Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

ILL ON PZONES posted:

Dude they are trying to gently caress up Office. Last time I thought about buying it, they didn't even want to sell it. They want you on Office 365, which is a cloud app you have to pay monthly/yearly for, and they also want you to be using their cloud storage service which is totally different than Google's because we're Microsoft and we promise we won't use your data to compete against you/sell to advertisers/the NSA.

My university switched to Office 365, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones to do so.

But I can't believe just how stupid it sounds. A monthly/yearly fee for Office? What the hell is this poo poo?

As for commercials: gently caress that K-Mart ad for all eternity. Holy poo poo that thing pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reagan posted:

My university switched to Office 365, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones to do so.

But I can't believe just how stupid it sounds. A monthly/yearly fee for Office? What the hell is this poo poo?

As for commercials: gently caress that K-Mart ad for all eternity. Holy poo poo that thing pisses me off.

Office365 is actually pretty tame as far as online services go. Go look up Adobe Creative Cloud for some real lovely service prices.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Office365 is actually pretty tame as far as online services go. Go look up Adobe Creative Cloud for some real lovely service prices.

I wonder if they're both getting desperate with more and more alternatives existing. For a while it was a real pain not to have Word but now any good text editor can read and export to .doc well enough.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

Even at $50 dollars a month, Creative Cloud is actually decent for what you're getting out of it. For what you are getting now from CC, it would require buying the top tier Creative Suite at a few thousand dollars. In addition, there's applications that you can find a cheap and easy alternative, too, like Flash and Premiere.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Speaking of dumb trends, I'm getting really tired of all these "Keep Calm and..." posters.

I know, right? What is up with every loving idiot doing some dumb riff on "Keep Calm and Carry On" anyway? Absolutely none of them are clever in any way but it seems like a billion of them have popped up over the past year or so.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

raditts posted:

I know, right? What is up with every loving idiot doing some dumb riff on "Keep Calm and Carry On" anyway? Absolutely none of them are clever in any way but it seems like a billion of them have popped up over the past year or so.

I came here to keep calm and chew bubblegum, and I still have half a pack of bubblegum.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

raditts posted:

It was actually nice when only anglophiles and history buffs knew about it, a representation of how the British were expected to act during WWII even in the face of utter defeat.

And now it's just a stupid GEEK CHIC thing for some reason where the parody is more popular than anything. Ugh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I work at a hospital and they've had the standard "Keep calm and carry on" posters up for years. I'm not sure if it's due to the meme or someone in administration just thought the motto was a good idea.

EDIT: \/ Canadian. Close enough I suppose.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 1, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

I work at a hospital and they've had the standard "Keep calm and carry on" posters up for years. I'm not sure if it's due to the meme or someone in administration just thought the motto was a good idea.

First off, are you British?

I think that the reason is the meme is still around is that the original source material is essentially public domain since it was both developed by the (British) government as well as being released used in 1939. It's pretty much the British version of Rosie the Riveter (discounting the Ronnie the Bren Gun Girl for a moment) and "We Can Do It!".

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's cheap and easy and requires zero effort to co-opt for your own brand. It's like how everybody made a Harlem Shake video because you don't have to actually do anything creative, just flail in front of a camera for 10 seconds and hit "upload".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's cheap and easy and requires zero effort to co-opt for your own brand. It's like how everybody made a Harlem Shake video because you don't have to actually do anything creative, just flail in front of a camera for 10 seconds and hit "upload".

Yeah, but even with viral sensations, memes have become notorious IP traps. One just needs to look at Rage Comics and Slenderman, memes that look like they're public domain but still have a creator behind it that can easily swoop in with a pack of lawyers and take all their profits. If Bauuer, the DJ who created that snippet used in those Harlem Shake videos, wanted to enforce his copyright, he has full legal right to do so. He probably won't because the viral videos acted like advertising for the single and got him the top of the Billboard 100 for five weeks in a row.

Reading through the wikipedia article on it, "Keep Calm" almost had the same thing, where some uncreative douchebags tried to copyright the term in the EU and the UK, but got their asses handed to them when both nations said they the slogan had been in circulation before their claim and had no trade origin for them to have a legitimate claim to.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 1, 2013

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Rirse posted:

At the pace the XBone, their tablets, and Window 8 are going, I wouldn't be surprised Microsoft goes out of business in a few years from now...ironically bought out by Google.

Wouldn't that create a monopoly? Or does Apple count?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

AGirlWonder posted:

Wouldn't that create a monopoly? Or does Apple count?

It's not even worth thinking about because the idea of Microsoft going out of business sooner than a decade or two from now at the very least is absurd.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It very much depends on which sector you're talking about too, Microsoft going bye bye in mobile phones for example would change nothing, them going bye bye in word processors or operating systems would be quite different.

None of that is happening though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The most likely scenario would be something similar to HP spinning off their medical devices into a separate company, although hopefully Microsoft isn't dumb enough to do that since their equivalent to that part of the company is basically the Office Team.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2d0WmTDiM

Oh badass, "A Swedish House Mafia" Christmas! The special the music world has been demanding for years.

(seriously it's just a lame acura commercial that rips off the video for "greyhound" pretty hard).

e: With Special Guests Avicii, Ylvis, Zedd and Porter Robinson!

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 2, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
that would be like having a horribly repetitive ad campaign OR annoying commercials

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

New Lexus holiday ads feature an obviously bored out of their minds bonkers rich hot white couple with nothing better to do around the holidays than make car-sized bows for their 3 brand spanking new Lexuses.

Get a loving dog or something. God drat.

Turns out in later versions of the commercial, they got a dog.

