Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think so. I'm playing the PS3 version which, honestly, seems to be super unstable, but yeah, it's happened five times or so by now. Pretty much every single Ironman playthrough I've attempted.

That aside, there's also been a lot of other bugs; enemies becoming impervious to any kind of explosives, etc. etc. Including a resurgence of some bugs that were in Enemy Unknown which is really inexcusable.

I like the game, hell, I love the game, but it feels like a step backwards when I'm forced to play a style of game I don't like as much just to avoid bugs that really shouldn't have been present. Not to mention that on my recent non-ironman playthrough to circumvent the dangers of that bug I got the infamous 'no enemies spawn on the final mission' bug three times in a row. I'm pretty sure that bug was patched out of Enemy Unknown. How does that happen?

I have it on Xbox 360 and my first playthrough was bug free. On my next classic playthrough, i have encountered the freeze bug many times. More frequently as the game goes on. I think it has something to do with overwatch and training roulette. I only ever freeze when an enemy is fleeing, and it triggers something on a class that doesn't normally have a skill on vanilla.
Just a guess but i'm pretty sure it happens alot more if you have training roulette selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
I'd like to remind everyone that, as far as I can tell, Slingshot's missions were actually pushed back a month. The first mission happens late in the second month, and the second and third happen in the third. So it's a lot easier now than it used to be, but also doesn't make the game incredibly easy either.

Also, yeah, when talking about bugs you should really mention your platform.

ShineDog posted:

It's included in Enemy Within, and EW adds a ton of good poo poo. If you can grab it, do.
Only for consoles.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You can also cheese (well, not cheese, but make considerably easier) the slingshot missions with gene upgrades now, so the train mission isn't the bloodbath it used to be.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A FIST MEC in the train mission is good too. They have extra movement so they can smash forwards quickly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've been sticking with my strategy for earning the achievement (4 turns or less) on the train mission.

A SS sniper to deal with the few thinmen and two sprinters to hit all the buttons at once. You prep by hitting the first button on your second turn with the sniper, rush your sprinters up the train as fast as possible while staying in high cover. Kill the first muton that drops next to the empty rail line with your fourth unit (I usually have a rapid fire shotgun assault for that) and ignore the rest. On turns three and four your sniper should be taking out any thinmen on overwatch. You can activate the last three buttons and get to the cockpit all in the same (4th) turn.

Trying to earn the achievement that first time took a while to figure it out but that strategy has worked for me every time. This works great if you don't have lasers yet since your two killers won't even have theirs researched on your best day any ways.

e: This all falls apart if thin men land two really lucky shots on your sprinters but if you're dashing into high cover with every move you've got the advantage.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 3, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I don't think the aliens appreciated me capturing a Sectoid by bending its spine in half as the Terror Mission triggered before March was over.

This is my A team going into it as a result. :v:

e; three dead, 11 civilians killed. Christ, this is going to be a rough campaign.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 3, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ditch the vest and medkit next time and bring more grenades. What good is a few HP when a chryssalid will just gut you in one swing?

e: I've been playing recently with Absolutely Critical on so it kinda biases me, but with that early of a terror mission you need all the damage output you can get

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, been using vests to try and combat my attrition rate - something which seem to have backfired as everyone died to a critical hit anyway. Still, I've lucked out a bit and secured a boat load of funding so I can afford to get a couple more uplinks running which will then push me straight into getting all of South America under my protection. I can then start tearing bodies open, cobble together some carapace and work towards lasers.

I can still do this. :ohdear:

e; it's April why the gently caress are Mutons here so soon. :catstare:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
3 dead and 11 civilians snuffed on a ballistics-only run of a terror mission sounds to me like you kicked rear end and took names, dude. I mean just pointing out the obvious here.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Also, you don't actually count rookies in your fatalities. Central just files them under "rejected candidates." :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just feel so guilty seeing them die on their first mission, hahaha. I mean, yeah, they're going to have to lose that naive and optimistic view of what they're getting involved with but still! Think of all the letters Bradford has to write.

The Commander of XCOM asks that I extend his deep sympathy in the loss of your INSERT RELATION HERE Rookie Cortez PERIOD Report just received states he died in [AREA OF ENGAGEMENT] on [DATE OF CASUALTY] as the result of [PLASMA BURNS TO GROIN]. PERIOD Confirming letter follows

Coolguye posted:

3 dead and 11 civilians snuffed on a ballistics-only run of a terror mission sounds to me like you kicked rear end and took names, dude. I mean just pointing out the obvious here.

