crew a tank miraculously learn to do so in a day and attack the prison, firing perfectly accurate shots
2: People with absolutely no idea how to crew a tank do nothing useful/probably kill their own people by accident

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were in another room during the scenes where the bald brother mentioned that he was a tank operator in the army.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

THE PWNER posted:

4: Kirk Acevedo comes up with a devious plan, says 'gently caress this tank poo poo' and puts his skills as a former ice cream truck driver to the test, entire prison falls for the cunning trap.

I'm really kind of mad they killed off Martinez. He seemed interesting, and maybe like he was a sorta 'fair' leader. And he's better looking than Gov.(though I basically won a bet with my dad. 'Shumpert's not gonna show back up. He'll just be 'died off-screen.' 'Who?')

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

canuckanese posted:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were in another room during the scenes where the bald brother mentioned that he was a tank operator in the army.

Of course he was. Why would you expect someone watching this show to actually see all parts of it BEFORE saying something stupid as though he were covering new ground that the showrunners are such idiots for forgetting about?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

Because nothing says human like beating one of your old friends with a golf club and then shanking some dude amirite?

Whoa, humans don't do lovely things? Amazing.

E: almost every single complaint is based on "I hated the lovely, hamfistedness of last season and refuse to go along with understanding that an ostensibly cruel, disgusting, and power hungry character would act in-line with his established character because of my personal preference."

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 25, 2013

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I can't wait for the attack to fail so the Governor can mow down his crew again.

As a person who liked the previous episode, eh, what the hell was that poo poo. I got the Martinez thing as a sort of "I'll do whatever it takes to protect my new family from my past" deal, but killing the kid and then going and pointing a gun at his brother was straight-up insane. I'm not very close to my brother but if we watched each others asses for over a year and a half(or however long since Z day) and some dickhead murdered him and then threatened to murder me, I'd wait until the guy's back was turned and stab him in the back of the head. But nope, apparently this guy agreed to be his second-in-command under duress and no takesies-backsies!

The only situations I can think of where this doesn't end up as a total re-tread of S3 seem nonsensical. Which makes me think something wholly unexpected is going to happen. Carol hooks up with the army and leads them to the prison, or whoever killed those campers shows up. Some ridiculous poo poo like that.

And who is feeding those goddanged zombies >:O

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

That DICK! posted:

The only situations I can think of where this doesn't end up as a total re-tread of S3 seem nonsensical. Which makes me think something wholly unexpected is going to happen. Carol hooks up with the army and leads them to the prison, or whoever killed those campers shows up. Some ridiculous poo poo like that.

lol It's a good thing that you and most Forum Posters don't write for the show, or apparently read the comics.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

SocketWrench posted:

Well, not really. They did the survival angle better this season. Last season it was just being evil to be evil. That whole morals vs survival didn't come about last season.

It was so paper thin though. They use one episode to establish that maybe he has a heart after all and take like half an hour to suggest that he's considered not murdering large numbers of people. And then he becomes exactly the same character he was.

And you know what? We've done this before. I mean, this is what The Walking Dead has always been. One of the primary elements of Shane and Rick's conflict was that Shane was willing to eschew morality in order to ensure the survival of the camp and of what he viewed as his family. Eventually, Shane's desire to protect Lori and Carl becomes extremely violent and he tries to murder Rick. It was well developed over two seasons and culminated in a meaningful way - the conflict displaces them from the farm, the only end product of the feud is a pile of bodies.

The Governor's arc this season is a kind of weird mesh of that and what he was in season 3. You take the same themes that Shane explored in season 2 and mash them together with the Governor's S3 hatred of Michonne and you have S4 governor. I'm just not getting anything new from this storyline.

Cythrelo posted:

I do want to say that I loved this exchange, and then the short conversation he has with Kirk Acevado where he talks about how he was abused as a child. Honestly, this is the insight I wanted in S3 that would have turned him from a one dimensional character into at least a two dimensional character. I really buy that in the lawless environment of the post-zombified world his deep-seeded fear for his own survival would be expressed through the kinds of unbounded violence he's shown.

The thing is, if we'd learned that sometime in S3, I would have been completely satisfied with the character. Reintroducing him just to add one note of development like this wasn't worth it. Besides, it isn't even a big part of what the character is - it still looks like he's stuck on how much he hates Michonne and how much he needs to protect his family. That just isn't all that interesting anymore.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mexcillent posted:

lol It's a good thing that you and most Forum Posters don't write for the show, or apparently read the comics.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. It's a bad idea. I just don't see any other solution outside of the boring S3 re-hash. Did you actually read the post, or are you just that content in the fact that you read a picture-book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

That DICK! posted:

And who is feeding those goddanged zombies >:O

Martinez. :smug:

... Oh, you mean at the prison?

• Locked thread