Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Now finally done with MvM tonight, I can get this ready:

A day to celebrate two american past times. Getting together and murdering each other for a fancy new television. Two gimmicks tonight just for Thanksgiving!

1) Mannsgiving: The time to get together and give thanks. To share a large feast. To remember who is better. The Indians (huntsman snipers w/ any melee) or the Pilgrims (shotgun soldiers /any melee). Either way we all join a good get together! Still don't have a huntsman? Don't be afraid to ask around since someone is bound to have a spare.

2) BLACK scottish cyclops FRIDAY: Customers from all over will be bringing out the big guns to get the latest cheap thing. Demoman of all types will be recruited to help little jimmies get that brand new video game console. First 30 customers will live to tell the tale.

It'll switch around between a round or two. And to make thing easier for new players, custom maps have finally been compressed to DL easier. Event starts at 9:15 cst. Server IP: 74.91.114.146:27015

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

xanthan posted:

Please tell me you renamed SOMETHING in that Thunderbolt.

It's heavy, so it should be the... the.. the thunderdolt.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

boo_radley posted:

It's heavy, so it should be the... the.. the thunderdolt.

Please, can't we just get beyond thunderdolt?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

It's essentially the jump+spin that makes it look like twitching, which is a tactic learned in Comp TF2 - if you're a heavy and you're in combat, you don't waddle 15 feet and then spin up, you jump+spin-up, then jump+spin-up, so you're always ready to fire. It definitely looks twitchy to an observer, but it isn't necessarily hacking. Usually the surest sign of a hacking heavy (other than the constant halloween noise-makers and taunting while shooting) is seen from a first-person spectator view and you'll see their "sight" moving in a circle which is a hacking program that essentially removes damage-spread meaning that their bullets are ALWAYS firing directly in the center of their crosshairs - this video shows it pretty well early on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3kw6TqrQ

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Just had a chemistry set drop! Professor Speks! Really cool. It only needed one of my strange machina and some unique weapons.

edit: I don't think that hack is detectable through that means anymore. The way I tell is when they shoot me and I die too fast.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Belasarius posted:

Just had a chemistry set drop! Professor Speks! Really cool. It only needed one of my strange machina and some unique weapons.

Only a strange Machina? :stare: Can you get those from somewhere else now or was that really worth fifty bucks to you?

e: Like I guess I haven't really paid attention to the TF2 economy in forever, but backpack.tf says a strange Machina is still worth 18 keys, while a strange Professor Speks is worth...one.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 30, 2013

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

LAY-ZX posted:

Only a strange Machina? :stare: Can you get those from somewhere else now or was that really worth fifty bucks to you?

e: Like I guess I haven't really paid attention to the TF2 economy in forever, but backpack.tf says a strange Machina is still worth 18 keys, while a strange Professor Speks is worth...one.

you got got!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

GameboyHero posted:

Now finally done with MvM tonight, I can get this ready:

A day to celebrate two american past times. Getting together and murdering each other for a fancy new television. Two gimmicks tonight just for Thanksgiving!

1) Mannsgiving: The time to get together and give thanks. To share a large feast. To remember who is better. The Indians (huntsman snipers w/ any melee) or the Pilgrims (shotgun soldiers /any melee). Either way we all join a good get together! Still don't have a huntsman? Don't be afraid to ask around since someone is bound to have a spare.

2) BLACK scottish cyclops FRIDAY: Customers from all over will be bringing out the big guns to get the latest cheap thing. Demoman of all types will be recruited to help little jimmies get that brand new video game console. First 30 customers will live to tell the tale.

It'll switch around between a round or two. And to make thing easier for new players, custom maps have finally been compressed to DL easier. Event starts at 9:15 cst. Server IP: 74.91.114.146:27015

I'm kinda lost in the time zones, did this already happen?
Because I thought it was going to be the saturday. Nope, just Steam readjusting events for timezones.

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 30, 2013

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

qnqnx posted:

I'm kinda lost in the time zones, did this already happen?
Because I thought it was going to be the saturday. Nope, just Steam readjusting events for timezones.
I'm not sure if you were in there under a different name but we just finished. Not a big turnout but it worked out pretty well in the long run.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

e: Robot times were had

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 30, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I've been letting my five-year old play TF2 for a half-hour a day. It is the cutest thing ever. When he manages to kill someone, he LOSES HIS loving MIND in a good way.