I said it was rough not that it was a failure. :colbert:

e; speaking of Rookies, holy poo poo. One of them just dodged a Thin Man's attack while in the open and responded with a smug "that all you got". I need to get her into a MEC, pronto.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 3, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'll make a nominal effort to save at least one civilian, but otherwise they're on their own. In fact, I always quietly give a little cheer when an alien 'wastes' a turn one-shotting a civilian instead of one my dudes. It seems to me like the most important factor for saving the most civilians is killing all the aliens as quickly as possible. Actually trying to race up and save them is counterproductive. There are quite a few urban terror maps where I haven't seen most of the map because the gun fight attract all the aliens and I mop them up from near the LZ or the wall of the closest adjacent building.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For the record Asia is the best place for the Xcom base, all the officer school upgrades are really important to quickly getting a squad of experienced soldiers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, yeah. This campaign's a complete wash - because Mutons have popped up in April they're tearing the poo poo out of my soldiers, even the ones wearing Carapace, and I'm losing too many missions to control the panic with the few sats I have. Time for a restart on this one, I think.

What the hell triggers Mutons to come in? I've never had them appear so fast.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

etalian posted:

For the record Asia is the best place for the Xcom base, all the officer school upgrades are really important to quickly getting a squad of experienced soldiers.

You don't get huge benefits from the Asia Start until April. Starting elsewhere and sat rushing South America in April and Asia in March is a common strat. It's still pretty good though. IMO all of the continents can have good starts in EW.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't think the aliens appreciated me capturing a Sectoid by bending its spine in half as the Terror Mission triggered before March was over.

This is my A team going into it as a result. :v:

e; three dead, 11 civilians killed. Christ, this is going to be a rough campaign.

:raise:

wha?

Terror mission is supposed to hit somewhere in the second month, never the first. That's ... bizarre. Just more proof that rushing the alien base is a bad idea, I guess.

Also I just had a weird beneficial bug. I had Zhang suppress one of the crit men at the start of Gangplank. It shoots at him and misses (for once). Then another one drops in nearby during the alien turn and he goes all SHANGHAI RAGE and turns his machinegun on the new critman, taking him out in one shot. So that was kinda weird.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

So. . when you have dudes with lightning reflexes, and you run them through some ridiculous gauntlet of fire and they come through unscathed, does anyone else here think of the naked, greased-up deaf guy on Family Guy? Cause whenever one of my guys does that, I can't help but say "You're never gonna catch me, you may as well just give up" as the terrain all around the guy explodes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mr Dog posted:

Also I just had a weird beneficial bug. I had Zhang suppress one of the crit men at the start of Gangplank. It shoots at him and misses (for once). Then another one drops in nearby during the alien turn and he goes all SHANGHAI RAGE and turns his machinegun on the new critman, taking him out in one shot. So that was kinda weird.

Does your Zhang have Danger Zone (the one that increases the radius of your rockets)? If so that also turns Suppression into an area effect ability.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish the game would tell you how much money your starting country will give you before you select a continent when you're playing with New Economy. I started in Asia and Japan is only paying me 70 simoleons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

etalian posted:

Africa, with a 5 sat first month that covers NA and SA, is way stronger. Of course you do need to be a little lucky to have it work out. I can pretty consistently get up at least SA and the US though which puts you in a great position for April, and gives you way more money and much faster research times. The officer school upgrades really aren't that expensive anyways, and by the time you get the foundry up and running too you're probably bottlenecked by the other resources.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

amanasleep posted:

You don't get huge benefits from the Asia Start until April. Starting elsewhere and sat rushing South America in April and Asia in March is a common strat. It's still pretty good though. IMO all of the continents can have good starts in EW.

The North America benefit is not too useful and Europe is not too good either due to engineers being more useful than scientists for the early game economic challenge.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Europe someone's gonna have to explain to me how to best use them. I can see the appeal of workshops and labs but for me they always end up being a tertiary thing - by the time I'm comfortable building stuff that isn't considered 'vital' I tend to be swimming in money and resources anyway, so the bonuses from those things fall by the wayside as I start doing other stuff. I've just never really invested in them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of Europe someone's gonna have to explain to me how to best use them. I can see the appeal of workshops and labs but for me they always end up being a tertiary thing - by the time I'm comfortable building stuff that isn't considered 'vital' I tend to be swimming in money and resources anyway, so the bonuses from those things fall by the wayside as I start doing other stuff. I've just never really invested in them.

It's not too useful a starting continent since the biggest challenge starting out is getting on firm economic footing for the rest of the game.

I guess this is why Africa tends to be the recommended choice.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I've been playing a game on the Diminishing returns Second Wave option and Europe has been kind of useful there. Satellite 7 requires about 1500 and 67 Engineers to build. Looks like I'm going to be halting production there and building enough labs to try to tech rush the end game before panic overwhelms me.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

etalian posted:

The North America benefit is not too useful and Europe is not too good either due to engineers being more useful than scientists for the early game economic challenge.

The NA benefit is having early extra money. You get +80 credits in March and +140 to +180 credits (or more) in April vs. other countries. The best use of the NA start is the standard Sat rush. Build 3-4 sats in March, pick up Asia or SA + half of Asia in April, Base Assault in May, then roll out the rest of the game with insane cash.

