Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TheMcD posted:

I'd wager there's some sort of innate desire to discuss interesting plotpoints, which almost always end up being spoilers. The LPer talks about something that is a bit foreshadowy, and then it's like the floodgates have been opened. One guy says something, then somebody else pitches in, and then poo poo gets hosed.

The thing is that there's nothing with that as long as people use the spoiler tags. I've never understood why that's so much of a problem. If I wasn't such a lazy gently caress I would make a flowchart of a "has it been talked about yet" type because it seems like common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Roar posted:

The thing is that there's nothing with that as long as people use the spoiler tags. I've never understood why that's so much of a problem. If I wasn't such a lazy gently caress I would make a flowchart of a "has it been talked about yet" type because it seems like common sense.

It's kind of easy to accidentally mouse over spoiler tags. Especially because there's no way of knowing when the spoiler takes place.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It's also really dumb and annoying when people talk about the ending of a game two updates into the LP, spoiler tags or no.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

djw175 posted:

Especially because there's no way of knowing when the spoiler takes place.

...What? What does that have to do with accidentally mousing over spoiler tags?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gatz posted:

...What? What does that have to do with accidentally mousing over spoiler tags?

He's actually saying that people are stupid and use spoiler tags like this, so you have no way of knowing what is being spoiled unless you actually mouseover, making it almost entirely useless to anyone except the people who don't care about spoilers. Sometimes people even spoil completely unrelated material under unmarked spoiler tags! Nasty stuff, I tell you.

Proper usage would be more like (proper usage spoilers) prefacing the spoiler tags with a brief description so people know to avoid stuff they don't want to know about.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
^ Good point. I admit that I'm guilty of the same thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's also the issue that some people want to remain unspoiled but have zero willpower when it comes to spoiler tags. I've seen LPs where the rule was "No spoilers, not even in spoiler tags" and felt that such a rule was fully justified.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's also the issue that some people want to remain unspoiled but have zero willpower when it comes to spoiler tags. I've seen LPs where the rule was "No spoilers, not even in spoiler tags" and felt that such a rule was fully justified.

Fortunately most people have been pretty good about this in the Virtue's Last Reward thread.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

geri_khan posted:

Well, it looks like youtube isn't a safe home for my Catherine LP anymore.

It doesn't SEEM to be a copyright strike, but it's not good.

That said, I suspect that CJ E&M doesn't have anything to do with Catherine and this is a false positive. I can't find any connections between them and Atlus. Do you guys think this is worth trying to dispute or contact them over?

... maybe I should just try getting on that Internet Archive...

Are you Korean, or is the Korean text from the claimant company?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

OddObserver posted:

Are you Korean, or is the Korean text from the claimant company?

CJ E&M is a Korean entertainment company.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Pretty sure CJ E&M is a company using the Youtube content ID system improperly and has nothing to do with the game publisher/devs.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think it's less a question of willpower and more of people browsing on their phones and other devices that don't handle spoiler tags properly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I felt that the "no spoilers even in spoiler tags" rule was more to stop threads from becoming more blacked-out than your average CIA document.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I felt that the "no spoilers even in spoiler tags" rule was more to stop threads from becoming more blacked-out than your average CIA document.

Considering even the Ratchet & Clank: GC thread is starting to look like this, I can understand the reasoning.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
From what I've seen, spoiler chat whether tagged or not starts to turn the LP thread into a pseudo-megathread for the game(s) rather than discussing the up-to-the-latest update themselves. BioShock Infinite is like an echo-chamber of foreshadowing and inter-related imagery so it's hard for people to talk about things without potentially opening a rift (v:v:v) and starting to discuss greater (or later) aspects of the game rather than focusing in on what "we know" per the available updates. A lot of what has happened begins to loose relevancy to the most recent update the deeper you get in to the game, up until a point where it all comes flooding back as relevant again so I can imagine for readers to strike up interesting conversation without potentially spoiling something is a challenge.

Also I realize that's just sort of a three act dramatic sequence in a nutshell but with BioShock, the ending is so purportedly grandiose and meta that people are dying to talk about how every little detail means something.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I took another look at the Content ID stuff for my Catherine videos. (the block on one video has disappeared by itself for some reason. The other is still affected) Turns out THIS is what's triggered it.

It's someone else's loving LP. They put a loving LP in the content ID system. This is just making me mad.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And then there's Unfair's latest threads which are ghost towns full of lurkers. Absolutely nothing wrong with his LPs, but nobody has anything to say. Weird.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Speedball posted:

And then there's Unfair's latest threads which are ghost towns full of lurkers. Absolutely nothing wrong with his LPs, but nobody has anything to say. Weird.
I suspect part of that is that Unfair posts updates really rapidly, so people rarely have much time to say stuff in between updates.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Speedball posted:

And then there's Unfair's latest threads which are ghost towns full of lurkers. Absolutely nothing wrong* with his LPs, but nobody has anything to say. Weird.
They lack a spark of anything unique. They are neither particularly funny, exceptionally skillful or any more informative than the average walkthrough. What is there to comment about?

