Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

That was just a weird episode all over.

How many other shows can pull this off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
It was Hideki. Hideki got shot.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
That was pretty much what you'd get if you flipped to a random movie on Sundance so I'd say they did what they set out to do.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It was Hideki. Hideki got shot.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha making fun of indie tropes isn't exactly new but that was pretty funny just the same. A good episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loved the holding on shots too long.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Best episode since the post apocalyptic Christmas.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I wouldn't say they NAILED it like they did with "Blood Cries a River," but holy poo poo they got close enough to count.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The best thing about this episode was that you could make a movie with the exact same plot all the way to Barry beating up a dirt figure in the woods and it would probably play at Sundance to decent reviews.

Probably even the cake slicer thing too as a "what's going on back home" thing.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I hope nobody praising the complete accuracy of this as an indie film missed out on the crazy filter they had going on from the point Steve called the episode's point early on.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I wish the episode would have just been a mock indie movie like they did with Blood Cries a River.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The payoff of the Lego Ron Howards at the funeral was amazing. I could absolutely see some hack indie movie doing something pretty much exactly like that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That episode was shear brilliance.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Uh, yea, whatever American Dad, just don't skip the loving Christmas episode this year.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
A step up from last week's atrocity but still not great. Feels like a different show almost, it's weird.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hmm, could've been a little bit more over the top as it almost felt more like an imitation instead of an actual parody to me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crotch Bat posted:

Uh, yea, whatever American Dad, just don't skip the loving Christmas episode this year.

Pretty sure we get the Krampus one this year.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I couldn't tell if the music was original or not but that music fit the theme to a t.

Pimparoo
Jul 29, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

Hmm, could've been a little bit more over the top as it almost felt more like an imitation instead of an actual parody to me.

I don't know why you feel parody has to be over the top. It just has to point out the overused tropes of genre. Sometimes parody even involves doing the same tropes better. I particularly enjoyed the vending machine scene which pointed our how controlling the sources of sound can be used to manipulate our emotions.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

Probably even the cake slicer thing too as a "what's going on back home" thing.
The cake slicer was weird because a few years ago there was an episode of one of those inventor competition shows where the guy had that exact same invention. Apparently he was a prison cook and he came up with the idea pretty much along the same lines as Stan & Co.

Then came the :stare: story where he admitted to spending like $40,000 "developing" the product and getting the patent rights and such. The judges rejected it because the market for a super cake slicer was too narrow, seeing as most people aren't serving institutional-size rectangle cakes.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Pimparoo posted:

I don't know why you feel parody has to be over the top. It just has to point out the overused tropes of genre. Sometimes parody even involves doing the same tropes better. I particularly enjoyed the vending machine scene which pointed our how controlling the sources of sound can be used to manipulate our emotions.

Because American Dad, as a show, is over the top. Not talking about the whole wide world of parody here.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tarquinn posted:

Because American Dad, as a show, is over the top. Not talking about the whole wide world of parody here.

I just loved the fact that no one, not even Barry, understood why Barry was driving.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Tarquinn posted:

Perfect avatar/post combination.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Tarquinn posted:

This season isn't BAD, I'm just not actually laughing very much. Last nights episode felt like it was always just about to get funny but never got off the ground.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 3, 2013

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
The pixie girl pulling out the bubble pipe killed me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm a little disappointed there was no payoff for her. Ravaged by wolves or something. She just... leaves.

Still, pitch-perfect parody of the Zach Braff/Dave Eggers-esque indie film thing. Even down to the 'we have to stop now so we can wander around the woods' bit.

I have to admit, I liked the music a lot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I'm a little disappointed there was no payoff for her. Ravaged by wolves or something. She just... leaves.

Still, pitch-perfect parody of the Zach Braff/Dave Eggers-esque indie film thing. Even down to the 'we have to stop now so we can wander around the woods' bit.

I have to admit, I liked the music a lot.

The lego Ron Howards was so perfect I feel like they were mimicking a specific indie movie. Isn't there some sad sack coming to terms movie where they tote around a cardboard cutout? I feel like I've heard of that idea before but can't recall anything specific.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

pentyne posted:

The lego Ron Howards was so perfect I feel like they were mimicking a specific indie movie. Isn't there some sad sack coming to terms movie where they tote around a cardboard cutout? I feel like I've heard of that idea before but can't recall anything specific.

You're thinking of Lars and the Real Girl, wherein Ryan Gosling is so emotionally broken he starts carrying a Real Doll around and introducing it as his girlfriend.

Really, though, it speaks more to the weird Indie habit of having SOME aspect of the movie be weird for its own sake. It feels familiar because they slam-dunked its execution.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

You're thinking of Lars and the Real Girl, wherein Ryan Gosling is so emotionally broken he starts carrying a Real Doll around and introducing it as his girlfriend.

Really, though, it speaks more to the weird Indie habit of having SOME aspect of the movie be weird for its own sake. It feels familiar because they slam-dunked its execution.

Yeah I don't think it was a specific reference to anything, just more of a generic dig at quirky indie movies always having this one weird thing that they can use to symbolize the movie. I don't think Lars and the Real Girl is even a good example because the movie itself is actually ABOUT that thing, rather than it just being this odd affectation unrelated to the plot. It's more like if a movie had the characters driving cross-country with a couch tied to their car, just because it's so REAL, right? People do that right?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
A pity they couldn't have gotten Parker Posey. Or would that have been too much?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised so many people hated that episode. Well, not surprised, really. I hate that kind of movie, so I got more of a kick out it than most.

I mean I loathe that whole genre. I literally cannot think of a single one I've not hated.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just saw it, and that was a huge miss for me.

So you're sending up low-budget dramas but have no particularly good ideas? You can't excuse lack of quality through labeling it a parody. Every joke fell flat for me, and considering there's no fallout for any of the four friends relationship from episode to episode, who even cares?

So yeah, poor jokes based on thoroughly retrodden ideas.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
This episode was fairly amazing.

The trucker is my favorite.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
The shot of the Lego Ron Howards at the funeral might actually be my favorite joke in the series. I'm blown away that anyone could not like this episode.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Semper Fudge posted:

The shot of the Lego Ron Howards at the funeral might actually be my favorite joke in the series. I'm blown away that anyone could not like this episode.

I'm really floored about the negative response, too. I thought this was wonderful satire, and while I did miss Roger and Stan, there were many laugh out loud moments. I was never bored and I was bummed when it ended.

I also appreciate the irony of Zooey Deschanel doing the voice; that was cool of her to poke fun of the kind of films she is in.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

The_Doctor posted:

And the 'yelling off a cliff in the rain' thing was straight out of Garden State.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"A railroad gypsy took away my vas deferens but you are bumming me out" is one of the greatest lines ever. That trucker owned so much.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
I'm in the "episode was amazing!" camp. It left with with a vague sense of melancholy, as if I'd just watch an actual artsy fartsy indie film.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I really think it could've done with more of the cake slicing plot. A lot better than last weeks episode but it's not one I'd rewatch anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

CODChimera posted:

I really think it could've done with more of the cake slicing plot. A lot better than last weeks episode but it's not one I'd rewatch anytime soon.

Yeah, I think it was really good at being an actual lovely artsy indie film, with a good sense of parody there too. But if they hadn't had the guts rumbling the house outside and Roger informing us of Hideki's fate I wouldn't have walked away feeling too good about it. I appreciate it, but wouldn't rewatch it too eagerly.

God I hate those stupid films.

• Locked thread