He told me today he likes to play the Medic. Because he likes being able to BOOTYCHARGE people.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

GameboyHero posted:

I'm not sure if you were in there under a different name but we just finished. Not a big turnout but it worked out pretty well in the long run.

That means I completely missed it, welp.
And the gimmick was a really interesting one to boot.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Are you guys running some sort of weekly custom games or something like that?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

GameboyHero posted:

First one I've actually been able to show up to and it was fun, if not very populous. Also turns out I'm not as terrible at using the Huntsman as I thought!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Thanks for hosting Funhavers, GameboyHero! In the last map, it was just me and ahotdog deathmatching for the trainsawlaser point. Trading arrows and bison shots was pretty fun.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

I've been letting my five-year old play TF2 for a half-hour a day. It is the cutest thing ever. When he manages to kill someone, he LOSES HIS loving MIND in a good way.

He told me today he likes to play the Medic. Because he likes being able to BOOTYCHARGE people.

You should make sure to tell the people he kills that they managed to get killed by a 5 year old. Also, you need to train your child to be a pubstomping machine so that by the time he's 6 he's getting dominations.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Oxford Comma posted:

Wanna play with that kid.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Oxford Comma posted:

And now we know what the next big Medigun custom name is going to be.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Does anyone know who runs the valve servers? I was jonesing all evening to play granary (nobody plays it any more :( ). Eventually I see a server. I join it play for about 5 minutes and then get kicked and banned.

I said nothing, I typed nothing in chat, I had about 5 kills and the teams were balanced. I now can't rejoin that server (permaban). Not that I care about that server, but I was just puzzled?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Oxford Comma posted:

Don't forget to teach him about hat trading. He'll be the littlest hatte baron in no time.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jippa posted:

Does anyone know who runs the valve servers? I was jonesing all evening to play granary (nobody plays it any more :( ). Eventually I see a server. I join it play for about 5 minutes and then get kicked and banned.

I said nothing, I typed nothing in chat, I had about 5 kills and the teams were balanced. I now can't rejoin that server (permaban). Not that I care about that server, but I was just puzzled?

Valve servers are hosted by Valve. The ban is a 30 minute ban, and not at all permanent. Some idiots just like to kick people. There's sadly nothing that can be done except to laugh and find another server. I got banned the other day from a Harvest map because I asked into the mic if anyone else got any neat achievements lately, since I had just gotten a particularly grueling achievement. The ban reason was for being AFK, yet I was pretty obviously not idling. Some people just like to ban people for completely innocent things. Nothing you can do.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jippa posted:

Send in a ticket, I suppose. Even if you don't get in answer, I'm sure Valve will want to hear about this.

Otacon posted:

Valve servers are hosted by Valve. The ban is a 30 minute ban, and not at all permanent. Some idiots just like to kick people. There's sadly nothing that can be done except to laugh and find another server. I got banned the other day from a Harvest map because I asked into the mic if anyone else got any neat achievements lately, since I had just gotten a particularly grueling achievement.

It doesn't sound like it was a voteban, though. If it was then Jippa would probably not have had any trouble wondering how or why it happened.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you know anything about Autoscramble Plugins. The server I usually play on has a big problem with stacking, all the usuals join one team at the start and totally stomp the other team. For a while there Autoscramble would fix this the next round, but over the past few weeks it doesn't seem to be working. The Admin swears it works, so maybe it's all in my head, but where one team will totally dominate the other and have three times the points, it still doesn't kick in.

Has something changed and have you noticed this on other servers? I want to find out if it's just this one server that has the problem or if something in the update screwed up the way Autoscramble works.
If you want to check out the server it's The Lion's Den and it's at 96.44.130.2:27015
Also, if any of you know anything about good Autoscramble plugins or solutions to crazy stacking, can you let me know?

edit: They have mp_scrambleteams_auto set to "0". I assume it's because they have their own Plug-in that handles this, but would this affect the Scramble not working?

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 30, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Oxford Comma posted:

Awww. :allears:

When little kids play TF2, it's usually something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05M5QtKcBxI

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Man, why does the Dakov's loving Bar get a reskin? Like, my options for the stickylauncher are ''sticky launcher, sticky launcher with dumb poo poo glued to it'' but oh poo poo, can't leave the Dakov's Bar fans wanting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ariong posted:

It doesn't sound like it was a voteban, though. If it was then Jippa would probably not have had any trouble wondering how or why it happened.
For me, some times the voting window doesn't show up when a vote is called, both for votes against me and others. You just hear the sounds.

