Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

maxnmona posted:

Second shows likely in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco. More news on that on Monday. Vegas, San Diego, and the first two LA nights still have tickets: http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/westcoastjan13/

A weekend show in Seattle would be a holiday miracle. After living less than a mile from the Neptune for years, I'm moving several hours east tomorrow. That's close enough for a weekend commute, but not a work-night escapade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

DNA Cowboys posted:

A weekend show in Seattle would be a holiday miracle. After living less than a mile from the Neptune for years, I'm moving several hours east tomorrow. That's close enough for a weekend commute, but not a work-night escapade.

Any second shows will be late shows on the same nights as the early shows.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Listeners, a semitransparent cabin has appeared out in the Sand Wastes...(actually an art installation called "Lucid Stead" by Phillip K Smith III) link

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
New episode tonight! :toot:

I know they're usually released around midnight, but is that EST?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

They've actually never been released at midnight, people always just assume they are and then get mad when we release them later as we always do.

(There's no specific time, but usually around 2-5am EST).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

maxnmona posted:

They've actually never been released at midnight, people always just assume they are and then get mad when we release them later as we always do.

(There's no specific time, but usually around 2-5am EST).

Good to know! I guess I can actually go to bed at a reasonable time instead of staying up late!

I might still stay up

I just want to know what happened to Tamika

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So I recently noticed the Night Vale twitter thing, and I have to ask who on earth writes those? A lot of these are as hilarious as they are thought-provoking.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Krysmphoenix posted:

So I recently noticed the Night Vale twitter thing, and I have to ask who on earth writes those? A lot of these are as hilarious as they are thought-provoking.

The same people who write the show.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Is the Mayoral Debate live episode going to air soon? Because story-line-wise it seems like it should, with the mention of Strexcorp it made.

EDIT Tumblr loved the Earl shout-out BTW. Some people are big on drawing him.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 1, 2013

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Holy poo poo, this episode you guys. Holy poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AstroZamboni posted:

Holy poo poo, this episode you guys. Holy poo poo.

Seriously I can't get over how great this episode was. Somehow you guys keep getting better.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I seem to be having an issue where I actually can't handle everything that just happened this episode. I am currently kicking my feet and squealing like a twelve year old girl. Please advise.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Holy crap, I am a little worried about what's going to happen to Cecil after what he did and said there at the end. And I'm really worried about (and cheering for) Tamika. :ohdear:

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Easily one of my favorite episodes to date. It's right up there with The Sandstorm and A Story About You for me.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Is the Mayoral Debate live episode going to air soon? Because story-line-wise it seems like it should, with the mention of Strexcorp it made.

EDIT Tumblr loved the Earl shout-out BTW. Some people are big on drawing him.

There's less a story delay, and more that we haven't had a chance to mix the recording yet. It should hopefully be out within the next month. God I hope so.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I've listened to the new episode 3 times so far. Definitely a new favorite. Well loving done.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The last few episodes have all been very good, but this one was something special. Definitely up there with the best of the series.

Cecil Baldwin's voice acting continues to be fantastic. The delivery of I HOPE THAT SHE WILL FIND YOU FIRST was amazing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I started getting serious chills during the Traffic. I was thinking "Holy poo poo, this is getting real, yo."

Cecil is one hell of an actor. Some actual serious drama is working its way into this show, and it seems perfectly natural at this point. The writing, acting and music all just get better and better with no sign of slowing down.

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009
How do you just keep getting better and better?

because for half an hour I forgot my sinuses are trying to claw their way out of my face and kill me, I was so absorbed in this episode. Holy poo poo guys, thank you.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

docbeard posted:

The last few episodes have all been very good, but this one was something special. Definitely up there with the best of the series.
Speaking of that, which episodes would you guys recommend to introduce somebody to it (say, before a live show)? Not just the best episodes (which might be more favorable towards fans), but a good collection that accurately reflects not just the tone, but the larger universe as well?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Didn't check the thread for a few days. Found out there's a Seattle live show, and that it's sold out. Immediately felt better because I'm going to be out of town anyway.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Great ep!

GO TAMIKA!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Also, I couldn't stop laughing at Wednesday on the community calendar. Cecil's delivery of that is loving hysterical.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

And also a very accurate description

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Doom Goon posted:

Speaking of that, which episodes would you guys recommend to introduce somebody to it (say, before a live show)? Not just the best episodes (which might be more favorable towards fans), but a good collection that accurately reflects not just the tone, but the larger universe as well?

