Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darthemed posted:

Aside from Rob Zombie, what directors are active today that seem like they have a genuine fondness for the genre?

The V/H/S crew comes to mind, but the only one of them I can name is Ty West. Admittedly, I haven't been paying too much attention to new releases, but a lot of the impressions I get (even with the Evil Dead remake, where they're gushing with admiration for the original) suggest that it's just someone who either ended up in the right place to get assigned to the horror film by some exec who wants to find the next Saw franchise, or they're just dropping into horror for a pit stop. Of course, I'll probably remember some obvious exceptions five minutes after posting this. And is the Asian horror film scene going through a dip in activity or something? Did American J-horror remakes dry up their own market?

There's also Lucky McKee, but I feel like I haven't heard anything from him recently (checking IMDB shows that he did (a remake of?) All Cheerleaders Die this year, which I don't think I've heard a peep about in this thread). Similarly, it seems like the French New Brutalism wave is starting to subside, now that a fair number of the people involved have had their chance to record their statements.

Who's still notably active and enthusiastic in the horror film field these days?

Ben Wheatley. I mean the guy who made Repo: The Genetic Opera and The Devils Carnival loves horror but I don't know what that amounts to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Basebf555 posted:

I actually think Zombie stayed truer to the Myers character than most people think.

He humanized him. It goes the opposite direction of the original. Youre not supposed to humanize him. He talks as a child, he grunts when he's stabbing people.

Michael Myers isn't supposed to be seen as a human more than a shape. Thats why he was known simply as the shape in the first movie.

In the original he had absolutely no motive. He just killed people. By giving him an elaborate backstory you essentially turn him into a completely different character.

Cole fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 26, 2013

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
My favorite part of Jack Frost is when the policeman shoots a puddle of water.

Also that the sequel takes place on a tropical island.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, that's what I loved about the original. There was no why. He goes after Laurie...just because. She walked up to the wrong door at the wrong time. The sheer arbitrary nature of it all was what made it so terrifying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

He humanized him. It goes the opposite direction of the original. Youre not supposed to humanize him. He talks as a child, he grunts when he's stabbing people.

Michael Myers isn't supposed to be seen as a human more than a shape. Thats why he was known simply as the shape in the first movie.

In the original he had absolutely no motive. He just killed people. By giving him an elaborate backstory you essentially turn him into a completely different character.

"The Shape" is something that Carpenter was into, and it is a cool idea, but I don't think he really pulls it off in Halloween. He's referred to as Michael Myers several times and not The Shape, so I don't know how people walking out of the movie were supposed to realize his name is "The Shape" without looking at the credits. That's just semantics though.

In Zombie's Halloween, Michael is given a backstory, that's true, but I don't really feel like its there to explain why he is evil. That, I agree, would have been a problem. The backstory does humanize him as a child, but I feel like that only further drives home the point that when he is gone, he's all the way gone. You see the kid go away for good, and the evil take over, which I liked. But some people seem to think that the movie is saying that a lovely childhood caused Michael to go crazy and turn into a killer and I just don't see that.

In the original there are several points where Michael is not treated like some mysterious phantom, he's just a mental patient(a really really strong one). At the beginning he scrambles over the roof of the car in his bathrobe and drives off. Towards the end when Laurie pulls his mask up and you can see he's just a guy with deformities. Its that contradiction that I think makes it work all the more and I think Zombie uses that in his version as well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Profondo Rosso posted:

just watched dead friend aka ghost aka the most generic asian horror film ever. Also contains roughly 45 minutes of pointless drama with 1 dimensional characters. I will never watch another korean horror film not called tale of two sisters

The Host is pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ben Wheatley. I mean the guy who made Repo: The Genetic Opera and The Devils Carnival loves horror but I don't know what that amounts to.

The Devil's Carnival has an interesting concept and good actors and singers, but the music is godawful. There's rarely anything approximating a melody and many of the lines just don't scan. If it weren't for the set and costume design there'd be nothing memorable about it at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's made two tuneless musicals in a row and it makes me mad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

In the original there are several points where Michael is not treated like some mysterious phantom, he's just a mental patient(a really really strong one). At the beginning he scrambles over the roof of the car in his bathrobe and drives off. Towards the end when Laurie pulls his mask up and you can see he's just a guy with deformities. Its that contradiction that I think makes it work all the more and I think Zombie uses that in his version as well.

He's not even deformed. Just a slightly goofy looking dude.

Cole posted:

Saying he had no motive is ridiculous. If he had no motivations, why did he keep killing sexy teenage girls and hanging out in the room where he killed his hot naked sister? Which is apart from the fact that the remake isn't "supposed" to do anything and differentiating itself from the original is really no bad thing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

flashy_mcflash posted:

I saw All Cheerleaders and it was a lowlight of 2013 horror for me. By far my least favourite of anything McKee's put his name on. Good soundtrack though.