And some people on valve servers just get mad because you had the audacity to kill them once and votekicks you. Other people just want the stupid window gone and mash f1 reflexively.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CoolCab posted:

Man, why does the Dakov's loving Bar get a reskin? Like, my options for the stickylauncher are ''sticky launcher, sticky launcher with dumb poo poo glued to it'' but oh poo poo, can't leave the Dakov's Bar fans wanting.

"Dalokohs" is "Shokolad" spelled backwards. Shokolad is the Russian word for chocolate. It even sounds a bit like the word chocolate.
Georgi Dakov was a Bulgarian high jumper who competed in the 1992 Olympic games in Barcelona. He placed 14th in his event.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

CoolCab posted:

Wasn't the Dakolah bar's(no I can't remember how it's spelled either) fishcake reskin a part of that Japanese pack that may or may not have involved a charity at some point? Also, I thought the weirder part of the reskin was how the item was basically completely useless forever. Or did they ever get around to fixing that?

I also take issue with saying the festive stickylauncher looks dumb, because it's great and has been part of my loadout forever. (Black and white colors of course.)

Edit: ^^^ Okay so THAT's how you spell it.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

The fishcake was a promo item for Spacechem. You could get some ingredients from beating some TF2-themed Spacechem puzzles and craft them into a badge and the fishcake.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
How is the dalokohs bar useless? it can heal you over 300, and it has no cool down.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The biggest gripe against the Dalokahs bar (other than it not being the sandvich) is that despite the +50HP, the maximum overheal from a Medic is still capped at 450.

If Valve wanted people to actually use the Dalokahs bar, they should make it last longer but have it work like the Caber - ie, once you eat it you're at 350hp for 60 seconds but you cannot eat another one until visiting the supply locker. That'd be a decent change.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 30, 2013

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Any sort of reskins you'd like to see though. I'd like to see the heavy get a teeny tiny espresso reskin for the buffalo steak, caffeine induced speed and crits!

also the pyro should get flaregunless flares, he can already do the 'hadooken' taunt, why not have him just throw fireballs the rest of the time too!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

CoolCab posted:

They don't make reskins of weapons because they wanna add variety to a specific weapon, they make them because there's a skin they want in the game but they don't want new stats for it. Fishcake is a running joke in Spacechem, and pretty much the only (non-cosmetic) item I can imagine them adding as a promo for how abstract that game is. They could have made be a copy of the sticky launcher instead of the chocolate, but I don't think it'd make much sense.

They might get around to buffing the chocolate/fishcake one of these days, since that seems to be the pattern. That'd be neat.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 30, 2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

QwertySanchez posted:

Any sort of reskins you'd like to see though. I'd like to see the heavy get a teeny tiny espresso reskin for the buffalo steak, caffeine induced speed and crits!

also the pyro should get flaregunless flares, he can already do the 'hadooken' taunt, why not have him just throw fireballs the rest of the time too!

You want to throw fireballs at people, do I have the halloween-themed map for you!

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Otacon posted:

The biggest gripe against the Dalokahs bar (other than it not being the sandvich) is that despite the +50HP, the maximum overheal from a Medic is still capped at 450.

If the Heavy's max overheal was higher for any reason at all I think I'd kill myself. 450 is already stupid high for no reason.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The Dalokahs Bar should temporarily increase Heavy's melee speed by 50%.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Can I just delete the steamapps/<steam_name>/team fortress 2 folder? I'm guessing the game just uses everything in the common folder since the VPK switch.

Also the game is 6 years old now and the sniper still hasn't gotten the obvious boomerang weapon.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dr. Dos posted:

Can I just delete the steamapps/<steam_name>/team fortress 2 folder? I'm guessing the game just uses everything in the common folder since the VPK switch.

Also the game is 6 years old now and the sniper still hasn't gotten the obvious boomerang weapon.

Yep! I backed mine up anyway but just delete it - everything for EVERYTHING is now in /common/

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

miscellaneous14 posted:

The Dalokahs Bar should temporarily increase Heavy's melee speed by 50%.

That stacks with the Eviction Notice so you can go Fist of North Star on everyone. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Valve Please Give The Heavy A Non-Minigun Primary For Smissmas I Swear To God No One Gives A gently caress About The Heater

Love, the TF2 population.

• Locked thread