Definitely Poetry Week, and maybe A Story About You. Right when you hear "all citizens are required to write poems" you start to get an idea of the show. Also the first episode does a good job too.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Great episode. I always enjoy the traffic sequences and this one was a real winner. I'm really getting pulled into the story, but I'm glad priority number one remains just keeping it weird.

Now the long and difficult wait for the 15th...

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I can't even deal with how much I loved this episode. Traffic was awesome, and the Community Calendar, and gently caress yeah Tamika Flynn, and another ending which *thoroughly* creeped me the gently caress out. Hell, the intro was amusing (Joseph's and Cecil's both).

This show is the best.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

QueerPope posted:

Definitely Poetry Week, and maybe A Story About You. Right when you hear "all citizens are required to write poems" you start to get an idea of the show. Also the first episode does a good job too.
I do think the first three or so are probably good to include (around then is when I got hooked) as they contain a lot of the world-building that returns. Poetry Week's a good idea!

Right now I'm thinking 1-3 or 4, 11 (Wheat & Wheat By-Products), but a lot of the later ones I feel would benefit more from being more familiar with it. Like, Sandstorm's great, but more worthwhile if you're heard Cecil for 18 other episodes. That said, I would like at least a couple later ones (Eternal Scouts? Whispering Forest maybe?).

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, Feral Dogs, perhaps, because it has the zaniness of Night Vale with a lot of the humor. And I would also second Eternal Scouts, just because the ending is so :swoon:.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I think Station Management (episode 3 I think) provides a nice insight into Nightvale Community Radio and the world it resides in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally of I were going with a single episode to grab people I'd go with one after the first dozen, just because it feels like Cecil's delivery subtly changed and became much more compelling.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

So, Night Vale made the AV Club's top podcasts of 2013 list. Not especially notable in and of itself, but I think it's interesting how fan-art-y the version of Cecil they use in their header is:

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Friend tweeted about wishing he could have Cecil on his Answering machine and there was a joke about needing to answer Limericks about Night Vale's news. I supplied:

The copters, they circle and vex
We're besieged, as if under a hex
Child armies are are leading
And never conceding
Tamika* will save us from ________

*(E37)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

So, Night Vale made the AV Club's top podcasts of 2013 list. Not especially notable in and of itself, but I think it's interesting how fan-art-y the version of Cecil they use in their header is:

Considering pretty much everything else on the list is a long-running podcast with celebrities cracking wise about their own careers, it's impressive they made room for Night Vale, but sad they didn't put it at Number 1.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

Considering pretty much everything else on the list is a long-running podcast with celebrities cracking wise about their own careers, it's impressive they made room for Night Vale, but sad they didn't put it at Number 1.

Long running? Sure, although there are quite a few new podcasts on the list; most notably the great Fogelnest files.

I won't deny that there are a few that meet the rest of that description on the list (though WTF, as the best of that genre, gets a pass from me), but plenty of other listed entries don't meet that description at all (Fogelnest, Code Switch, The Flophouse, Savage Love (though admittedly, I'm not a fan), and especially the Best Show.)

Seriously, if you want to see what a fully realized fictional radio world looks like after 13 years on the air, you should be listening to the insanity that Scharpling and Wurster have wrought. Newbridge is a special special place.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Republican Vampire posted:

Aww, he's got a little pet Glow Cloud! :3:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

Long running? Sure, although there are quite a few new podcasts on the list; most notably the great Fogelnest files.

I won't deny that there are a few that meet the rest of that description on the list (though WTF, as the best of that genre, gets a pass from me), but plenty of other listed entries don't meet that description at all (Fogelnest, Code Switch, The Flophouse, Savage Love (though admittedly, I'm not a fan), and especially the Best Show.)

Seriously, if you want to see what a fully realized fictional radio world looks like after 13 years on the air, you should be listening to the insanity that Scharpling and Wurster have wrought. Newbridge is a special special place.

I love the Flop House actually, and do think it hit a stride this year when it started doing kids' movies. I actually watched some of "Food fight!" on youtube but I just couldn't take it. But I still, to this day, do not understand what Comedy Bang! Bang! is.

MightySwine
Nov 19, 2013
Anyone else finds NVR to be the best audio for falling asleep, or is it just me?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MightySwine posted:

Anyone else finds NVR to be the best audio for falling asleep, or is it just me?

Cecil's voice is ridiculously soothing, I'll give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

MikeJF posted:

Cecil's voice is ridiculously soothing, I'll give you that.

I could quite happily listen to him reading the phonebook.