Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NeilPerry posted:

I think KOTOR 1 and/or 2 are pretty good in that regard, but I can't remember specific instances.

Seconding this. You can do some pretty hosed up stuff by going Dark Side. Especially some of the stuff at the end of KOTOR 1, that poo poo was crazy. For some reason KOTOR 1 was the only game of this kind to convince me to go Dark Side. I'm not sure why but I can't bring myself to be evil in games anymore, I'm always a goody-two-shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

khy posted:

So here's one.

I want a game where I can be evil. Not cartoony evil like Evil Genius or Overlord, I mean REALLY loving evil.

For example : In Fallout 3, one of the quests has you make a kid cry. You can beat him up, or convince him that his parents are sending him to military school, or convince him that his parents are divorcing because of him.

Or you can murder his parents and tell him about it to get him to cry. This is the level of evil that I want.

Something with multiple ways to complete objectives (ALA Hitman) would be pretty awesome.

What good games are there where I can be a vicious, evil, sadistic bastard?

Planescape Tormet for sure. If you at all like that game, Baldur's Gate 2 has better combat, but a worse story. You can still be really, really evil though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, unlike every other game out there where evil is mindless psychopathy to a ludicrous degree, Planescape allows you to be genuinely cruel and malevolent to the point where you actually start questioning yourself. Hell even if you don't play like that your previous life was exactly like this.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Are there any games that have you exploring a really weird or unusual big city/world? I guess anything really great I'd have heard of already. Something like the part of Jade Empire where you're in the city but the whole game, the Citadel in ME1 or the parts of Dark Souls where you're exploring the abandoned town. I expect RPGs are the main genre you'd be doing this sorta thing in. I don't have a good PC (yet) so console recommendations would be good, heard there are good mods for the Bethesda Elder Scrolls games that add massive Lovecraftian cities to explore under the world. Those would be awesome. Just really unique worlds or settings in general would be nice for a change.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

Are there any games that have you exploring a really weird or unusual big city/world?

Omikron and Pathologic fit. Both are really unique/odd RPGs. Both are on PC, but fairly old so they shouldn't require too beefy of a system.

There's also the entire Myst/Uru series that are about exploring worlds and solving puzzles. On PC, but see above. They all run on pretty minimal hardware nowadays.

Or how about Brutal Legend? It's an Adventure/RTS hybrid in a world inspired by heavy metal album art. You can probably find a console copy dirt cheap.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I've had enough of ultra violence for a while I think, so I'm looking for cute, innocent and nice games that aren't only for kids, or at least are fun for an adult like myself. Something like Animal Crossing would be nice! Any genre is ok.

My systems are PC, 3DS, Wii and PS3

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

V!ntar posted:

I've had enough of ultra violence for a while I think, so I'm looking for cute, innocent and nice games that aren't only for kids, or at least are fun for an adult like myself. Something like Animal Crossing would be nice! Any genre is ok.

Recettear (it has some cartoonish dungeon crawling though.) Don't let the anime fool you: it's a very charming and completely non-creepy game.

Unholy Heights a rather relaxing combination of apartment manager and tower defence.

I'd suggest Long Live the Queen, but that does have some (cutesey) violence and death in it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Are there any games that have you exploring a really weird or unusual big city/world? I guess anything really great I'd have heard of already. Something like the part of Jade Empire where you're in the city but the whole game, the Citadel in ME1 or the parts of Dark Souls where you're exploring the abandoned town. I expect RPGs are the main genre you'd be doing this sorta thing in. I don't have a good PC (yet) so console recommendations would be good, heard there are good mods for the Bethesda Elder Scrolls games that add massive Lovecraftian cities to explore under the world. Those would be awesome. Just really unique worlds or settings in general would be nice for a change.

You want Morrowind, which is Elder Scrolls #3. Get it on Steam, check out the modding thread and enjoy. The most unique setting you'll find, several small villages (like 5-10 houses), several medium sized cities (10-30 houses), and one large one (6 large apartment buildings, each with sewers, basement, middle level, and upper level, and one large temple complex). Its two expansions that come in the GOTY version add even more cities. One adds an entire new large city with 4 different districts and a ton of shops and homes. The other adds a small island with 3 different small settlements on it.