(I think I mentioned before that I don't really see the point of LPing a popular game merely for the sake of LPing, without bringing anything of interest to the table)

* "Absolutely nothing wrong with" is hardly a recommendation.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

geri_khan posted:

I took another look at the Content ID stuff for my Catherine videos. (the block on one video has disappeared by itself for some reason. The other is still affected) Turns out THIS is what's triggered it.

It's someone else's loving LP. They put a loving LP in the content ID system. This is just making me mad.

Wow Youtube's automated system really is a piece of poo poo. Yeah, if you try to counter that claim I'm pretty sure the region block will get removed.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

* "Absolutely nothing wrong with" is hardly a recommendation.
You must visit other forums more, then.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I'm totally okay with the amount of comments on my LPs, getting caught up in the numbers and praise are a bad reason to LP. Sure it's nice to have someone mention they're enjoying it once in a while, but I like it a lot more when someone says my thread convinced them to buy the game. That's my ultimate goal - to show off interesting games in a solid way. Some people like Xander77 want an entertainer and that's fine, but it would be disingenuous to pretend that's me.

One question I have been wanting to ask is how to deal with unnecessary snark in general comment threads? Nothing reportable (in my opinion), just negative vibes tacked onto legitimate comments. Obviously calling people out for being a dick is discouraged by the moderators - but how do you keep the tone civil without causing problems derailing a thread?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Xander77 posted:

They lack a spark of anything unique. They are neither particularly funny, exceptionally skillful or any more informative than the average walkthrough. What is there to comment about?

I've been wondering about this myself with my current LP. Do I get hardly any replies because everyone's lurking, or is the game so niche that there's literally no audience? Am I not saying/showing enough? I peek in at other current LPs with disproportionately few replies compared to updates, and I can usually get an idea of what might be putting people off. I try not to do those things, so I wonder what else I'm missing.

If it's just a matter of VLPs being easier to digest than SSLPs, then does that mean I have to do like 20 in a row before people start noticing, or what?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

unfair posted:

Obviously calling people out for being a dick is discouraged by the moderators - but how do you keep the tone civil without causing problems derailing a thread?

Blatantly haul the subject of conversation back to the game, IMO. Lines like "So! About that <thing that happened in the most recent update>" are a not-very-subtle hint to the people in the thread that they're getting out of hand.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

unfair posted:

One question I have been wanting to ask is how to deal with unnecessary snark in general comment threads? Nothing reportable (in my opinion), just negative vibes tacked onto legitimate comments. Obviously calling people out for being a dick is discouraged by the moderators - but how do you keep the tone civil without causing problems derailing a thread?

If you think someone is treating you unfairly, you'd be quite right to call them out on it and start a dialog. If the moderators are sane they'll see it the same way. We're all (probably) adults here. Of course I'm not suggesting to throw insults around - please don't make that mistake.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

How Ingratiating! posted:

I've been wondering about this myself with my current LP. Do I get hardly any replies because everyone's lurking, or is the game so niche that there's literally no audience? Am I not saying/showing enough? I peek in at other current LPs with disproportionately few replies compared to updates, and I can usually get an idea of what might be putting people off.

As if I wasn't paranoid enough. >:[

Anyway, I've created the thread for The Cave, if anyone wants to stop in and vote on which characters should go through first!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I've been wondering about this myself with my current LP. Do I get hardly any replies because everyone's lurking, or is the game so niche that there's literally no audience? Am I not saying/showing enough? I peek in at other current LPs with disproportionately few replies compared to updates, and I can usually get an idea of what might be putting people off. I try not to do those things, so I wonder what else I'm missing.

If it's just a matter of VLPs being easier to digest than SSLPs, then does that mean I have to do like 20 in a row before people start noticing, or what?

If it makes you feel better, I'm one of those lurkers for your LP. I have nothing to say because I know literally nothing of either source, Keroro or the Tales games. It's a good LP though. :unsmith:

I'm in the same boat where I get paranoid that nobody wants to read my LP though it gets okay traffic (especially for an obscure mobile phone tie-in series) I wonder if being in that bandwagon of only just now realizing how to edit the Master List will change things. I'm not going to worry too much though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This comes up every now and again, but the truth is that some games don't inspire a ton of posts, and some times the game inspires posts that may put other readers off. I'm reading gatz' VtM:B LP now (and hoping it survives), but outside of a couple early posts I haven't done anything in the thread because

1) Other posters with more knowledge of the World of Darkness setting are answering questions I have

or

2) I have nothing else to say but "I'm reading this."