The original is a short film he did right out of film school. I think you can find it on youtube.
Well, glad to hear nothing good was missed there.

I was shown Repo while visiting a (former) friend, and it's the best example of style over substance in film that I've ever seen. It seems like there might be potential there, if they scrapped 95% of the actors for people who can actually sing and did it as an animated film. The Devil's Carnival does seem similar; cool premise likely marred by stapled-in lackluster musical numbers.
Anyone seen 11-11-11, or interested in the upcoming Abattoir?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The guys who did Almost Human (the movie not the show - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2325517/) really love horror and have very similar tastes to most of the people in this thread but unfortunately the movie is a little too ambitious for the budget they had and it comes off a little disjointed. There's some good ideas here and it's a good effort for a first feature though.

e: oh, and if you're looking for a semi-horror (it's more fantasy than horror, about the same ratio as Gremlins) to show some friends over Christmas, check out Rare Exports: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/ . It's a couple of years old but is pretty sweet and has a bit of an edge to it, and reminds me of the 80's kids movies that weren't afraid of getting their hands a little dirty and mildly scaring the kids watching it.

quote:

On Christmas Eve in Finland, Santa Claus is unearthed in an archaeological dig. Soon after, children start disappearing, leading a boy and his father to capture Santa and, with the help of fellow hunters, they look to sell him back to the corporation that sponsored the dig. And then there's Santa's elves, who are determined to free their leader...

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 26, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

He's made two tuneless musicals in a row and it makes me mad.

God, I know. I really enjoyed his take on Mother's Day too, but both of his musicals have been total wastes of time. His film The Barrens has some ok ideas, but never quite gets going sadly.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Repo is a bad movie but I kind of admire certain parts of it. Namely the casting and the sets.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't really like either one better than the other. The remake has aspects of the book that the original seems to gloss over and vice versa, but the book has much more meat than either film. I think there's value in watching both movies and reading the book. The Eli character is better in the original movie though, because that character isn't explicitly female like in Let Me In. I was disappointed that Reeves discarded that aspect of the story.

After reading the book I was somewhat disappointed that both films did away entirely with her "dad" surviving the fall and becoming a deformed monster predator who can't die. It's like the entire 3rd act of the story.

As a film, LTROI is far superior in nearly every way. As an adaptation, LMI is better at portraying the relentless bullying and it also has that cop character briefly I guess, but the remake glosses over ALL of the gender subtlety, and the cinematography doesn't nearly capture the same feel of the isolation of a Swedish winter like the book and original film do.

It's not an offensive remake like most remakes are, but I really don't understand why people would prefer it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I watched Prisoners recently and even though it isn't a horror movie, I was looking for some horror movies that were similar. Quality, eery, disturbing abduction type stuff.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xandoom posted:

So I watched Prisoners recently and even though it isn't a horror movie, I was looking for some horror movies that were similar. Quality, eery, disturbing abduction type stuff.

"The Woman" kind of works around these themes.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On an unrelated note: are there any good horror movies set in a prison? Especially with convicts as the protagonists.

I've already seen Alien 3 (and I'm a big defender of the film) but I'm looking for something in a more contemporary setting.
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976, I haven't seen the remake) is basically a horror movie. It's sort of Night of the Living Dead set in a prison, the zombies are gang members with guns.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 27, 2013

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On an unrelated note: are there any good horror movies set in a prison? Especially with convicts as the protagonists.

I've already seen Alien 3 (and I'm a big defender of the film) but I'm looking for something in a more contemporary setting.

The Suffering is a pretty great horror video game set in a prison.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Industrial posted:

The Suffering is a pretty great horror video game set in a prison.

I've played it!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976, I haven't seen the remake) is basically a horror movie. It's sort of Night of the Living Dead set in a prison, the zombies are gang members with guns.

While I've meant to watch this since it's a Carpenter film, it's kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for. I really like horror movies that take nominally unlikeable characters and reveal their humanity and basic decency by contrasting them with literal monsters. I love Tremors, Attack the Block, I already mentioned Alien 3, etc.

My dream horror movie -- the one I'd produce if somebody handed me a couple million dollars -- would be a werewolf film about an ex-con, which would deliberately avoid the whole "there's no cure for lycanthropy but death" thing and use it as a metaphor for how the public thinks of convicts. So... yeah, "gang members with guns instead of zombies" isn't quite what I'm after.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
If it helps any, it does deal with some current inmates showing they're not terrible human beings and helping in the battle with the gang members. It doesn't just paint them as monsters and actually gives them a fair amount of depth .