And a Grandpa
And Kids

Anyway, I was looking for the commercials on YouTube since they really bother me and I had no luck, so I Google'd it and someone else was as bothered about them as I was. And that article includes the 3 versions of the commercial, and the article isn't that funny.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/11/50-questions-bow-making-family-2013-lexus-christmas-commercials/

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2d0WmTDiM

Oh badass, "A Swedish House Mafia" Christmas! The special the music world has been demanding for years.

(seriously it's just a lame acura commercial that rips off the video for "greyhound" pretty hard).

e: With Special Guests Avicii, Ylvis, Zedd and Porter Robinson!

Oh man, Acura, I was just thinking about your commercials from a few years ago and how they were the best...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHaVW_FbFZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jumi90NyXio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyx22NIyjJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R13LeTWSDLw

It couldn't last forever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Turns out in later versions of the commercial, they got a dog.

And a Grandpa
And Kids

Wonder how long it took them to make giant bows for those.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Doctor Butts posted:

New Lexus holiday ads feature an obviously bored out of their minds bonkers rich hot white couple with nothing better to do around the holidays than make car-sized bows for their 3 brand spanking new Lexuses.

If you are bonkers rich, you sure as gently caress are not buying a god-drat Lexus anyway.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Nerdfest X posted:

If you are bonkers rich, you sure as gently caress are not buying a god-drat Lexus anyway.

If I were rich, i'd buy a Lexus.

Then enter it into a demolition derby at a state fair.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The fact that they appear to live in a castle and are making bows for cars they already own had me all confused. I thought maybe they were supposed to be some super hip Santa and Mrs Clause or something but that doesn't make any sense

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nerdfest X posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LFA

This would be the exception.

I want to say a few NASCAR drivers have them (due to Toyota being involved in the series).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
They only made 500 of those and unless you were already somebody important in the automotive world, you weren't able to buy one no matter how much money you had

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LFA

This would be the exception.

I want to say a few NASCAR drivers have them (due to Toyota being involved in the series).

The cars being advertised, the ones that were getting bows put on them in the commercial in question were NOT one of the cars in that link.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nerdfest X posted:

The cars being advertised, the ones that were getting bows put on them in the commercial in question were NOT one of the cars in that link.

I know, but I'm saying, if I was insanely rich that would be the one exception in terms of buying a Lexus.

The only other situation I can see is if you like how reliable Toyota/Honda's were, and trust the brand. (including Acura in this argument).

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes seem far more appealing to me in the "gently caress you, I'm rich" category.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAtYK313CHY

gently caress this girl and her loser boyfriend(s).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

On the next 16 and pregnant.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

It amuses me that comments and ratings are disabled for that video.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Timett posted:

The fact that they appear to live in a castle and are making bows for cars they already own had me all confused. I thought maybe they were supposed to be some super hip Santa and Mrs Clause or something but that doesn't make any sense

Maybe it's Christmas presents for the household staff?

"Cook, we got you a sedan for Christmas, so that you might drive to Maine to pick up lobsters for us, or down to Maryland if we decide we want crab. Nanny dear, we got you a station wagon to transport Billy and Susie back and forth to private school. Jeeves, here are the keys to a coupe, Merry Christmas!"

"I'll remind you again, Madam, my name is Robert. I have told you many times in the 12 years I have been in your employ my name is Robert"

"Yes, thank you, Jeeves. That will be all."

The couple then turn to look at each other in silence. She then puts her hand on her husband's forearm and they both throw their heads back and laugh and laugh.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I still wonder how these guys converse with other guys.

Like what the hell are their hobbies? They don't look like the types who'd be into reading comics/books, playing video games, watching football, or doing anything really of interest.

Can you imagine trying to start a conversation with a guy like this at the bar?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still wonder how these guys converse with other guys.

Bro 1: yo that chick Lindsay is totally hot.
Bro 2: ya, just wait for the party this weekend. She's gonna eat all my yogurt.

--------------------

Actually the thing I hate most about that commercial is how she says "orange crem". What the hell is "crem"?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTcOrqYTM4Y

I don't need a man with me when I buy a car!

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
What makes me mad is that is like the hottest teenage dude I've ever seen like what the gently caress look at that guy he's gorgeous.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Get a loving dog or something. God drat.
EPG made a great front page article about Lexus commercials two years ago, which were even worse than the ones we have now. They operated under the assumption that everyone knows the "Lexus December to Remember" jingle.

Speaking of holiday car commercials, what the gently caress, Honda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mgkcXs7_M

Michael Bolton? Is the CEO one of ten people alive who like his music or something?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

There's a commercial for some car or another that has one for girls and one for guys. In both cases it starts with them throwing a dart at a map to pick a place to go. In the guy's one, it highlights all the cool poo poo you can do with the car and has them go on a crazy adventure with a car chase in San Francisco. In the girl's one, it highlights all the ways that the car can drive itself so you don't have to watch for obstacles or learn to park and has them go shoe shopping.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cobalt Chloride posted:

There's a commercial for some car or another that has one for girls and one for guys. In both cases it starts with them throwing a dart at a map to pick a place to go. In the guy's one, it highlights all the cool poo poo you can do with the car and has them go on a crazy adventure with a car chase in San Francisco. In the girl's one, it highlights all the ways that the car can drive itself so you don't have to watch for obstacles or learn to park and has them go shoe shopping.

Dodge Dart. The girls one has them going shoe shopping in Beverly Hills.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I see that fancy German castle couple fashioning ultra-bows for cars, I think of that Frasier episode where Frasier is trying to convince Niles his place is too big for one person and Martin gets lost and ends up in the gift wrapping room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

The new Windows phone commercial with the codependent girlfriend who chose her new phone based on its ability to take pictures of her boyfriend just set feminism back 50 years/makes me viciously uncomfortable.