Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Mustach posted:

Nah, whoever translated IV the first time just had a spoon obsession. It's always been a knife. (Sadly?)

I'm honestly sad to hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

Lightning probably would've liked her knife more if Hope actually used it to kill Snow like he was going to.

Not really. Even without needing to look it up in the datalogs, you could tell that Lightning was really not comfortable with Hope's plan to kill Snow as soon as he told her about it. She just doesn't actively attempt to talk him out of it until after her "Oh my god we're all pets" epiphany.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

W.T. Fits posted:

Not really. Even without needing to look it up in the datalogs, you could tell that Lightning was really not comfortable with Hope's plan to kill Snow as soon as he told her about it. She just doesn't actively attempt to talk him out of it until after her "Oh my god we're all pets" epiphany.

Snow and Serah are really lucky she didn't open the present while they were still there. Because then she would have definitely been on board with the plan.

"Hi Sis! I'm calling you sis since I'm marrying your sister! By the way she's a Pulse l'Cie now. We got you this knife! I bought you salad."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

pichupal posted:

Snow and Serah are really lucky she didn't open the present while they were still there. Because then she would have definitely been on board with the plan.

"Hi Sis! I'm calling you sis since I'm marrying your sister! By the way she's a Pulse l'Cie now. We got you this knife! I bought you salad."

You forgot the part where they explain how they're feeling.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dear God, please tell me she holds that exact pose for an uncomfortably long time.

Please?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So could any one spoil the plot of Lightning Returns for me? Or point me to a previous post with a run down? I need it to spoil some one in my fantasy football league...its a long stupid story.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
We love long and stupid stories, please, go ahead. I mean, look at what we're playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

So could any one spoil the plot of Lightning Returns for me? Or point me to a previous post with a run down? I need it to spoil some one in my fantasy football league...its a long stupid story.

I've only watched streams so I may be missing some information but I'll type up what I've seen.

Time Be hosed at the end of FFXIII-2 and the world is rapidly heading towards total destruction and time/space is currently hosed up to the degree nobody is born or dies anymore. The God of the World is planning to recreate the world but he needs someone to go out and collect the souls of the world. Any souls not collected will be erased from existence. He convinces Lightning to help by using Serah's soul as a bargaining chip, and weakens her emotions so that she's more likely to obey him without getting sidetracked.

Hope is assigned to assist her, magically reverted back to a younger age due to space-time fuckery and God being an rear end in a top hat. Lightning goes around encountering various people. Snow is a bitter guy trying to punish himself for Serah's death, Vanille is being used by a crazy cult, Noel is a grim avenger, other stupid things. Lightning helps all of them find peace.

Along the way she's bothered by a mysterious girl named Lumina who looks like Serah but also a bit like Lightning. She seems to be trying to screw up Lightning's plans.

Once she's almost done collecting souls, she returns to the Ark where Hope is stationed and discovers that Hope is effectively being used as the Avatar for the god. He's effectively killed by it but in a "he finds peace and his soul is collected" way. Everyone is 'freed' (read: finds peace and dies) and Lightning brings all their souls to the god.

WHOOPS. Turns out the motherfucker was evil. He never had Serah's soul at all and he was using Lightning to collect souls so he could 'purify' them by removing all emotions and memories and recreating the world without any of that pesky human free will. He was conditioning Lightning to be a replacement demigod by removing her emotions and dampening her free will. Lightning rejects and fights him. It is revealed that Lumina was the emotional human part of Lightning that was sealed away, combined with Serah's soul, and was trying to stop the stupid poo poo from happening. Lightning reconnects with her humanity. (Basically Lumina = Eclaire/Claire, everything else = Lightning. It's dumb.)

Lightning goes and punches God in the face, powered up by the souls of her friends. They take down God and free the souls of humanity. The old world dies and a new world is born in its place, and all the souls of the people (including Lightning) are reborn on the new world, no longer bound by an rear end in a top hat god.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 30, 2013

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Solice Kirsk posted:

No idea what you want to spoil, but here's all I know about the plot. Pretty sure this spoils everything, so....

