Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Supersonic Buddha posted:

The guy who composed the music in this game is actually the same guy who composes the music in Pokemon. So there's that.

Well it was Game Freak's first game, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Jesus, Keith, I didn't know you had that kind of anger in you. :stare:

This is "2 hours of Tails Adventure and Sonic R levels of rage" So good.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I had a game like this on my graphing calculator

God drat it Texas Instruments start making modern calculators.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I have never heard of this game but I just discovered that it is the game I played on my graphing calculator all throughout high school.

Never with as much rage, though.

edit: ^^^ hahaha

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

dantheman650 posted:

What a terrible game. Completely reliant on getting the one perfect piece you need to finish.

Um.... that's kind of how two player puzzle games of this nature work.

Have you never experienced waiting for just the right exploding gem on Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Also did you notice the mechanic whereby if you put a load of things between a bottom egg and a top egg so the stack gets destroyed that it puts additional drops on the other person's screen?

it looked like when you just had one thing in between the egg shells it put 3 instead of 2 drops on the other person, and for more than 2 things between it put 4 drops.

I hope that both of you realised but didn't tell the other!!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Not really. I think a mechanic like Mean Bean Machine is much better, in which you can attack the other player to try to force them to lose by reaching the top of the stack. You have an interesting choice with every single piece, because even if you can't make a match with the current piece, you can set up combos for the future. Yoshi is just frustrating because you can be down to just one piece and not get the correct piece you need to clear it. You can't make any progress or do anything interesting while waiting for that piece. It's much like single player Dr. Mario in that sense. Not a good puzzle mechanic, especially for 2-player games.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The real truth is that most two-player puzzle games are very luck-based and developers don't give a poo poo because ruining friendships has long been the goal of game designers.

Upthorn
Apr 29, 2009
That was a goddamn photo finish, and if it weren't for the hatching animation, Keith would totally have won that poo poo.

Excellent video, Ks.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

LOOK HOW HAPPY THAT YOSHI IS! :black101:

This was the greatest moment ever.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

dantheman650 posted:

Not really. I think a mechanic like Mean Bean Machine is much better, in which you can attack the other player to try to force them to lose by reaching the top of the stack. You have an interesting choice with every single piece, because even if you can't make a match with the current piece, you can set up combos for the future. Yoshi is just frustrating because you can be down to just one piece and not get the correct piece you need to clear it. You can't make any progress or do anything interesting while waiting for that piece. It's much like single player Dr. Mario in that sense. Not a good puzzle mechanic, especially for 2-player games.

They didn't realise it in the video, but that's actually how the game works. The more monsters between eggshell pieces when they close, the more monsters drop on the other side. The more usual way to win in 2 player is to get a bottom shell on the very bottom, fill that shell all the way to the top of the screen with monsters, then position it under a top shell. The shell condenses and the opponent goes through like four or five drops of 4 monsters at a time.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I'll have to go on the "unimpressed" side of things for this title. Regardless of the merits of two-player mode, there doesn't seem to be much depth in the game itself, and it's certainly not a quick play. The conclusion of the video seems to be the most fun to be had out of it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Complain about "Yoshi" being slow.

"I WON, I WON DAMMIT, NO YOU SUCK!"

That was pretty much a Kyle and Keith video right there in a nutshell. Faaaaantastic stuff guys, that was real fun to watch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy poo poo, Keith's outdoor voice is louder and angrier than I thought it would be. :stare:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The slo-mo replay was beautiful. :allears:

I forgot I had this game as a kid, and that I played it way more than I should have. After years of being free from its clutching grasp, that music is imprinted into my ear canals once again. Thanks guys.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Oh hey, that place in Cape Cod mall's been a favorite haunt of mine for getting old games for a while now. Spindle City I think it's called? :v: According to a conversation I had with one of the guys who works there, their hiring policy is to hire on guys that know about the retro game reselling market. I remember once getting excited that they had an Earthbound cartridge, only to learn they'd already reserved it for a buyer. :argh:

Jesus christ though, you guys gave my inner child conniptions in that latest video. I don't know if it's my biased having-played-Yoshi-on-GB-as-a-kid knowledge or what, but that was almost infuriating to watch. :psyduck: How did you never notice you pass more pieces on when you get big eggs?

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

That was loving incredible :stare: Poor Keith got robbed.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Reveilled posted:

They didn't realise it in the video, but that's actually how the game works. The more monsters between eggshell pieces when they close, the more monsters drop on the other side. The more usual way to win in 2 player is to get a bottom shell on the very bottom, fill that shell all the way to the top of the screen with monsters, then position it under a top shell. The shell condenses and the opponent goes through like four or five drops of 4 monsters at a time.

This is one of the most standard elements of competitive puzzle games. Pulling off combos buries your opponent. I always check for it because it's nearly always a mechanic.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

JFairfax posted:

Have you never experienced waiting for just the right exploding gem on Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Also did you notice the mechanic whereby if you put a load of things between a bottom egg and a top egg so the stack gets destroyed that it puts additional drops on the other person's screen?

it looked like when you just had one thing in between the egg shells it put 3 instead of 2 drops on the other person, and for more than 2 things between it put 4 drops.