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah I didn't make that clear, and it's been a while since I watched it, but there's a major plot point revolving around at least one of the inmates helping them fight back against the attacks and having a definite character arc. The gang members assaulting the prison are the ones that are the "monsters", they're rarely shown, don't speak, and are mostly this mysterious, almost inhuman force bent on death and destruction. The movie is really a lot like Night of the Living Dead.

I guess that could be it's own problem, but it didn't seem like the movie was targeting or demonizing any particular group, it seems to be more about the general fear of gang violence, and police resources being outmatched.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My dream horror movie -- the one I'd produce if somebody handed me a couple million dollars -- would be a werewolf film about an ex-con, which would deliberately avoid the whole "there's no cure for lycanthropy but death" thing and use it as a metaphor for how the public thinks of convicts.

Not gonna lie, this sounds like a really good idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Assault on Precinct 13 is an homage to Rio Bravo. It's not really a horror movie at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Assault on Precinct 13 is an homage to Rio Bravo. It's not really a horror movie at all.

Yeah I was kinda wondering why we were talking about it in this thread. I wouldn't classify it as horror at all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Saying he had no motive is ridiculous. If he had no motivations, why did he keep killing sexy teenage girls and hanging out in the room where he killed his hot naked sister? Which is apart from the fact that the remake isn't "supposed" to do anything and differentiating itself from the original is really no bad thing.

The issue with the remake is that it differentiates itself...by making it like every other horror movie that ripped off Halloween and removing the main thing that makes Halloween unique in the first place.

The "scary" thing about Halloween is that evil is not necessarily something that is created or nurtured or has a reason - it can come from anywhere. And that death is random and can come at any time for any reason. Thus, you have a NORMAL suburban family that comes home one day only to find out that their NORMAL son has killed his sister. Then, on a RANDOM Halloween, that kid RANDOMLY returns to his hometown and kills RANDOM people because one teen RANDOMLY showed up to the house he was at.

The sequels missed that, and every other horror movie has some reason (he was mentally deformed, he was burned, you messed with a cursed place, you summoned something, you were related to evil) that gives most watchers an "out" where it's not truly frightening because it doesn't much address the realities of life like the anywhere, any time nature of Halloween. The remake could have brought this back to modern audiences for the first time since the original Halloween, but it wasted that opportunity.

It wasn't bad, it was just a waste of a remake since what it could have done had more potential than what it did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xandoom posted:

Yeah I was kinda wondering why we were talking about it in this thread. I wouldn't classify it as horror at all.

You obviously haven't sat through the remake.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

That is true I have only seen the original.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

The issue with the remake is that it differentiates itself...by making it like every other horror movie that ripped off Halloween and removing the main thing that makes Halloween unique in the first place.

The "scary" thing about Halloween is that evil is not necessarily something that is created or nurtured or has a reason - it can come from anywhere. And that death is random and can come at any time for any reason. Thus, you have a NORMAL suburban family that comes home one day only to find out that their NORMAL son has killed his sister. Then, on a RANDOM Halloween, that kid RANDOMLY returns to his hometown and kills RANDOM people because one teen RANDOMLY showed up to the house he was at.

The sequels missed that, and every other horror movie has some reason (he was mentally deformed, he was burned, you messed with a cursed place, you summoned something, you were related to evil) that gives most watchers an "out" where it's not truly frightening because it doesn't much address the realities of life like the anywhere, any time nature of Halloween. The remake could have brought this back to modern audiences for the first time since the original Halloween, but it wasted that opportunity.

It wasn't bad, it was just a waste of a remake since what it could have done had more potential than what it did.

I never really felt like the original Halloween was as random as you and others make it out to be. Do they ever say that Michael was a totally normal child? I guess I just always assumed that since he stabbed his sister he was in some way a very hosed up kid. You're focused on how random everything is, but he goes back to his hometown, and shows up at his old house to kill anyone inside.... just like he did when he was a kid. I didn't feel like Zombie showing his childhood really changed anything because its pretty clear in Zombie's version that Michael is evil, but his family doesn't pay attention to him and so doesn't notice. That's a lot different than saying Michael went bad because he was traumatized as a child, which is an erroneous complaint I see often about Zombie's version.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

I never really felt like the original Halloween was as random as you and others make it out to be. Do they ever say that Michael was a totally normal child? I guess I just always assumed that since he stabbed his sister he was in some way a very hosed up kid. You're focused on how random everything is, but he goes back to his hometown, and shows up at his old house to kill anyone inside.... just like he did when he was a kid. I didn't feel like Zombie showing his childhood really changed anything because its pretty clear in Zombie's version that Michael is evil, but his family doesn't pay attention to him and so doesn't notice. That's a lot different than saying Michael went bad because he was traumatized as a child, which is an erroneous complaint I see often about Zombie's version.