So Bhunivelse (Light God and totally not evil) revives Lightning as the world enters the last 13 days. The gods have decided that welp, we can't beat Chaos or whatever so we'll just make a new world. Don't want to get new people so Light can deliver the souls to the new world. Lightning agrees so she can save Serah.

Bhunivelse recruits Hope and turns him in to his young form from XIII cause apparently the staff voted for young Hope? There's a weird reason provided later. So Lightning goes around collecting souls with Hope's help.

The four lands each have a story, Luxerion has Noel who is all BLAH BLAH YUEL BE SORRY, and has given up hope. Party City Snowville(not the actual name) has Snow, who is so depressed his underage girlfriend is dead he's being consumed by Chaos, and is obviously saved by Lightning. Noel and Snow reveal at the end of FFXIII-2, they all decided to find a way to stop chaos. Didn't work out.

The Dead Dunes has Fang, who isn't ridiculously depressed for a change, and is looking for Vanille, who is some magical priestess now. The Wildlands has a MAGICAL CHOCOBO which is actually ODIN. You can apparently name it. It also has Sazh, who is depressed since Dajh is gone and Mog, who is sad for failing to protect Serah. I think Caius is here as well as Yuel?

Throughout this whole thing, Lightning is being annoyed by Lumina, who looks exactly like Serah pretty much. She turns out to be a sealed away part of Lightning when she had to grow up when she lost her parents or something.

Anyways, close to the end of the 13 days, Vanille needs to preform a ritual to purge all sorts of dead souls, but then Lightning and Snow and everyone come help and Fang helps guide the souls to Bhunivelse. Surprise, he's twisted and evil and apparently kidnaps/kills/steals the souls of Lightning's friends.

Hope is the vessel for Bunny since he is a symbol of purity (??????) and he's more of a symbol when he's young, which explains (???) why Bunny made all the effort to change him to his younger self.

Dramatic battle time, Lightning uses that dagger from the first game to stab BunnyVase in order to awaken Hope since it's symbolic. It works, Hope gets to see Nora and Bart for like a second, but comes back since Lightning is being all self-sacrificial. Then literally EVERYONE shows up to finish up Bunny including the Eidolons from the first game, there are dramatic space explosions. Serah is back and everything is happy.

The souls of the world form a giant crystal, and then everyone says goodbye as Lightning makes a NEW WORLD, which is Earth. Mog and the Eidolons aren't allowed. Epilogue is CLAIRE/ECLAIR waking up and getting off a train in France.

Short version
World is screwed. Lighting kills a bad god, makes a new world which is our world, lives in France now.

Could have mistakes, but honestly, how much do you care?

Fake edit:
Completely forgot about Caius, who stays behind because only he can hold back the Chaos or something, along with like 50 Yeuls. So he's dead. The "Last" Yeul, or the one Noel has the hots for, gets to go to the new world. No idea where Raines comes in. I think somewhere in the Vanille plot.

Remember Bhakti? Even he gets a sidequest. Apparently sort of emotional for some reason.

Actual edit:^ I should have posted sooner - hope you're not typing up too much. Sorry... Actually gonna rewrite some of this to make it a bit clearer.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 30, 2013

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I can't read that but February is so far away.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That sounds like goofy world adventures, but not nearly as dumb as what I was hoping for.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

pichupal posted:

Pure poetry.

I can't wait to experience this magic in person. What's wrong with me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Now lemme get this straight:
Lightning/Sarah's human/emotional part is missing because of god magic. It is manifested in the form of a gothic 12-year-old girl.

Goddamn Toriyama.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Now lemme get this straight:
Lightning/Sarah's human/emotional part is missing because of god magic. It is manifested in the form of a gothic 12-year-old girl.

Goddamn Toriyama.

It's basically "Toriyama really really wanted to make Valkyrie Profile: The Game."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Children are pretty common as representatives of a person's emotional or good side. I'm reminded of Lil' Walter in Silent Hill 4.

