Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So I'm about to build a new PC to run Skyrim fully modded at max settings. I have one question, is it worth it to get a video card with 4gb of VRAM or is 2gb enough? I do plan on using pretty much every single high res 2048k texture pack I can find. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

QuantumButler posted:

I've been wondering, is there a Skyrim equivalent of the "FengShui" mods from Fallout 3 and New Vegas? They allowed you to accurately place items for spergy decoration purposes and lock them into place, that'd be real helpful in Skyrim, it'd be nice to keep things from flying fifty feet away when Lydia inevitably decides to walk past your carefully arranged mound of cheese.

SkyTweak has spergy item placing controls. Once its in place change its animation to keyframed and it will stay until you pick it up. Build a fort of cheese and fear nothing!

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

LtSmash posted:

SkyTweak has spergy item placing controls. Once its in place change its animation to keyframed and it will stay until you pick it up. Build a fort of cheese and fear nothing!

Awesome, thanks! I'll try SkyTweak.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

So I'm about to build a new PC to run Skyrim fully modded at max settings. I have one question, is it worth it to get a video card with 4gb of VRAM or is 2gb enough? I do plan on using pretty much every single high res 2048k texture pack I can find. Thanks!

I have a 2gb 670 and Skyrim doesn't struggle at all with huge textures at 2560x1440.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Inverness posted:

Anyone have some opinions on the Resplendent Racials package? Does it seem well balanced? I know I found one overpowered combination while using the Aurora Doomstone package with it. Being Argonian and having the Atronach sign gives you virtually infinite magicka due to the Histborn magicka regeneration combined with the low cost of spells from the Atronach sign.

I'm using it and really like it. I use it and the Doomstone mod together without any major issues with balance. I'm sure there are some abusive possibilities if used together, but that's no different really from the base game. I really like the variety of enemy racials for combat, like basically being unable to kite nords/khajiit and the crazy-but-fun bosmer NPC racial that makes them invisible in combat at full life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Looking for a nice, long dungeon mod that I can preferably start playing at low levels so I can recreate some Ultima Underworld goodness.

Conan Hyborian Age is a good dungeon mod. There are Trolls though, so define low level.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Arcsquad12 posted:

Conan Hyborian Age is a good dungeon mod. There are Trolls though, so define low level.

I'll give it a shot. It recommends being level 10, that's not so bad. Anybody got any others?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bah, Requiem is too loving tedious to be worth the hassle. Just gonna go back to SPERG and deadly combat.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

poptart_fairy posted:

Bah, Requiem is too loving tedious to be worth the hassle. Just gonna go back to SPERG and deadly combat.

I like Speag, and Duel Combat Realisim.

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Can someone give me a rundown on modding textures? I want to use the ones listed in the OP, but I'm confused about which I should install first. For example, do I install Book of Silence first, or the HD 2k texture packs? And then all the water/fire/flora mods?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Factum est posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on modding textures? I want to use the ones listed in the OP, but I'm confused about which I should install first. For example, do I install Book of Silence first, or the HD 2k texture packs? And then all the water/fire/flora mods?
Skyrim HD 2k should be first, then install separate textures to overwrite those.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Probably asked and answered before, but is there a way to turn off this garish armor glow-warp effect that Requiem added to the game? I can't even get to the chopping block in Helgen without wanting to uninstall this poo poo.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have a solution to fix the lip sync issues introduced with 1.9? I don't think Been hesda will ever release a patch again.

I know it is an engine bug, but I want to just make sure.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dead Man Posting posted:

Anyone have a solution to fix the lip sync issues introduced with 1.9? I don't think Been hesda will ever release a patch again.
Nope. No one has come up with a sollution. There has been some progress though, this mod apparently restores some of the console commands related to facial animations that patch 1.9 broke.

And yeah, I would not expect another patch for Skyrim from Bethesda. The best we can hope from them is that they will have fixed the issue for FO4's engine.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Just got the Legendary Pack of Steam and don't really want to deal with overhaul mods or managers.
Did I do this right?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

sauer kraut posted:

Did I do this right?

Looks good to me!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

File Access Interface for Skyrim Scripts (FISS)

An easy to use interface for modders to save&reload in-game variables to/from file. Great for transferring MCM settings across different game saves.