Other alternatives:

• Baldur's Gate 2 is the old school RPG. It has one massive city with 8 large areas, each with shops, taverns, and side quests.
  • Planescape Torment is made in the same style and engine as BG2, but focused on one large weird city at the intersection of several dimensions.
  • Arcanum is another old school RPG with several well-designed cities and a unique steampunk setting that's a clash of magic versus technology.
  • Pathologic is a Russian-made survival horror about a plague in an isolated town. Every building in town is enterable, and the town is the entire setting. Gameplay is clunky and the translation is poo poo, but it's one of the best survival horror games out there and definitely a unique setting.
  • The Bioshock games all take place in one city that has a unique setting.
  • The Assassin's Creed games all take place in unique and detailed cities.
  • Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is an FPS/RPG about vampires set in modern-day LA. Deus-Ex playstyle, central city hub.
  • Fallout New Vegas? You've probably played it already, but it has a great post-apocalyptic setting and the relatively large city of Las Vegas, although it doesn't feel as big as it should.
  • The Stalker games for a big unusual world, not so much the city part. FPSs set in hosed up alternate Chernobyl. Get Stalker: Call of Pripyat, which can run fine out of the box without mods. If you like that, look into Shadow of Chernobyl.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

thebardyspoon posted:

The STALKER series is pretty big on the whole exploration thing.
The third game in the series, Call of Pripyat, in particular has a big focus on exploration and atmosphere, and is arguably the easiest to get into.
Definitely worth looking into unless possibly you absolutely cannot stand first person shooters or something like that.

E: Beaten!
And yeah it should be noted, the series isn't known for huge populated cities or anything, you're basically on your own exploring a huge zone around the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, with all kinds of abandoned soviet architecture, but it certainly qualifies for the "unique" and "exploration" criteria.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 27, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

V!ntar posted:

If you're ok with some cartoon violence, then the Mario & Luigi series! If you've played Super Mario RPG (and if you haven't, play it!) they are very similar with the main difference being a heavily increased focus on the action aspects. The first is one is Superstar Saga on the GBA and is a great place to enter the series. Difficulty can actually be fairly tough if you don't try to grind out high levels before boss fights, and they are fairly meaty games for being kind of older and portable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

V!ntar posted:

It might be a bit more complex than what you're looking for, but Kerbal Space Program fits that description pretty well. It's essentially a rocket simulator, but accessible enough that even to someone like me that knows next to nothing about orbital mechanics was able to jump right in after the in-game tutorials. The Kerbals themselves are adorable too.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

V!ntar posted:

The Harvest Moon series for the 3ds or the Wii.

Journey for the PS3.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks for those suggestions, played most of them already but Pathologic and Omikron are new things to add to my list. Stalker is definitely there as well but I do need a new PC for that, was supposed to be getting one this month but stuff got in the way.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Mokinokaro posted:

Or how about Brutal Legend? It's an Adventure/RTS hybrid in a world inspired by heavy metal album art. You can probably find a console copy dirt cheap.

It's actually on Steam now as well if you want it on PC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Baggins posted:

It's actually on Steam now as well if you want it on PC.

I know, but he said his PC wasn't very good. Console version might be even cheaper as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

thebardyspoon posted:

Planescape: Torment has one of the best put together and strangest fantasy settings out there, plus it's mostly in one big city. Right up your alley. It came out 14 years ago so being PC only shouldn't deter you. The Gog version will work on whatever PC you want right out of the box.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hankering for a customizable 3d action game in the vein of something like armored core, saints row 4, lugaru etc. I want to traverse big open environments at high speeds with exciting movement options and chose from different abilities/weapons/gear or whatever. An mmo would probably be OK as long as the combat is actually action based (not wow style).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

field balm posted:

Hankering for a customizable 3d action game in the vein of something like armored core, saints row 4, lugaru etc. I want to traverse big open environments at high speeds with exciting movement options and chose from different abilities/weapons/gear or whatever. An mmo would probably be OK as long as the combat is actually action based (not wow style).

Have you played Prototype 1 or 2? They'd be right up your alley.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Play Warship Gunner 2. It's like Armored Core for battleships. You start with World War I era steamers and build up to fusion powered superdreadnaughts with with lasers, tac nukes and wave motion cannons.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you played Prototype 1 or 2? They'd be right up your alley.

I have played the first one, I don't know why I didn't list it - this is the kinda stuff I'm looking for. Did number 2 add much? I guess that's worth a shot.

Warship Gunner 2 looks exactly like something I'd like to play as well but I don't have a PS2. :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Both the PS2 and PSP versions emulate beautifully. The PSP port is the superior version if you aren't afraid of moonspeak.

e:

Ineffiable posted:

RE: Warship Gunner 2: It's out now on the PS3's PSN for ten bucks if you want to play this game.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 27, 2013

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Can someone recommend me a PC game like Harvest Moon or a Kairosoft game? I like upgrading and setting up a little business or farm or whatever, but all I can find on PC is Farmville/browser energy crap and full-blown RTS trading sims that make your eyes bleed.

Recettear is a perfect example, but I've already tapped it out.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Game Dev Tycoon is apparently pretty similar to Kairosoft's Game Dev Story, you might want to check that out. It's not out yet, but for something like Harvest Moon, you should keep your eye on Stardew Valley.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Inadequately posted:

Game Dev Tycoon is apparently pretty similar to Kairosoft's Game Dev Story, you might want to check that out. It's not out yet, but for something like Harvest Moon, you should keep your eye on Stardew Valley.

