Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
The To Do List was a pretty good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Have you seen the original UK series? It's even better, and ends on the perfect note.

(And David Brent is way more sympathetic than Michael Scott.)

Ha ha what? You've got it way backwards. There is no sympathizing with David Brent, he is a deservedly contemptible little man. A totally clueless, horrible self centered man. That's what makes the Office brilliant, watching this delusional guy stumble through his miserable life. Michael Scott is not as bad and at least shows moments of being human over the course of the series.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Wandle Cax posted:

Ha ha what? You've got it way backwards. There is no sympathizing with David Brent, he is a deservedly contemptible little man. A totally clueless, horrible self centered man. That's what makes the Office brilliant, watching this delusional guy stumble through his miserable life. Michael Scott is not as bad and at least shows moments of being human over the course of the series.

Really, it's moments like the Halloween party that really got me. He's an rear end but, jesus, the guy just looks so loving pathetic.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
In House of Cards does Kevin Spacey turning to the camera and doing smarmy monologues go beyond the first episode? It's infuriating on almost every level.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope he doesn't do it again

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Pretty much every episode.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Guess I won't be watching it then, thanks.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

In House of Cards does Kevin Spacey turning to the camera and doing smarmy monologues go beyond the first episode? It's infuriating on almost every level.

The camera turning stuff is one of the best facets of the character. He's such an rear end in a top hat, but he's so good at it. Plus, Kevin Spacey is just naturally charming as hell.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Its still probably worth a shot. House of Cards manages to be an entertaining and captivating show despite shallow exploration of relatively bland observations. Its the serialized equivalent of a really good episode of Law and Order. With drat fine production values.

Other than the occasional monologue, they usually dial back the length of Underwood's asides to a few sentences or Jim Halpert style mugging. And they become less grating when you start to realize those chest-thumping asides are less about breaking the 4th wall to put us inside a mastermind's head than they are about showing Frank's weakness in reassuring and reasserting himself, occasionally even in the face of entirely opposite circumstances surrounding him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha Hostages is so bad the AV Club reviewer gave it a sarcastic A.

quote:

To give "Off The Record" an F is to merely acknowledge what is obvious. This show is garbage. Hostages is reheated disaster fare, too disappointing to be shocking, and too tepid to be fun. In its 11th hour it has taken the odd move of throwing every possible plot development at the wall at the same time, as if none of it before ever mattered. The approach all but guarantees that nothing the show does from here on out will ever matter again.

When I was in high school, several of the juniors and seniors were encouraged to take Advanced Placement courses, a type of college-credit course that is graded on a scale of 1 to 5 on a standardized rubric. It was rumored that there was a grade even lower than 1, though. A zero? No, not really. "A hyphen," a classmate said, laughing. It's so bad, it can't even be graded. Like you wrote in Mandarin on the Spanish Language exam.

Hostages is right now at the hyphen level of broadcast television. It's doing the minimum required to show up to the screen. It is manifesting basic brain function. It does, as far as we can tell, exist. But it has been more or less on par with an infomercial. How do you grade an infomercial? N/A—not applicable. This is not a medium that invites criticism.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there a chart somewhere that just tells me when I should stop watching a show? It seems like barely any are as good at the beginning as they are at the end. I mean, other media doesn't have this problem, why is it just TV?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Austrian mook posted:

Is there a chart somewhere that just tells me when I should stop watching a show? It seems like barely any are as good at the beginning as they are at the end. I mean, other media doesn't have this problem, why is it just TV?

The only correct answer to this is when you're tired of it. Anyone else giving you a different answer is objectively wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm well, the chart I use is when my loving brain tells me I'm not enjoying the show anymore.

Deadpool posted:

Anyone else giving you a different answer is objectively wrong.

Except me when I say "Stop watching Heroes after the first season".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deadpool posted:

The only correct answer to this is when you're tired of it. Anyone else giving you a different answer is objectively wrong.

zoux posted:

Hmmm well, the chart I use is when my loving brain tells me I'm not enjoying the show anymore.

So you don't think there are any shows that have dips in quality, only to return to form later?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

It seems like barely any are as good at the beginning as they are at the end. I mean, other media doesn't have this problem, why is it just TV?

Musicians get progressively less relevant as they age. Movie sequels are notoriously awful. Book sequels, if they're ever finished, are typically worse than the original (Harry Potter being the exception that proves the rule). The only media that improves over time are video games, and really only because they have to keep up with the standards of the day.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Musicians get progressively less relevant as they age. Movie sequels are notoriously awful. Book sequels, if they're ever finished, are typically worse than the original (Harry Potter being the exception that proves the rule). The only media that improves over time are video games, and really only because they have to keep up with the standards of the day.

I don't like any of the Harry Potters that much aside from the 3rd but maybe that's because I'm weird. (Also I only remember the movies it's been a while since I read the books)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

thexerox123 posted:

So you don't think there are any shows that have dips in quality, only to return to form later?

It's very rare. Friday Night Lights pulled it together after a second season marred by some terrible choices. Supernatural seasons 1, 6, and 7 were, by my understanding, uneven at best and dull at worst.

That's literally all I can think of, though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

It's very rare. Friday Night Lights pulled it together after a second season marred by some terrible choices. Supernatural seasons 1, 6, and 7 were, by my understanding, uneven at best and dull at worst.

I wouldn't call it that rare. Six Feet Under had a season that I just hated getting through, but then it went on to have one of the best series finales of all time.