I hope that both of you realised but didn't tell the other!!

Considering how much Keith would go out of his way to clear out the space above an eggshell, I would say they did not.

Also, goodbye to the NES?! There's at least two more games if not three (depending on your view of a specific spin-off character's efforts without Mario) and one of them even is a completely different Mario and Yoshi puzzle game! :colbert:

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

and one of them even is a completely different Mario and Yoshi puzzle game! :colbert:

If it's the game I was going to complain about, you should look it up on Wikipedia. Evidently, it's really a SNES game they ported to the NES.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

ZevGun posted:

If it's the game I was going to complain about, you should look it up on Wikipedia. Evidently, it's really a SNES game they ported to the NES.

They should play both versions. Support esports.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ZevGun posted:

I guess we don't need to be coy. I was talking about Yoshi's Cookie. It was first released on the NES and Game Boy, then later the SNES. I also meant Mario Is Missing and Wario's Woods in my statement, and the first one I think is what you meant, looking them up-the snes version (which isn't identical strictly) was first for that one. Wario's Woods game out on NES first though.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Kabanaw posted:

They should play both versions. Support esports.

support eSports

MLG plays :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZI6I56604

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bathroomrage posted:

Oh hey, that place in Cape Cod mall's been a favorite haunt of mine for getting old games for a while now. Spindle City I think it's called? :v: According to a conversation I had with one of the guys who works there, their hiring policy is to hire on guys that know about the retro game reselling market. I remember once getting excited that they had an Earthbound cartridge, only to learn they'd already reserved it for a buyer. :argh:

Jesus christ though, you guys gave my inner child conniptions in that latest video. I don't know if it's my biased having-played-Yoshi-on-GB-as-a-kid knowledge or what, but that was almost infuriating to watch. :psyduck: How did you never notice you pass more pieces on when you get big eggs?

Is this place Hyannis?

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
The thing you all said we didn't notice I think we both totally noticed. At some point, I went like several full minutes without recieving a single shell top so I just resigned myself to clearing the screen the old fashioned way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo, Keith, that Yoshi hatching animation stole the game right from under you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So you guys aren't planning on Kart Battle, then? I'm disappointed, I was hoping for K vs K fighting game action!

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 18, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was probably the most amazing way a two-player match could have ended. Down to the freakin' wire. That was glorious.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is this place Hyannis?

Yeah.

I know this is one of those questions you guys are probably dreading to be asked, and apologies if it was answered elsewhere and I missed it, but are you going to touch on or do the Phillips CD-i games?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

bathroomrage posted:

I know this is one of those questions you guys are probably dreading to be asked, and apologies if it was answered elsewhere and I missed it, but are you going to touch on or do the Phillips CD-i games?

They played two diffrent versions of the half-rear end japanese computer port of Super Mario Bros. from 1986, I think they might mention them.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I played Yoshi all the time as a lonely child with a bad NES library and the music really took me back. Love that song.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I was messing around with my TI-84 Plus Silver Edition in class the other day to come across a Yoshi clone in some puzzle game pack. It's called Dino Puzzle or something like that, and it's literally the same game, just turned on it's side and lacking Mario and Luigi. It also didn't have a cute little Yoshi come out when you got the egg shells together, which was disappointing :(

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Sartorius posted:

So I was messing around with my TI-84 Plus Silver Edition in class the other day to come across a Yoshi clone in some puzzle game pack. It's called Dino Puzzle or something like that, and it's literally the same game, just turned on it's side and lacking Mario and Luigi. It also didn't have a cute little Yoshi come out when you got the egg shells together, which was disappointing :(

I spent highschool math playing that poo poo but didn't make the connection until you just described it. :aaa:

It's pretty satisfying. :downs: tetris.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Sartorius posted:

The only games I had on my TI calculator were Drug Wars and a space shooter called "Phoenix", if memory serves. The latter was very impressive. Now that I think about it, I had a Mario game as well, but I think it was just the first level/world of Super Mario Land...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I remember Pheonix (sic). It was pretty advanced considering what it was built off of.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

We had TI-82s so they weren't as capable as some calculators, and the most advanced game that would go around would be an x-wing game where you flew around shooting tie fighters. It actually worked pretty drat well.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man I love it when one of you gets Mad At Videogames. That ending was just too perfect.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Mario Teaches Typing (1991)
Part 0/4 Bonus: Install [Youtube]
Part 1/4 (LP pt.38) [Youtube]

Strap in, motherfuckers. We're riding this one til the wheels fall off.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

19LettersLong posted:

Mario Teaches Typing (1991)
Part 0/4 Bonus: Install [Youtube]
Part 1/4 (LP pt.38) [Youtube]

Strap in, motherfuckers. We're riding this one til the wheels fall off.

I'll always have a soft spot for Mario Teaches typing. It taught me to type.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ha ha I remember playing this in grade school! Yesss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
This is an auditory nightmare. Mario Teaches Typing is the sound a demon makes.

• Locked thread