But yeah, that doesn't sound as funny dumb as I had hoped. Still seems like a complete slap in the face to XIII's story but oh well. I would have thought Lindzei be the better final bad guy. XIII really cast him as the supreme dick.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'll show this rear end in a top hat how a petulant man child reacts to being knocked out of the make believe playoffs! Says there's nothing I could ruin for him, but then says he's really looking forward to LR....thats a lot of bad decisions right there. I'll show him, I'll show them all.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically "Toriyama really really wanted to make Valkyrie Profile: The Game."

All this makes me want is a post Ragnarok cyberpunk Midgard Valkyrie Profile title. Not final fantasy hammered awkwardly into one by a guy with issues.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The port of VII on Steam is on sale for another hour, so is it worth picking up for $4? Or is it just as bad as the original PC release?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

The port of VII on Steam is on sale for another hour, so is it worth picking up for $4? Or is it just as bad as the original PC release?

I never played the original pc release. I played the Steam version a few months ago, and it was good enough. The polygon models are high res, but the backgrounds still look like poo poo. It played great all the way through using a Playstation controller as a game pad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

The sale's already over but let's state for the record that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's probably the best version of the game because of high resolutions and the cheevos. It had super lovely music but they patched the good stuff in a while back and now it's all good.

E: It does require a Square account, however, which might bother some people.

E2: And of course it's also moddable. Pretty easily, too, if you care about that: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14405.0 You will need to do some forum digging though, because all mod creators are lazy as gently caress:

quote:

For instructions on unpacking and repacking the lgp files, please see the FAQ/Tutorial section [on the forums]--or do a search, our search function is precious, if it's working use it!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 30, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

The sale's already over but let's state for the record that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's probably the best version of the game because of high resolutions and the cheevos. It had super lovely music but they patched the good stuff in a while back and now it's all good.
If you're gonna get it, you might as well get it on Steam. If you get it from Enix, the installer they give you has a two month time limit on downloading it. If you lose it or trash it after that, you're hosed.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Does this make 13-2 the best of the trilogy?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, I'll probably pick it up in a few weeks during the Christmas sale. Good to hear it's worth getting, and I already have an SE account from playing XIV, so that's not a big deal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Azubah posted:

No; it is the worst game in the series.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fister Roboto posted:

No; it is the worst game in the series.

Even worse than 13-1?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Note: Every Final Fantasy is the worst Final Fantasy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I will take the controversial view that XIII was actually okay-to-good up until after the Palamecia. The Ark, Pulse, that godawful Tower, the fact most of the characters stopped developing, that was when I was just bleh about the game. Then Eden Under Siege was surprisingly cool. Then Orphan's Cradle sealed my hatred for the game.

They try to say XIII is about Lightning but it's mostly an ensemble story and I liked that aspect of it. Because I hated Lightning, I could look to the other party members to find something to enjoy. Then, once their subplots were all done, you just had the main plot and boy was it not fun at all.

XIII-2 seems to be nearly all Plot and you have only two party members. In short, it kinda spits in the face of everything I found good about XIII.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

Not a chance considering it's worse in almost all ways than even FFXIII aside from linearity and being able to put funny hats on your Chocobo. When the thing FFXIII most had going for it is a good combat system, loving up the combat system hurts it a lot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

XIII-2 is a bad game, even by bad FF game standards.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Not a chance considering it's worse in almost all ways than even FFXIII aside from linearity and being able to put funny hats on your Chocobo. When the thing FFXIII most had going for it is a good combat system, loving up the combat system hurts it a lot.

I'd call it a toss-up. XIII's linearity led to much tighter balance, but the extent of that linearity and the sense of emptiness in the world was one of its absolute biggest failings at the same time.

Somewhere between the two and Lightning Returns, I think there's one good game in there. Pity we didn't get it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Gologle posted:

Note: Every Final Fantasy is the worst Final Fantasy.
Which means every Final Fantasy is the best Final Fantasy! Go ahead and buy them all

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I finished XIII-2 yesterday and I liked it a lot more than XIII and quite a few other FFs, but I think that may be because while I played I watched TV instead of paying any attention to the story (something that probably would've helped me with, say, FFX). I got the basics down, but after hearing paradox paradox paradox every conversation I quickly tuned out.