Actually, I lurk a lot of threads like that, reading but not posting too often. I think I have more posts in my own Arkham City thread than I have across all the LPs I've watched. I know a lot of people are doing the exact same thing or my threads would all be 200 pages long.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Popular or cult games do tend to get more views purely on title recognition, and sometimes the comments can be a bunch of people just talking about how great the game is while not actually caring about the LP itself (since they've already played it). Other times it can also be voting or speculation about where the game is going (if it has an intriguing plot).

It's also more difficult because you can't see view counts as easily with an SSLP to know people are watching - whereas with YouTube stuff I know that even if people aren't commenting #00 people were interested enough to watch consistently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

unfair posted:

It's also more difficult because you can't see view counts as easily with an SSLP to know people are watching - whereas with YouTube stuff I know that even if people aren't commenting #00 people were interested enough to watch consistently.

You can track the number of views your thread is getting. It doesn't give you the convenient breakdown by update that YouTube does, but as long as you're willing to write down one number each time you post an update you can see how many "views" each update gets.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I lurk a lot because for the most part all I'd have to post would be white-noise posts like "This was a good update" or "I enjoyed this latest update!"

For the most part though I kind of feel this applies to a lot of LPs:

Xander77 posted:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's probably more that a thousand different factors that affect whether one game gets a tonne of feedback compared to another. I'm noticing a huge gulf in terms of thread activity between my Torin's Passage and Shadows of the Empire LP. The former is getting regular views between updates but not a lot is being said.

Here are the possible reasons for low thread activity that I can just name off the top of my head:
-it's an obscure game
-it's a point and click adventure
-it's an older game
-it's already been LPed somewhat recently by Nidoking
-it's an SSLP
-I'm not offering any viewer choice
-it's not a jrpg or a Star Wars game
-I'm a new LPer, thus an unknown quantity, and perhaps people dont want to read my threads
-it's also my first LP, and is probably a littlw rough around the edges
-there are a tonne of major new release being LPed right now
-there are tonne of popular LPers running a thread right now.

The list goes on, I'm sure, but the point is there probably isn't one internal or external factor that accounts for low viewership. I've gotten at least one person to pick up Torin's Passage, though, so that makes it worth it for me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As for posting, I have a question.

I've read / finished almost every LP on the first four or five pages and don't even bookmark them anymore since I'm reading all of LP :v:. I know if I post "Good Job" or even a paragraph of meaningful discussion in each one, the whole forum would be "Killed by: Turtlicious." What are the rules on thread posting?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Turtlicious posted:

As for posting, I have a question.

I've read / finished almost every LP on the first four or five pages and don't even bookmark them anymore since I'm reading all of LP :v:. I know if I post "Good Job" or even a paragraph of meaningful discussion in each one, the whole forum would be "Killed by: Turtlicious." What are the rules on thread posting?

Normal forums rules along with the LP specific rules and any request the OP made about posts.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What?
Turtlicious is evolving!

*bam* *pam* *bam* *pam* *bam* *pam* *bam* *paaaaam*...

Congratulations! Your Turtlicious evolved into Glazius!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

my dad posted:

What?
Turtlicious is evolving!

Hey, no Pokemon LPs unless you have permission from the mods.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

A Bunch of Reasonable People posted:

a bunch of reasonable things

Thanks. I guess I was worrying over nothing. :shobon: Considering my future LPs are going to be much more well-known games (because I like 'em, not for popularity), I can accept my current one being niche as hell.

I'm taking it slow, anyway, what with the 2 month limit for replies/updates. :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks. I guess I was worrying over nothing. :shobon: Considering my future LPs are going to be much more well-known games (because I like 'em, not for popularity), I can accept my current one being niche as hell.

I'm taking it slow, anyway, what with the 2 month limit for replies/updates. :v:

By the way, I'm reading your Tales of Frogs LP, and it's pretty great I don't say much because I tend to read LPs in chunks, but I always look forward to the adorable spritework. Images like this:

Makes me :3:.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

What?
Turtlicious is evolving!

Glazius hasn't posted in my LP, I feel slighted, almost heartbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Speedball posted:

I swear Id's LP's are cursed or something...

I postponed an update because I wasn't happy with it. The North Carolina Department of Transportation saw it fit to shut down the only bridge leading back to my home while running an errand this morning. This is a thing that happened to me today. I am posting this from a hotel with my phone.

Now I'm not blaming returning to LPing for this... but...

• Locked thread