This looks promising, if only to allow people to transfer MCM settings from save-file to save-file.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Just got the Legendary Pack of Steam and don't really want to deal with overhaul mods or managers.
Did I do this right?

What about the high res texture DLC?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone know of a crappy looking player home for new players? Something like a lovely one bedroom apartment/hovel type deal.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Anyone know of a crappy looking player home for new players? Something like a lovely one bedroom apartment/hovel type deal.

Expanded Towns and Settlements adds a lovely one room player house in Riverwood.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Anyone know of a mod that lets you transfer enchantments from one item to another? The Epic Shout Package mod adds some rad greybeard robes that I want to use but not enough to forgo my current stock mage robes.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Inverness posted:

Anyone know of a mod that lets you transfer enchantments from one item to another? The Epic Shout Package mod adds some rad greybeard robes that I want to use but not enough to forgo my current stock mage robes.

I've looked for a mod like that for a while, with no luck. It's one of the few things that I'm not sure if the engine even allows, since I've not seen it done. I think I even went so far as to enchant an item on a different character and try to copy the item ID to import into another game and it didn't seem to work.

Also, silent unarmed mod... never found one, don't know why it doesn't seem to exist.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

graynull posted:

I've looked for a mod like that for a while, with no luck. It's one of the few things that I'm not sure if the engine even allows, since I've not seen it done. I think I even went so far as to enchant an item on a different character and try to copy the item ID to import into another game and it didn't seem to work.

Also, silent unarmed mod... never found one, don't know why it doesn't seem to exist.
SKSE should have made that possible. I believe I remember reading about one for Oblivion that let you put an item in one container and transfer the enchantment on it to the item in the other container.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is ProjectENB designed to run on high end PCs? I have 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX 560 TI, but trying to to run ProjectENB killed my framerate to 15-20 FPS, 25 if stationary and there's no active motion onscreen.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Inverness posted:

SKSE should have made that possible. I believe I remember reading about one for Oblivion that let you put an item in one container and transfer the enchantment on it to the item in the other container.

Player made enchants are not currently possible, but are slated for the next SKSE release. If its a pre-enchanted item that's doable, but only for base items at the moment. You could give every greybeard robe the mage robe enchant but not restrict it to only the copy of the robe you currently have. I think the next SKSE will change that too but I'm less certain.

If you are happy with changing the base item's enchantment I could whip that up in like 15 minutes tomorrow. Alternately its easy to make a new mod with a duplicate armor with the new enchant using the ck/tesEdit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone recommend a mod for the Thieves Guild questline that allows me to complete it without agreeing to eternal servitude?

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Anybody know how to change the darkness level during night when using CoT? I can't seem to find any settings for the mod after installing it but dumbly leaving night values at vanilla.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Factum est posted:

Anybody know how to change the darkness level during night when using CoT? I can't seem to find any settings for the mod after installing it but dumbly leaving night values at vanilla.
The download should have included optional plugins for night brightness.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Raygereio posted:

The download should have included optional plugins for night brightness.

There are 9 options during install, going from Vanilla to near cave darkness (technically realistic in a society without widespread electrical light usage), in the same menu as choosing interior light level settings.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The Lone Badger posted:

Can anyone recommend a mod for the Thieves Guild questline that allows me to complete it without agreeing to eternal servitude?

The eternal servitude happens after you're dead. if you play Skyrim enough you end up pledged to a half dozen of so demigods upon shuffling of Skyrim's mortal coil. Seeing as how the game never lets you have an afterlife and if it did you'd probably be able to kill whatever tried making a slave out of you it's probably never going to be an issue.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

LtSmash posted:

Player made enchants are not currently possible, but are slated for the next SKSE release. If its a pre-enchanted item that's doable, but only for base items at the moment. You could give every greybeard robe the mage robe enchant but not restrict it to only the copy of the robe you currently have. I think the next SKSE will change that too but I'm less certain.

If you are happy with changing the base item's enchantment I could whip that up in like 15 minutes tomorrow. Alternately its easy to make a new mod with a duplicate armor with the new enchant using the ck/tesEdit.
It isn't a problem for player-made enchantments since you could just make the enchantment yourself again on the new item. Also, changing the base isn't cool either, so I'm not interested in that.