Europe's bonus is that if you do double Workshops or Double Labs in March you can get off to a faster money start than NA and be ahead on engineers or research. But you cannot execute a stronger sat rush than NA, so you will likely only be able to do 1 Sat in March then 3 in April. Europe is good for an Alien Base Assault rush strategy to try and assault the Alien base by April 29. With just Portent you can have 15 engineers with just one Abduction engineer reward, which means that double workshops is almost guaranteed with a Europe start. Add a MEC lab and you will start getting 14% rebates on all of your manufacturing plus the up front cost savings of having 20 engineers in March.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So the common strategy is NOT to put satellites on the most panicked countries, but to actually do it continent by continent? I always just put satellites on the worst countries! :O

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

redreader posted:

So the common strategy is NOT to put satellites on the most panicked countries, but to actually do it continent by continent? I always just put satellites on the worst countries! :O

You're going to lose some anyways. As long as they're all confined to a single continent you don't mind losing (Europe) I usually just let them go.

Plus then you can cover everything you care about in a 4x4 block without bothering to research or build a nexus (which are dumb).

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Continent bonuses and locking out abductions are important to long term survival on the harder difficulties. Jettisoning a few countries along the way to secure the midgame economy/research is entirely reasonable.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Babby's first impossible terror mission: I somehow bumbled through it with 3 excellent ratings using terrestrial weapons and my B-team. :stare:

Zore posted:

You're going to lose some anyways. As long as they're all confined to a single continent you don't mind losing (Europe) I usually just let them go.

Unless New Economy puts all the money in Europe. Then you have problems. :v:

Also, are Paladins straight up better then Wardens and Sentinels?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 3, 2013

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Anias posted:

Continent bonuses and locking out abductions are important to long term survival on the harder difficulties. Jettisoning a few countries along the way to secure the midgame economy/research is entirely reasonable.

There is one thing that this does that is a little problematic, namely that by clearing a continent of abductions the other continents will receive more abductions making their panic rise faster. What this translates to is that going for coverage over saving as many as you can is a very all in strategy, because if you don't finish covering the three continents you need covered for the bonus quickly they are likely to escalate their panic beyond controllable means.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

redreader posted:

Depends-- if you can afford interceptors for the continents you deploy to, and are plan to complete coverage on one of them by the next month, it's OK. The trouble comes from not being able to deal with panic/UFOs if you spread yourself too thin.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

Babby's first impossible terror mission: I somehow bumbled through it with 3 excellent ratings using terrestrial weapons and my B-team. :stare:

Unless New Economy puts all the money in Europe. Then you have problems. :v:

RE: MEC suits, yes.

The only terror mission I wasn't ashamed to reload to get a different map was the first one on Classic Marathon. Facing it with my 4 man half-rookie B-team with nothing but ballistics was a total crapshoot.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Two unrelated questions. One, is there a way to disable the 2k/Firaxis logos on startup?

The other being, has there been any indication of major DLC coming after EW or is Terror From the Deep 2020 or whatever more likely?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm only a Classic player but I tend to ditch labs and love workshops. The extra engineers means a little more flexibility as far as mission rewards, since they give me another source for engineers and taking the cash missions doesn't crimp my satellite rushing. And the adjacency bonuses mean $20 here, $35 there, enough to buy new recruits at intervals during the month with money that can't get stolen by EXALT, so I don't get stuck waiting for end of the month to replenish the ranks.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Anatharon posted:

Each MEC rank gains a new ability and more HP over the previous. If you have the Meld and Money to spare it's worth upgrading.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
When do people build their first meld building by? I realise they made it cheap for a reason but if I'm doing a satellite rush for the first 3 months then it's hard to fit much more in than officer training school and the required power nodes. Do people really restart if they don't get a good steam placement in their base? I've never done that and finished classic original on ironman maybe 2-3 times. About the meld building: I've got to may twice, and still not had any meld buildings. I have given up in May on both of my EW games :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dunno, I can't imagine why someone would save-scum the steam placements on classic. Base management is really easy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

redreader posted:

It depends. If I can put up a satellite to save a country and cover the continent later, I will. Putting them up entirely country by country is going to result in abduction missions popping up in countries that you've just covered with a satellite, meaning that you either have to go there to save it. That's a problem. My preference is to try to save continents in order of the most panicked, but if there's one country at 5 panic and my choice is to protect it or finish off protecting a continent, I'm doing the latter.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Anatharon posted:

Two unrelated questions. One, is there a way to disable the 2k/Firaxis logos on startup?

The other being, has there been any indication of major DLC coming after EW or is Terror From the Deep 2020 or whatever more likely?

EW just came out. If we're lucky and they're going to do another we're unlikely to hear anything until at LEAST early next summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Fintilgin posted:

EW just came out. If we're lucky and they're going to do another we're unlikely to hear anything until at LEAST early next summer.

I thought they said they planned 2 more DLC's, when they released slingshot?

• Locked thread