I'm sure everyone's encountered at least one show that lost them for awhile but went on to redeem itself.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

I wouldn't call it that rare. Six Feet Under had a season that I just hated getting through, but then it went on to have one of the best series finales of all time.

Which one?

Just curious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Walking Dead is an obvious one happening currently.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Which one?

Just curious.

It's been awhile... I think it was season 3? Or possibly 4. (But I think it was 3.) I know other people who stalled at the same place, whichever it was.

I guess I should rewatch SFU at some point, my memory of it is pretty hazy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't like Season 3 either, it was the one with Lisa. For the first half it felt like it was a dream and none of it was happening. And then the finale had a stupidly shocking ending that came out of nowhere. Overall really forgettable season and they kept trying to shoehorn Brenda into the story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thexerox123 posted:

That wasn't the question. The question was whether there was a guide or chart to when one should stop watching a show. The only person that should decide this is the person watching the show. Other people's opinions on the quality shouldn't really dictate when someone should stop watching a show. It doesn't hurt to get opinions on what other people think of the path of the show but asking for definitive jump off points based in some stranger's opinion is just not the way to do it.

Just watch a show until you don't want to watch it anymore. It really is that simple.

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 3, 2013

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Austrian mook posted:

I agree with the people who said you should stop watching when you decide it's time to stop watching, but that said, yes, there are charts: http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deadpool posted:

That wasn't the question. The question was was there a guide or chart to when one should stop watching a show. The only person that should decide this is the person watching the show. Other people's opinions on the quality shouldn't really dictate when someone should stop watching a show. It doesn't hurt to get opinions on what other people think if the path of the show but asking for definitive jump off points based in some stranger's opinion is just not the way to do it.

Just watch a show until you don't want to watch it anymore. It really is that simple.

But my point was, if you follow that rule, then you might stop during one of these dips in quality and miss out on some really great stuff. I've soldiered through bits of shows that I hated because reliable sources told me that there was good stuff still to come.

Edit: I guess that's what you meant about getting opinions on what other people think of the path of the show, but I don't see how that's really any different from checking out a chart of those opinions and taking that with a grain of salt.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 3, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Parks and Rec doesn't come to mind?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Parks and Rec doesn't come to mind?

P&R is still tailspinning into mediocrity, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irish Joe posted:

You're not funny when you're obvious, man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's right though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Irish Joe posted:

I feel like we are living in a sitcom, and one of the punch lines is, "and there's Irish Joe!" <queue Irish Joe theme>

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Killing did a rather amazing about face in the third season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey I know a lot of y'all hate Dan Harmon, but on the most recent episode of Harmontown he had on his good friend and creator of TVIV favorite Arrested Development Mitch Hurwitz and they bullshit and ruminate about the process behind creating television and it's loving spellbinding. What's most interesting is how Hurwitz and Harmon even admit how similar their situations were when creating their shows, and Hurwitz shows behind the veil on the difficulties getting his creative vision accomplished within the confines of the restrictions 20th Century Fox placed on him- for instance, he mentions how the entire "Wait, Gary's gay?" scene almost got cut.

Oh also Hurwitz roleplays a bird in an episode of D and D.

So i guess my point is if you care at all about how TV is made and more specifically how one of the commonly-considered greatest sitcoms of all time WAS made then you should really listen to this podcast. It's loving fascinating poo poo. Here.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

zoux posted:

He's right though.

What you both deserve:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not bad by any stretch yet, but the characters are starting to become caricatures. Especially Ron. You can see it coming, and I hope they end it soon and gracefully.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

zoux posted:

It's not bad by any stretch yet, but the characters are starting to become caricatures. Especially Ron. You can see it coming, and I hope they end it soon and gracefully.

"Starting to"? The Swanson Pyramid of Greatness was in the first episode of season three! For me, Parks and Rec became unwatchable somewhere in the middle of season four. The Louis CK return episode was horrible and was probably the last straw.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's play a fun game: post the intro/credits scenes of TV shows that you had no idea existed and probably no one else did either;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN-jx3yMNuM

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The sooner P&R ends the better remembered it will be. I already struggle to give a poo poo week by week.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

zoux posted:

Let's play a fun game: post the intro/credits scenes of TV shows that you had no idea existed and probably no one else did either;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN-jx3yMNuM

This intro was cast from the same mold as the Full House intro. It's eerie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

The sooner P&R ends the better remembered it will be. I already struggle to give a poo poo week by week.

I have an affection for the characters, but I've got multiple episodes queuing up on my DVR while Brooklyn 9-9 gets watched immediately. There's been some nice bits (Patton Oswalt's Star Wars rant, etc.), but the laughs just aren't that dense anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think Deep Space Nine got consistently better with the seasons with exception of almost everything to do with the Pah Wraiths.

Pretty much also Terminator:SCC, Caprica, and Stargate Universe survived rough patches to start going through a really good upswing, IMO, just to have them cancelled.

For all the hate Stargate Universe got, I did rather enjoy the show.

Edit: I think I've mentioned this in this thread, too, but there are some shows that I've watched that I can also say you can skip a very large chunk of and not miss anything except some unimpressive episodes. The Awesomes can be completely skipped except for the first episode or two and the final four or five. It doesn't get really good or anything, but it gets a lot better in those windows.

Similarly, the Dirty Pair anime can likely be skipped for most of its first 10 episodes. You can likely start up going from episode 1 then jump to 10 or 11 for a much better experience.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 3, 2013

• Locked thread