It's very obviously not "random" at all. Michael hates female sexuality, he gets hosed up by a woman poking him with phallic objects. When we're seeing his murder of his sister from his perspective, she doesn't scream or cry, she moans. It sounds like she's having sex. Like Carpenter said, his weakness is female sexuality, "The one girl who is the most sexually uptight just keeps stabbing this guy with a long knife. She's the most sexually frustrated. She's the one that's killed him. Not because she's a virgin but because all that sexually repressed energy starts coming out. She uses all those phallic symbols on the guy." His victims are all teenage girls his sister's age or their boyfriends (plus that one dude who he kills to steal his clothes, but he's so ancillary we don't even watch him die). It's the most generic serial killer motivation of them all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Michael in Zombie's version suffers mental and possibly physical abuse and comes from a supremely screwed up household. He also exhibits obvious psychological issues that aren't noticed.

Therefore, it becomes "this wouldn't happen with my kid because he's obviously not in this situation" for the majority of viewers. It pushes the fear off to a voyeuristic scare from looking at what can happen to other people as opposed to internalizing it as "this could happen to me," or "this could be my kid." It's like every other horror movie in that manner. "I don't go to summer camps where a bunch of people died so this wouldn't happen to me, I'm thrilled by the jump scares in watching though."

Halloween is a very "real" thing in that death, by and large, is a random occurrence out of your control that can happen living a rather normal every day existence. Michael's family was cast as normal - he didn't have issues with sexuality because his mom was a stripper that brought abusive men home while he was constantly privy to sexual behavior, he was just a kid from a relatively average family that snapped one day (as he was described in the movie). You don't have to be secretly related to a serial killer - you just have to catch the attention of the wrong person at the wrong time doing a normal errand in every day life to become a target.

That's also why 60% of the movie happens during the day as well, the "evil" isn't maintained almost strictly to darkness (compare how dark Zombie's version is, even during day shots), it is there, midday, when you should otherwise be safe. It's basically pointing out that normality isn't safe, and death could lurk around every corner (and can't be beaten, either).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Michael really described as a normal kid who grew up in a normal household in Halloween? I honestly don't remember that but if you say its there then I'll take your word for it.

Anyway I think my issue here is I interpreted Zombie's Halloween differently than most people. The biggest problem in his home life that I saw was neglect, and Michael appeared to be not right from the very beginning of the movie. I saw it as evil being always present there, but nobody in his life took notice until he did the unthinkable. For me it maintains that idea youre talking about where evil can come from anywhere.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not too sure I buy the notion of audiences and the "out" as discussed above. Even if you take the first film in isolation, a six-year-old killing his sister, going catatonic for fifteen years, then escaping from a medical hospital to kill everyone? You've already let the air out of the It-Could-Happen-To-You tires.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

I have. It's not horror either.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't feel like Zombie showing his childhood really changed anything because its pretty clear in Zombie's version that Michael is evil, but his family doesn't pay attention to him and so doesn't notice. That's a lot different than saying Michael went bad because he was traumatized as a child, which is an erroneous complaint I see often about Zombie's version.

You can't really depict a hosed-up family in a movie and have it not be a commentary on the hosed-up-ness. A movie in which a serial killer had a lovely upbringing is pretty much automatically saying the upbringing had a part in his evilness, unless it goes out of its way somehow to explain how it's not.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xandoom posted:

Have you seen The Loved Ones?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316536/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have not but I will watch it tonight thanks!

I also watched August Underground. I don't get it. It was just a bunch of lovely filmmaking and mindless gore and such. I feel like I'm missing something because to me it was the very definition of a boring tasteless movie. Is it actually smarter, is there a point to it i'm missing or is it just a piece of poo poo?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Xandoom posted:

I have not but I will watch it tonight thanks!

I also watched August Underground. I don't get it. It was just a bunch of lovely filmmaking and mindless gore and such. I feel like I'm missing something because to me it was the very definition of a boring tasteless movie. Is it actually smarter, is there a point to it i'm missing or is it just a piece of poo poo?

He made that one dude fart on the other dude, guy. If that's not high art, I don't wanna know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

I have. It's not horror either.

Well it game me nightmares!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Xandoom posted:

Gone Baby Gone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not too sure I buy the notion of audiences and the "out" as discussed above. Even if you take the first film in isolation, a six-year-old killing his sister, going catatonic for fifteen years, then escaping from a medical hospital to kill everyone? You've already let the air out of the It-Could-Happen-To-You tires.

The second half is just running into a random person at the wrong time in your safe idyllic suburban neighborhood for no apparent connective reasons. That's what's important about Michael not being related to Laurie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The first half of Martyrs (well the first two thirds actually) meets your criteria as well Xandoom.