I didn't like it when XIII split the characters up, partly from having an undersized party a couple times and partly from not liking most of the characters. Noel may seem straight out of Kingdom Hearts, but without listening to him much I didn't find him offensively bad. Having a Proto-Behemoth and a Chocobo in my party made up for that though.

I guess I'd agree that the combat isn't quite as good as in XIII, and I was a bit upset when I realized I wasn't going to get Haste/Hastega, but between having cool monsters instead of Snow and the relatively lower emphasis on combat in XIII-2 I didn't really mind. XIII-2 feels almost more like an adventure game than a regular FF game, and I spent a lot of time just wandering around, looking for hidden fragments and stylish monsters to recruit. Exploring in this game was fun and rewarding for me in a way that Xenoblade was supposed to be (but for me, was not).

Caius' design was god awful but he is also Grimoire Weiss so I guess he breaks even.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think XIII-2 can be a good game but you need to artificially challenge yourself by avoiding most monsters

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'd call it a toss-up. XIII's linearity led to much tighter balance, but the extent of that linearity and the sense of emptiness in the world was one of its absolute biggest failings at the same time.

Somewhere between the two and Lightning Returns, I think there's one good game in there. Pity we didn't get it.

I can't imagine any situation where I'd want a unbalance but 'nonlinear' (read: basically linear) game over one that is balanced but linear. There are good nonlinear/less linear games but they're games where your decisions actually matter.

"Linear" being codeword for "bad" is one of those weird gamer things I'll never understand. Nonlinearity can be excellent and really benefit a game. New Vegas is a better game by allowing you to basically do whatever you want, however you want. Dishonored is a better game for having a linear structure but nonlinear levels with an increase emphasis on multiple ways to solve a problem. I just don't really think FF does that kind of nonlinearity well and FFXIII-2 is worse than most about it. If FFXIII-2 had been nonlinear in a good and engaging way then I'd say the combat tradeoff might be worth it. As it is they just dumped FFXIII's one strong point for a half-baked 'nonlinear' option.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 1, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The biggest problem with 13-2 is a problem that 13 had, which was how disjointed all the location design was. But 13 had a better gameplay system and a way higher budget which made the different areas look individually gorgeous. It was painfully obvious in 13-2 that all these different areas were just resource dumps from the leftovers of 13's development.

Also 13 had significantly less useless monologues.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think the complete failure of world-building in 13, where world-building is one of the few things that Final Fantasy still remembers how to do well, makes it the worst Final Fantasy game at "being a Final Fantasy game." 2 is probably still a worse game just because of how terribly designed it is, but 13 is like a Super Mario game with terrible level design and piss-poor platforming that, for some reason, has the devs focusing on putting puzzles into it.

Also it gets negative points for Toriyama blaming his audience for not liking his game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I thought XIII-2 did nonlinearity a lot better than XIII did linearity, but that's probably because XIII was a long line of monsters while XIII-2 had a little more variety.

As much as I don't like X, I think it was a better linear design than XIII. Maybe that's because it's been longer since I played it though.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning Returns Plotline

Yes, but can you kill this God with a chainsaw? This is very important to decide if I try this or just go back to my Gameboy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

13 is like a Super Mario game with terrible level design and piss-poor platforming that, for some reason, has the devs focusing on putting puzzles into it.

Luigi's Mansion ruled though.

SmockJoc posted:

Yes, but can you kill this God with a chainsaw? This is very important to decide if I try this or just go back to my Gameboy.

I think Chainsaw is actually a weapon you can get in the game but I may be wrong. There's some kind of goofy-rear end weapon like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XIII was a glorified hallway in stunning HD graphics.

X was linear but the areas never felt nearly as constricted. You had to go from one area to the next yes but not in more or lsss a big straight line with some occasional button presses to leap about for no real reason.