I'd prefer a way to only deal with the enchantment on particular instances of an item. Though I believe Oblivion solved this problem by creating a clone of the item base for your save and then messing with the enchantment on that so it wouldn't affect other things. Is this working with SKSE?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Inverness posted:

It isn't a problem for player-made enchantments since you could just make the enchantment yourself again on the new item. Also, changing the base isn't cool either, so I'm not interested in that.

I'd prefer a way to only deal with the enchantment on particular instances of an item. Though I believe Oblivion solved this problem by creating a clone of the item base for your save and then messing with the enchantment on that so it wouldn't affect other things. Is this working with SKSE?

No. For some reason Beth deleted basically all the code that let that actually work from Skyrim. The TempClone function was readded by SKSE but for practically everything it either returns garbage or crashes the game. They are working on making it work for armor for the next version though. But despite baking tons of things into saves skyrim also deleted the old serialization code so forms can't be added to saves. So tempClones (and all changes to existing forms) vanish after the current play session. This can be worked around with maintenance scripts that recreate them so long as you can keep track of where they are. Papyrus doesn't support dynamically allocated memory so you are limited to a specific number of items that can be tracked based on whatever the mod author decides to support.

It might be a moot point anyway since SKSE will be adding some new ObjectReference functions which might allow for directly changing a specific copy of an item.

Creating a custom patch is easy though and doesn't involve waiting for skse to update.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Torka posted:

Expanded Towns and Settlements adds a lovely one room player house in Riverwood.

Cool, thanks!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To you guys using crazy-ridiculous textures and graphics mods - how do you deal with the RAM hard cap? I've been using a bunch of new textures and I find my fps suddenly slowing into <1 until the game freezes completely. Sometimes its random but in other places, like the bridge outside Windhelm, it's repeatable 9 times out of 10.

It's mostly just a guess that it's RAM as it always seems capped out when I tab out to kill the process. But to be honest I don't really know what I'm talking about either :shrug:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strategic Tea posted:

To you guys using crazy-ridiculous textures and graphics mods - how do you deal with the RAM hard cap? I've been using a bunch of new textures and I find my fps suddenly slowing into <1 until the game freezes completely. Sometimes its random but in other places, like the bridge outside Windhelm, it's repeatable 9 times out of 10.

It's mostly just a guess that it's RAM as it always seems capped out when I tab out to kill the process. But to be honest I don't really know what I'm talking about either :shrug:

I'm not running any sort of HD/Graphic mods (short of the stock one provided by Bethesda) and I get crazy lag outside of whiterun and on the bridge to Windhelm. I would love to know what the cause of it was.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you're using High-Res textures, then the problem might be that they're poorly optimized. Have no idea about the stock Bethesda HD textures though. Do you have the Unofficial HiRes Patch installed?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Scyantific posted:

If you're using High-Res textures, then the problem might be that they're poorly optimized. Have no idea about the stock Bethesda HD textures though. Do you have the Unofficial HiRes Patch installed?

Yep. I've already tried disabling most of my landscape textures. It seems to have helped, but I just ran into what looks like another repeatable crash. I'll keep removing stuff and see if I find anything.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scyantific posted:

I do not. I'll have to give that a try.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Does using a shield count as having armour on? I ask because I want to revisit my unarmed and shield Khajit Captain America concept and SPERG's unarmoured bonus perks in Alteration and Pickpocket would make it work well. Sadly it means I can't don massive metal gauntlets for extra damage because that would deactivate those bonuses, which is a shame because it would look hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

The Atronach stone using that Aurora Doomstone package seems really overpowered. I have yet to run out of magicka in a fight. In between fights I can just use the lesser power to refill my magicka at the expense of health and then just use the basic healing spell which leaves me with full health and 95-97% magicka.

When I used the ritual stone I found that the passive ability wasn't much use because the raised minions didn't stay around long enough to be useful in the next fight. I'm not one to rush through dungeons and miss loot so it isn't a good fit. At this point I think I'll stick with Resplendent Racials and just not use this.

• Locked thread