Game Dev Tycoon has an arcane scoring/review system for your games that would only rate your games based on how your past ones did. So to get a good review you have to do some complex planning to game the system. It's bullshit; don't get it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cantorsdust posted:

Game Dev Tycoon has an arcane scoring/review system for your games that would only rate your games based on how your past ones did. So to get a good review you have to do some complex planning to game the system. It's bullshit; don't get it.

That actually sounds like a pretty accurate representation of video game review scoring, though :haw:

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seconding this. You can do some pretty hosed up stuff by going Dark Side. Especially some of the stuff at the end of KOTOR 1, that poo poo was crazy. For some reason KOTOR 1 was the only game of this kind to convince me to go Dark Side. I'm not sure why but I can't bring myself to be evil in games anymore, I'm always a goody-two-shoes.

Speaking of Kotor, does anyone know of another space/scifi RPG that lets you run around with robot buddies? I basically want a sandbox/rpg that lets me hang out with these guys

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

lunatikfringe posted:

Speaking of Kotor, does anyone know of another space/scifi RPG that lets you run around with robot buddies? I basically want a sandbox/rpg that lets me hang out with these guys

The Fallout games pretty commonly feature robot/cyborg companion characters.

Anachronox is another good one if you want something more space-y. And I'm sure there's plenty more, but I tend to avoid companions in games that give you a choice in the matter, so I'm not the best person to remember these things.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
What's the best game that's like Heroes of Might and Magic? Last one I played was 3 and I loved it. Surely someone has improved on the formula since then?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in the mood for a survival shooter in an open world. I haven't really kept up with those types of sandbox games so I'm not sure what's good or if they're all complete garbage. Does State of Decay fit that, or maybe one of the STALKER games?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

thebardyspoon posted:

Xenoblade has fantastic worldbuilding and it's pretty huge and also unique. Unfortunately it is becoming difficult to find copies of, and even if you do find it you have to have a Wii to play it on (and ideally a classic controller because it was painful to play otherwise).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

field balm posted:

I have played the first one, I don't know why I didn't list it - this is the kinda stuff I'm looking for. Did number 2 add much? I guess that's worth a shot.
Prototype 2 really just felt like "Prototype 1 but a bit better", and I don't mean that in a negative way. No huge changes, just a lot of minor but welcome stuff like being able to instantly destroy helicopters and tanks instead of hijacking them. It's probably worth a try even if much of it amounts to more of the same just because the new protagonist is hilariously angry at just about everyone and everything. Caveat: if that's not your kind of thing at all you might not enjoy the game very much. :shobon:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm in the mood for a survival shooter in an open world. I haven't really kept up with those types of sandbox games so I'm not sure what's good or if they're all complete garbage. Does State of Decay fit that, or maybe one of the STALKER games?

STALKER is a better bet for what you want. State of Decay has guns, but is more melee focused (guns make noise that attracts zombies so they're powerful but risky.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

STALKER is a better bet for what you want. State of Decay has guns, but is more melee focused (guns make noise that attracts zombies so they're powerful but risky.)

Cool, any recommendations on which of the STALKER games to grab? There's like three out right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Robo Reagan posted:

Cool, any recommendations on which of the STALKER games to grab? There's like three out right?

Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat, yeah.

I'd go with the first or the last. There is also a very active mod scene which is definitely worth looking into, even for a first playthrough.

VVVVV Better advice

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Go with the first, then the last. Call of Pripyat isn't very friendly for new players since it drops you in the middle of a pretty open world that has several places near the start you can get whacked pretty hard going to and kind of assumes you already know the deal, while Shadow of Chernobyl has a more linearish opening that will set you up for success.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the responses, I'll grab them and give it a shot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Geektox posted:

What's the best game that's like Heroes of Might and Magic? Last one I played was 3 and I loved it. Surely someone has improved on the formula since then?
Heroes of Might and Magic V. :v:
I'm not even kidding really, it's a very good game. The visual style is a lot more cartoony than previous parts, but not in a bad way imo. I think it's a great balance between elements familiar from III, and new stuff.

Also, I've heard the newer King's Bounty games are pretty good, though I haven't played them myself.

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012

Geektox posted:

The Eador games are quite good, imo... Genesis is on GoG... and Masters of the Broken World is on Steam.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Robo Reagan posted:

Thanks for the responses, I'll grab them and give it a shot.
You'll probably want to grab Complete at least for Shadow of Chernobyl. Fixes alot of quest bugs, makes it look better, and fixes other issues along with adding in much-needed features like repairing. The Call of Pripyat version doesn't add as much other than the Atmosfear graphical addons making the blowouts look amazing. Clear Sky never happened - don't bother with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
What are the go-to RTS games these days? I guess that Starcraft 2 is still popular (I actually never got around to playing it myself, so it's already on my list). I really enjoyed Rise Of Nations because it had a pretty good system for resources and I liked that you controlled territory, not just buildings. I also liked Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40k for their combat systems and emphasis on tactics and use of the environment. I'll be playing these on a laptop that has an i5 but also integrated graphics - I don't mind lowering the settings, but I do want it to run at a decent framerate.